Zebstrika PD and Tornadus

bigbija

loves banana pudding
So I was looking at some things in Psycho Drive and saw this little gem:
425px-ZebstrikaPsychoDrive25.jpg

{L}{C}
Disconnect 40
Your opponent can't play any Item cards from his or her hand during your opponent's next turn.

{L}{L}{C}
Thunder Drop
Discard all {L} Energy attached to this Pokémon. This attack does 80 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Now this thing can snipe for eighty and has a free retreat cost and has a trainer blocking attack. Maybe zebstrika will work better with Pachirisu and Shaymin, but you could setup zebstrika and tornadus on your bench keep using disconnect than snipe and retreat and then move energy to zebstrika with tornadus. Maybe you could run Zekrom with it. Do you think this could work? Any ideas? All C/C welcome, thanks!

~bija

It COULD work, but Zebstrika is basically a reprint of Manectric ex. Manectric ex was good more than four years ago...it would suffer in today's format. Thus, Zebstrika suffers in today's format. The Trainer lock can easily be done with Vileplume or even Gothitelle, and the sniping is useless with Catcher, as most things with high retreat in this format have ways to charge themselves up and aren't completely useless in the active spot.

Mew/Tric returns lolz. I actually really like this card, but I'm in general a fan of any card that can single-handedly steal games and control your opponent. I actually think it might be better paired with either Vileplume or Gothitelle. He can get a much more reliable T2 lock than either of them, but will die late-game. Its main flaw is the HP - if it just had like 30 more HP it truly would be amazing.

Honestly I'm really surprised that I missed this when looking through the scans.

I think that if you just add a 2-2 or maybe a 1-1 line of this to any deck with vileplume it could help. It will have trouble finding synergy in a grass deck and that is why I think it belongs in a ZPST deck in case the donk doesn't go as planned. The disruption could help.

what does a snipe for 80 KO that is significant? That information might give better context to the usefulness (or not) of the card.

off the top of my head K.O.s

Magneton
Pachi
Shaymin
Quilava
Gothita
Phanphy (either) (benched HS)
Yanmega (active)
Gloom
Dousion
Mew
Babies

Notable targets that it falls short of:
Reuniclus (although an 80 snipe is still dangerous against it)
Ninetales
Pignite
Dragons
Machoke
Zoroark (who is free to snipe back with NO discard)

Notable 1hitKO's with Disconnect:
Yanma
Floatzel
Babies
Solosis
Oshowatt (any)

Notable 2hitKO's with Disconnect:
Tornadus
Every Water type (excluding wailord and ability samurott, and those not weak to Lightning)
Yanmega (they will likely retreat to a second yanmega, so not as good as it sounds)
eh.... can think of anything else....

I like this card alot... but I don't think it stacks up...

Anything notable to add to this list i've missed?

What's the point of adding Vileplume? It's good because of the trainer lock, not the snipe.

glaceon said:
What's the point of adding Vileplume? It's good because of the trainer lock, not the snipe.
In 30+3 that 40 damage isn't going to win you enough games. Also, with huge basics like Reshiram and Zekrom that don't really need trainers to setup an Outrage revenge KO, it gets a little useless without the snipe.

I do like the card. I can't tell you how many times an 80 snipe could have won me the game because I ran out of Catcher/Junk Arm. My only problem with it is that it gets killed way too easily. But if you get it out early enough it puts you in a way better position than your opponent, and it can put 80 anywhere on its way out.

Back