XY5 'Gaia Volcano' and 'Tidal Storm' Leaking! [12/10]

NicoSpot said:
What does everyone think about the Kingdra with Alpha Growth? Slap on a Silver Bangle and you're getting KOs on all non-Megas (and Wailord EX). And it could easily pair with Kingdra PLF for some huge damage and late game energy recovery. Plus, new Kingdra has beautiful art.

I'm a huge fan of Kingdra so I'm hoping it will be at least semi-competitive.

Also, I feel like M Gardevoir EX instantly makes Aromatisse Tier 1. Assuming you're using 3 fairy energy to attack, you only need three more on the bench to hit 180 damage. And 1-3 more energy on the field let's you OHKO Megas.

I think Kingdra is going to be very good. It OHKO's Donphan and if you run 6 Water energy and 6 Electric and 2 letter you're good, i'm aware that 2 Professors Letter is a very weird amount but when we alpha growth you need to have a Water and a Lightning for it to be viable. Also 4 skyla and a 4-4 line of Kingdra so you can consistently attack for 150. I would also run 3 Muscle Band and 3 Silver Bangle. Maybe Manectric but not Mega Manectric cause that would make the deck clunky for no reason. I'll probably post a list tomorrow :D EDIT: Oh i just realized that Kingdra is a stage 2 i don't think it will be that good anymore :(

Got to love the new possibilities for the game with this set. First, you have the Ancient Traits, the most powerful of which at this time are Omega Barrier and Alpha Growth. The pluses for both are pretty clear, as follows:

Omega Barrier

- Great for countering Lysandre, Startling Megaphone, Enhanced Hammer & the like

- Makes for a devastating shield if used in conjunction with an ability-erasing effect

- Can be used to set up the field for a big play

Alpha Growth

- Allows you to potentially set up automatic KO's

- Makes for devastating hits out of nowhere

- Can be used to come back from a bad start, and pull further ahead when you're already ahead

There are ways to use both of these right now, though Omega Barrier is by far the more splashable of the two due to Rhyperior's ability; that said, Alpha Growth is going to be Water exclusive unless you count strategies in Aromatisse, Hydreigon and Electross decks. Moreover, Omega Barrier will likely be extraordinarily useful to the fighting type, as you can literally pull off a walling strategy with Groudon EX/Korrina/Healing Cards, forcing your opponent to do a full knockout or be delayed for many turns while you just set up to win. This actually includes the Grass type, even though Groudon EX and Primal Groudon EX are weak to it; the only good attacks that can actually stop the titan are from Genesect EX and the new Trevenant EX, though both require at least two turns of setup to do so, assuming that you aren't playing Team Flare tools which completely destroys the need for Weakness Policy in the matchup. Furthermore, Omega Barrier allows you to use special energy cards far more loosely, and will definitely allow for plenty of leeway on how to build the deck of your choosing.

Let's not forget to point out Garbodor builds yet, as Omega Barrier, Alpha Growth, and to an extent Multi Strike have great synergy with ability lock. Omega Barrier will further lock your opponent from doing anything at all to your field, Alpha Growth is always going to help you attach energy at critical moments, and Multi Strike will be allowed to do maximum damage. We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for Ancient Traits in the coming months.

As for other content in the set, we have the possible return of the Water type in a wide slew of cards, the most prominent being Swampert. Not only are you able to attach two energy a turn to it without effects, it can search your deck for any card and put it on top of your deck for free. using this tactic, you can set up for an Archie's Trump Card, allowing you access to many possibilities to overwhelm your opponent.

Can someone post a link with all the cards? I cant seen to find one. Also what you guys say would be the best cards in the set for fighing decks?

rauber said:
Can someone post a link with all the cards? I cant seen to find one. Also what you guys say would be the best cards in the set for fighing decks?

It's here on the front page of the site.

And the only Fighting type Pokémon in this set that I like is the Multi-Strike Medicham. It's Ancient Trait allows it to attack twice per turn! While it's main attack only does 30 damage for two F energy, when you take in account a Strong Energy, a Muscle Band, and a Fighting Stadium.... Medicham is dealing 90 damage x2 for the KO to all non-Mega EX's! But it's 90 HP leaves it pretty vulnerable.

I'll be wondering about the Ancient Trait that'll allow the Pokemon to attack twice. Is it possible to declare one attack then attack with different attack or does it have to attack the declared attack twice?

In any case, there are some things I should interject as well given the opinions on the set.

1) Most of the Balls will be usable in varying degrees. Repeat Ball is good to grab an extra basic in your deck like Spritzee in Fairy Box, Bronzor in Metal Links, etc. Dive Balls makes Seismitoad extra strong. The Supporters are very meh except for Professor Birch's Observation. I'd still take Shauna over a Flip Supporter. Guarenteed shuffle and draw 5 is better than a 50/50 shuffle and draw 7. The others require either one Pokemon KO'ed before playing it or having just the last card in hand. Hard but not certainly impossible.

2) All of the Hoenn starters are quite meh and requires cards from the earlier sets in B&W to help out. Swampert is probably the only one that's decent as the others are very meh.

3) Trevanant EX is underrated. With 3 Colourless cost, it can be very splashable in most decks. Seismitoad might not like this. Though, it would be better if it had Water Resistance.

4) Camerupt EX works well with Emboar and Blacksmith. All you need is just 4 Energy which is easy if you get Professor's Letter, Emboar, Superior Energy Retrieval and Blacksmith. Seismitoad will be a hazard for it.

5) Nidoqueen is a decent attacker, 30 for 1 energy and attacks twice. As I asked above, I'm assuming your declared attack gets enacted twice instead of swapping attacks for the second.

6) Medicham is interesting but given the second attack can only do 30, 50 with Strong Energy, 70 with the previous plus Muscle Band, 90 with the previous plus Fighting Stadium x 2 = dead EX. Of course, it is still hard to pull off.

7) Groudon/Kyogre. Good grief...that's all.

8) Both Megas are actually good. M Gardevoir is a godsend to all Fairy Box decks. M Aggron = one large wrecking ball. Plus works well with Outrage Pokemon.

9) Wailord EX LOL. Heavy much?

10) Silent Lab = Garbadour once it rotates out of format.

So the are any fighting additions in the groudon pack?! Also would be possible for a nidoking to appear on this set since nidoquen is coming? Last think there can be a good deck with toxicroak ex,nidoqueen/king and other pokes that combine forces?

Nope, not possible for Nidoking to be in this set, basically all cards have been revealed with the exception of maybe a few japanese promos that could end up in our English set.

Odds are good though that Nidoking will make an apperance in Emerald Break though.

thinks there might be a comeback for psychic, poison decks with this new sets? Also when emerald break comes and is leaked?

Well Japan doesn't even get Emerald Break until like mid-March, so there are no leaks that I know if and it'll be at least end of January/beginning of February before any info even likely starts coming out. We at least have Aqua/Magma crisis coming out at the end of January so we have spoilers from that coming.

daviduk2000 said:
Will we ever get a Zyguard card (is that his name? The third XY legendary)

My guess is that a Pokemon Z game will release sometime in 2015, with a Zygarde-themed set to accompany it.

After looking back at Mr Mime, he's at least cool. You can use it to take off a Spirit Link you don't need anymore, a Head Ringer that's troubling you, a Tool on your opponent's side that you don't want them to use, you can stop a Garbodor, lots of cool comboes.

Seriously, everyone. This is the best set in the entire anything. This is better than Noble Victories, Legendary Treasures, HGSS Triumphant, Rising Rivals, and Neo Genesis COMBINED.

I don't know, Flashfire is a very good set as it has tons of cards to please collectorsn(Charizard) and playable cards (Pyroar, Protecyion Cibe, and more)

Reggie McGigas said:
I don't know, Flashfire is a very good set as it has tons of cards to please collectorsn(Charizard) and playable cards (Pyroar, Protecyion Cibe, and more)

Flashfire is probably the most balanced set overall from XY. There are a lot of great cards in it, but all of the junk cards in this set aren't fun to use in the slightest. It isn't as bad as XY's junk, but it still is mediocre. It's also worth mentioning that Flashfire is the only XY set thus far that includes Not-Fully Evolved lines. Here is my recap of boring junk cards that aren't any fun to use in the XY sets so far...

XY

Ledian
Volbeat
Illumise
Simisage
Simisear
Corsola
Simipour
Electrode
Scolipede
Zoroark
Mr Mime
Dodrio

Flashfire

Roserade
Torkoal
Walrein
Floatzel
Avalugg
Magnezone-EX
Heliolisk
Weavile
Skuntank
Scrafty
Durant
Furfrou

Furious Fists

Leafeon
Raichu
Minun (Plusle can at least be a fun combo with Bronzong)
The Hitmons
Breloom
Scrafty
Clefable
Lickilicky
Slaking

Phantom Forces

Talonflame
Kingler
Alomomola
Galvantula
Mightyena
Skarmory
Dedenne
Diancie (depends on your play style. Not good at all, but sometimes fun)
Fearow
Diggersby

Primal Clash

Tangrowth
Standard Nidoqueen
Standard Excadrill
Linoone
Standard Swampert
Standard Whiscash
Both Gorebyss (unless a combo with Huntail)
Both Azumarill
Spinda

Back