(1) Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie’s Types Revealed [1/14]

This info is not what i was hoping for. Honestly, it was kind of obvious. Wish they revealed Xerneas and Yveltal types.

Although I think it would have been cool to see at least one of them dual typed, I'm not too surprised to see this.

It may be possible Fennekin is pure fire even in it's final stage, especially seeing as its not Fire-Psychic. Then again though, Fire-Fighting is always a possiblity (however I honestly don't believe we'll get that this generation).

Mitja said:
DNA said:
Vulpix gets Extrasensory as an egg move. It and Ninetales are mono-type Fire.
I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Just pointing out it doesn't mean a thing, because people are fangasming about the possibility of gaining Psychic-type as it evolves ever since the trailer..

It just looks like it would become a psychic type to me, knowing that move only made me think it further. I just can't stop thinking of it turning into a Renamon or Okami reference.

I could see Chespin being Grass/Fighting in its final evo. And I'm also hopping aboard the Fire/Psychic train for Fennekin. Froakie will probably remain purely Water.

...People actually thought they might not be single-typed?

And wow, there's still people that think Fennekin's move wasn't Growl? o.o

RiverShock said:
...People actually thought they might not be single-typed?

And wow, there's still people that think Fennekin's move wasn't Growl? o.o

Why would they make Growl look like Confusion or Psybeam? Growl was never pink, growl never surrounded the enemy with a wave of pink energy, Growl never looked like that and it wouldn't make sense for it to.

spacepiratenemo said:
I agree that the moves were deliberately chosen as a hint as to what they will evolve into.
Keep in mind that the game is 10 months away and this is just demo footage. I think the fight scenes more
than anything are staged, I mean what on earth is Chespin doing fighting a Golurk in the middle of a forest of all places, not even Golett, but Golurk.

I could argue the opposite.

BECAUSE Golurk is such a random pokemon, it seems like there will be a Golurk encounter in some way through normal gameplay. Especially when there is also a statue of Golurk shown..

I mean if it was just random demo footage, theyd have chosen Eevee or Pikachu or something, not Golurk/Kirlia/Patrat of all things.

grantm1999 said:
Aquapulse said:
Not really suprising, though, they didn't even reveal abilities yet...

Gee, maybe Torrent, Overgrow, and Blaze?

If that's the case, then why they didn't reveal it? Those abilties are old news. We're fully aware of those abilities being exclusive to the starters (Except few) and yet, they didn't reveal the abilities....

If that's the case, then why they didn't reveal it? Those abilties are old news. We're fully aware of those abilities being exclusive to the starters (Except few) and yet, they didn't reveal the abilities....
They probably did not bother revealing them because it's so painfully obvious. There is always some form of mystery over the typing of the starters. There is never mystery over the abilities.
I'd like the starters to have nice abilities, but the likelihood of that is incredibly slim, so I'm not even going to entertain the idea.

CynicalGiant said:
Mitja said:
Just pointing out it doesn't mean a thing, because people are fangasming about the possibility of gaining Psychic-type as it evolves ever since the trailer..

It just looks like it would become a psychic type to me, knowing that move only made me think it further. I just can't stop thinking of it turning into a Renamon or Okami reference.

Pfft, who needs Renamon or Okami when you could have the final evolution look like Belius from Tales of Vesperia?! (a link to an image of her is pasted below)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100305221857/aselia/images/8/82/Belius_render.png

I'm tempted to sneak peek what their evolutions look like but at the same time I feel like it won't be as fun when I see it for myself.

I remember when I first chose Totodile. Had no idea what it evolved into. Saw Croconaw and I thought "ooh okay it's big and beefy now... alright" and Feraligatr I was like "oooh damn this thing's a beast!!"

As for the types... it wasn't news to me. I could go for it either way, but if it's confirmed to be the generic types I'm just like... "oh... okay..." like reading the tweet people make for the MBTA Metro in Boston. Not interesting.

MrSquarepants said:
I'm tempted to sneak peek what their evolutions look like but at the same time I feel like it won't be as fun when I see it for myself.

I remember when I first chose Totodile. Had no idea what it evolved into. Saw Croconaw and I thought "ooh okay it's big and beefy now... alright" and Feraligatr I was like "oooh damn this thing's a beast!!"

I tend to want to know what they turn into first before picking them, because if they were to turn into something I didnt like the design of Id probably just restart and pick a new starter (and I hate doing that)

CynicalGiant said:
MrSquarepants said:

I tend to want to know what they turn into first before picking them, because if they were to turn into something I didnt like the design of Id probably just restart and pick a new starter (and I hate doing that)

Does that ever happen?

Maybe I like too many pokemon designs though, but Ive never been disappointed by any starter evolution after imagining their potential.

Yes, it does happen. I mean, just look at Serperior. (Or any of the Unova starters, really.)

I make my choice based on the final evolution as well, and although I hope Froakie's final is going to be super-amazing and blow everything out of the water (pun slightly intended), maybe Chespin's final might change my mind.

Fire_Type_Trainer720 said:
This sucks!!! I was really hoping for a fire-physic combo. Maybe when fennekin evolves perhaps?

I'd say it's a 99% chance Fennekin becomes a Fire/Dark type. After all, it's modeled after (and named after, in the English version) the Fennec fox: a nocturnal fox.

Nocturnal = dark
Fox = typically displayed as mischievous (and Fennekin looks mischievous) = dark
Same type of expression as the dark type Zorua

The only thing that goes against it so far, is its bright color. But then again, it's only a notch above Crawdaunt.

I pretty much would like to see the final evolution before picking also. It also depends on how many Pokemon of other types are available though. Sometimes there are only like 3 options for Firer-types.
DNA said:
Yes, it does happen. I mean, just look at Serperior. (Or any of the Unova starters, really.)
What are you talking about, Serperior is the coolest of all Unova starters.

Mitja said:
CynicalGiant said:

Does that ever happen?

Maybe I like too many pokemon designs though, but Ive never been disappointed by any starter evolution after imagining their potential.

I wasn't really that content with what Treecko ended up looking like in Gen 3, same goes for Mudkip.

Never really liked Snivy, but I did like Tepig and was very pleased with what he became. Didn't like Oshawott but decided to use one because of Samurott.

Zielo said:
Chespin is such a happy looking little critter.. its hard to believe he would turn into something with a darkhearted look to it. :p

Seedot to Shiftry. Lol I guess you can't really tell what demeanor Seedot has because it only has eyes, but I wouldn't say it is "evil" or angry. Looks happy to me.

Back