Zoroark: Yea or Nay?

• Yea

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

cannonballkuriboh

Aspiring Trainer
As I scroll through the set list for Next Destinies, I scowl at the long list of Pokemon with subpar uses, the extremely thin T/S/S line, and the most hyped thing since Final Fantasy 13, the Pokemon EXs. A reprint of DCE here, another card or 3 for 6 Corners, but wait! What are these last 4 cards? Reprints of old cards that saw play? A very nice idea! Wait, maybe I can find something fun in here *scroll, scroll, click, scroll* Zoroark...hmmmm....DCE for a copied attack.....wait, what are the side effects of the EX big attacks?....lose an energy, lose two energy, get flippy....take 2 prizes for the KO....give up one for the revenge....This might actually work!

For those of you who are not aware of Zoroark (ND 102/BW 71), here's the rundown:
Zoroark
Stage 1 (Evolves from Zorua)
100 HP {D}
x2 {F}, -20 {P}

{D} Nasty Plot
Search your deck for a card and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

{C}{C} Foul Play
Choose 1 of the Defending Pokémon's attacks and use it as this attack.

Retreat: {C}

All in all, not that impressive against small-time decks. But what about against EXs? we've seen this run decently against Zekrom/Reshiram, and it is one of the suggested techs for Yanmega/Magnezone (at least, last I checked). What do you guys think as far as an answer to the EX's, in order to keep them from leaving them in the open? With Catcher as an option to bring an "unfinished" EX to the table and wipe it's clock with it's own attack for 2 prizes, I'd think it might work splendidly!

It will not do that great against exs because all the attacks that the exs can do cannot knock out themselves, except for shaymin. For example, it cannot OHKO mew two, or reshiram, or zekrom Exs unless there are about 3 plus powers for reshiram and zekrom. It did well against the regular dragons because it could use a plus power for a OHKO but not for the EXs. It is still good, but it will not do that great in my opinion against EXs, and all the EXs can OHKO Zoroark if played correctly, but zoroark needs a 2HKO.

I think it may have a good bit of use as a revenge killer agaisnt the EX's once you place some damage on them, Like Hit them for some damage, they KO in return, then Foul Play the highest damage attack they have. In retrospect, you take two prizes to their one. In that likely hood, they will more than likely have another EX ready to go, so the prize trade off becomes even. Just have to play extremely smart. But I think Zoroark will see more play. There have been plenty of times where I Foul Played Lost Burn for some quick cheap KO's. LOL.

If the EX cards could knock themselves out without Weakness, it would be better. However, you're losing two Stage 1's and two special energy every time they lose a basic with a few energy. Since all that does is maintain an even prize exchange, it's just bad. There are cards that can run much better with the EX's. Reshiram, for example, is much easier to maintain a swarm of.

Black Belt could combo with Zoroark. It is a waste of a supporter for the turn, but 2 prizes is worth it

I personally think that it won't work. If an EX is already damaged, you can just OHKO it with any of your main pokemon. Zoroark is good, but there isn't a huge difference between taking half of it's HP and taking most of it's HP.

^This right here.

If you are going to 2HKO an EX with your main attacker anyways (which better be doing more than 90 damage), why on earth would you use a different tech that uses special energy to 2HKO it?

Sure, if you can get the Black Belt, maybe it's okay to use it, but I'd rather not waste my Supporter like that.

Back