Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

hitmonlee22

I need Mega Kingdra. NOW.
Meta changes, y'know! Greninja BREAK and Trev BREAK didn't exist back when those posts where made. :p

I would imagine Water Box decks would be a fairly good counters, particularly if you can maintain keeping Rough Seas in play, since it can heal a lot of the damage dished out by both BREAKs.
I didn't have a look at local events when I posted that. I've made a list that I'm going to test, so we'll see what comes of the deck! :)

Anthony Orosco

Aspiring Trainer
I will be in my very first tournament tomorrow, and I can't decide which deck to use. My first deck is a Mega Gardevoir deck that runs off of Xearneass' Geomancy and Aromatisses Fairy Transfer ability. My second deck is a Garchomp deck that utilizes Garchomps energy efficent attacks, Carbink Breaks barrier from EXs, and the power up of musclebands and 2 Regirocks on the bench. Please help!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I will be in my very first tournament tomorrow, and I can't decide which deck to use. My first deck is a Mega Gardevoir deck that runs off of Xearneass' Geomancy and Aromatisses Fairy Transfer ability. My second deck is a Garchomp deck that utilizes Garchomps energy efficent attacks, Carbink Breaks barrier from EXs, and the power up of musclebands and 2 Regirocks on the bench. Please help!
I'd say that of the two, Garchomp would be a bit more powerful then Mega Gardevoir. However, I don't think that should be the deciding factor. Which deck you do enjoy playing the most and have spent the most time playing? You'll probably perform better with that deck. :)

LethalNarwhal

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there,
As I am in the process of getting back into tcg/competitive, I was thinking of making a M Sceptile deck as that is one of the few decks that isn't changing much with the rotation it seems. A Ray deck will probably be good, might be a bit more on the expensive side but I could manage. So my question is would it be good to buy all the staples for M Sceptile/Ray or keep waiting until around September/November when the rotation has settled in?

Thanks

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
It depends. If something is printed by now and September/November that hard counters M Sceptile or M Ray, you'll be up the creek. However, if those archetypes become particularly good, their prices will creep (or shoot!) up. I'd imagine that M Ray will come into the top tiers and thus increase in price more, and M Sceptile not so much. M Ray is probably one of the cheaper EX decks due to Baby Ray being in the EX tins (however Shaymin-EX is quite expensive), so I don't think costs will be all that different. Perhaps you should consider obtaining the staple cards for M Ray/M Sceptile that are usable across multiple decks, so you don't lose out on anything.

LethalNarwhal

Aspiring Trainer
It depends. If something is printed by now and September/November that hard counters M Sceptile or M Ray, you'll be up the creek. However, if those archetypes become particularly good, their prices will creep (or shoot!) up. I'd imagine that M Ray will come into the top tiers and thus increase in price more, and M Sceptile not so much. M Ray is probably one of the cheaper EX decks due to Baby Ray being in the EX tins (however Shaymin-EX is quite expensive), so I don't think costs will be all that different. Perhaps you should consider obtaining the staple cards for M Ray/M Sceptile that are usable across multiple decks, so you don't lose out on anything.

Is there a list of staples somewhere I could look at? I know that things like Lysandre and Prof.Syc are really good but I know of nothing else.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Is there a list of staples somewhere I could look at? I know that things like Lysandre and Prof.Syc are really good but I know of nothing else.
We don't have a resource like that unfortunately. My suggestion would be comparing winning decks or the Metagame Decks and find what is in common. Perhaps chat with a few folks of the community also, or make a Deck Garage decklist, as feedback given should provide reasons on that suggestion.

Daevied

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, i am somewhat new to the game (Have started playing about 1 month ago), right now am using a vespiqueen/vileplume deck but due to rotation and that in my store ppl started hating my deck out of the meta (Lots of fire decks lol) i am looking for a water type deck that i can use a couple of months while i wait the new mega-blastoise on the next set, so the idea is to play a non greninja water deck, i was looking into gyarados/ primal kyogre/manaphy-ex / golduck break but i cant seem to find a good list on the net that uses any of them that isnt outdated, any suggestion?.

thevegasbomb

Substitute
Lol this thread is perfect!..I'm both new and sad, I bought a trevenant deck about a week prior to set rotation announcement....crap...
Well time to look into the new...I love greninja break...but hear a lot of skeptiles may be running around so that and I have multiple friends running it...think I will lean towards yvetal/zorak break with spiritomb/absol teched if possipossibbut what would help against the xerneas break deck (jirachi)..anyone play testing something similar?

Last edited:

Dalton

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, i am somewhat new to the game (Have started playing about 1 month ago), right now am using a vespiqueen/vileplume deck but due to rotation and that in my store ppl started hating my deck out of the meta (Lots of fire decks lol) i am looking for a water type deck that i can use a couple of months while i wait the new mega-blastoise on the next set, so the idea is to play a non greninja water deck, i was looking into gyarados/ primal kyogre/manaphy-ex / golduck break but i cant seem to find a good list on the net that uses any of them that isnt outdated, any suggestion?.

A lot of fire cards will gone after rotation. Greninja BREAK is a good deck, that's better without Shaymin. Although the BREAK is expensive, it should go down in the next month or two. Another thought could be Palkia/Primal Kyogre. Palkia/M Gyarados is a little slower, since Primal Kyogre gets the double energy attach trait.

thevegasbomb

Substitute
A lot of fire cards will gone after rotation. Greninja BREAK is a good deck, that's better without Shaymin. Although the BREAK is expensive, it should go down in the next month or two. Another thought could be Palkia/Primal Kyogre. Palkia/M Gyarados is a little slower, since Primal Kyogre gets the double energy attach trait.
I do have 2-2 octillery for draw power atm... eventually I will pick up shaymin..I will look into your option along with a wailord/whimsicott build?...thank you for the reply

McGJ

Aspiring Trainer
Hey I'm just a dad looking to build a Charizard deck for my 6 year old. Something a bit better then a starter deck you'd buy in a store to play against his bothers Lucario EX/Machamp & Infernape EX/ Delcatty decks that I got help from a forum to make years ago. Both decks have lots of trainers, candys, potions, switches ect. Not sure if I used the right names for the decks either. What ever we don't have on hand I'll probably buy from eBay ect. Anyways a detailed list of what to get would be great cause I only played this w my oldest son years ago and it's better to leave it up to you experts to help me out then go it on my own. Thanks in advanced.

ShiftyShifts

Aspiring Trainer
I play a lot of TCG and play them competitively. My wife and I travel around to play Hearthstone and Mtg. I played Polemon when I was young, didn't much understand it then. About a year ago I built a few decks to play casually because it was so incredibly fun. I have always tried to get my oldest daughter into the TCG scene, but she's never showed interest until now. She is very excited about playing Pokemon and competing competitively as is my wife. I know rotation is right around the corner, and I have about 1000 budget to build my wife, my, daughter and I decks. I have known since we started discussing, I would be building Greninja Break, I was just curious what the suggestions for my wife and daughter.

My daughters favorite Pokemon is Rayquaza and that deck looks solid.
My wife I am thinking xerneas break, it looks decent and I think she'd like it.

I am just looking for input or suggestions.

gregt

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Hi everyone,

i registered for the first time with the motivation of getting deck advice. I currently have 2 fully constructed POST ROTATION decks and I am not sure which I should use at the next local tournament and just overall which is the best deck choice. On their own, they are each solid decks but for different reasons.

Deck 1:
The first is a standard speed mega rayquaza (hex quaza variant). As you will see from the deck list, the objective is to go deep right away and then end the turn with hex maniac since you can usually draw 2/3 of your deck without even touching a supporter, and then end the turn preventing their own shaymins, hoopas, etc. It also helps for vileplume, carbink, etc.

Pokemon:
3 Mega Rayquaza EX (Delta Evolution Version)
4 Rayquaza EX (colorless version)
4 Shaymin EX
1 Jolteon EX
2 Hoopa EX
1 Jirachi (the version that discards a special energy)
1 Raichu w/ Circle Circuit (better for the mirror match than zoroark in my opinion plus good against yveltal & darkrai decks. good backup attacker in general, free retreat)
1 Pikachu (just for the raichu)

***i've considered replacing the raichu line with a ninetails line because his ability negates parallel city and other stadiums in general, plus i can hex maniac it if i needed to do so.

Energy:

4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Lightning Energy

Trainers:
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Trainers Mail
4 Sky Field
3 Professor Sycamore
3 Mega Turbo
3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
3 Hex Maniac
2 Acro Bike
1 N
1 Special Charge
1 Lysandre
1 Float Stone
1 Escape Rope

**I don't run Super Rod. It's unnecessary in my opinion. I can recover fine without it. And if too many Mega Rays go down, I probably lost the game anyway. I can consistently go off first turn but my biggest issue is having late game resources if the game doesnt end fast for some reason.

Deck 2:
The second deck is a Darkrai (Mythical Collection Promo) Garbodor Deck. It's pretty simple. Use Garbodor asap to shut off abilities, use Darkrai to keep them asleep needing two coin flips to wake up. It's a pretty fast and easy lock to pull off without many answers to it in the current meta. It isn't as fast as Mega Ray but it seems to be overall more consistent in the meta with less hate and a better prize trade without running any EX pokemon.

Pokemon:

4 Darkrai (Mythical Promo)
3 Garbodor
3 Trubbish
3 Yveltal (oblivion wing version)
1 Zoroark
1 Zorua
1 Shaymin (Just as an emergency for an early game hand advantage if my opening hand is weak)

Energy:
12 Dark Energy

Trainers:
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers Mail
4 VS Seeker
4 Max Elixir
3 Professor Sycamore
3 Wally
3 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Shadow Circle
2 Float Stone
1 N
1 Lucky Helmet
1 Lysandre

Biggest problem I seem to have is speed (getting it to work consistently past turn 3. I'm also at a loss for better tool cards, since fury belt doesn't help garbodor aside from turning on Garbotoxin. But once the deck goes off it's usually a win. 90 damage attacks with fury belt attached, 150 HP with the belt attached, and sleep that requires two flips to wake out of. Not to mention, since most decks run float stone over switch, they can't easily retreat, and very few decks run pokemon center lady or full heal at the moment.

tl;dr - I need deck advice for the two deck lists posted above, and reccomendations on which should be my main tournament POST ROTATION deck. They are both already constructed.

- Thanks in advance!

Greg

Mbombo

Aspiring Trainer
Hello I have a good base of cards I think. I was hoping for some help with using my cards and spending less than 20 dollars more for a good deck. I am not looking for anything competitive just something I can play with my friends with.
here is my card list http://store.tcgplayer.com/collection/view/427420 thank you for your help

Last edited:

BobbleBlue

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, I'm new to the Pokémon Trading Card Game but have played Yugioh for a long time, and I'd like to play this game competitively (Standard format). I know how to play, have bought Shaymins and in the process of buying VS seekers, but I'm not sure what deck to actually buy. I can pretty much afford any Pokémon base as a one-off, I just need to know what deck people feel is good in the upcoming meta into pretty much a blind field. I've been playing Yveltal/Zoroark online and it's okay, but I'm not certain on it and struggle with Greninja. Only real competitive players at locals are a Sceptile player and my friend, who wants to play Mega Ray.

wingknight66

Aspiring Trainer
I am currently trying to figure out a good competitive deck, I don't have a large amount of cards as I have not bought many in the past few years however I just bought $50 dollars worth of steam siege packs and am considering the new steam siege trainer box. Looking at what I currently have there is some pretty good Vespiquen and a Chesnaught so I was thinking about running some sort of grass deck. However the only EX's I currently have are a Magearna EX, Full art Gardevoir EX, and a Tyranitar EX. I was looking at a possible grass steel deck but wasn't exactly sure how that would work. Was wondering if there is anyone who whould be able to help me with it or if they had any other ideas! Much Apreciated!!!

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
Hello I have a good base of cards I think. I was hoping for some help with using my cards and spending less than 20 dollars more for a good deck. I am not looking for anything competitive just something I can play with my friends with.
here is my card list http://store.tcgplayer.com/collection/view/427420 thank you for your help

I see an Alakazam EX and a few important cards for a Mega Alakazam EX deck. That's good, because Alakazam EX is a strong Pokémon who will stay around for a long time. It's ideal for a beginners because the expensive Shaymin EX is not a necessary addition. I'll leave you a link to an complete deck list [example here]. There are a few variants. You could try the Wobbuffet variant to slow your opponent down by blocking their abilities, another option is to go with the Crobat line for better damage spread (This way you can do more damage faster). To be honest 20 dollars for a complete competetive deck is a hard task. My suggestion if you're not looking for a deck like that is to buy a theme deck with the Pokémon you like. That's how I started with the TCG anyway. You get a bunch of useful cards and the basic rules are included. When you want to experiment some more you could remove and add cards of your own to make it better. That's how I went from the Resilient Life theme deck to a Mega Gardevoir EX deck :)

Hi, I'm new to the Pokémon Trading Card Game but have played Yugioh for a long time, and I'd like to play this game competitively (Standard format). I know how to play, have bought Shaymins and in the process of buying VS seekers, but I'm not sure what deck to actually buy. I can pretty much afford any Pokémon base as a one-off, I just need to know what deck people feel is good in the upcoming meta into pretty much a blind field. I've been playing Yveltal/Zoroark online and it's okay, but I'm not certain on it and struggle with Greninja. Only real competitive players at locals are a Sceptile player and my friend, who wants to play Mega Ray.

Good decision to buy the crucial cards such as Shaymin EX and VS Seeker, I don't see those two leaving anytime soon! If you're interested in strength I suggest looking at our current tier list [here]. But it's also wise to look what will work well in the future format, Primal Clash Onward 2017. It will likely be a fresh format, So my predictions can only go so far. Ability lock is something to always consider while building a deck. You shouldn't make a deck rely on abilities too much. But there are plenty strong attackers that can do without them. I have my eye on the following cards: Giratina EX, Zygarde EX, Jolteon EX, Mega Mewtwo EX, Mega Rayquaza EX, Mega Sceptile EX, Primal Groudon EX. I think this is quite a list of viable Pokémon. My suggestion, pick your favourite Pokémon and search for according deck lists online. They all have several variants and some work better than other. Always see to it to include cards from the latest set. Try out different decks to know what playstyle fits you the best.

I am currently trying to figure out a good competitive deck, I don't have a large amount of cards as I have not bought many in the past few years however I just bought $50 dollars worth of steam siege packs and am considering the new steam siege trainer box. Looking at what I currently have there is some pretty good Vespiquen and a Chesnaught so I was thinking about running some sort of grass deck. However the only EX's I currently have are a Magearna EX, Full art Gardevoir EX, and a Tyranitar EX. I was looking at a possible grass steel deck but wasn't exactly sure how that would work. Was wondering if there is anyone who whould be able to help me with it or if they had any other ideas! Much Apreciated!!!

Hm, I personally don't see how grass and metal work together, their type support are fairly different. If you like Vespiqueen, then you should go with either Vileplume or (Mega) Sceptile EX as her partner. These two variants are still viable even after the upcoming rotation. Tyranitar EX has always been slightly outclassed by other Megas because he's very clunky, I wouldn't recommend using him. Magearna EX is a nice support Pokémon in decks that use either Metal Energy or Double Dragon Energy to prevent Status conditions. Megearna EX is not a Pokémon to build a deck around but she could give you some ideas. Certainly not a bad asset to have. Gardevoir EX could be used with both of its Mega equivalents. Both variants hold their own I believe. Good luck!