• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Yveltal-EX / Hydreigon

Auride

Periodic Visitor
Experience: Intermediate

Note: This list was changed after playtesting on 2.16.14. You can still find the old list here. This new list focuses more on consistency, and using Hydreigon as a secondary attacker.

Pokemon (16)
  • 3 Yveltal-EX (XY 79 or 144)
  • 3 Deino (DRX 93 or LT 97)
  • 1 Zweilous (DRX 96)
  • 3 Hydreigon (DRX 97 or LT 99)
  • 2 Darkrai-EX (DEX 63 or 107 or BWP 46 or LT 88)
  • 1 Sableye (DEX 62)
  • 2 Yveltal (XY 78)
  • 1 Virizion-EX (PLB 9 or 96)

Trainers (33)
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 1 Colress / Shauna
  • 3 Skyla
  • 1 Dowsing Machine
  • 4 Dark Patch
  • 3 Rare Candy
  • 3 Max Potion
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Tool Scrapper
  • 2 Silver Bangle
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Super Rod

Energy
  • 4 Blend Energy GRPD
  • 7 Darkness Energy (Basic)

Strategy

TL;DR
Yveltal-EX is your main attacker, Use Hydreigon's ability to move energy around to abuse max potion and Virizion-EX's Verdant Wind. Darkrai-EX is used for it's ability, and as a back-up attacker.

Pokemon
Yveltal-EX is the star of the deck due to it's incredible speed and strength in general. We will almost exclusively be using it's first attack Evil Ball.

Hydreigon, with it's ability Dark Trance, combos with this very well by allowing you to arbitrarily move around energy. Because of this, this list can pull off surprising plays. It's also much better at conserving energy, and making comebacks in general. Hydreigon also has a very powerful attack, allowing it to KO many pokemon (Including opposing Yveltal-EX) with a bangle or muscle band.

Darkrai-EX is only really in here for it's ability, but can function as a strong back-up attacker.

Yveltal (non-EX) is used mainly for it's first attack, which does 30 damage and comes with an effect similar to dark patch. It is your more aggressive option for energy acceleration. It also has a second attack which does 100 for [D][D][C], which is a viable attack in a pinch.

Trainers
4 Juniper, 4 N is pretty standard. This deck has a habit of falling behind, N is very strong late-game.

The one Colress or Shauna is just there for extra draw support. I personally find Colress more useful (this deck functions best with a mostly full bench), but Shauna is better in the first few turns (Where Colress might be nearly useless).

3 Skyla help grab crucial trainers at any given times. This might be a draw-supporter for next turn, a rare candy to evolve into Hydreigon, a Professor's Letter to get a critical energy, etc.

Dowsing machine is a strong Ace-Spec card, allowing you to retrieve supporters alongside the item cards that Sableye can retrieve. Computer Search is another equally strong option, and I would recommend play-testing yourself to figure out what works best for you.

Max potion allows one to fully heal any damaged attacker if one has Hydreigon in play by moving all of the attached energy to another pokemon, playing max potion, and then moving the energy back. This card single-handedly allows the deck to beat many decks that fail to OHKO it's attackers.

Professor's Letter can get one or two energies from your deck if you ever need an energy attachment, but you don't have an energy in hand. It can be junk-hunted and Skyla'd for, making it very helpful.

Energy
4 Blend GRPD ties much of this deck together, allowing for abuse of Virizion-EX's ability, and the use of a couple of alternate attackers (including Hydreigon itself). Do mind that these CANNOT be retrieved by dark patch or Yveltal's attack, as they do not provide darkness energy in the discard pile.

Meta
Although Hydreigon makes Yveltal much more resilient in play, it also makes it slower to begin with. When playing you should always prioritize getting one or more Hydreigon into play (especially if you intend to use it aggressively).

Once hydreigon is in play, be very careful that you do not lose the energy you have in play (e.g. don't dump it all onto Yveltal-EX and let it get KO'd). When Hydreigon has no energy to work with, the deck fails fast. Also, don't shy away from setting up a second hydreigon in the background.

In any given matchup, keep in mind what cards are going to be the most critical and conserve them. Is you opponent running laser bank, or using a

Hydreigon's own bulk and power are what separate it from the similar Aromatisse/Yveltal variants which have popped up. If you want to play this deck like a tool-box, with many different attackers, then go with Aromatisse, as it is more consistent to set up.

As for matchup specifics, it goes without saying that this deck's worst matchup are against decks which can KO Yveltal, Hydreigon, and Darkrai in one hit. Some examples might be Blastoise, RayBoar, and Genesect. Even here, you are not especially at a disadvantage: A loaded Keldeo-EX is easily handled by Yveltal-EX, and Black Kyurem-EX is (somewhat less) easily handled by Hydreigon. Rayquaza can also be dispatched quickly by Hydreigon. In both of these match-ups, you should conserve Ns for the lategame, as they can be devastating if timed well.

Honestly, Genesect is the scariest of these, as you don't have any sort of type matchup, and Genesect's Red Signal can easily scope down Hydreigon. Thankfully, this can be alleviated keeping damage relatively spread out. Genesect also has to waste 2 energy if it wants to OHKO Hydreigon with G-Booster (which can buy you a turn to scrapper it). Finally, Genesect is another attacker which can be conveniently OHKO'd back by Hydreigon's Bangled Dragonblast.

The matchup against standard Yveltal/Darkrai decks is surprisingly strong. By keeping your energy spread out, you can force the opponent to put as much as 5-7 energy on an Yveltal to take a KO, which you can easily respond to thanks to Dark Trance, putting your opponent on the back foot.

Fairy decks should be played against carefully, especially the toolbox variant, as it is the only deck which can feasibly power up a lightning, dragon, and fighting type attacker all in the same turn. However, they typically can only play one (at most two) of each attacker, so if you can get past one of them, you can continue playing unhindered.

Just about every other matchup boils down to out-living your opponent with max potion.

I tried to cut some obvious information from the above post. What are your thoughts on this deck and decklist? What do you think about delphox in this deck, and in stage 2 decks in general? What other cards should I consider adding?

The deck looks nice. Consider to loose either one Enhanced Hammer, or one Max Potion for either a third Muscle Band, or a fourth Ultra Ball to get the evolution cards out to draw and trans the energies around.

IMHO, Darkrai EX-based decks have gotten a nice "boost" from this new set. Yveltal and Yveltal EX, and Shadow Circle have all made Darkrai EX decks stronger. In response to these Poké card additions, as well as the expected rise in Darkrai EX decks play, I've teched in Zekrom (Outrage) into several of my decks. I'd suggest you include at least 2 Shadow Circle Stadiums - to counter Dark Poké weakness, Virbank City Gym, and Frozen City. I'd suggest replacing the 2 Enhanced Hammer (or 1 Dark Patch and 1 Max Potion) with 2 Shadow Circle Stadiums.

TuxedoBlack said:
IMHO, Darkrai EX-based decks have gotten a nice "boost" from this new set. Yveltal and Yveltal EX, and Shadow Circle have all made Darkrai EX decks stronger. In response to these Poké card additions, as well as the expected rise in Darkrai EX decks play, I've teched in Zekrom (Outrage) into several of my decks. I'd suggest you include at least 2 Shadow Circle Stadiums - to counter Dark Poké weakness, Virbank City Gym, and Frozen City. I'd suggest replacing the 2 Enhanced Hammer (or 1 Dark Patch and 1 Max Potion) with 2 Shadow Circle Stadiums.

As I see it, though Shadow Circle might seem to be a strong stadium, it is in actuality quite weak. It is only effective in a select few matchups, and only on your opponent's turn. All your opponent needs to do is to play a counter-stadium of their own (which will be more common in such decks) and it is wasted. By the time your opponent can do this twice, you will probably have lost anyways.

That said, it can be helpful. I'll see in playtesting if weakness becomes a problem. In that case, I will certainly try using two Shadow Circle.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that few decks will be able to quickly power up both an electric and fighting type attacker, meaning one can generally plan ahead by attacking with either Yveltal- or Darkrai-EX

Auride said:
As I see it, though Shadow Circle might seem to be a strong stadium, it is in actuality quite weak. It is only effective in a select few matchups, and only on your opponent's turn. All your opponent needs to do is to play a counter-stadium of their own (which will be more common in such decks) and it is wasted. By the time your opponent can do this twice, you will probably have lost anyways.
Agreed with replacing your Shadow Circle Stadium before I attack, but one may not always be able to do so. And that 1 "no weakness" turn could perhaps save you.

Auride said:
EDIT: I would also like to point out that few decks will be able to quickly power up both an electric and fighting type attacker, meaning one can generally plan ahead by attacking with either Yveltal- or Darkrai-EX
Unless that player need not (e.g., he/she runs Scramble Switch)...

Fair enough. It would be up to the player (and some playtesting) to determine whether shadow circle is going to be a helpful card. Same with enhanced hammer.

Besides those two, what do you all feel are some appropriate techs for this deck? Should these two slots be entirely replaced with consistency cards? Also, is delphox a worthwhile card to play over some consistency cards?

I think Shadow Circle is a must in this deck,
I'm a big landy ex fan and player, been playing it the moment it got out to counter all that Darkrai violence and it works like a charm!!
As i see this list, i will be struggeling but favor is on my side, add shadow circle and i'll be sh***ing my pants if u know what i mean.
It's a big lando stopper and as i see it, it can take the deck to victory road.
ATM im even concidering to play the deck myself but a straight deck. In my list i play 3 shadow circle stadium and 1 virbank.
I feel that stadium cards are getiing more and more important in decks, to take the match to your side.
most play 3 stadium, the best is to play 4 in the format atm as i feel it.
u can stop beach, fairy garden, frozen city because most play 3 of each.. even wenn ur opponent got wrid of the 3 circles , a virbank + laser + sablye combo can even turn the whole game around for example.

Nicor123 said:
I think Shadow Circle is a must in this deck,
I'm a big landy ex fan and player, been playing it the moment it got out to counter all that Darkrai violence and it works like a charm!!
As i see this list, i will be struggeling but favor is on my side, add shadow circle and i'll be sh***ing my pants if u know what i mean.
It's a big lando stopper and as i see it, it can take the deck to victory road.
ATM im even concidering to play the deck myself but a straight deck. In my list i play 3 shadow circle stadium and 1 virbank.
I feel that stadium cards are getiing more and more important in decks, to take the match to your side.
most play 3 stadium, the best is to play 4 in the format atm as i feel it.
u can stop beach, fairy garden, frozen city because most play 3 of each.. even wenn ur opponent got wrid of the 3 circles , a virbank + laser + sablye combo can even turn the whole game around for example.

Your point sort of counters itself. If every deck is going to play 3 stadiums, then there's a fair likelihood that in any case where shadow circle would have been useful, my opponent will have played a counter-stadium of their own and completely nullified the effect. This is my main gripe with shadow circle -- it's only useful on the opponent's turn, only in specific match-ups, and is easy to counter. It's not a terrible card, and absolutely has merit, but only in the right metagame.

Even at that, with the introduction of Yveltal-EX, this deck's main attacker has a fighting RESISTANCE, making Landorus-EX and Terrakion virtually non-issues. Should someone wish to make a deck which includes both fighting- and lightning-type atackers, so be it. But I can't imagine that deck being anything but so inconsistent that the matchup wouldn't be a problem anyways.

If you're sure shadow circle is right for you, I would recommend removing one or both enhanced hammers. Dowsing machine allows you to retrieve stadiums, so it will eventually stick with enough junk-hunting.

I totally agree with you. Shadow circle is pretty terrible. It can be easily countered by other stadiums and is practically worthless in out meta right now. In this deck you either damage (laserbank) or draw (tropical beach). The latter is prefered, although your wallet may not agree. Btw I suggest some Random Receivers. Very consistent as it can be junk hunted for easily and, bam, there's your supporter next turn. Its looking a bit inconsistent at the moment. Btw, profs letter is broken in darkrai. Broken. Turn 1 Spears or 5 Energy Yveltals is just dumb to think about.

actually another good idea is this
3 yveltal ex
2 lileep (plasma blast)
2 cradily (plasma blast)
2 hydreigon
2 darkrai ex
1 yveltal
1 virizon ex
1 delphox

3 skyla
4 professor sycamore
4 N
2 super rod
4 dark patch
3 root fossil
3 max potion
3 ultra ball
2 tool scrapper
2 enhanced hammer
2 muscle band
2 professors letter

4 shadow circle

1dowsing machine

7 dark energy
4 blend energy DPGF

thecradily saves the hassle of the 2 turns it takes to risk your pokemon getting catchered by genesexts ability and getts stage 2 pokemon down faster

(this is oficially the first comment i have put on this site)

windeon of the sky said:
[...]
thecradily saves the hassle of the 2 turns it takes to risk your pokemon getting catchered by genesexts ability and getts stage 2 pokemon down faster

(this is oficially the first comment i have put on this site)

While cradily might seem like a great idea in any stage 2 deck, it is an incredibly heavy weight on the list it is not at all consistent. It is, in and of itself, yet more dificult to get into play then even a stage 2 (like hydreigon) is alone, so why bother? Also, to even use it effectively requires that you get a clean setup (get lileep into play on your first or second turn via fossil, don't let it get KO'd, and then get Cradily into the active spot with multiple grass energy on the next turn). In general, hydreigon getting catchered is not an especially big risk to the deck, because you can plan ahead for it (even more effectively than, say, Blastoise could).

You should always, before you attack (at the end of your turn) try to ensure that, even if Hydreigon were to go down, your energies are all in the right places to be useful. You want it to be as hard as possible for your opponent to put you on the back foot by ensuring that you can always make a play the next turn. That's where Hydreigon's strength lies.

zavtac said:
I totally agree with you. Shadow circle is pretty terrible. It can be easily countered by other stadiums and is practically worthless in out meta right now.
ANY Stadium can be easily countered if a player wishes to; it comes down to, IMHO, will your chosen Stadium benefit you (albeit) perhaps for just 1 turn.... I'm finding a well-placed Shadow Circle has saved me games at critical times. I really like the idea of removing weakness from my Poke if I can...

Note: Ht Laser and Virbank City Gym have become less potent with the release of the XY set, because Slurpluff's Sweet Veil is also being used to counter any Special Conditions too.

Back