Yellow border on EX cards?

Craigyboy88

ポケモン大好き
Hey guys!

Just bought this set of EX cards on eBay and after I bought them, I saw a few of them had yellow borders which I thought was strange for EX Pokémon. I know the first 3 on the top row are from Championship Decks so it's mainly the Dragonite ex δ, Kingdra ex δ, Flareon ex and Kyogre ex I'm interested in.

Are they from decks or is it just the camera/lighting/angle? The only picture I've got is the one from eBay so no higher quality. I managed to win them for £6 so it's not that big a deal anyway. Just curiosity:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/kgrhqznue63tf7ptubo1krb.jpg/

Thanks in advance people! =)

I don't think that they are from a World Championship deck, but they are definitely fake. There is no way that a camera angle could make the silver border turn yellow. I mean, the Salamence EX next to the Kingdra has a sparkly silver border, yet the Kingdra has a dull yellow border. It looks to me like the only real EXs that you are getting are Blissey, Raichu, Groudon and Salamence.

Got this from some guide on Google about how to tell the difference in ex cards.

You will occasionally find counterfeit pokemon cards on eBay. Whenever you are dealing with a collectable in demand good the issue comes up. The most common counterfeits use the yellow border and will loose the holographic effect. These are things all ex cards have with the exception of a few promotional cards (THEY SAY PROMO ON THEM).

Metalizard said:
They're definetely fake. Only the ex's from the POP sets can have yellow borders...

Groudon ex and Kyogre ex from the first set of Nintendo black star promos also had yellow borders for lack of any holofoil.

Vulpix Yolk said:
I don't think that they are from a World Championship deck, but they are definitely fake. There is no way that a camera angle could make the silver border turn yellow. I mean, the Salamence EX next to the Kingdra has a sparkly silver border, yet the Kingdra has a dull yellow border. It looks to me like the only real EXs that you are getting are Blissey, Raichu, Groudon and Salamence.

Yeah, I assumed as much. Spent a good hour looking through different sets/decks/promos to see if they were reprints or promos but nice to get it verified. Not really THAT bothered though cause I've still got 4 EXs for 6 quid. Reputable seller so I'm guessing they don't have a clue about the cards. If the condition is a bit crap, I might get in touch with the seller but not too fussed.

I'm surprised at all the fake cards that are blatently sold though. Those full shiny/glittery cards are just horrible!

DMYSYS said:
Groudon ex and Kyogre ex from the first set of Nintendo black star promos also had yellow borders for lack of any holofoil.

oh, yes, those 2... forgot about those...

It may have only been 6 bucks, but you should still report the seller as selling counterfeit cards. There are too many of these cards out there, and these sellers need to be taught a lesson.

Sometimes the sellers know just as little as the people who buy the fake cards from them, tbh. :/

Frost said:
Sometimes the sellers know just as little as the people who buy the fake cards from them, tbh. :/

That is an understatement. It is one thing not to understand what you are selling when you regularly sell Pokemon cards. Something different for the ones that have lists of everything else.

Yeah I mean, I've seen a lot of parents selling card lots for their children over the years who accidentally listed fakes because to the average parent who doesn't care much about Pokemon, today's fake cards look real. I've even a bought a couple of lots that had some fakes included but I didn't come down on the sellers in feedback and took the time to explain to them why the cards were fake to prevent their kids from buying more fake cards. Still got a funny picture of a "Grachomp" LV. X out of it... :p

Also, check out those Energy symbols and compare them. The fakes will be a lot darker and not really pop out of the card as the real ones do. Ugh. My friend went to the Philippines and got three boxes of fake cards. I hate this.

Cards from the south-east asia (except Japan) are mostly fake. When I was teaching the kids at my previous school I asked some of them where they got their counterfeits and they or their parents say that they bought them from for China or Thailand (most common answer).

These are probably fake and if they are not holo when they are supposed to be, it's a definite fake.

Just a wee update: all but the Groudon were fake. I knew as soon as I opened them. Got in touch with the seller and he was VERY understanding. Asked me how I knew and wanted to know how to spot fakes so he could try and prevent selling any more. Got a full refund plus the postage I paid sending them back so no harm done.

Think this was a genuine case of a parent really having no clue at all. Can't really blame him to be honest; my mum wouldn't know the difference between a Base Gastly and Gengar Prime.

Bullet said:
when you get them can you scan one of them into a larger picture?

Wish I had read this before I sent them back 'cause a few were VERY convincing and I wish I could've shown you guys. It's true though, today's fake do look almost real to the untrained eye.

Yeah thats what I was figuring, I was looking at these and you never really guess they were fake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QU9qr-AxvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56hJqVqsAg

Those fakes rank way up there over your everyday ordinary common card.

Back