Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

Off the top of my head that I've seen is Greninja BREAK, Vespiqueen/Vileplume, Entei/Charizard EX variants, Bronzong variants and a few other miscellaneous decks. Bear in mind is this just based on my experience on PTCGO only though.

What i'm looking for is a toadtina counter. where i live there are tons of them and its sketchy to play because theres a guy who plays metal w 4 aegslash!!! He wont change his deck. I know he wont change since he hasn't changed since he started playing.

Do you know what vespiplumes matchups are? :3

Last edited:
Help? in standard where i live practically everybody plays toad what do ;(

Thanks! Another question, are there any decks that run the Octillery from BREAKthrough as an alternative to Shaymin?

The card in question:

GDubs mentioned most of the popular decks that play Octillery. If you lack the funds for Shaymin-EX, most decks can play a 1-1 or 2-2 Octillery line as a replacement. It's still a solid card!

Another deck I remembered that works well without Shaymin-EX is Garchomp. High-level lists of this deck never use Shaymin-EX. The deck isn't quite as solid as the other decks mentioned before, but if you have no access to Shaymin-EX, it's a much better choice. Some play Octillery, while some don't.

Are there any other decks that have a fast setup, yet don't rely so much on draw power?

Off the top of my head that I've seen is Greninja BREAK, Vespiqueen/Vileplume, Entei/Charizard EX variants, Bronzong variants and a few other miscellaneous decks. Bear in mind is this just based on my experience on PTCGO only though.
What Bronzong variants and miscellaneous decks
do you mean?

What Bronzong variants and miscellaneous decks do you mean?

The one I've seen is Bronzong/M Scizor EX/Zoroark deck using Bronzong's Metal Links ability to get Metal energies from the discard pile and power Scizor and M Scizor EX as well as Zoroark with Mind Jack. Bronzong and Aegislash EX is also a thing too. I forgot to mention decks like Trevenant BREAK and Flareon EX/other fire type EXs deck use Octilelry well too. The miscellaneous decks are the rarely used ones like Recall Charizard from Generations set or Gardevoir EX decks. I hope I covered enough and gave you some options!

Are there any other decks that have a fast setup, yet don't rely so much on draw power?

Fighting decks are fast for the most part. These decks usually play Lucario-EX, Hawlucha, Landorus, and sometimes Garbodor. They use cards like Strong Energy, Muscle Band and Fighting Stadium to deal high damage for 1 Energy. Focus Sash is included to protect the deck against OHKOs. Zygarde-EX and Carbink BREAK will also be strong cards in Fighting decks once Fates Collide is released.

The one I've seen is Bronzong/M Scizor EX/Zoroark deck using Bronzong's Metal Links ability to get Metal energies from the discard pile and power Scizor and M Scizor EX as well as Zoroark with Mind Jack. Bronzong and Aegislash EX is also a thing too. I forgot to mention decks like Trevenant BREAK and Flareon EX/other fire type EXs deck use Octilelry well too. The miscellaneous decks are the rarely used ones like Recall Charizard from Generations set or Gardevoir EX decks. I hope I covered enough and gave you some options!

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, my brother is planning to run a Mega Scizor deck, so I just might run a Mega Mewtwo (Y)/Bronzong deck.
Fighting decks are fast for the most part. These decks usually play Lucario-EX, Hawlucha, Landorus, and sometimes Garbodor. They use cards like Strong Energy, Muscle Band and Fighting Stadium to deal high damage for 1 Energy. Focus Sash is included to protect the deck against OHKOs. Zygarde-EX and Carbink BREAK will also be strong cards in Fighting decks once Fates Collide is released.
Thank you for the information! Other than Crobat, does Lucario EX have any other partners?

Thank you for the information! Other than Crobat, does Lucario EX have any other partners?

Yes! The card is often paired with either Garbodor BPT, Energy disruption cards such as Crushing Hammer, both of those, or simply by itself. The card is always played with Hawlucha as it's incredibly powerful, as well as Landorus for Energy acceleration. Back when Furious Fists came out I personally had success with a Fighting/Machamp deck, but I doubt the deck is any good right now.

Yes! The card is often paired with either Garbodor BPT, Energy disruption cards such as Crushing Hammer, both of those, or simply by itself. The card is always played with Hawlucha as it's incredibly powerful, as well as Landorus for Energy acceleration. Back when Furious Fists came out I personally had success with a Fighting/Machamp deck, but I doubt the deck is any good right now.
Thanks! I think I have a basic idea on what I'd like to run.

I want to try legacy online, but I have no idea what to build. Any ideas?
What type of player are you? Do you like fast decks or slow decks? Defensive decks or aggressive decks? Highly consistent decks or gimmicky decks? Are there certain archetypes you like in particular?

Good Legacy decks:

Rayquaza EX/Eelectric NVI (or Ability Emboar BW)
Garchomp/Altaria DRX
Reshiram BW/Typhlosion Prime
Cobalion EX/Cobalion NVI/Plasma Klinklang
Keldeo EX/Blastoise (Deluge) - Feraligatr Prime could be used instead of Blastoise
Magnezone Prime/Zekrom BW/(Black Kyurem EX PLB?)
Durant NVI mill :D

That's a few ideas off the top of my head.

Hi i'm new to the competitive TCG and have been play testing a few decks with mega gardevoir and mega tyranitar but i haven't had much luck. I've been using the deck garage forum but i think my issue is I may not be playing these decks right. I get the general gist of the decks but i can't execute it well. They also seem pretty slow unless i get a perfect start. I was wondering if there were any good decks in standard that were fairly cost effective and easy for a new player to pick up?

Hi i'm new to the competitive TCG and have been play testing a few decks with mega gardevoir and mega tyranitar but i haven't had much luck. I've been using the deck garage forum but i think my issue is I may not be playing these decks right. I get the general gist of the decks but i can't execute it well. They also seem pretty slow unless i get a perfect start. I was wondering if there were any good decks in standard that were fairly cost effective and easy for a new player to pick up?
Night March is the big one as it is pretty simple, easy to play and mostly inexpensive (aside from the Shaymin-EX). You will, however, attract haters, as Night March is storming the current format at the moment, so it may not be the best deck for you. Otherwise, you could try a Garchomp variant (example - click the drop down, at the bottom), which is not that expensive and pretty solid.

Night March is the big one as it is pretty simple, easy to play and mostly inexpensive (aside from the Shaymin-EX). You will, however, attract haters, as Night March is storming the current format at the moment, so it may not be the best deck for you. Otherwise, you could try a Garchomp variant (example - click the drop down, at the bottom), which is not that expensive and pretty solid.

Yeah I've spent enough time in forums and on YouTube to know that night march is not a deck i want to play. Garchomp on the other hand is a card that I had already been considering playing, so i think that's a good choice for me. I also wanted to clear something up, if i have an old trainer card (like rare candy) as long as the card is still the same can i use it, or does it have to be the new copy in rotation?

Back