Pokemon Your Career Path in the Pokémon Universe?

RE: What career path would you choose in the Pokémon Universe?

Drokas said:
guess I need to lighten up a bit! :rolleyes:

Li'l bit.

Oh. And, before I forget, arguing the semantics of a fantasy is kind of missing the point. Also, Neither the pokemon mentioned so far nor the careers seem too over the top to me, there were just a couple legendaries (even then, those were registeel and the kami trio) the rest of the pokemon were common and not very special species, and most of the "careers" are either self-made (traveler, farmer, ranger, mother) or between the boundaries of plausibility (actor, scientist, assistant scientist).

And I think that a trainer can't have more than 6 pokeballs at any time, but I figure there must be exceptions, like the persons who move pokemon in bulk, owners of businesses that work with pokemon, and professors like oak.

Some posts were basically telling what would happen, with certainty. I'm not trying to depreciate their posts, I honestly found them funny. But hey, where there's life, there's hope! :cool: (I mean, look at my choices! xDD

professorlight said:
Oh. And, before I forget, arguing the semantics of a fantasy is kind of missing the point. Also, Neither the pokemon mentioned so far nor the careers seem too over the top to me, there were just a couple legendaries (even then, those were registeel and the kami trio) the rest of the pokemon were common and not very special species, and most of the "careers" are either self-made (traveler, farmer, ranger, mother) or between the boundaries of plausibility (actor, scientist, assistant scientist).
I believe I wasn't very clear about that part... I was just supporting my argument, or at least trying, saying that you need to work hard for your dreams, they don't fall from the sky... I wasn't actually aiming it to anyone in particular and I didn't even remember most of the careers chosen (except for the first one, the swimmer and the mother), it was just me taking all the facts into account and kind of giving a reality-check (sorry if I offended anyone!!) And I just put the Legends there as well because some characters never actually see any of them personally for their entire life, hence the name.
Conclusion: I suppose I took the real world/life statement a bit to literally.
angel.gif

professorlight said:
And I think that a trainer can't have more than 6 pokeballs at any time, but I figure there must be exceptions, like the persons who move pokemon in bulk, owners of businesses that work with pokemon, and professors like oak.
Hum yeah, I guess. ^^' I wouldn't like to get my Pokémon confiscated or spend a night in prison just because I like to hang out outdoors with all my pals. :p Thanks :)

PS: By the way, I just re-read some posts and found yours... Pokémon Psychology is an amazing career choice! :D

professorlight said:

I think it's the other way around: trainers are the exception to the habit of carrying more than 6. A lot of people in the anime have Pokémon as pets or as a labor force and while most apperar to not have Pkballs, it would make sense to have them since people need to move and they can't hang out with their Pokémon in the subway (see Magnet Train).
Trainers must be the only ones that can't carry more than 6 since and I think that has something to do with the Pkdex, since this is needed to enter compettitions and to be a certified trainer. The Pkdex and the limit might be to keep the battles between trainers fair since it would be difficult to control and watch every battle that happens across a region. Uncertified trainers might be able to carry more than 6 but cannot participate.

Drokas said:
I'm not trying to be mean or rude but it's kinda funny how some people are saying "I would be" like you could just snap your fingers and be what you desire. I know it's just a fantasy but it would make more sense to say "I would aspire" or something of the sorts. Like @Inferchomp said, it's not like everyone could be "the very best like no one ever was". :p Being a Professor requires a degree (I suppose) and field training. There would be a lot of competition to be a Gym Leader or even a member of the Elite Four, some of them probably being better than you... And chances that you would meet Legendaries are pretty low, even more having them on your team but I guess I'm being too rational and realistic. ^^'
Like in real life, I would like to pursue either acting or modeling, ideally both. And the Pokémon I would have would be mostly for company and for some occasional match-ups. I could also apply to some competitions from time to time. I mean, only if they wanted, I don't like to sound like PETA but it would kill me having my Pokémon hurt because of me. :(

In my case I know that I wouldn't start right there with a neat HQ and all the Pokémon. After all, there's the logistic side and sheltering and mantain Pokémon can't be cheap.
Most likely I would start more like a NGO seeking voluntaries and donations. Since I would start in Hoenn, I would try to find Archie and Maxie and ask for their help (namely resources) along with the former members of both teams, they would be the bulk of the rangers.
And since I know that mine isn't an easy goal and that work sometimes can be frustrating I know that I could might even "fall to the dark side", using Exeggutor to hypnotise people and make them do my biding, mistreat captured poachers/hunters/T.Rocket' grunts using stun and poisonpowder to get information from them along with a squeeze from Vine Whip, send Cacturne to give them a nice and warm hug...full of spikes and then I would feed them to Victreebel to erase evidence.
By the end of the day, most likely I would leave the Rangers in the hand of the second-in-command and travel in search of Virizion to request its help to fulfil my goals and try to capture Celebi so I could travel back in time and fix some mistakes (perhaps I wouldn't try to capture Celebi since messing with time travellers usually ends up bad).
Modesty aside, this is one hell of a story.:D:p

I've thought of something like this for a while. I would first gather some pokemon.

-Gardevoir (She can lift things up when brute strength is not enough)
-Gurrdurr/Conkeldurr (The brute strength)
-Timburr (To help Gurdurr or Conkeldurr)
-Another Timburr (See above)
-Blastoise (To carry and help with water)
-Charizard (For campfires)

Can you guess what I'm going to use them for?

Its a team for construction! I would seek to go out to pokemon forests and territories, and build places where people and pokemon can live together aside from the cities and towns. I would name the territory a "Nation" and set up tents to look like the pokemon that is most prevalent in the area.

For example, if pikachu outnumbered all of the other pokemon in the habitat then we would call it Pika-Nation, and have more pikachu themed tents than other pokemon themed tents. I suppose I would also build a house as well, as some pokemon would need more space. Same with people living there, so the house would accompany them both. But I would limit it to one house per 'nation' so it doesn't turn into a town and the forest or nation doesn't get too crowded.

After I had finished it and stayed with the nation for a while, I would then look for some more people to watch over this 'nation' and I would move onto building the next nation after I get them settled. I would hire people to help me watch over the nations that we make as I continue my journey.

There would be a coalition per pokemon type. Like a electric, fire, or dragon coalition.
These coalitions would be dedicated to helping the pokemon nations that are of their type.

I've been thinking that would make a fun game. Pokemon Nation. Ah well, one can dream.

What a bunch of awesome posts already! And you can choose whatever career path you want but make sure to include why the Pokémon you select will be a part of your career (you can just say they're your favorites too)! I'll post mine later when I get home. Awesome job so far! :)

Edit: Okay I'll do it from this post so I don't double post!

After the obligatory journey as a ten year (man how careless are our parents?!), I will attend PokéUniversity and get a degree in Geography (my actual degree!).

Afterwards I will become a surveyor, or cartographer, in any region that needs my help mapping out certain hazards, where pokémon reside, which region could add more business because of population growth and growth in income among residents, etc.

I will have my trusty Skarmory to scout overhead for me to give me a great visual (I'd attach a helmet camera to her head to video tape it) of the area I am surveying, which is a lot more fun than just remote sensing from satellites.

Then I will have my ground crew of Infernape and Sceptile quickly scamper through any woodland areas to take an estimate of the amount of pokémon in the area, as well the types. (They will also have helmet cams of some sort for video recording).

For the same idea, but with streams and large ponds/lakes, I will have Swampert investigate any watery parts of an area and take note of what types and how many pokémon there are in said streams or lakes.

In case of a pokémon outbreak where the wild pokémon because severely agitated, I will have my Electivire there for my protection. He'd be my security team, and the security team of the other pokémon when they are in a vulnerable state (resting after surveying, or guarding Swampert while it is under water.)

Though I assume the pokémon world has email (I'm positive they do), I will instead send my handmade write-ups with my trusty Swellow directly to the person, business, or government entity that needs it.

I will also rotate in six other pokémon when my original six get tired or need a vacation:

- Sealeo to do the same thing as Swampert.
- Houndoom to do the same job as Sceptile/Infernape.
- Zoroark to do the same job as Sceptile/Infernape.
- Braviary to do Skarmory or Swellow's job.
- Beartic to do Electivire's job.
- Crobat to do Skarmory or Swellow's job.

Being an aspiring teacher in the real world, I would want to be a teacher in the Pokemon World. It would be my job to train the would be Pokemon Trainers. Seeing former students at Pokemon Leagues or getting postcards from their travels would be very rewarding. This is based on the one episode in the anime where Ash encounters a school.

At age 6 children would have a choice to attend classes for Pokemon Training on top of their regular classes. This training would include how to basically survive in the wilderness, catch and take care of Pokemon. At age 10 they can choose to depart onto the world and become a Pokemon Trainer.

Or... students could train at the school and earn some badges there. Student's could earn a badge equivalent a semester, or more if they were on an "advanced" track. Student's could embark on their journey after any number or gym badges earned. To get new Pokemon they could capture them from the nearby forests, trade, or go on field trips to a "safari zone" type place.

The trainers would battle against themselves with constrictive criticism as well as myself. They would study battle techniques, moves, and all aspects of Pokemon. To make sure students are not entirely familiar with my style, someone else would battle students for their badges, or use Pokemon unbeknownst to the class.

My Teaching Assistants:
  • Ursaring- my most well trained Pokemon.
  • Braviary- Will help teach trainers how to use Fly with their Pokemon, and is just a great bird.
  • Golduck- Same with Braviary and Surf, additionally psychic skills will help in teaching.
  • Ninjask- Its high speed and small size would be great for Pokemon to try to catch.
  • Gyarados- To show students how to train a "difficult" Pokemon.
  • Shuckle- Because it's Shuckle.

Fancy said:
-Gardevoir (She can lift things up when brute strength is not enough)
-Gurrdurr/Conkeldurr (The brute strength)
-Timburr (To help Gurdurr or Conkeldurr)
-Another Timburr (See above)
-Blastoise (To carry and help with water)
-Charizard (For campfires)

If it's construction help what you are going for, and it's not a favorite or anything, you might want to change gardevoir for alakazam, or even gallade. I'd reccomend alakazam, because you will need help lifting heavy things (which you mentioned), cutting lumber (with psycho cut, another important thing) and, believe me, if you are doing constuction, you will run into complex problems of physics and management (material quantities, measurements, weights, etc) so you might want a superintelligent thinking machine capable of taking measures and doing the necessary calculations at a glance.
And charizard is a great choice, you will need something to airlift materials and move freely.
And also you might want a pokemon to help you extract rock and other materials from the surroundings, and clear heavy rocks out of the way; golem with explosion, maybe? no. rhydon. Definitely rhydon. Awesome pokemon, the best you can possibly use for constuction.

Leaf_Ranger said:
professorlight said:

I think it's the other way around: trainers are the exception to the habit of carrying more than 6. A lot of people in the anime have Pokémon as pets or as a labor force and while most apperar to not have Pkballs, it would make sense to have them since people need to move and they can't hang out with their Pokémon in the subway (see Magnet Train).
Trainers must be the only ones that can't carry more than 6 since and I think that has something to do with the Pkdex, since this is needed to enter compettitions and to be a certified trainer. The Pkdex and the limit might be to keep the battles between trainers fair since it would be difficult to control and watch every battle that happens across a region. Uncertified trainers might be able to carry more than 6 but cannot participate.

But if some unlicensed trainer with more than 6 pokemon were to fight against a licensed trainer wouldn't it be unfair?
I don't think the honor code is enough to balance the system.

professorlight said:
I always got the impression that that was the whole reason you never run into anybody with more than 6 Pokemon. I wouldn't quite call it a real honor system where everybody agrees to be nice to each other, but rather an agreement that if you try to use another Pokemon against me, I'll have my dragon roast you alive. Maybe even as far as it being some engraved sacred part of the culture that the people in the Pokemon world that people wouldn't even think of breaking. I could see people deciding to be nice and respectful in order to avoid all the downsides of people training deadly monsters like said dragon face-barbequing. It's hard to survive as a species with the constant threat of using animals to murder each other, so I could see that becoming a necessity.

Cinesra said:
I always got the impression that that was the whole reason you never run into anybody with more than 6 Pokemon. I wouldn't quite call it a real honor system where everybody agrees to be nice to each other, but rather an agreement that if you try to use another Pokemon against me, I'll have my dragon roast you alive. Maybe even as far as it being some engraved sacred part of the culture that the people in the Pokemon world that people wouldn't even think of breaking. I could see people deciding to be nice and respectful in order to avoid all the downsides of people training deadly monsters like said dragon face-barbequing. It's hard to survive as a species with the constant threat of using animals to murder each other, so I could see that becoming a necessity.

So what happens if you meet Arceus in the wild and use seven Pokemon? At the last one does he just decide to use Judgement your poor little Pikachu's face because you broke a code from the beginning of time?

Bob The Magical Penguin said:
So what happens if you meet Arceus in the wild and use seven Pokemon? At the last one does he just decide to use Judgement your poor little Pikachu's face because you broke a code from the beginning of time?
The idea was that you wouldn't carry seven with you to begin with because it's such an engrained part of your culture/life/personality/everything. Breaking it would be something akin to raping and killing your paraplegic little sister, something you just DO NOT do. Plus I just meant trainers in the first place, so no, Arceus probably wouldn't do anything. Even if it's sentient, it's not like it would care about human customs and civilization.

Cinesra said:
The idea was that you wouldn't carry seven with you to begin with because it's such an engrained part of your culture/life/personality/everything. Breaking it would be something akin to raping and killing your paraplegic little sister, something you just DO NOT do. Plus I just meant trainers in the first place, so no, Arceus probably wouldn't do anything. Even if it's sentient, it's not like it would care about human customs and civilization.

I knew what you meant by it, I've actually wondered in the past why only six at a time, and how they know how many you have. One could always have an "empty" pokeball in their bag and officials would never know. Plus, I wanted to bring a bit of humour there

professorlight said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

But if some unlicensed trainer with more than 6 pokemon were to fight against a licensed trainer wouldn't it be unfair?

Yes, it would be unfair but in the abscense of a judge it would be up to the licensed trainer to just drop the battle when the other pulls out a 7th Pokémon! I think that in these cases and alike it's up to the trainer. If I recall, in the anime Misty had to battle that trio of brothers and they cheated by using three at the same time against one. In that case they were mean and so Misty had to stand her ground against them (I think that Ash and Brock joined the party) but if the unlicensed trainer was just a simple guy breaking the rules and not wanting to do any harm or violence, the trainer should just quit. It just like when linking battling in the games and the one that is losing just umplugs the cable or turns the power off: he loose by cheating and probably the other guy won't ever battle him again since is a cheater.
Team Rocket was already unfair when battling Asd and I think that they are not limited by the number limit of Pokémon one can carry...if James or Jessie had 6 Pokémon and were to catch the 7th I doubt that the Pkball would become locked.

Unless you're a rancher, professor, or something that calls for more than six pokémon, let's just go with only able to have six pokémon on your person at one time.

Edit: But don't let that limit you. Explain what you would do with any other pokémon after the initial six, such as their purpose for helping you excel in your career.

I would be Jaquii, the leader of the Dual Gym, along with my friend, Ever.
The gym would be a double battle gym.

My Pokemon~
Polywhirl
Machoke
Butterfree

Ever's Pokemon~
Rapidash
Leafeon
Swoobat

The reason I would be a gym leader is because ever since my very first Pokemon game, I wondered how gym leaders were gym leaders, and If there was any way to become one. So, If I was able to be one, I would definitely grasp the opportunity.

The Pokemon in this gym are chosen so trainers will need to use either many different Pokemon, or Pokemon who are nor weak or strong to the Pokemon in the gym. A fire type and water type at once. A fighting type and a grass type at once. And, a Bug and Flying type at one. Only meant for quite experienced trainers, the Dual Gym is the ultimate challenge.

Anyone up for the challenge? :)

Jaquii said:
I would be Jaquii, the leader of the Dual Gym, along with my friend, Ever.
The gym would be a double battle gym. The first double battle gym.

My Pokemon~
Polywhirl
Butterfree
Golbat

Ever's Pokemon~
Rapidash
Venomoth
Swoobat

Anyone up for the challenge? :)

What made you want to be a gym leader? How are the Pokémon you selected going to help you in your career? (I get the whole duo aspect of a double battle gym, but elaborate some more on it.)

Cinesra said:
Jaquii said:
The first double battle gym.
You mean Tate and Liza?
Herp derp. I never played gen 3, so I kinda forgot about them. I knew who they were right when I read the post, though.

Jaquii said:
Cinesra said:
You mean Tate and Liza?
Herp derp. I never played gen 3, so I kinda forgot about them. I knew who they were right when I read the post, though.

You've never played FR/LG/S/R/E?! Wow. you're missing out on quite a bit, bro. 3rd Gen is the best. (IMO)

I would be a Pokemon ranger. It seems like they'd get paid fairly, after all they're the Pokemon version of the Police, kind of.

I would be a Battling Clerk ♂. Those guys seem to be really enjoying life in the Pokemon World.

I'd educate so that I could work at Silph Co. :I

Back