(1) Ladies' Night [2/13]

ashtavakra

Overlord
Haunted Water said:
ashtavakra said:
needs more attractive women...

Umm... I get your point, and I'm going to *slightly* disagree with you there.
Attractive women, yes, but women who know how to strategize effectively. That way, there's less of a chance to drag every other woman down with them by being completely idiotic (aka playing TCG like me) on how they make their decisions. I'd rather win/lose to a token minority because of fair sportsmanship than win against a token minority because of an unfair match-up.
That said, having a percentage of attractive women would probably get a lot more people to play, espescially me.
Not meaning to insult anybody, just stating my opinion. Please don't stone me over it.

you just made my point exactly, I left it open ended and broadened for a reason.
when you go to comic cons or other big conventions there is usually actually what the general public would label as "hot nerds". for example the infamous Pikachu Girl, from a con
in California, who has really been a hit over the web. We never see her at nationals, which would be a nice change of pace. there is nothing against the small woman population we have now, I have just never personally been attracted to any that I have come across, that is just my experience and my own personal opinion. On the contrary, I have seen quite a few attractive Junior Mothers.... Wowy... :D

But to enlighten the subject, I wouldn't agree if Pokemon went out to these adult nerd conventions and hired on 5 super models in pokemon bikinis sitting at a booth giving out booster packs at all. And we all know it would never happen, because the game is further more, in my eyes dying. Even though over the last 3-4 years competitive tournament population has grown. If you look at the age division, and this is what has happened in any game I've ever come across. When the eldest generation is the oldest age group, eventually the game is going to plateau and drop off the cliff.

We can all agree that the biggest age population in the entire game is probably from 18 to 23ish. So imagine in let's say maybe 9 years. When all these people have children, I'll give the benefit of the doubt that maybe down the road numbers could spike back up potentially because these players would eventually push the tcg onto their kids. But overall the games dying.

Don't know how I got onto that subject, but yeah. Hope everyone is having a wonderful Valentine's Day.

Ysmir said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sounds like to me most of these "needs more attractive women" don't have girlfriends themselves or simply value a player by how hot they are. That's pretty damn vain. My friend Heather from Tennessee runs into this problem a lot (For other games not Pokemon) cause she isn't some Katy Perry or Kate Upton. I rather lose to a girl who by general physical standards is "average" cause she beat my behind based on skill alone rather than gawk at chicks at a prerelease....if you wanna eye candy a girl do so on your own time.

When I met my beloved I didn't know what I was getting into and I fell in love with her cause of who she was not what she looked like. (We met at a online gaming event). In the end, it paid off, cause I'm a man still and I am stimulated by physical assets like any other and it just so happened my beloved is pretty and well endowed. But I don't love her for that I love her cause of the person she is and how she makes me feel.

I think a lot of you younger boys and men need to really sit here and evaluate a woman's worth cause you may just not like it when you are passed by just based solely on looks.

You took that entirely too far... lol...
And it sounds like you are completely and utterly full of yourself.
We don't need your condescending tones on this forum.
And my comment wasn't vain, it was open ended for a topic of discussion.
So to assess my or anybody else's character based on your own experiences of how you perceive the
population of women in the Pokemon Tcg is really drab. Get real.

dee

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
falcom4ever said:
Most of girls just hate Pokémon, Video Games, nerd things when they are adult and they think that is a person boys thing.

[...]

Competitive games, competitive pokémon or any tcg game is somethings that has a bad image in the society. I believe that girls maybe care more about their image than boys, because they have more pressure on the society to be nice, kind, gentle, etc... in order to achieve success. If I start to wear a beard, people will not care (maybe I will look weird). If a girl starts not taking care of her way to dress, makeup the society will think that she is a bad person which has a huge mental problem (which I totally don't support of course).

I don't think you understand how social pressure works, buddy. Boys have a similar kind of pressure (masculinity standards and professional success, anyone?) but they can choose to ignore it--and girls can, too. It's called growing up and realizing you don't owe society anything. It's people on an individual level who perpetuate harmful stereotypes like, say, "a girl who doesn't take excessive care of her image will look like she's a bad person with a mental problem".

The whole "nerds are mostly men" thing isn't even accurate, and I'm not sure how that myth even came into existence. Is attending anime conventions in full handmade costume any less nerdy than playing Pokémon? Far from it, and these events have a much bigger female attendance. For some reason, women always have to "one-up" men to prove their interest in something. Just bring a female friend to a comic convention and see how most male fans behave--the girl will get interrogated on her "nerd knowledge" in a way you never would, like she needs to show off how much she knows about something to be deemed worthy of enjoying it. It's...silly. If the Pokémon competitions are held in a similar environment, then I think I can understand why there aren't more female players.

J

Juliacoolo

Pokemon was widely popular among males and females in high school, and is even more popular in college. Saying that girls think Pokemon is a boy's thing could not be farther from the truth. The topic of the discussion is /competitive/ Pokemon, which is a completely different social situation.

Blui

lv85 paladin
DNA! My turn now!
1. How did you get into the TCG?
I got into the TCG by the VG. Which doesn't really exist in my country (it's a long story). So I knew how to play before I got into it, because Pokemon was the stuff of legends in Primary. So I went to a store for an VG event and see a TCG event on, I played there and learnt about tournaments, and then started going to them. :)

2. How long have you been playing?
I've been playing since the start of last season (I remember finding out that we had a WC in out tournaments :p), but only in the city.

3. Do you ever feel underestimated at a tournament?
The opposite :p I am the master of the opposite lucksack, good when it doesn't matter, crap when it matters. I can play well, I've got a positive Win : Loss record (just) and I have the cards. I just get crap. (Or I don't realize that I just suck at this game, that's a possibility :p)

4. Event-wise, how has this season been going for you?
Pretty well actually, I've gotten okay stuff from packs (but uber at my BRs). I've gotten 82 of my 200CP, so I'm in a good position right now. Just need to get T4 at a few tournaments and I'll hopefully meet all the wonderful people from here in Vancouver!

5. Your most memorable tournament moment?
Going 4-0 at Melbourne BRs, with all the odds against me, tough pairings and the added pressure of having to go 4-0 if I want to get T2. Had some really good games there, especially in the last round against a Terrakion EX deck, while I was playing Hydreigon (luck was on my side this time!). I did take a hammering in T2, but it was worth it as I got amazing pulls.

6. What would you say is the primary reason you stay involved in the tournament scene?
Probably the community, unlike some games like Yu-Gi-oh! I find the community (down here at least) to be much more welcoming and vibrant, after pretty much every tournament there would be multiple groups getting dinner together and people going out for lunch together as well.

7. What is your favorite card in the modified format and why?
Darkrai EX! I love this beast, I just like it because it's probably the most strategy filled card in the game, and it is just the neutral card, it doesn't auto win against something or autolose. But I think it became a lot less fun with PS, just because of Hypnotoxic screw-you-over-laser.

8. Talk about what you would change in the format?
You probably can't tell due to my fakes, but I'd make the format slower and much more balanced, by dropping the damage from stuff like 60 for 1 to a much more reasonable 20 for 1, with no effect, and make EXs have okay HP, but good attacks and stuff.

9. How would you improve organized play?
Prices, this game is way to expensive for the amount of luck involved. anything more than $4 is bogus, especially with the amount of rubbish that these sets are filled with. And more prize support for stuff like Nats and BRs, cities, regs and states are fine (IMO).

10. Which event of the season do you look forward to the most?
BRs for some reason, I like how they are more fun based, without much on the line. But they can be crucial to someone's tournament (esp. in the US). Not to mention they are great for testing :3

Just me posting stuff you won't read :)

Videoland

Aspiring Trainer
1. How did you get into the TCG?
I first got into pokémon when I was 8-9 year back when pokémon was the thing! I accurally did play in a pokémon league 2001 but I wasn't competive at all. After that I decided that I was to old for pokémon, but when I was 15 I got tempted to try one of the new GBA game, and fell right into the pokémon trap again xD So started to play competive pokémon but in 5th gen I lost interest in it because I didn't like the metagame (weather and just to many threats to keep in check). I started to play TCGO late 2011 and was like "hey, this is accurally fun" so I started to collect, and also build a horrible deck (I played Krickeltune.....) and attented at Battle road.

In Sweden we don't have VGC torneys but we do have a TCG scene, so this is way to me to play pokémon and meet other pokenerds like myself :p So thats why I'm likely going to stay as long as I enjoy pokémon :)

2. How long have you been playing?
I used to play around 1999-2001 but not to seriosly. I've started playing again for a year ago so I'm quiet new but I'd say I'm somewhat decent because I know quiet a lot about what decks are good and stuff, mostly money that keeps me from getting the best cards :p

3. Do you ever feel underestimated at a tournament?
I do. I can't help but feel that if I win the person is probably thinking "How the heck did I loose to that girl" and that preople that don't know me probably expect me to be bad. But no one have ever said anything bad straight out to me.

4. Event-wise, how has this season been going for you?

I've only attented to a battle road this autumn were I got second place (could've won but made misplays :/)

5. Your most memorable tournament moment?
Probably my first nationals because it just was an awsome day :) Made a friend there and only got 10th place, but won 4 boosters and pulled a Tornadus ex FA :) In terms of accural play it must be the autumn Battle road, was playing a Mewtwo/Zekrom/eel deck and got second place. The last battle was against the best player in Sweden (he won nationals like several times in a row xD) and I think I won one game and lose 2, but both games I lost was sooooo close and I could tell he was nervous :p

6. What would you say is the primary reason you stay involved in the tournament scene?
To meet other people who enjoy pokémon for sure :)

7. What is your favorite card in the modified format and why?
Skyla, cause I really like using her in most decks even those who don't run stage 2's. Just being able to grab any single trainer is soo good when you need that catcher to get that critical kill or get out of the active spot with a switch, and she does help stage 2 decks a lot!

8. Talk about what you would change in the format?
Less focus on big basics, I also think the Virbank + Hypnotoxic laser is a bit too strong :/

9. How would you improve organized play?
The same as most other, take away some luck elements (like the whole "going-frist" issue) and less bad cards in the sets. Its just to many filler holos and rares in every set.

10. Which event of the season do you look forward to the most?
Battle Road, they usually hold one in my town so thats very nice :)

Afro-G

League of Legends: GabTheLacMan
1) How did you get interested in the PTCG?
I was born in '96 so I was very young when Pokemon was like THE next big thing, but my older brother, like so many others, caught onto the fad and that's how the franchise came to my attention. I looked up to him quite a bit at the time so whatever he was into I tried my best to follow. Neither one of us were into the TCG or VG my brother may have gone to a few leagues but I'm positive I didn't. So basically my intrest was never as big as some seeing how the interest I had was gained through my brother, but this would be where it all began and how I learned to play.

2) How long have you been playing?

3) Do you ever feel underestimated when playing at an event?

4) Event-wise, how has this season been going for you?

5) Your most memorable tournament moment

6) What would you say is the primary reason you stay involved in the tournament scene?

7) What is your favorite card in the modified format and why?

8) Talk about what you would change in the format?

9) How would you improve organized play?

10) Which event of the season do you look forward to the most?

dnitegirl

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'm Taylor, a girl player who made top 4 in 2004 worlds, top 32 in 2007 worlds, and top 16 in 2009 worlds. I also won regionals twice and have 11 cities winners medals.

Don't wanna be left out. :p

Marty McFly

Stage name: Marty Grant
dnitegirl said:
I'm Taylor, a girl player who made top 4 in 2004 worlds, top 32 in 2007 worlds, and top 16 in 2009 worlds. I also won regionals twice and have 11 cities winners medals.

Don't wanna be left out. :p

Uh-oh! Looks like we got a future feature writer on our hands! Nice resume! That's incredible!

Videoland, DNA, Blui - Thank you for your contribution!

SuperArtNinja

I'm a Ninja that makes Art. Super.
Here's my story!

I got interested when I was really little and was introduced by my two older cousins. They actually got me into Pokemon everything! They gave me my first two cards, a Ponyta and a Machop from Base set. In fact, the card game introduced me to the anime, and the anime introduced me to the video game. Later, I got Pokemon: The First Movie on VHS (Yeah, I'm getting old) and a certain advertisement changed my life forever. It had an ad for Pokemon League. So my parents helped me locate a league, and it was at a Wizard's of the Coast in a mall. I was about 6-7 years old.

More than ten years. I was playing since Base set an Jungle.

Yeah, all the time. I underestimate myself in fact... I get way too nervous and it often messes me up. I really want to get better at the game.

I haven't gone to many. I have been so busy with school.

It was Spring States 2010. I actually placed and got 4th in Masters division! I took home a nice glass trophy. I won using a deck I built myself. It was Jumpluff, Shaymin, and Sunflora.

6) What would you say is the primary reason you stay involved in the tournament scene?
To socialize with friends and see how I hold up (which isn't as good s it could be).

I like Sigilyph/ Plasma Klingklang. They can really cause stress on to anyone spamming EXs without thinking.

I think that if Rare Candy was turn one again, that would help Stage 2 decks to actually compete with EXs. Also, maybe nerf the first turn for both opponents. Make it so that the first turn for either opponent can't attack, that way, donks would be less likely and it would give wiggle room to both sides.

I would monitor players a little more maybe... I know some real jerks at tournaments and league that could really use a stern talking too.

Probably Worlds. I may not compete, but I love all the other activities that go on. It also gives me a chance to get some quality Pokemon merchandise from the store, and to be in a new environment. Seeing new places is always nice when I can go! This also gives me a chance to show off my art skills in the little creative section. <3

Here's my story!

Marty McFly

Stage name: Marty Grant
SuperArtNinja said:
Here's my story!

I got interested when I was really little and was introduced by my two older cousins. They actually got me into Pokemon everything! They gave me my first two cards, a Ponyta and a Machop from Base set. In fact, the card game introduced me to the anime, and the anime introduced me to the video game. Later, I got Pokemon: The First Movie on VHS (Yeah, I'm getting old) and a certain advertisement changed my life forever. It had an ad for Pokemon League. So my parents helped me locate a league, and it was at a Wizard's of the Coast in a mall. I was about 6-7 years old.

More than ten years. I was playing since Base set an Jungle.

Yeah, all the time. I underestimate myself in fact... I get way too nervous and it often messes me up. I really want to get better at the game.

I haven't gone to many. I have been so busy with school.

It was Spring States 2010. I actually placed and got 4th in Masters division! I took home a nice glass trophy. I won using a deck I built myself. It was Jumpluff, Shaymin, and Sunflora.

To socialize with friends and see how I hold up (which isn't as good s it could be).

I like Sigilyph/ Plasma Klingklang. They can really cause stress on to anyone spamming EXs without thinking.

I think that if Rare Candy was turn one again, that would help Stage 2 decks to actually compete with EXs. Also, maybe nerf the first turn for both opponents. Make it so that the first turn for either opponent can't attack, that way, donks would be less likely and it would give wiggle room to both sides.

I would monitor players a little more maybe... I know some real jerks at tournaments and league that could really use a stern talking too.

Probably Worlds. I may not compete, but I love all the other activities that go on. It also gives me a chance to get some quality Pokemon merchandise from the store, and to be in a new environment. Seeing new places is always nice when I can go! This also gives me a chance to show off my art skills in the little creative section. <3

Here's my story!

I am impressed! This was great. Thank you for sharing.

falcom4ever

Aspiring Trainer
DNA said:
falcom, the more you say, the more you sound like a chauvinist. I don't know if you're doing this intentionally or not, but one area doesn't account for most of the rest of the world.
Yes, in your area most of the females play mostly because of a relative, but to generalize that and apply it to the rest of the world is just not appropriate, since you can't speak for everywhere.

If there is not difference in the interest between boys and girls in Pokémon TCG then why there is such article in this website ?

No one forbids girls to play :(

PS: As I said on the first post I am only talking about Europe. I know that in Japan is quite different, even if boys are the clear majority. And I also know that TCG in the US is still different again. But at least what I said applies for a big region in the Pokémon TCG world. Of course there are great female players, but there are also a lot of Poké-Moms, Girl Friends, Doughters that dont care about the game and play jsut to not be too bored.

grantm1999

VileGar
Videoland said:
Probably my first nationals because it just was an awsome day :) Made a friend there and only got 10th place, but won 4 boosters ...

ONLY 10th place? That's really good. How come you only got 4 boosters? You should've gotten like a box.

Blui

lv85 paladin
grantm1999 said:
Videoland said:
Probably my first nationals because it just was an awsome day :) Made a friend there and only got 10th place, but won 4 boosters ...

ONLY 10th place? That's really good. How come you only got 4 boosters? You should've gotten like a box.

International Nationals are way worse than the US one.

Videoland

Aspiring Trainer
Blui129 said:
grantm1999 said:

International Nationals are way worse than the US one.

Yeah, I think it was like maybe 25 masters in nationals ;) But you need to keep in mind that I played Reshiphlosion with a really bad deck list cause I didn't spend much money on it. I had like Pidgeys and no rare candy in the decks ;) Oh, and I only had like 1 Reshiram and 1 Reshiram ex, had to use some audinos as backup attackers xD But now I have a pretty serious eel deck, only staple I really miss is computer search.

This autums Battle road we didn't even get any boosters as prizes. Only Victory cup, and som old POP 8 packs :p