RMT You're so Tentacruel!

DdogTheKing

On the surfside.
So, I been playing UU. And this is the team I been using in UU it's a tad bit fun and stuff. So whatcha think?

073.gif

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off / Rapid Spin
- Sludge Bomb
- Mirror Coat

This has been my recently tested set and so far it's been a total success. Mostly all my opponents questions why I purposely stay in on a threat. It's cause I can use Mirror Coat! of course, some moves like Psyshock can still KO me. I switch between Knock Off or Rapid Spin to gauge support measures. Scald / Sludge Bomb are my STABs.

207.gif

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Gligar is like Tentacruel's best friend. In terms, they syncherize with each other very well. Like how Tentacuel is weak to Electric, and Ground. Gligar is immuned to both of those. Gligar is weak to Water, and Ice. Tentacruel resists both of those you see where I am going with that. Gligar can assist me further by setting up rocks. and it can U-Turn out for switch incitive, and or chip damage. Earthquake is it's STAB. And Roost is it's recovery.

448.gif

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Lucario is here as my physical sweeper / cleanup mon. Lucario after +2 can sweep through once it's threats have been defeated. Close Combat is my main STAB. Extreme Speed is my priority to get off a huge hit on something that may outspeed me. Ice Punch is my coverage for Lucario.

015.gif

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper / Adaptability* [Mega]
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

M-Beedrill is my other physical sweeper. It's extremely powerful in it's mega state having a massive 150 base attack with Adaptability just spells power. However, M-Beedrill always has to mega evolve immediately so in can deal with threats immediately. M-Beedrill is a glass cannon as well so it's better to deal massive damage to finish stuff off.

492.gif

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I wanted Shaymin as a good special attacker, and the Aromatherapy support can be greatly appreciated if something got burned, paralyzed and so on. Seed Flare is main STAB. Earth Power & HP Ice are my coverage move.

671.gif

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Moonblast

Florges is my backup wall for Tentacruel cause some attacks I don't want Tentacruel to take alot of damage thus hurting the success rate of using Mirror Coat. I use the Wish to of course heal myself, and my comrades. Protect to make Wish work on itself 100% of the time, to scout, or to get off some free leftovers recovery. Toxic to ware down mons. And Moonblast is my STAB.​

Id say Toxic Spikes instead of Sludge Bomb on Tentacruel, Bullet Punch over Extreme Speed on Lucario and X-Scissor over U-Turn on Beedrill. :) Also I might inform that Fire Types hit super effectively Lucario, Beedrill and Shaymin...

Team Rocket Fan said:
Id say Toxic Spikes instead of Sludge Bomb on Tentacruel, Bullet Punch over Extreme Speed on Lucario and X-Scissor over U-Turn on Beedrill. :) Also I might inform that Fire Types hit super effectively Lucario, Beedrill and Shaymin...

You can't use TS if you have AV
U-Turn is better then X-Scissor IMO for MBeedrill as it allows it to hit and run without taking damage which is important for Beedrill since it is so frail and cannot afford to take a hit.

On Tentacruel I think you should go with Rapid Spin>Knock Off since you have Mega Beedrill and one of the best ways to deal with Mega Beedrill is SR+Priority move.

Team looks interesting I am going to try it :)

He's better off with U-Turn seeing as how Beedrill can't take a hit for shit with that tasty base 30 Def and you get to build momentum.

I feel like Tenta would be better off with Black Sludge and something over Mirror Coat like Tspikes/Spin/Clear Smog/Acid Spray/Sludge Bomb because you get nice passive recovery which tenta needs more and you'd probably get more utility from Scald, Spin, Spikes, Sludge or something like Knock Off, especially against physical mons where you would basically only have 3 moveslots. Plus Tspikes won't work with Ass Vest. I feel like AV and Mirror Coat are competing with each other which is bad to have on a set. You have an item that raises your already plenty high special defense, but a move that does more damage the more damage you take. Definitely keep Rapid Spin to keep Beedrill alive longer.

Cinesra said:
He's better off with U-Turn seeing as how Beedrill can't take a hit for shit with that tasty base 30 Def and you get to build momentum.

I feel like Tenta would be better off with Black Sludge and something over Mirror Coat like Tspikes/Spin/Clear Smog/Acid Spray/Sludge Bomb because you get nice passive recovery which tenta needs more and you'd probably get more utility from Scald, Spin, Spikes, Sludge or something like Knock Off, especially against physical mons where you would basically only have 3 moveslots. Plus Tspikes won't work with Ass Vest. I feel like AV and Mirror Coat are competing with each other which is bad to have on a set. You have an item that raises your already plenty high special defense, but a move that does more damage the more damage you take. Definitely keep Rapid Spin to keep Beedrill alive longer.

Reason why I chose Assault Vest is even with a nice 120 base SDef stat it can take som hits but I wanted to minize the damage so that perhaps that Tentacruel could heal from more wishes cause Tenta can come in on alot of mons for free and take little damage as possible. Sure, Black Sludge is nice. But, I like to try and own ideas.

Massive tl;dr post incoming

As somebody who's played UU since DPP, I agree with everything Cinesra said about Tentacruel and Black Sludge. That little bit of recovery is way way way way more important than Assault Vest is, on top of the fact that in 95% of cases, Assault Vest is absolutely irrelevant. Pokemon like Nidoking + Queen, Galvantula, and Goodra are going to win against you anyways, while pokemon like Florges are going to lose to you anyways. It might allow you to survive a hit or two, but Tentacruel's Scald is extremely weak, so you won't win the battle anyways.

Black Sludge is much better for a plethora of reasons. It makes you much more durable against the prominent Physical UU Threats (ie: Mienshao), it allows you to use attacks from Tentacruel's FANTASTIC support movepool (Toxic, Toxic Spikes, Protect, Magic Coat just to name a few), and it's good to switch into a predicted Trick. Without being able to utilize its support movepool, Tentacruel is inferior by a lot of bulky water-types in the tier. Pokemon like Swampert would be a better choice because it's not only bulkier, but much more powerful.

I'd go with this:
[animate]tentacruel[/animate] @Black Sludge
Trait: idk lol, they're all really good. I prefer liquid ooze myself (screw leech seed) but I wouldn't argue with Clear Body just because Seed Flare is annoying.
Bold
240 HP/244 Def/24 Spe
~Scald
~Toxic/Toxic Spikes
~Rapid Spin (this is the only reason to use this pokemon instead of Swampert.)
~Knock Off/Protect

Yeah I know, it's a boring, standard smogon set plus protect. But don't fix it if it ain't broke. 24 Speed EVs allows you to get by Adamant Honchkrow (which is actually really important) and anything slower (ie: Swampert, Chesnaught). I don't know the reason for only 240 HP instead of max, but I'm assuming it's so Black Sludge gives you the most HP back possible. Rest in defense to give you the most longevity possible.

For the last slot, Smogon doesn't list Protect, but it's extremely useful. Not only can you rack up damage from Toxic/Toxic Spikes more easily with it, but you can scout pokemon holding Choiced items. Imagine the look of disgust on a player using Scarf/Band Flygon after they click "u-turn" only to watch their opponent use Protect. Knock Off is still cool though because a lot of the things that would switch into Tentacruel (ie: CM Suicune, Ghosts blocking Rapid Spin, Espeon) HATE getting Knock Off'd.

Now, for the rest of the team: Gligar is a great pokemon in this metagame. It is a physical wall, and great pivot. Therefore, you should EV it physically. EVing it in Special Defense is pointless because anything with an Ice move or a Water move is going to obliterate it regardless. For example, a 0 SpAtk Tentacruel hits for a MINIMUM of 40% with rocks on the field, and it has a 30% chance to burn. Assuming of course, that it hasn't Knocked Off your Eviolite. And this is Tentacruel, which has the LOWEST special attack stat of all the Water-types in UU. Anything else with Scald hits harder, so eviolite doesn't really do anything for you. (not to mention pretty much any other water type runs Ice Beam as a standard, Tentacruel just doesn't because it's got so many other options.) EVing it in Physical Defense is great because it allows you to be a much more reliable check to pokemon like Infernape, Lucario, and guts Heracross. Basically just use the same set, but make it Impish with max Defense instead of Careful with max Special Defense.

I prefer Adamant nature on Lucario, because with Extremespeed, you don't really have to worry about outspeeding much, but I wouldn't argue with Jolly too much since it allows you to get by Timid Chandelure. More Chandelure checks is always better. Chandelure is a bitch, lol. I just want you to be aware that Adamant is a good option as well.

On Shaymin, if I'm not using Leech Seed, I prefer Life Orb. Without the extra power, pokemon like Suicune can actually beat you with enough Calm Mind boosts. I would also drop Hidden Power Ice and Earth Power for Psychic and Dazzling Gleam. Psychic at least is extremely important because it allows you to hit Roserade and Crobat for super-effective damage, both of whom otherwise switch in for free 100% of the time, and stop all of your momentum. I prefer Dazzling Gleam to HP Ice because you still hit Salamence very hard, while also hitting Hydreigon, Heracross, and Chesnaught super-effectively. The only thing you "lose" is the ability to hit Chandelure for super-effective damage, but honestly, Stealth Rock + Life Orb Psychic maims it pretty badly. I would also switch Aromatherapy to Synthesis, Shaymin NEEDS the ability to heal itself immediately because it's the only way for it to beat things like Kingdra. Not to mention that it's not hard to create a free turn for Shaymin to use it due to the SpDef drops that Seed Flare provides.

The Florges set is fine, however if you switch Shaymin and still really really want to have a cleric on the team, then you can use Aromatherapy instead of Toxic. A lot of pokemon that beat Florges (CM/Rest Suicune, Steel-types, Poison-types) aren't really affected by Toxic anyways, so if you were going to drop a move, I would make it that one.

tl;dr:
~Do everything Cinesra said to do on Tentacruel, and make it 240 HP/244 Def/24 Spe Bold
~Make Gligar physically defensive, not specially defensive
~Adamant is good on Lucario, but Jolly is fine too
~Make Shaymin either the Leech Seed set, or the Life Orb set. Leftovers + Attacks doesn't hit hard enough, Leftovers without Leech Seed doesn't stall well enough. Give it Synthesis if you opt for the Life Orb set.
~Aromatherapy can be used on Florges if you really need a cleric, which I don't think you do.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't think I explicitly said this, so I'll say it now. If my massive 4 paragraph essay somehow didn't convince you that AV Tentacruel isn't what this team needs, please for the love of god use Rapid Spin over Knock Off because Mega Beedrill without Rapid Spin support is absolutely terrible as a pokemon.

Back