Your claim to religion?

Breakfast Cereal

Aspiring Trainer
Short and simple- do you identify yourself with a religion or belief system or not? Explain why.

Keep it calm, respectful, and understanding, everyone.

Atheism.

I don't see why you would believe in a God, especially one at hateful at the one identified in almost all religions. Christianity being most prominent, mostly believers are people who actually just don't care, and don't really agree with anything The Bible says. They don't know what it is actually saying.

6a00d83451bb2969e20168e5225e96970c-580wi

Religion is an interesting subject to me.

People put so much emphasis on how one identifies them self. We've all been asked, "What religion are you". Far less often are we asked "How deep is your faith"? Society has come under the impression that religions are separate entities that are some how distinctly different from one another.They are not.

If two people live identical lives, (Purely theoretical) one is Christian, one is Jewish, how are they any different? They aren't, and I think it is very much stupid that they would be judged differently in society, and in the sight of a divine power.

These are my philosophies regarding religion:

1. Religion should never have an element of fear. Any religion with an exit fee is rubbish to me. I think it is absolutely crazy when religions say that only its followers can reach a desired after life. You mean to tell me that a serial killer of one religion could go to heaven, but that a Ghandi of another would go to hell. What kind of sick God sends you to heaven or hell by the color of your shirt? A religion that prescribes hell for those who don't believe in its intricacies breaks every fundamental rule of a fair God.

2. Religion isn't an occupation, and it shouldn't be. No - I'm not referring to priests or alternatives, rather the concept some people believe that spending enormous amounts of time in religious activities will better them in some way. Now, there's nothing wrong with that if one enjoys it, but there shouldn't be a prize for whoever shells the most Wonka bars. Religion is a set of guidelines for your life, not your life it self.

3. The religions we are familiar today are but an illusion. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, they are all just names. Just labels. Labels we use to fuel hate and conflict. If you take a step back, you'll realize that every religion is essentially the same thing. Don't kill. Don't steal. Don't cheat. Be a good person. Live a good life. Etc, etc. Sure there are differences, but do these differences really affect how we live our lives? Other than where/who we go to worship, (If any) and possibly a clothing difference, is there any way to determine the religion of some guy on the street? No.

What if a person just happens to follow all of the guidelines of one religion, but doesn't identify themselves as a follower. What if that same person just happens to identify as that of a different religion, but lives the same life as one who is of the other? How does that work?

Really, it doesn't matter. Which specific religion you follow really could not mean less. People should be judged on who they are and what they've done. I think any claims that a caring divine power would think otherwise is ludicrous.

That said, there is nothing wrong with religion. A big part of why religion exists is to help us with our lives. If a certain religion helps you become a better person, that's great. We should respect everyone's religion. Religion is about you, and your beliefs. Not about others. I do believe in God and vaguely the concepts in Heaven and Hell. I also believe that an atheist has the exact same chance of going to Heaven as even the most dedicated priest. It's about what's inside, what you do. If religion was as black and white as people like to make it out, why are there so many different beliefs? Why are some people born into the wrong label?

Religion is okay, religion is good. Religious exclusiveness is not okay. Religious discrimination is not okay. Vote the issue.

As Peter Werbe from Nightcall says, "Religion is only good if you need it."
If it makes a better person out of you, go for it. Religion is good if you need to find that last shred of hope for a way out before you OD or whatever. If it makes you a refined human being or a better person of yourself, I have no quarrels.

But if you choose religion only to use it as a weapon of fear, I pity you.
Religion should be used as a moral guideline. I hate it when someone assumes I have no morals because I deny their god's existence and don't share similar beliefs. This riles me and I have two main problems with this.
1. Obviously, my morals are nine times out of ten better than yours. I don't judge those by their race, gender, orientation, or upbringing, and I sure as hell don't judge people on their religious beliefs. Doing that is digging a hole. It is making you feel better at the expense of others' differences to yours. It's narrow-minded thinking, and this tends to lead to hypocrisy. I love when people do this, though; I can't resist belittling someone from time-to-time because their mouth is missing a brain.
2. People go out of their way to harass others because they don't agree with their life choices. This legit happened to me recently; I was at a memorial service, and the pastor started to force the following of Christ upon me. I couldn't help but judge him on Sunday, but I couldn't stop noticing how his shirt was calling for a theocracy. Besides that, back on point: I don't agree with that arrogant way of thinking.
It's my life. I chose to be atheist. I chose because I realized I never was that devoted, and rejected the idea of Heaven and Hell. I chose to do this because it is my life, not yours. Are you me? No. Am I you? No. Should you care about my life? If you want. Should you control my life? No. If I made the life choice to come to terms on what I believe, I did it. I did it because I was tired of the label of Methodist. I wanted a label that means, or rather should mean, nothing.
I made my choice. I will continue to make choices. It is my life, not yours to dictate. Do I call you out and judge you by your choices on what you believe? No. So really...
Why. Should. You. Care? If it bothers you that much, I'm sorry, but get your insecurities in check.

I just don't enjoy having someone tell me I'm immoral or I'm going to burn for my sins. Immorality is something I am not familiar with. I have an excellent sense of morality. Also, how can I 'burn' in a place that's existence I deny? Again, I said before, be aware of imaginary flames.

And to end my rant, I just want to sum it up.
Religion is good for those who need it. These people can be on the verge of self-destruction to normal everyday run-of-the-mill people. Religion is bad for those whose egos are unchecked. These egomaniacs end up forcing their opinions onto others because they can't keep control of themselves.
And then the entire argument of "You'll burn" is effectively countered with "You care... Why, exactly?"

Growing up my family never wet to church but were always told about god but other than that we weren't all too religious. My family identifies themselves as Christians, aside from my stepfather who is catholic, but I've chosen to be agnostic. I'm at the point in my life where I find no time for religion but likely later on in life (likely after college so in 4 years) ill find faith in some religion that I choose. I'm still unsure and clueless to many things as religion goes and it does sound rather interesting but right now I don't know if I'm ready for a commitment to such thing.

Something I find really annoying is atheists hating on religious people (and bashing religion) because a small minority of them are extreme. Hypocrisy much?

This world might just be a tad too cool and organized to be random, so I think there might be some power that is/used to be controlling this in some way. An old man in the sky? Of course not. But, as I said, there might be some kind of mystical power. And that would be God. Now, how much that power "cares" about humans etc. is impossible to predict. Maybe it does? Maybe it doesn't at all? Humans have thoughts, thoughts are not physical, so there could easily be some kind of thinking and emotional being(s) in a bigger space too.

In my opinion complete denial of the possibility of such a power existing is somewhat silly.

I don't believe in any religion and am convinced that humans have made up the concept; probably in a time where law was not enough to keep people safe. I think that religions have had both positive and negative impacts on humanity and the world as a consequence. Some religions (like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and more) focus the existing of the world on humans and humans should live peacefully amongst each other, and (from what I understood) animals have been created to help and serve humans. Other religions (Buddhism, Hinduism, and more) look at all life as equals and strive for harmony between all living beings.

Although I don't believe in the concept myself, I understand that some people need to believe in it to, for example, find power within themselves, guidance, or to find meaning in life. I disagree with many things said in religion but also believe that wee are free to make our own choices as long as they don't hurt others.

Ignorance can be bliss. Some people need it to live happier lives, and I won't judge them for that. I am lucky enough to be able to believe in my own strength and don't require the concept of a god to find happiness and strength.

I disapprove on people who try to force their own religion and way of life on others; especially when it is done through force. Let people be who they want to be and believe in what they want to believe in as long as they don't harm others.

Teal said:
Something I find really annoying is atheists hating on religious people (and bashing religion) because a small minority of them are extreme. Hypocrisy much?
There's a saying that goes along with this. Something along the lines of a few rotten apples spoil the bunch.
Also, please do explain how that is hypocritical. I want to hear your statement.

Teal said:

Imo, atheists have the right to be angry a lot of the time.

This sums up why I think so, so that I don't have to go too in-depth in this thread.

Jay said:
Religion is okay, religion is can be good. Religious exclusiveness is not okay. Religious discrimination is not okay.

^ My thoughts. If you use religion to comfort yourself and better your life, I'm pretty much fine with it. If you use it to get what you want, force it on children/brainwash children into not understanding basic scientific facts, or use it to discriminate, that's when we're gonna have a problem.

It's just that I grew up with religion, and I know some people who are affected positively by it, and a whole lot of people who are affected negatively by it.

Just for caution, this thread will probably break out into an argument.
I'm atheist because God is silly. To say that an all-powerful benevolent ruler allows the death of innocent thousands everyday doesn't make sense to me.

Tsoliades said:

This sums up why I think so, so that I don't have to go too in-depth in this thread.
That is a very tl;dr "sum up", I'm not going to waste my time on that.

That's like saying that I have the right to be angry at black people because black people have killed people.

Also, please do explain how that is hypocritical. I want to hear your statement.
Bashing is the same as forcing your atheism on religious people, saying "you are so gullible, hear me telling the truth" while at the same time being angry at religious people because some are telling them the same thing, but from the other point of view. ;)

I am a Christian. I find it the fact that there's a God who had a plan for creation of the universe, the people, etc. more logical than the fact that we just happened to pick the right card out of a deck of billions. upon billions. upon billions.

Even though I might believe in God and Heaven and Hell though, I really don't appreciate the amount of judging there is going on between religions. And I don't just mean Atheists judging Christians, but vice versa as well, when Christians start to judge Atheists for their beliefs. Some people don't find it logical that there's a guy up in the sky that controls everything. I'm not going to judge somebody for that. One of my favorite youtube videos is this one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhG-tkQ_Q2w

It's a video of Penn Jillette, who is very famous, but is also an Atheist. However, he actually takes the time to understand people who are religious and why they do what they do. I really wish there were more people like him (who are both religious as well as non-religious). People who have very deep, convicted beliefs, but can do so without just passing judgement onto others for what they do.

Jay said:
Far less often are we asked "How deep is your faith"?
I do also agree with this. There are so many people who claim to be "adamantly" religious, or if they aren't religious, to follow a certain set of morals, but then either live their life completely contradictory to what their religion or morals, or are stumped by even the simplest of philosophical questions. I really think that if you want to believe something, you should be taking the time to study it and learn how to defend your faith (or lack thereof) when a deep discussion comes up. I understand that it's not possible to have the answers to everything, but I don't think you should be left stumped by an extremely simple question.

Teal said:
Tsoliades said:

That's like saying that I have the right to be angry at black people because black people have killed people.

No, it's not. That's a totally unrelated analogy.
I never even implied that the anger should be towards all religious people.

Tsoliades said:
If you use it to get what you want, force it on children/brainwash children into not understanding basic scientific facts, or use it to discriminate, that's when we're gonna have a problem.

Teal said:

What about other religions ''hating'' on each other?

Teal said:
Tsoliades said:

You should have read the article.. then you wouldn't have missed out on the message of it. ''Black people'' have not a way of living that they force onto other people, the article gave a few examples where a supposed secular nation requires people, people of all religions and atheists as well, to live by laws derived from religious books.

I believe in god but I think the bible is full of crap there are so many holes and it contradicts its self so much it is not funny.
I could go in to detail but it would take at least 9 to ten pages of writing for me to explain what I mean and why I think it is.
Please note I am not trying to piss any one off or upset any one this is my opinion on religion.
there is to much corrupt priests out there more so in the catholic area and with all these cults and different religions and there bibles or passages of the holiness is different and variant to others.

Hmm, well if you really asked me to self-identify, I could certainly say I have the most experience with Christianity. I was basically born into it and taught it, and had some theoretical/intellectual idea about it until 13 years old when a catalystic gaming experience really gave me this sense of Jesus loving me.

Haha! That already sounds ridiculous to some people, I think. Well, believe what you want to believe.

I've recently come to admire Buddhism a lot, too. I love the idea of trying to understand the causes of actions, rather than just their content (thoughts and emotions are considered actions too, in this context.) You know about cause and effect? It happens all the time in nature. Fire burns up other substance into ashes, water soaks carpets, encouraging mildew build-up, nutrients in food strengthen muscles and bones,

We cause ourselves stress and suffering when we fail to see the cause and results of our actions. If we had that knowledge, we could more skillfully use our actions to bring peace and love into our lives, and other people's.

I've only started mingling with this for a month or so, and this is only my impression of it at this moment!

I hope someone else can explain more about Buddhism better than I can...

As for this big war going on between different religions. I have to admit, it sounds horrifying, and I confess to playing part in it in the past, but I'm starting to look for ways to float out of it....

Boy, religion seems pretty hard to deal with sometimes, huh?

I am a Secular Humanist.

Wikipedia said:
It posits that human beings are capable of being ethical and moral without religion or a god. It does not, however, assume that humans are either inherently evil or innately good, nor does it present humans as being superior to nature. Rather, the humanist life stance emphasizes the unique responsibility facing humanity and the ethical consequences of human decisions. Fundamental to the concept of secular humanism is the strongly held viewpoint that ideology—be it religious or political—must be thoroughly examined by each individual and not simply accepted or rejected on faith. Along with this, an essential part of secular humanism is a continually adapting search for truth, primarily through science and philosophy. Many Humanists derive their moral codes from a philosophy of utilitarianism, ethical naturalism or evolutionary ethics, and some advocate a science of morality.

I believe that we, humans, must unite and work with each other to form a better world for the benefit of all. Religion and moralistic codes ultimately prevent us from moving forward and evolving as a society, mainly because we dwell on it. We cannot see past "oh r u a kristan atiehist or a jew lulz hahahahahaha god this and god that" and see each other as a union of beings that are one thing: human. Religion is a label, and most of the time, organized religion is corrupt. We can each have our own personal "Jesus," but I do not believe that we should push it on anyone or anything. I do not believe in a "God," nor do I believe in any mythical being, simply because it has no effect on my life whatsoever. We cannot rely on any being to play with us like puppets, especially not for the common "good;" we must pave our own way.

I rely on science, most of the time, as my source of truth. If science proves the existence of a "God," or whatever, I will still not worship it, for it has no bearing on my life. I do not rely on, nor do I expect, anyone to do anything for me. I give credit where credit is due. If I do something great, I do not credit a supernatural being for doing it for me; I praise my hard work and effort to get it done.

Anyhow, I do not believe in a "God," but I will not put down anyone because they do. I dwell on logic, not a book that is thousands of years old, which provides tons of falsified information.

I believe in God because I want to believe that there is life after death. It's farfetched, I know. But if there is a heaven, I want to go there. If there isn't, then it won't really matter. I've tried to imagine what life would be like if I didn't exist. But I am never able to do it because it isn't really possible IMO. I don't go to church because I don't need a building and a bunch of people preaching to me the same thing every Sunday. I know wrong from right. The end. So yes, I believe in God. The thing is, no one can prove nor disprove a higher entity, and that, my friends, is a part of life.

PDC said:
^So you're an agnostic?
Agnosticism is believing that there's no proof for nor against the existence of a god(I'm agnostic, by the way). He believes in a god, just not the god of an organized religion, which I'm pretty sure is called theism.
jdivinity said:
Growing up my family never wet to church but were always told about god but other than that we weren't all too religious. My family identifies themselves as Christians, aside from my stepfather who is catholic, but I've chosen to be agnostic. I'm at the point in my life where I find no time for religion but likely later on in life (likely after college so in 4 years) ill find faith in some religion that I choose. I'm still unsure and clueless to many things as religion goes and it does sound rather interesting but right now I don't know if I'm ready for a commitment to such thing.
AdamLambert said:
I believe in God because I want to believe that there is life after death. It's farfetched, I know. But if there is a heaven, I want to go there. If there isn't, then it won't really matter. I've tried to imagine what life would be like if I didn't exist. But I am never able to do it because it isn't really possible IMO. I don't go to church because I don't need a building and a bunch of people preaching to me the same thing every Sunday. I know wrong from right. The end. So yes, I believe in God. The thing is, no one can prove nor disprove a higher entity, and that, my friends, is a part of life.
Chosing to believe in something is the same as not believing in something and lying about it to others and/or yourself. You can't chose to believe in something. I can't choose to believe that a flying spaghetti monster created the universe.

Back