Yveltal EX / Garbodor

Blah

DBT
Use this thread for all discussion of the Yveltal EX/Garbodor deck. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs. This is not the thread to discuss Yveltal EX/Darkrai EX. All discussion about that deck should be posted in its respective thread.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means of adding to the discussion. Don't post decklists here for advice.

All discussion not related to Yveltal EX/Garbodor will be moved or deleted. All shallow or uninformed discussion will also be deleted by the mods.

Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 9
  • 2 Garbodor DRX
  • 2 Trubbish DRX
  • 3 Yveltal EX
  • 1 Sableye DEX
  • 1 Yveltal XY
Trainers: 34
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 4 Random Receiver
  • 2 Bicycle
  • 4 Dark Patch
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Dowsing Machine
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 11
  • 7 Darkness
  • 4 Double Colorless
Free Spots: 6

Good Additions:
  • Darkrai EX
  • Bouffalant DRX
  • Absol PLF
  • Druddigon FLF
  • Colress
  • Pokémon Catcher
  • Enhanced Hammer
  • Switch / Escape Rope
  • Super Rod
  • More Sableye DEX / Yveltal XY

RE: Darkrai EX / Sableye / Garbodor

Super solid deck, but only if given enough time. I think because it's a control deck having enough time is definitely necessary, and I don't think it'll do very well in BO3 50 minutes. At some of the smaller tournaments though, like BR's (league challenges or whatever) or cities it will win a ton of games. IMO it's got an awesome matchup against plasma, as well as a positive matchup with virgen, especially if it's the drifblim version. Not to mention it does pretty well against blastoise (if 0-1 scrapper, anymore and it's about even). But I think because it won the KO some counters might hit the scene. Landorus being the main one for ballsy players that don't fear TDK. That deck loses hardcore to big basics.

Yup, it's a thing now.
I personally like this deck because I was using Speed Darkrai for a while and therefore know how to use it. My Garbodor list is four cards off from my Speed list, making it a comfortable fit. I definitely think it is the BDIF at this time, but not overwhelmingly so.

How many tools is everyone using in this deck and which ones? I assume float stone but what else

Going to offer a piece of opinion on this, as there was a massive uprising of hype directly after it won the KO.

Did this deck win the KO undefeated? Yes. Is it good? Of course. Doesn't that make it BDIF easily? Ehhh...

I think my point here is don't jump to conclusions. The KO was about the size of a regionals. When decks win regionals, they don't become BDIF. Not to mention that it was VERY early in the format, meaning lists aren't perfect and metagames can be weird. It's certainly very good, but what I'm trying to encourage is taking a step back and thinking about it and testing it before calling it the BDIF.

That said, this deck has a ton of things going for it. It has counters and outs against virtually every metagame deck, it has Sableye which is a godsend in any deck that can use it, and it has one of the best attackers in the game to back it up. I think the main things that are going to bring this deck down are that people expect it and can tech for it, and time. Time is a MASSIVE issue with Bo3 50 minutes. Heck, the deck struggled to keep up with time in a 75 minute time limit. I almost feel like if you lose game 1 with this deck you essentially just lose, which isn't something you really want.

Fatality said:
How many tools is everyone using in this deck and which ones? I assume float stone but what else

Dark claw is a really clutch card in this deck, being able to take 4 prizes in one turn with claw is too good to pass up on IMO. Another tech I've seen is exp share, I personally like it. This deck really needs 4 float stones to work. It works really well with darkrai to retreat when garbodor's has a tool attached, as well as a tool for garbodor. Exp. share retains energy really well, especially if you run under 10.

Blah said:
Going to offer a piece of opinion on this, as there was a massive uprising of hype directly after it won the KO.

Did this deck win the KO undefeated? Yes. Is it good? Of course. Doesn't that make it BDIF easily? Ehhh...

I think my point here is don't jump to conclusions. The KO was about the size of a regionals. When decks win regionals, they don't become BDIF. Not to mention that it was VERY early in the format, meaning lists aren't perfect and metagames can be weird. It's certainly very good, but what I'm trying to encourage is taking a step back and thinking about it and testing it before calling it the BDIF.

This is exactly the case. The KO had lots of teching against Plasma (the most prominent example being Henry Prior's 4-4 Drifblim and 2 Enhanced Hammer in his VirGen), which is far and away the largest reason Plasma had a mediocre showing. It's not much worse of a deck, it's just that everyone expected to see it. It also helps that Darkrai has no Plasma Pokémon/Special Energy, meaning techs have to be more specific to that deck.

The allowance for any Tropical Beach - WC deck, foreign, whatever - also made setup-heavy decks more playable. Darkrai/Garbodor has good matchups against essentially all of these decks, most notably Blastoise.

Lex also had two very positive matchups - VirGen with 10 dead cards against Darkrai and then Blastoise, which is completely reliant upon Deluge - in the top 4, which certainly helped.

Darkrai/Garbodor wasn't unheard of, but it was certainly not widely considered a top-tier deck coming into the KO. I still don't think it's BDIF. It had a lot of things going for it in the KO.

I've won a few tournaments using this deck. Here is my deck list:

Pokémon (11)

3x Darkrai-EX
3x Trubbish (DRX)
2x Garbodor
2x Sableye
1x Victini

Supporters (12)

4x N
4x Professor Juniper
2x Colress
2x Skyla

Items (25)

4x Dark Patch
4x Hypnotoxic Laser
3x Pokémon Catcher
3x Float Stone
3x Ultra Ball
2x Tool Scrapper
2x Dark Claw
2x Switch
1x Enhanced Hammer
1x Victory Piece

Stadiums (2)

2x Virbank City Gym

Energy (10)

10x Darkness Energy

And my records against the top/popular decks:

Vir/Gen 0-1
Blastoise/Keldeo 6-0
Darkrai/Hydreigon 4-0
Darkrai/Absol/Keldeo - 0-2

~

Trubbish Toolbox: 3-0
Zebstrika/Garbodor: 1-1

Unless you can get the turn 1 Victini vs Vir/Gen or the quick Garbodor you will be in trouble. Especially when you have three lasers in your hand. Like Aggressiv said, this deck will probably not shine in the new best of 3 with 50 minute time limit format. But that's what tweaking is for. :)

raymond25962 said:
Which Victini are you running?

if hes hoping for it T1 against VirGen I would guess Victini EX for its second attack for a donk against Virizion EX with Victory Piece ACE SPEC.

Cortel II said:
raymond25962 said:
Which Victini are you running?

if hes hoping for it T1 against VirGen I would guess Victini EX for its second attack for a donk against Virizion EX with Victory Piece ACE SPEC.

Precisely. He is not only useful in that match, though. I've had a few games where I was able to get Victini/VP out on turn one and Turbo Energize to set up the T2 Night Spear. Even better yet, a game or two where I've been able to do that and set up a Garbodor. Of course, getting Victini out with the VP on turn one is a rather race occurrence. Plasma Kyurem with a Silver Bangle could also be a pain...

What supporter lines do you guys run in this deck?
Ive been running:
4 Juniper
3 Skyla
4- N
2- Colress

It seems very clunky tho.

MountainDrew said:
Ive been running:
4 Juniper
3 Skyla
4- N
2- Colress

4 Juniper
4 N
2 Bianca
3 Random Receiver
Random Receiver is so good in this deck!

MountainDrew said:
Ive been running:
4 Juniper
3 Skyla
4- N
2- Colress

4x N
4x Juniper
2x Colress
2x Skyla

I don't like Random Receiver. Dropping a Colress for another Skyla or a Bianca might be a good idea. It sucks when you draw Colress on turn one with only two Pokémon on the bench.

evascythe said:
MountainDrew said:
Ive been running:
4 Juniper
3 Skyla
4- N
2- Colress

4x N
4x Juniper
2x Colress
2x Skyla

I don't like Random Receiver. Dropping a Colress for another Skyla or a Bianca might be a good idea. It sucks when you draw Colress on turn one with only two Pokémon on the bench.

I'de cut the colress and put 2 random recievers. Junk hunting for a supporter in the deck is too good to pass up on, If you REALLY don't like RR's I guess you could try bike but the major difference between this and speed darkrai is you aren't able to throw away resources as avidly as speed darkrai did. So your bicycle draws won't be as strong. But yeah I agree with camo, rr is very good with sabelye.

I have

4x Juniper
3x N
3x Skyla
1x Ghetsis
1x Random Receiver

I do like random receiver but I don't see myself using it very much. I also think that Skyla is one of your most important cards in this deck. It really helps when getting tools and Bicycle and all that good stuff. I use Ghetsis for turn 1 or beach or whenever the opponent has a large hand, I was thinking on taking it out for another RR what do you think?

Ghetsis is an interesting choice in a Darkrai deck. If you don't use it on turn one then it may end up being completely useless during mid to late game. I would drop it for another N, but that's just my opinion.

Momaster12 said:
I have

4x Juniper
3x N
3x Skyla
1x Ghetsis
1x Random Receiver

I do like random receiver but I don't see myself using it very much. I also think that Skyla is one of your most important cards in this deck. It really helps when getting tools and Bicycle and all that good stuff. I use Ghetsis for turn 1 or beach or whenever the opponent has a large hand, I was thinking on taking it out for another RR what do you think?

Drop Ghetsis and 1 Skyla for a fourth N and 1 Colress. Colress is a good choice since your bench most of the times will have more than 3 Pokemons.

Kingslayer said:
Momaster12 said:
I have

4x Juniper
3x N
3x Skyla
1x Ghetsis
1x Random Receiver

Drop Ghetsis and 1 Skyla for a fourth N and 1 Colress. Colress is a good choice since your bench most of the times will have more than 3 Pokemons.

Ghetsis is amazingly good in the mirror, and can be really good if your opponents hand is big too. Zimmerman gave some solid reasoning for playing ghetsis in his worlds report. He said:

"I figured something out, I hate colress. It was awful early game, and then during late game when it’s most effective, I should already have everything I need in my hand because of several Junk Hunts. Why would I want to shuffle it all back in? So I scanned my binder and briefly paused on Ghetsis. It just seemed better. Early game, it can disrupt a freshly Tropical Beached hand or an opposing Sableye that just took back two perfect items. Late game, who cares if it was bad?"

Solid reasoning IMO, not to mention he played a ghetsis at the KO meaning it still has plenty of use even in this format.

I'm not sure that works as well now; it was sold reasoning for worlds, but now that this deck is veering towards a more offensive version due to the loss of Crushing Hammer, I think more "offensive" supporters are better. My problem with Ghetsis has always been that even when you do manage to get some disruption off, it tends to not only be rather minimal, but there are even times when it helps your opponent because they were going to be forced to discard resources with something like a Juniper. Granted, that doesn't happen very often, and there always those moments when it totally screws your opponent's strategy and really does help, but unless you have extra room (which tbh you should not have in this deck unless you're missing something else), I simply don't think it's worth the space.

Back