• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Zoroark - Brutal Bash

bagleopard

Aspiring Trainer
I am just getting into the TCG and this is my first competitive deck.

Pokémon - 13
4 Zorua (DEX)
3 Zoroark (DEX)
1 Zoroark (BW)
4 Sableye (DEX)
1 Tornadus EX

Trainers - 34
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
2 Cheren

2 Random Receiver
4 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball
4 Dark Patch
3 Dark Claw
4 Pokémon Catcher
2 Super Rod

2 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy - 13
9 {D}
4 {C}{C}

Strategy
Quickly set up a full bench of {D} type Pokémon and wail on the opponent's Pokémon with super-powerful Brutal Bash attacks.

Card Choices
Zorua DEX is the best of its kind and is a great starter, pretty much guaranteeing a Turn 2 Zoroark with its Ascension attack. Four Sableye is included since he's the only Basic {D} type Pokémon worth using to fill up the bench; he is searched by Level Ball, his Junk Hunt attack makes him a good starter in the absence of Zorua, and he can be a good mid-game pivot if I need to grab a few Items for next turn. Zoroark BW is used to steal strong attacks from an opponent's Pokémon to great effect, such as Darkrai EX's Night Spear or Raikou EX's Volt Bolt. Tornadus EX, as the only non-{D} type Pokémon in the deck, is included as a buffer against {F} type Pokémon and is easily set up with {C}{C} Energy and Skyarrow Bridge.

Four copies of Level Ball are in to maximize the chances of gaining a full bench by Turn 2, helped along greatly by a Sableye start. Dark Claw allows Zoroark to hit through Eviolite and get key OHKO damage against a variety of Pokemon such as Garchomp, Empoleon, Klinklang, non-Eviolited Zekrom, Hydreigon (using Foul Play), and others. Super Rods allow me to regroup after a few Zoroarks are knocked out. Skyarrow Bridge gives free retreat to all my Basics, allowing me to retain the energy attached to them for if I need to use them later.

Strengths
Turn 2 Zoroark happens extremely consistently regardless of which {D} Basic I start with - if it's Zorua all I need is a {D} Energy to get Zoroark into play and an Energy next turn to power it up; if it's Sableye I'll need a benched Zorua, a {C}{C} Energy or a live Dark Patch, and a Zoroark or Ultra Ball for next turn. This deck is able to take early leads thanks to the ease of setting up Zoroark and can usually ride 1-for-1 or 2-for-2 exchanges to victory. Catcher knockouts are extremely good in this deck too, since Zoroark can dispatch of most bench sitters in the format (though it sometimes needs that Dark Claw for the decisive damage). Dark Rush can also do a ton of damage, most notably in the Darkrai matchup where 90 damage from a Night Spear means Zoroark can OHKO the Darkrai next turn.

Weaknesses
Firstly, since Zoroark only has 100 HP to its name, it's fairly easy to knock out. Since the deck can take an early prize lead, N becomes quite weak outside the early turns of the game and an opponent's N can be devastating, allowing them to make a comeback. Another big weakness is that even if I take a one or two prize lead at the beginning of the game, if I can't keep an equal prize trade going it'll be tough to win. The deck is extremely weak to {F} type Pokémon, especially Terrakion, and without Eviolite in the deck Tornadus EX isn't much of a solid counter. Also, if the opponent is able to knock out all my Zoroark and I can't set up any more of them the match is basically lost, and if more than one Zoroark or Zorua is prized I'm going to have to hope to be lucky enough with my prize picks to get them out.

Things I Can Change To Improve the Deck
I can increase the amount of Supporters in the deck to mitigate the strength of a late game N, since it'll give me more of a chance to draw into one to replenish the cards I lose. I am not sure which cards I could remove to make room for more Supporters, though. I could replace Tornadus EX for a better counter to Terrakion, though I am unsure what that could be. There doesn't seem to be any {G} type Pokémon that fit well in the deck, nor any better Pokémon resistant to {F}. Though the deck isn't bothered by Garbodor at all, I could try to find room for a Tool Scrapper or two to get rid of the Eviolites that decrease Zoroark's damage output and the Exp. Shares that help Terrakions flow.

There may be other things I haven't thought of, but that's why I'm posting here.

IMO recovery is the most important aspect of the deck. Being able to consistently stream Zoroarks and attack each turn is huge. Consider testing Rescue Scarf or EXP Share in place of Dark Claws. With a full bench of dark pokes, 120 should be able to 2HKO main attackers and OHKO support pokes. Tool Scrapper might also be another good addition to remove eviolites from pokes, but again you shouldn't be super super concerned about that with appropriate damage calcs.

Also consider how quickly your hand empties out, consider adding Biancas in here as well. Maybe less N and add Bianca; because of how quickly you should be taking prizes, late Ns, like you've said, cripple you pretty bad. You can either remove RRs for this or test the suggestion above; if you get N'ed it should be at the hands of your opponent, not because you got a bad RR and drew an N.

I hadn't even considered using Rescue Scarf, hm. Would it send both the Zoroark and the Zorua under it back to my hand or just the Zoroark? If it's both then that's not a bad idea, I could use them instead of the Super Rods to recover Zoroarks. I don't think EXP Share is necessary, I don't find it hard to power up a Zoroark with two energy thanks to Dark Patch and DCE.

The one thing I'm not so sure about Rescue Scarf is that I'd need to get rid of the Dark Claws to make room for them. It will obviously make damaging Pokémon with Eviolite a lot harder, but I suppose I can deck a pair of Tool Scrappers over the Super Rods to deal with that. The major thing that I'll miss about Dark Claw is hitting OHKO damage against 140 HP Pokémon like Garchomp and Empoleon. Both of those Pokémon can OHKO Zoroark and if I can't OHKO back I'll be losing those matchups. It also helps OHKO big bench sitters like Klinklang and Hydreigon, and those matchups will be a ton easier once I eliminate those Pokémon from my opponent's bench - Max Potion is a real headache for this deck when trying to take down EXs in two shots. I'm a little torn between Dark Claw and Rescue Scarf. If only you could attach more than one Tool to a Pokémon!

You might be right about the supporter lineup, perhaps I should take out the two Random Receivers and two of the Ns to fit in four Bianca? How does that sound? I also might want to try to up the amount of Supporters I play overall so that I have a better chance of recovering after a late game N, though I'm really not sure what I could take out to make room for one or two more.

Yes it would send both back to your hand. Also I would maybe run one of the foulplay Zoroark in the eels match up with raikou it can pretty much win the game beingable to snipe for 100 with out discarding anything as well as raquaza ex I would probably still run 1 dark claw just because if done right you can OHKO Hydreigon (DE) with foul play Zoroark as well. definitely think you should throw darkrai in as well for the free retreat.

Darkrai isn't worth the space in the deck because of quickly it will get targeted as a revenge KO. The foul play Zoroark is a good idea.

Baloo727 said:
Yes it would send both back to your hand. Also I would maybe run one of the foulplay Zoroark in the eels match up with raikou it can pretty much win the game beingable to snipe for 100 with out discarding anything as well as raquaza ex I would probably still run 1 dark claw just because if done right you can OHKO Hydreigon (DE) with foul play Zoroark as well. definitely think you should throw darkrai in as well for the free retreat.

I would just like to point out Zoroark can't copy Rayquaza EX"s attack because in order to do damage, you have to discard energy.

And I do second Darkrai over Skyarrow. It gives everything you have free retreat, and it doesn't help your opponent out.

I don't think Darkrai EX is a very good idea. I already get free retreat on my Basics thanks to Skyarrow Bridge and I generally won't need to move a Zoroark out of the active spot once it's up and attacking. If I was going to use Darkrai EX in a deck I'd want it as my main attacker, not sitting on the bench where it can be Catchered and KOd. This deck is already frightfully weak to Terrakion and I'd really like to try not to make it worse by adding in Pokémon that will give up two prizes for nothing.

I don't know whether I'd play any Dark Claw at all if I chose to play Rescue Scarfs (which is looking likely). It's only going to be used if a Zoroark doesn't have Rescue Scarf attached, but I'll probably be trying to equip my Zoroarks with the Scarf so that I can keep my bench full if they're knocked out. I will probably consider using Pluspower instead, since it helps me land OHKOs on Terrakion with Brutal Bash's full power. It's not as reliable as Dark Claw is for hitting that 140 mark that'll help take down Garchomp and Empoleon, but at least it kind of covers a major weakness.

I am actually already playing one Zoroark with Foul Play if you take a look at my list, I detail its strengths in my card choice explanations. It's good against a lot but then in some cases it's really not that great, against Rayquaza/Eels for example. It can't copy either of Rayquaza EX's attacks so it's pretty much deadweight in that matchup, though Nasty Plot is still usable.

You pose a good point on Terrakion vs Darkrai. Also, I think Super Rod should be good enough for recovery and you would much rather have the Dark Claw over Rescue Scarf like you said.

I don't think I can ignore the speed at which I can recover Zoroarks with Rescue Scarf though. With it, Zorua is back on the bench no sooner than it is knocked out and I have the evolution ready in hand. With Super Rod, I have to wait to draw into both Zorua and Zoroark, and there's no guarantee they'll come soon.

It also helps since if you're playing the deck right, you should have at least one benched Zorua so that in the case of a KO'ed Zoroark with Rescue Scarf, you can continue attacking with out any worries of missed evolutions. Depending on whats in your hand, you can DCE or Dark Patch appropriately. When I played this deck, I didn't use Tornadus EX so I didn't have much use for the DCEs because of Rescue Energies. A lot of times, opponents would forget Zoroark's second attack and it was a nice option to have as far as attacking goes, though with the DCEs in there, it won't be a common one.

That's usually how it plays out, generally I'll have more Zoruas available than I do Zoroarks so there's usually at least one ready to evolve each turn.

Zoroark's Dark Rush attack is brilliant and is especially useful in the Darkrai matchup - Zoroark can take a Night Spear or three bench hits and then attack with Dark Rush for 180 which is a clean OHKO unless they have Eviolite and I don't have Dark Claw. It's a shame Zoroark's HP is mediocre or that attack would be much more reliable in other matchups, sadly a lot of things OHKO Zoroark.

To be honest I have hardly used Tornadus EX at all. In fact I think I've only used him twice, once when I had to start with him (thankfully I got the DCE and Skyarrow for the donk) and once to buffer a Terrakion for a few turns. I normally won't want to play him to the bench, otherwise Brutal Bash loses 20 of its power, and he's only really useful in matchups with {F} types. The trick with Tornadus EX is that you need him AND a DCE on the turn after a Zoroark gets KOd so you can send him in to deal with Terrakion/other {F} type. If you don't have the DCE then most of Tornadus EX's survivability goes down the drain since it'll still be taking a lot from two hits even with the resistance in its favor. I'm feeling like he may not end up being all that useful after all, so I might take him out.

personally i run 3 darkrai ex and 2 sableye in my zoroark build.. if darkrai is not an option, i would opt to replace 2 of the DCE, tornadus ex, 1 level ball, 1 dark claw, and 1 darkness energy for 1 shaymin ex, 4 blend energy (grass/dark/etc) and an eviolite. maybe swap one of the N for a Bianca. 8 dark is really the best energy count for ultraball/dark patch. if you can, also swap the skyarrows and a sableye for darkrai and eviolite. tool scrapper is good, but they will likely wait till you have 2 tools on the field till they use it, and you still have sableye to get them back

The only thing about that is if I were to play Darkrai EX, Shaymin EX, Blend Energy, et cetera then I might as well just turn the deck into Darkrai/Hydreigon. Darkrai EX is generally a better attacker than Zoroark so I'd want to be using it for that, and that takes way too much focus away from Zoroark. It would make me wonder why I was even playing it.

bagleopard said:
I don't think I can ignore the speed at which I can recover Zoroarks with Rescue Scarf though. With it, Zorua is back on the bench no sooner than it is knocked out and I have the evolution ready in hand. With Super Rod, I have to wait to draw into both Zorua and Zoroark, and there's no guarantee they'll come soon.

You also can't ignore that without Dark Claw, you aren't OHKO'ing things like Garchomp and Empoleon. Plus Power doesn't help except for things like uneviolited Zekrom snd Terrakion. Garchomp doesn't need Altarias to get the KO. As for Empoleon, you both need a full Bench, so only Empoleon will be getting the OHKO. I don't see how you could keep the prize trade even without it, but of course do as you wish.

bagleopard said:
The only thing about that is if I were to play Darkrai EX, Shaymin EX, Blend Energy, et cetera then I might as well just turn the deck into Darkrai/Hydreigon. Darkrai EX is generally a better attacker than Zoroark so I'd want to be using it for that, and that takes way too much focus away from Zoroark. It would make me wonder why I was even playing it.

Using shaymin ex would take the focus away from zoroark a bit, but darkrai ex fits perfectly. And being able to retreat for free is always a good thing. Try it before you knock it =)

Mora said:
You also can't ignore that without Dark Claw, you aren't OHKO'ing things like Garchomp and Empoleon. Plus Power doesn't help except for things like uneviolited Zekrom snd Terrakion. Garchomp doesn't need Altarias to get the KO. As for Empoleon, you both need a full Bench, so only Empoleon will be getting the OHKO. I don't see how you could keep the prize trade even without it, but of course do as you wish.

I have actually since tried a few games using Rescue Scarf and I can tell you that the recovery it offers is incredible. Not only does it help me keep a full bench it pretty much guarantees I'll have a Zoroark attacking again straight away. If I'm relying on Super Rod for my recovery not only do I have to wait for my deck to draw back into the Zorua and Zoroark, I am also left with an open spot on the bench and sometimes no Zoroark attacking at all if I only had the one.

You've hit on the deck's main weakness there - the facts that Zoroark can't quite OHKO Empoleon, Garchomp, or Terrakion without a little help and that they'll all be OHKOing back easily. Unfortunately there's no way to meet in the middle; I either have Dark Claw to get those important OHKOs or I have Rescue Scarf to make sure my deck's power doesn't peter out after a few KOs. With PlusPower I give myself a chance at having both but it's definitely not ideal.

If only there was some kind of {D} type Pokémon with Aerodactyl's ability. It'd give me a great bench sitter and it'd help me get crucial OHKOs. All my problems would be solved!

CarlosDuranJr said:
Using shaymin ex would take the focus away from zoroark a bit, but darkrai ex fits perfectly. And being able to retreat for free is always a good thing. Try it before you knock it =)

There's no way Darkrai EX is a perfect fit for this deck, far from it. Honestly there are way more reasons to not use Darkrai EX than there are to use Darkrai EX. The only thing it brings to the table is free retreat. But when you look at it closely it's not really free at all - it requires you to attach an energy to the Pokémon you want to retreat. Even though you don't need to discard the energy, it still requires a {D} energy to retreat. Really the only things I want to be attaching energy to are my Zoroarks. I don't want to have to use my energy for the turn powering up a Sableye that I won't be attacking with just so I can retreat to my Zoroark. Skyarrow Bridge already gives all the Pokémon I'll actually want to retreat the opportunity to do so for free without needing to attach an energy to them. Skyarrow Bridge also can't be Catchered and won't be giving up two prizes to my opponent.

Darkrai EX is a great card, just not for this deck.

bagleopard said:
You've hit on the deck's main weakness there - the facts that Zoroark can't quite OHKO Empoleon, Garchomp, or Terrakion without a little help and that they'll all be OHKOing back easily. Unfortunately there's no way to meet in the middle; I either have Dark Claw to get those important OHKOs or I have Rescue Scarf to make sure my deck's power doesn't peter out after a few KOs. With PlusPower I give myself a chance at having both but it's definitely not ideal.

Zoroark parades on how quick it sets up, meaning you shouldn't really need to be using PPs to grab those first few easy KOs. All of those decks, with probably the exception of Terrakion, have things that you can take cheap prizes from in the early game, allowing you to focus your resources to take those last couple of KOs from those high HP pokemon.

However, decks like Klinklang EX and Darkrai/Hydregion are a pretty bad match because not only can you not OHKO anything, they can max potion the damage. Keep in mind it's not unwinable, since Darkrai does only hit 90, leaving you in range to use Dark Rush to grab revenge KOs, but ideally, that won't happen all the time because of the snipe damage.

In order to deal with Rayquaza EX, you could replace four of your Dark Energy with Blend Energy GFPD. That would let you use his attack on the Foul Play Zoroark. Hope that helps!

That wouldn't really help unless the Zoroark had three Blend Energies to discard for 180, otherwise it isn't really going to help all that much. Foul Play Zoroark just isn't very good in that particular match up so I just have to rely on doing 100+ with Brutal Bash which is good enough for a two-hit knockout.

Back