• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

ZPST Decklist!

Fluttershy

Like a BOSS!
Hey there! This is my ZPST decklist that I'm trying to get together before cities. I've been testing a while and I'm glad to make any changes. Enjoy!!!

Pokemon

x4 Zekrom BW
x3 Tornadus EP
x2 Shaymin UL
x2 Pachirisu COL
x1 Magby COL
x2 Zorua
x2 Zoroark

Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums

x2 Pokegear 3.0 HS
x2 Super Scoop Up BW
x3 Professor Juniper BW
x2 Professor Oak's New Theory HS
x3 Pokemon Catcher EP
x3 Junk Arm TM
x2 Pokemon Collector HS
x2 Eviolite NV
x3 Dual Ball COL
x3 Pluspower BW
x1 Switch BW
x2 Seeker TM

Energy

x12 Lightning
x4 Double Colorless

So, everyone should know the idea of this deck. You try to get a turn 1 donk by playing Pachirisu and attaching 2 energies to it. Then use Shaymin to move those energies to Zekrom. Then attach another energy to Zekrom for your turn and Bolt Strike. Tornadus is for early game, conservation of energy, and to counter Donphan Prime. Zoroark is used to counter Cobalion NV. Enjoy!!!

-1 Black Belt
-1 Defender

+1 Tornadus
+1 Eviolite

ZPST should very rarely be behind on prizes; that makes Black Belt a useless addition. Defender is also has no use with Eviolite. A fourth Tornadus is for late game or early game consistency, as it lets you charge up Zekrom or other Tornadus, and Eviolite is just better than Defender.

Thanks for the advice! But I think that Black Belt is good for Gothitelle. Also, I don't have another Eviolite. But, anyway, thanks! I'll definitely test that out. Even a few changes can make the difference in a deck!!!

By the way, I like the name change!

What makes Black Belt ineffective against Gothitelle is that Gothitelle will always try to make sure that when it becomes your turn again, Gothitelle is either behind on prizes or both players have even prizes. That makes Black Belt useless, as in both cases Black Belt can't be used.

If you play Black Belt at the most effective moment, you could theoretically catch your opponent off guard. Because so few people play Gothitelle and so few people play Black Belt, it could end up being a very surprising move. If Gothitelle is in your meta, it is certainly an option for just an occasion.

Another option to go down that route is either Bellsprout or Magby. Both can serve purposes against Trainer lock decks in general, with Bellsprout being able to bring up Vileplume or Reuniclus and attempting to stall them out. Magby is a little bit more offensive and lets you get some Burn damage going into your turn if the flips go your way (which you proceed to do 120). I suggest testing out all of these options and seeing which one works the best for you. I don't recommend you tech with any of these things unless you expect Trainer lock in a fairly significant amount of playing.

I also actually disagree with Gliscor (curse you name change) about Defender. Defender is actually pretty unique in that you can't attach two Eviolite to the same Pokemon. If you're in a pinch, you can prevent all the damage from Bolt Strike which could very well end up sealing the deal late game with your Zekrom that is completely healed. It's certainly a viable option. Plus you have maxed out Junk Arm. There's no reason not to run a one-of Trainer for the added possibility of getting it back later in the game anyway.

dmaster out.

Thanks dmaster for the advice. In my previous ReshiPhlosion deck, I had a Magby in it to counter Gothitelle, and it actually helped me win a match. I definitely forgot about it because I have been play testing with ZPST for a while now. I will definitely try it!!!

Okay, I understand that. I'm not completely sure but here's how I think about it. I try to get the donk on the first turn, so I run as many Dual Balls/Pokemon Collectors as needed so I can get Shaymin/Pachirisu, or whoever... Then, in later game (if it lasts this long), after I've used some of my Catchers, I Junk Arm some unused Dual Balls/Pokemon Collectors to get the Catchers back (or other useful items, of course). But, I am always up to testing new things.

For reasons unknown, I seem to ''like'' to ''fix'' ZPST decks. All I can say is, sue me! =P Let's take a look!

Pokémon:

In terms of Pokémon I think you're pretty set already. The lines look solid to me, so not much to change there. However, I do have some suggestions:

4th Tornadus
While more a gimmick to some, the 4th Tornadus can be quite helpful late game, and against Donphan (as a deck or as a tech) Tornadus is a true blessing. I even know people who dropped their 4th Zekrom for a 4th Tornadus, but it really is dependant on your metagame as wel as personal preference. While I advice against ditching a Zekrom for a Tornadus, it is certainly an option you can consider. Of course, you could always drop something else for that extra Tornadus.

Bellsprout TR
While fragile, Bellsprout TR can also be your ''trainer lock counter''. Drag up that Vileplume or Reuniclus, and give your opponent a headace about what to do now. Timing is of the essence with Bellsprout, as it's 40HP is nothing to write home about, and after you've dragged up front what you wanted, Bellsprout's uses really wither away. If googlebox/The Truth is big in your area, I advice Bellsprout over Magby for that matchup. If Gothitelle is bigger in your area, stick with the Magby.

Unown [DARK] UD
Unown has little use other than fetching energy from your deck. ''But James, I don't play any Darkness energy in my deck!'' Well, needless to say you'd better include it then, if you're willing to include Unown, hm? Wether you add in a Sp. Dark or a basic Dark is up to you, or you could even include both! Whatever picks your fancy. A double card investment (the unown and the single energy) gives you a nice option to fetch you energy when you need it, even when under Trainer lock. Just keep in mind Unown is included more to help Tornadus than to help Zekrom.

Otherwise I wouldn't change anything at all for your pokémon lines, so let's look at the energy before we got to the trainers!

Energy:

Your energy looks solid to me as well, but I have a few pointers for you:

4th DCE
Jup, just as with Tornadus, I'm suggesting another DCE (No, I don't like ''white'' cards better than any other, trust me!). While 3 DCE is indeed plenty, a 4th one won't hurt in any way. It helps you fetch them more consistently, and makes you able to expend one extra, should it be needed. To me, ZPST almost runs on DCE, so to me it seems foolish not to include 4. Once again personal preference, see what works for you!

Darkness energy
Obviously this has no place in your deck whatsoever without Unown. You'll only include 1 (or 2) copies of this to fetch with Unown, but wether you include Sp. Darkness energy or basic Darkness energy is up to you. Both have their own pro's and cons, but your decision should be based on 2 factors:

- Sp. Darkness energy along with a DCE means one of your Toranadus' can keep on attacking for 80 without needing to swap over any energy (this can both be a blessing and a curse!)
- Sp. Darkness energy can be Lost Remover bait. Whereas basic Darkness energy is likely to stay on the field, your Tornadus will need to throw it around if it is to use Hurricane.

Think about those 2 factors the most, and mainly ignore any other pro's and cons, as they shouldn't matter as much as the two mentioned above. Of course, if your list lacks Unown, don't even consider it altogether. It never hurts to try it though!

So much for the energy department, let's take a look at your trainers!

Supporters/Stadium/Items:

Alright, here are the most suggestions from me! Just keep in mind that you should only try to use the advice you feel comfortable with, and not everything applies to you. My advice is based on my own experience, and your own experience can be totally different! Let's take a look!

Supporters

While looking solid, I find a few things lacking in your list:

Juniper at 4
While this might burn your deck like crazy, that's the whole point of ZPST. I advice no less than 3 Juniper in any ZPST list, and ideally 4. Speed is the deck's greatest asset, and I would invest the maximum to (ab)use that, no?

Collector back at 2
While 3 might be your personal preference, to me it has proven that a 2/4 Collector/Dual Ball split works just about fine. If you are to add another Collector, I suggest you take out a Dual Ball for it (making it a 3/3 split), as otherwise you'll get ''basic search power overkill''. Don't forget the ''leftover'' Collectors and Dual Balls can always be used as Junk Arm fuel.

Professor Oak's New Theory back at 2
Though personal preference, I would cut out 1 PONT to add in another Juniper. PONT isn't a bad card here at all, it could just end up in you drawing back the same bad hand, where ZPST loses speed. And to ZPST, speed is everything.

Stadiums

N/A

Items

Eviolite
Sure, your deck is all Basics, but isn't 3 a little overkill? I personally find 2 to be enough, and if needed you can recycle them with Junk Arm. I'd drop one for sure.

Energy Search
While sounding crazy, if your meta isn't Trainer lock full, Energy Search can be a great replacement for Unown if you were leaning towards that side.

Super Scoop Up
Along the lines of 2 Seeker, I think you should run only 2. SSU is also quite situational, menaing I'd never risk more than 2 tries at it, but that's up to you.

Plus Power
My own list runs 2, but if Dragons are the play in your meta, you might even consider running 4. Just keep in mind you could also Outrage for a 130/140 damage cap, meaning Plus Power isn't as needed as some people claim it to be (just in numbers in the deck I mean, not it's general use in ZPST as it's a great card here!).

Super Rod/Energy Retrieval
I'm missing some sort of recovery option in your list. Wether it's up to you to use it or not, and if you use it you can still choose to recycle to your hand or the deck, I think it's nice to run anyways. My own list runs Energy Retrieval over Super Rod, mainly because it keeps in tandem with ZPST's speed, but also because I don't find myself recycling basics all that often back into the deck. Do you want flexible recovery that is not directly-accesible, or would you rather have limited recovery, but instant acces? Choose your own way to walk with this one I'd say.

Revive
When discussing recovery, I can't find any Revive in here? You'll only need 1 though, as you have plenty of Junk Arm to keep recycling that single copy when needed. Personal preference, but I think of that single Revive as a staple for my own list.

Of course there are countless of other options that I could suggest, but it really depends on your meta and personal preference.

A tl;dr version:

Drop:
- 1 Collector
- 1 PONT
- 1 SSU
- 1 Plus Power
- 1 Eviolite

Add:
+ 1 Tornadus
+ 2 Juniper
+ 1 Revive
+ 1 DCE

Good luck with the deck, and feel free to PM me for more advice!

Thanks so much! I am always happy to test with different things and this is something to think about. But, unfortunately, I will not be able to test before my cities this weekend. But again, thanks so much! This does make a lot of sense to me.

Back