• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Zekrom/Eels for Worlds!

Pokepower22

Ryan Moorhouse
Zekrom/Eelektrick for Pokemon World Championships 2012!

My other choice for Worlds and one of my favs.This deck won the UK Pokemon Nats-Seniors.Changes i am planning to make-Zekrom EX may be going.MAY.i need to add an extra mewtwo-but where? Also adding a Slurp Shakedown Eelektross-lots of vileplumes will be coming round the mountain.

Pokemon:15

2 Zekrom B/W/ N/D
2 Tynamo (38/101) N/V
1 Tynamo (45/108) D/E
1 Tornadus EX D/E or Eeelektross D/E(Interchangeable-Depends on the day)
3 Eelektrick N/V
2 Mewtwo EX N/D
1 Shaymin U/L
1 Smeargle U/D
1 Terrakion N/V

Trainers/Stadiums: 23

3 Level Ball N/D
2 Switch B/W
2 Pluspower B/W
3 Pokemon Catcher E/P
4 Junk Arm T/R
2 Random Reciver D/E
2 Eviolite N/V
1 Super Rod N/V
1 Skyarrow Bridge N/D
1 Energy Search B/W
2 Dual Ball U/L C/L

Supporters:9

3 Proffesor Oaks New Theory HG/SS
4 Proffesor Juniper B/W & N/D(Cos i love the N/D Art)
2 N D/E

Energy:13

4 Fighting
8 Lightning
1 Double Coluorless N/D

Overteched, either run Terrakion or Mewtwo/Tornadus. choose one of them and then i will be able to help you.
Btw, Zekrom EX is horrible in the current format.

alright. Let's get started.
-1 Zekrom EX (Terrakion weak)
-1 Tornadus EX (you'll be dropping DCE so it's not good)
-1 Lightning (7 is good)
-3 DCE (no Tornadus EX)
-1 Random Receiver (2 is good)

+1 N (N is great)
+2 PONT (consistancy, you need more supporters)
+1 Terrakion (Darkrai)
+1 Smeargle (backup Smeargle)
+1 Fighting
+1 Tynamo

If you want to be better against Vileplume, you need to run the Kevin Nance version.

-1 Zekrom-EX (Terrakion is played in most Eels lists now, as well as some Darkrai lists and Mono-Terra. You don't want to risk playing this at all)
-1 Tornadus-EX (Against Terrakions, You can go aggro Zekrom with PlusPower)
-1 Energy Search (You have more energies than any Eels list I've played, and I never have an energy drought)
-1 Random Receiver (If you only play 2, you should have no problem getting out what you need)
-3 DCE (No more Tornadus = No more DCE. Sure Mewtwo can abuse it, too, but you need the space for more consistency)
-1 Dual Ball (For 1 more Level Ball. Level Ball works wonders when you play 3. You almost always get out at least 2 Eels T2)
-1 Ultra Ball (You already have plenty of what you need to get Pokemon out)

+1 Fighting Energy (So you can hit more Retaliates)
+1 Mewtwo-EX (So you can win more Mewtwo wars)
+1 Level Ball (So you can get out Eelektriks easier)
+1 Eviolite (Gives Darkrai a harder time since they can't get Zekrom double KOs)
+1 Smeargle (More Portraits make your deck more consistent. Starting Smeargle can also mean the game to you.)
+2 PONT (This will also help make your deck as consistent as possible in addition to the extra Smeargle)
+1 Tynamo (More Tynamos = Easier set up)
+1 PlusPower (130 is the magic number in the format, as you can PlusPower + Catcher + OHKO Terrakioins in addition to Revenge kill Eviolited Darkrais).

Nigel said:
-1 Zekrom-EX (Terrakion is played in most Eels lists now, as well as some Darkrai lists and Mono-Terra. You don't want to risk playing this at all)
-1 Energy Search (You have more energies than any Eels list I've played, and I never have an energy drought)
-1 Random Receiver (If you only play 2, you should have no problem getting out what you need)
-3 DCE (No more Tornadus = No more DCE. Sure Mewtwo can abuse it, too, but you need the space for more consistency)
-1 Dual Ball (For 1 more Level Ball. Level Ball works wonders when you play 3. You almost always get out at least 2 Eels T2)

+1 Eviolite (Gives Darkrai a harder time since they can't get Zekrom double KOs)
+1 Smeargle (More Portraits make your deck more consistent. Starting Smeargle can also mean the game to you.)
+2 PONT (This will also help make your deck as consistent as possible in addition to the extra Smeargle)
+1 PlusPower (130 is the magic number in the format, as you can PlusPower + Catcher + OHKO Terrakioins in addition to Revenge kill Eviolited Darkrais).
Going to edit the deck in some time,ive used Tornadus EX alot of times-and when i csnt get the pluspower 100 damage can be good in tough situations.I do plan on getting rid of Zekrom EX.Do i need an Extra Mewtwo?

Pokepower22 said:
Going to edit the deck in some time,ive used Tornadus EX alot of times-and when i csnt get the pluspower 100 damage can be good in tough situations.I do plan on getting rid of Zekrom EX.Do i need an Extra Mewtwo?

1) Why play Tornadus-EX to counter Terrakion when you can play an additional PlusPower, which also makes it so you can OHKO an Eviolited Darkrai as well as OHKO Non-Eviolited Zekroms/Reshirams/Kyurems.

2) If you want to win Mewtwo wars and do good against CMT (which trust me, is going to be popular at Worlds), then play an extra Mewtwo.

Nigel said:
1) Why play Tornadus-EX to counter Terrakion when you can play an additional PlusPower, which also makes it so you can OHKO an Eviolited Darkrai as well as OHKO Non-Eviolited Zekroms/Reshirams/Kyurems.

2) If you want to win Mewtwo wars and do good against CMT (which trust me, is going to be popular at Worlds), then play an extra Mewtwo.
Good Point,ill test some of the suggestions out and then add to the list.

-1 Lightning(+ one fighting=-1 Lightning)
-1 DCE (No more Tornadus = No more DCE. Sure Mewtwo can abuse it, too, but you need the space for more consistency-keeping one in for an early KO and usfullness)

+1 PONT (This will also help make your deck as consistent as possible in addition to the extra Smeargle)

Plus Power is a legit card even in the next format. It's nearly an overpowered card and I'm fairly disappointed to see a lot of decks dropping it. 130 is a great number for Terrakion KO I agree, but its main purpose is to 2 DCE or 1 DCE opponent Mewtwo has DCE PlusPower KO, because a lot of the time either you don't want to attach an extra energy for revenge Mewtwo+DCE KOs or sometimes you just can't attach.

You can't find space for an extra eviolite and this deck doesn't need it.

I do not however agree with two statements; you need additional Mewtwos to keep up with CMT and that the lack of Tornadus EX makes DCE less viable. 4 DCE is the play if you play Mewtwos, disregarding any amount of lightning energy in your starting hand, playing a supporter and getting T1 Xball is an incredibly rewarding play.

Now, this is Zekrom/Eelektrik. A lot of people forget the reason why ZekEels had such a great matchup against CM, it wasn't because it hit for weakness against Tornadus, but instead because the CM player couldn't use Mewtwo efficiently. Zekrom two-shotted Mewtwo and could be streamed consistently, a difficult feat for the CM player. It gave up only one prize and could keep the prize trade even while slightly beating it at the same time. When people add more Mewtwo to a deck, any player can exploit this by taking better advantage of the increased Mewtwo count. The mentality with a lot of players is to instantly bench mew two once they see Celebi, their Mewtwo is now more efficient, because it's taking two prizes against ZekEels every turn. Stick to Zekrom in the CM matchup, unless you're confident you can take the first two prizes with your Mewtwo.

Honestly, I'd like to see this deck even win a single round at worlds. Take out Terrakion or take out the DCE and improve the matchup against CM, because without DCE the CM player will run all over your deck early-game. Terrakion is just such a harmful card in ZekEels, not because it hurts consistency, but because you can't run both DCE and Fighting without hurting Mewtwo's viability. Straight Lightning and DCE will always be superior to a mix of fighting, DCE and lightning, especially in Mewtwo heavy decks. I also see no energy search, so even if you wanted to run Terrakion, really?

Pokemon: 14
2 Zekrom
4-3 Eelektrik
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Shaymin
2 Smeargle

Trainers/Stadiums: 34

3 Level Ball
3 Switch
2 Pluspower
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Junk Arm
2 Random Receiver
2 Eviolite
1 Super Rod
3 Ultra Ball (Dual Ball too floppy for worlds, can't find space for 3 Ultra Ball 1 Dual Ball for Junk Arming purposes, maybe run 2 Ultra Ball 1 Dual Ball)

4 Professor Oak's New Theory
4 Professor Juniper
2 N

Energy: 12
8 Lightning
4 Double Colorless

I am the Mewtwo addict, feel free to ask me any Mewtwo related questions.

Milky said:
Plus Power is a legit card even in the next format. It's nearly an overpowered card and I'm fairly disappointed to see a lot of decks dropping it. 130 is a great number for Terrakion KO I agree, but its main purpose is to 2 DCE or 1 DCE opponent Mewtwo has DCE PlusPower KO, because a lot of the time either you don't want to attach an extra energy for revenge Mewtwo+DCE KOs or sometimes you just can't attach.

I do not however agree with two statements; you need additional Mewtwos to keep up with CMT and that the lack of Tornadus EX makes DCE less viable. 4 DCE is the play if you play Mewtwos, disregarding any amount of lightning energy in your starting hand, playing a supporter and getting T1 Xball is an incredibly rewarding play.

Now, this is Zekrom/Eelektrik. A lot of people forget the reason why ZekEels had such a great matchup against CM, it wasn't because it hit for weakness against Tornadus, but instead because the CM player couldn't use Mewtwo efficiently. Zekrom two-shotted Mewtwo and could be streamed consistently, a difficult feat for the CM player. It gave up only one prize and could keep the prize trade even while slightly beating it at the same time. When people add more Mewtwo to a deck, any player can exploit this by taking better advantage of the increased Mewtwo count. The mentality with a lot of players is to instantly bench mew two once they see Celebi, their Mewtwo is now more efficient, because it's taking two prizes against ZekEels every turn. Stick to Zekrom in the CM matchup, unless you're confident you can take the first two prizes with your Mewtwo.

Honestly, I'd like to see this deck even win a single round at worlds. Take out Terrakion or take out the DCE and improve the matchup against CM, because without DCE the CM player will run all over your deck early-game. Terrakion is just such a harmful card in ZekEels, not because it hurts consistency, but because you can't run both DCE and Fighting without hurting Mewtwo's viability. Straight Lightning and DCE will always be superior to a mix of fighting, DCE and lightning, especially in Mewtwo heavy decks. I also see no energy search, so even if you wanted to run Terrakion, really?

2 Zekrom
4-3 Eelektrik
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Shaymin
2 Smeargle

3 Level Ball
3 Switch
2 Pluspower
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Junk Arm
2 Random Receiver
2 Eviolite
1 Super Rod
3 Ultra Ball (Dual Ball too floppy for worlds, can't find space for 3 Ultra Ball 1 Dual Ball for Junk Arming purposes, maybe run 2 Ultra Ball 1 Dual Ball)

4 Professor Juniper
2 N

8 Lightning
4 Double Colorless

Without Terrakion theres litraly no chance against Darkrai decks or the mirror.i understand ageinst CMT-But a two Mewtwo line should solve this.in testing without a Terrakion almost every deck i played ageinst beat me-Terrakion may be an added tech but without it this deck fails in every way.decided to drop an fighting for a Tornadus EX-i cannot beat anything with the name terrakion in it as everyting just gets easily KOed.
Also, previous suggestions were said to get rid of energy search-im going to edit the deck abit more.
-1 Fighting

+ 1 Tornadus EX

Then that's a clear flaw in either your decklist, playstyle or strategy. ZekEels has a favorable matchup against Darkrai, Terrakion and CMT. ZekEels is currently the BDIF, so there must be something wrong on your side. ZekEels w/ Terrakion makes the matchup against Darkrai, CMT and Terrakion worse because you get rid of DCE and make the deck less consistent.

A 2-2 split between Mewtwo and Zekrom is absolutely fine, my comment was in response to you adding a third Mewtwo, because that makes the CMT matchup worse. Only bench Mewtwo if the opponent isn't using CMT and starts a Mewtwo war, you're up two prizes or you've burnt out all of your Zekroms. You're certainly not obligated to bench a Mewtwo at the wrong time, but that's why adding a third Mewtwo is harmful to the deck, it clogs up your hand where you would otherwise draw a mre favorable card.

Tornadus EX is a bad choice for a tournament like Worlds, because there will be a lot of Eels variants running around. The bad type weakness on Tornadus and Zapdos is OK because it isn't an EX Pokemon and it would get OHKOed easily anyway, but Tornadus EX is an EX Pokemon, and when a regular Pokemon can one shot an EX Pokemon, we start to get problems. Mewtwo is a much more potent and effective counter for Terrakion than Tornadus will ever be.

Milky said:

2 Zekrom
4-3 Eelektrik
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Shaymin
2 Smeargle

3 Level Ball
3 Switch
2 Pluspower
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Junk Arm
2 Random Receiver
2 Eviolite
1 Super Rod

4 Professor Juniper
2 N

8 Lightning
4 Double Colorless

Im looking at this list more and more and im starting to realy like it.One question-could Raikou EX be viable like Kevin Nance's version?

Well of course. It's the best ZekEels deck.

I have mixed feelings on Raikou. Its a highly situational card and it is possible to make smart plays with it to soften up big EXs sitting on the bench. I personally dislike the card itself, it will see a lot of play but for now its standing is similar to Zekrom EX, it's a great card in the next format but in terms of this format, its status as an EX makes it a risky play, not necessarily for Terrakion, but as a vulnerable target in general. I typically like to use Zapdos in place of it, unless it's for knocking out opposing Eelektriks in the mirror, its snipe for 50, resistance to fighting (but terrible weakness) and it only giving up one prize makes it a better choice, especially since a Catcher + KO is an option for getting rid of Eelektrik. Raikou does however bypass allowing your opponent to put up a Smeargle instead of having to get a Switch + Skyarrow retreat to use it without your active dying, so you have to decide whether killing the active and giving your opponent flexibility with dynamotor is worth the two prize target.

tl;dr Raikou is OK, but I much prefer Zapdos since it only gives up a single prize. You have to decide yourself whether you want an extra 50 damage vs. giving up two prizes, in most cases, 50 damage is the sweet spot for softening EXs. You can hit for 50 on a benched EX and KO with Zekrom the next turn, Zekrom + Plus Power if its a 180 HP EX.

If you want space for either Mr. 2 Prizes or Mr. I'm weak to Lightning types then you should look into removing a Smeargle. ZekEels is not designed for Smeargle shenanigans and you don't normally start with Smeargle with only 2 in your deck, so you may as well just run one.

If i run Terrakion i find Raikou>Zekrom
Zekrom-EX is horrible

I run 3 DCE for 2 Mewtwo some times also, but mostly focus on Raikou-EX and Terrakion for killing, works fine for me.

Previous suggestions to remove energy search were a single statement from Nigel who likely didn't understand the reason Energy Search was played in decks that tech Terrakion. The idea with Terrakion isn't to leave it on your bench for X amount of turns, the intent with Terrakion is to bench, dynamotor once, energy search for a fighting energy, retreat and retaliate. It is a surprise tech, leaving it on your bench for 3 turns trying to power it up for Land Crush is not effective use of Terrakion.

Zekrom EX is my personal favourite card, 3 Energy for 150 is incredibly strong, though the two prizes cannot be justified in decks that don't run Eviolite. If you run Eviolite, then who cares if Terrakion hits for 180, it now hits for 160. That means its still an even prize trade because you kill two Terrakion with one Zekrom EX. Unfortunately, a Zekrom EX and Eviolite are difficult cards to fit into a tight list like ZekEels. T2 150 is certainly possible:

T1 Smeargle active, Ultra Ball 2 Lightning for Zekrom EX, bench and attach DCE, level ball for two Tynamos (three if versus. CM) and portrait. Play any useful cards and pass.
T2 Junk Arm / Use additional level ball for Eels, evolve Tynamos and dynamotor twice onto Zekrom, portrait, switch and T2 150. It also works for Zekrom, but heck, T2 150. What was that, Darkrai?

Infinity said:
If you run Zeels without Terrakion, run Kevin Nance's version.

That version is highly susceptible to Celebi/Mewtwo variants, a strong play for a smaller tournament like Worlds. A 2/2 split between Zekrom and Mewtwo is more than enough for Mewtwo wars.

I'm also sick of people calling ZekEels with heavy Mewtwo lines Kevin Nance's versio. Sure, he went to the biggest Nationals of any country and won with 3 Mewtwo, that doesn't necessarily mean nobody had the idea for more than two Mewtwo before.

The main point is Max Potion/Raikou though. 3 Mewtwo is a necessity for Darkrai if you don't run Terrakion.

Ok, that point is justified then. Though Raikou can still be put into the list I provided, and I wouldn't use Kevin's list, I would change it a little. Even if he didn't want to see catcher in his opening hand until after his Juniper, 3 Catcher is a bad play, A single catcher makes more difference than you may think. Zapdos is still a more efficient card though, as long as Raikou is only used for EX softeners. Raikous only advantage over Zapdos is the ability to OHKO bench sitters like Eels and Smeargle.

Zekrom is still a more effective counter. Any Eviolited Zekrom can Bolt Strike then Outrage the next turn for a knockout. If they can't respond that's even better a bonus because you can outrage sweep. Darkrai loses a lot of power after it has expended its resources into charging a few Darkrai and getting rid of 1-2 Darkrai, regardless of the amount of Zekroms it takes since it only gives up a single prize, secures the rest of the game.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mr. Bushido.

http://thetopcut.net/2012/07/03/us-nationals-top-4-jay-hornung-vs-kevin-nance/

Nance (Zeels/MaxPotion/Raikou) vs Jay Hourng (Darkrai/Mewtwo)

See the deck I mentioned in action.

Back