Writing Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 25 - Now with a TL;DR!

RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 11

Chapter 12

The slight hum of an engine vibrates throughout the entirety of space, through your body, through your mind. Your eyes flutter, the lashes clinging to one another and then separating in despair. You observe nothing. Darkness, again, has invaded your vision. You try to stand up and hear the clang of metal; you are restrained. But how? You pull at your arms and find yourself cuffed against some sort of metal rod. The best at standing is an awkwardly bent position, one that you would rather not be in as opposed to just sitting. You're in some car or vehicle, but it couldn’t be a plane.

You pry your lips apart from each other, salivating them with your tongue as if the secretion was some sort of ingredient. Your mouth does not open. There is something covering your mouth. You think back to some of the stories you had heard up north, those about the victim being tied up and pointlessly shouting into the darkness. You decide to prove yourself smarter than those fictional characters and stay calm. You feel for whatever you can on the wall, but it is smooth. You breathe in deeply through your nose and exhale, though it is very shaky and your body is jerking and fidgeting. You are being kidnapped. Taken. What happened? You sit against that wall and, with your arms painfully up in the air, you wait for the vehicle to stop. You wait for some beacon of hope, though the light becomes dimmer and dimmer as time goes by. You feel yourself slipping from the grasp of the world. You failed Professor Rowan and barely got more than two or three entries in your dex. You failed Nikolas in not helping him escape, at least by your recollection. Most of all, though, you failed Piplup and Ralts. Where are they? What happened just a few hours ago?

After a long, silent ride, you find yourself humming something, some song that you know but cannot remember the lyrics. Why are you doing this? Passing the time? Calming your nerves? Trying to get the driver’s attention? You can’t see anything. You are literally humming into the darkness, the unknown. What if the driver doesn’t like humming? Do you care? You shake your head to remove the silly ideas from your mind. You think of Piplup, of all the fun you had with it. You think of Ralts, the Pokemon you haven’t even gotten to train yet. What kind of trainer are you? Actually, what kind of person are you?

Soon enough, the vehicle stops, probably for some fuel or whatever it takes. You don’t have the experience to understand what it needs. You push your body up against the wall and prepare your legs for possible kick reflexes, thinking that would be the best way to go out--fighting. But then, after some brief thoughts, you lower your legs and tuck them under your butt. Fighting will not help you in the long run. After all, look at what had happened with Nikolas. Obviously something went wrong.

The back door of the automobile creates some sort of metallic sound, probably of some latch opening, and then light floods in through a very narrow crack as the door is slowly swung open. The light blinds your eyes, causing your pupils to change sizes and a red flash go through your body. You grimace in pain and sling your head back behind your body. Soon, you are able to slowly stare out the back of the van and look out. You see rocks everywhere, sprinkled with small patches of snow here and there, along with the mountains in the distance. You’re on...some sort of trail? You suddenly try your best to hide once a figure comes from the side of the vehicle.

“Hello again, Mia. I’m sure you have a ton of questions right now. Don’t lash out at me and I will explain everything,” replies a voice--a familiar voice.

“Why do you have my tied up?” you ask.

The man heaves his body into the back of the vehicle and stares at you in the darker area so that the light does not burn your eyes. It’s...Z? The familiar figure is still in the same attire as last time, the loose button shirt and the red gym pants. You squint at him and start screaming out questions.

“How did I get here with you? Where’s Piplup? Where’s Nikolas?”

The man blinks once and swallows loudly. “You were easily defeated by a grunt’s Shellos, which had the ability Storm Drain that ended up defeating your Piplup because of its own Water-type moves.”

You look at him weirdly and he sighs.

“Never mind that. You were then captured. They were going to put you in the helicopter, but there wasn’t enough room for one more. They threw you and your Piplup in the back of a van and floored it. I followed your van in an attempt to save you for your own good. They didn’t seem as concerned about you as they were for your buddy, Nikolas, or whatever his name may’ve been. That dude’s probably a goner,” he admits.

“A goner. What does that even mean? If you kept me tied up in the back of this van, wouldn’t that make you my enemy as well? I would’ve been set free? Never mind all that--where’s Piplup?”

Again, he sighs and wipes his forehead. “We are at a high altitude at the moment, did you know that? The higher we go up these mountains, the colder it is going to be, too. Have you ever wondered why the Shining White City has never shriveled up from the cold?”

You shake your head and wonder how this man could possibly talk about the weather in a time like this. “I don’t care about this city. I care about Piplup. Where is my companion?”

The man closes his eyes for a second and opens them again. “He’s asleep in the passenger seat. Please calm down, or you’re going to wake him from his slumber. He was glad to see me, the stranger I was, and I explained the situation in the most basic way to my best abilities. Your bag is also with Piplup, acting as a pillow, as a matter of fact. Sweet penguin. Anyway, I saved you. I told you--I specifically told you--to stop focusing on the present. Saving Nikolas would have only gotten you captured or worse. You’re lucky I was watching the whole time. Think before you act or else you won’t last a second when my back is turned. Ever since you stepped in Sandalstraw City, you became a target. Go ahead and expect there to be a bullseye right on the back of your head now, missy, because you have entered the danger zone. Your mission is no longer for some Pokedex quest. Now you have to focus on surviving. You aren't a pedestrian. You're a threat.”

"Look, I can't think about the future!" you assert. "When I think about everyone, everything, those people I met at the village. Nikolas, Rex...I can't change a thing! I can only take life one day, one moment at a time."

"But as you do such, you watch the sands of time itself slip out of your fingers. I was once like you, a different man. This carving is a symbol of a man who has died, but yet I still have the time to mend his wrongs. I have time to pave the way for a new future, even though everything in the past has vanished among the winds. In the present, you have no time. How are you ever going to meet tranquility if all you do is dwell in what’s already happening?"

You look at him, the scar buried deep in his chest. “I want to see my Pokemon,” you tell him, and he nods. The two of you jump out of the back of the van and walk around its side. The vehicle is white and has a slogan reading “SWC: it’s all you need” written in the gold lettering of a fancy calligraphic style. You jump in the passenger seat and see that Piplup is indeed asleep. You exit the door and let it keep snoring. Z looks back up to you.

“I know you declined my offer before, but I think now is the right time for you to join me in my quest to defeat this city.”

You think back. Nikolas did actually think of some dangerous ideas of the Shining White City, and he must have done so often. Has the city actually done anything wrong? Was it all just Nikolas?

“Did they take him there? To the City?”

Z shakes his head. “Doubtful. They have created several jailed communities within the rock of this very mountain. It is said that there used to be a path within Mt. Coronet that connected several cities together, and another path leading to some strange set of ruins. However, the City has cancelled all public transportation through the area. It’s a likely area for harboring criminals. The City itself is outside the mountain, but the only way to get there is apparently through some inside passageway as well. The mountain is a mystery. I’m not sure how they manage police forces and political affairs outside of it.”

You think for a moment. If Nikolas isn't in the City and Z only wants to go straight there, should you even bother traveling with him or just go save Nikolas on your own? “How many people do you have in this resistance?”

“Approximately seventy five spread out through the whole Sinnoh region, though I have a select few that are very prepared and experienced--some working under the very nose of the White Lord himself. You would only benefit on the rest of our journey up the mountain. Many attempt to arrive there through the outskirts of the terrain, and while most have either died or retreated, we could have one heck of a journey.”

“Before I say anything, I need to know one thing: who are you?”

Z smiles, apparently waiting for a revisitation to this question the whole time. "They say, they say humans are different. We can reason and not react. We can have the power of choice; no matter the circumstance, we can choose. My real name is Riley. I used to be a powerful trainer years ago, but I stopped training. My Lucario became the trainer of the rest of my team while I set out on a future on my own. I left Iron Island to become an upcoming politician in Canalave City. I started a life for myself. I had a fiancee. I had my Pokemon. I had the strongest approval rating out of any politician in the Sinnoh Region. I was Canalave City’s biggest attraction. I practically placed the barrel of the gun straight to my temple and asked the White Lord to shoot. I became the easiest target. I had the life, but I do not know. I hope my answer will suffice. Now I need your answer. My choice now is to do everything in my power to bring this White Lord down. My choice now is to usurp his throne and use it in a democratic way; Sinnoh should be able to choose who the real leader should be. Our last president was assassinated, and the White Lord himself took over. My choice now, Mia, is to bring to light the injustices this organization has brought to the once-powerful region of the Pokemon world. What’s your choice?”

You feel an emptiness inside yourself. The story was touching, you admit. You had heard stories about an aura guardian named Riley, but could it really be the same man? This Riley was big and rough, while the man in the paintings was smooth and mentally at peace. Has the Shining White City actually caused this pain? You then remember the common saying that politicians are often liars. How can you even trust this man? He looks nothing like Riley, not the one you’re aware of, at least. Is it really worth trusting him for?

PB, you have been on this decision before, and look where it has gotten you. Alas, there are other viable options that may lead to an even better outcome. In the case of Z, are you going to…
A) Finally join Z on the trip to the Shining White City (go up the mountain’s exterior)
B) Tell him to wait for you at a desired location on the mountain so that you can save Nikolas first (go inside the mountain)
C) Have Z take you to his defense group before pursuing any sort of goal (going down the mountain temporarily)

You have until November 9th to vote! Good luck!

Let me also say that I really liked writing this chapter. I borrowed some quotes from Fancy in this, too!

RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 12

A. Our character we need all of the help we can get, and Z would be the best trainer and helper, if we are to save Nikolas.

I'll go with C on this one. The defense group seems like they could help with training for the harsh battles ahead.

We can't save Nikolas by ourselves, but I don't want to blindly take the word of Z/Riley either. I'm voting C as well and hope we get to meet some others in this group. If Mia gets to talk to others that are fighting against the city and finds out their reasons, it can confirm whether the man is truthful and she might be more motivated to stand against the city too. I really want to save Nikolas, but I don't think it's smart to rush that now.

Turtwig said:
Reality has not been the same since L_c__ a_d __n___a ent__ed __e D__t____o_ __r_d.’
"Lucas and Cynthia entered the Distortion World"
Turtwig said:
It is said that there used to be a path within Mt. Coronet that connected several cities together, and another path called Victory Road.
But Victory Road is on an island to the East. Was this changed for the story or is this a mistake?

I guess I'll go with C because trying to fight the Shining White Citizens with just a weak Piplup and an even weaker Ralts sounds like a bad idea to me.

Cinesra said:
But Victory Road is on an island to the East. Was this changed for the story or is this a mistake?

I don't know what I was thinking. It's been a while since Sinnoh :p I'll edit that out, but it doesn't really affect the chapter in any way.

I think I meant to mention the Spear Pillar and put that instead. Fixed.

Also, I want to mention that the due date for voting has been pushed back two days and we will keep this increment at a 5-day voting period in between chapters. We're hoping for more votes and more time to write so that it doesn't seemed rushed or too dependent on activity.

I'd rather that we go with C, because rushing headfirst into this mess can't turn out well. The defense group should prove to be a huge help to the two of them.

RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 13

Chapter 13

You gaze into the eyes of Riley, his eyes more soft and tender than his stature would dare suggest and through it you’re able to sense the sheer hatred and sorrow within this man which makes you dubious to join him. But within that hatred and sorrow lies the purpose and conviction that this man boasts with ambition that howls through his words and figurative speech; a true wordsmith as politicians often are.

“You still have doubts, don’t you?” Riley interrupts your train of thought as he notices the indecisive look that your face portrays whilst you think about your current choices.

“I admire your sense of purpose and your goal, but how am I supposed to believe that the future can be changed? How do I know that you have the power to change it?” Your thoughts abrupt aloud through the windy passages of the mountain and echo in the surroundings.

“How shall I prove it to you?” He asks you as you suddenly pause in your tracks and your thoughts lose steam; silence fills the air. “I don’t have the power to change the future on my own. There isn’t one hand that holds the future in its palm, but a multitude. That’s how my comrades and I have come so close—”

“Your resistance team!” You call out.

“If I showed you the forces we command, would that be sufficient evidence for you?” Riley inquired as to your thoughts, as if he was sure his evidence would be convincing. You nodded in return as he exchanged a smile.

“I have a base just below this mountain, if you follow me your doubts should be cleared posthaste.” Riley remarked with confident optimism; he seemed unwavering as he went back into the van, opened up the passenger seat door, and made room for Piplup to come toddling out of the car. It seemed unaware of its current surroundings, but it quite liked the cold and as its head swiveled curiously to see the vicinity and noticed its trainer. Its pupils grew wide and a sense of joy overcame it as it ran over to greet you once more.

As it came closer, you could feel a smile form upon your lips until the poor penguin creature fell face first after approaching you. Kneeling down, you consult the pokemon in worry as you offer your help to have it stand upright once more, but Piplup stands up on its own and puffs out its chest as a show of pride.

Riley, standing by the van, let out a small infectious chuckle and soon you join in among the laughter and Piplup’s bewilderment. The laughter ends as soon as it started as you and Riley exchange glances and you stand erect once more. It was time for proof; evidence that there is a future to fight for and not one already determined.

Riley took the lead in the trip as you and Piplup followed closely behind staring at the cities below and gazing at the daybreak sky itself which painted the landscape in an orange-like tint. Seeing the light was reinvigorating as Piplup merrily trotted around happy to be at your side.

On your brisk walk through the rocky mountain path, you and Riley finally approach a cave. “It’s just a walk through here and we’ll arrive there in no-time.” Riley mentioned as he walked into the shadow shrouded cave. You gazed into the cave as Piplup stared up at you, waiting for you to follow Riley. Hesitantly, you walked through the cave and into the darkness; you had a habit for encountering trouble in darkness.

“Mia?” You heard Riley’s voice.

“I’m here!” You called out to Riley, wherever he was.

“Don’t worry, this cave isn’t too dark. You just need to wait for your eyes to adjust.” Riley mentioned as you walked further in and gradually you were able to see the shaded shadowy areas of the cave that were protruding masses of darkness before; Riley himself came into view. Together, you progressed through the many cavernous chambers of the Mountain where the fluttering of bat-like creatures echoed as well as the footsteps of many other creatures hiding in the dark crevices of the caverns; somehow, they left you and Riley untouched in your travel through the cave.

“These creatures...” You murmur as you enter into yet another entrance to a tunnel within the mountain.

“They’re quite lively, but right now they’re more afraid of you than you are of them. The Shining White City’s brigades sometimes come here and take them away to build up their Pokemon Army, and test out their new contestants by destroying the other neighboring Pokemon in these caves. It gives off a certain distaste for humanity in general…” Riley remarked to break the silence of the walk.

“How close are we?” You asked, curious of how far down the base actually was.

“Oh, not too far! Actually, once we turn out of here, we should be there.” Riley mentioned as he walked further in.

Loud footsteps crashed against the floor of the cave as a husky Pokemon made its appearance known. Its body was muscular and the head that crowned it seemed reptilian, almost akin to a snake. Its red eyes glared at you as it opened its mouth and showed its four pointed teeth with a huff from its short snout signaling it was ready for a battle.

You looked at Piplup and then back at the strange creature as Riley stepped forward in front of you. “You’re not ready to handle a pokemon like this!”

You gritted your teeth, you were tired of feeling useless and being swung around like a piece of paper in the wind. You reached for your bag containing your Pokedex and Ralt’s Pokeball as you also glanced at Piplup who was staring at you long before with eyes gleaming with determination. You had yet another choice to make…

Pokebeach, yet another decision stands in front of you. Will you finally battle once again and with who? Will you let Riley handle the situation instead? Choices swirl all around you, why don’t you give one a whirl?

A) Let Riley confront the Pokemon and scan it with your Pokedex.
B) Battle the Pokemon head-on! (1- Use Piplup 2- Use Ralts)
C) Attempt to reason with the Pokemon and convince it that not all humans are there to hurt it and its home.
D) Flee from the battle and run straight toward the Base!

What do you guys think of the current chapter? Are you finally ready to battle once again, or will you be cautious? Well, the Voting Period ends Friday, November 14th, so feel free to think over your decision. You never know how exactly it'll count..

D. Riley stated that he left some of his Pokémon at iron island so we don't know if either Mia or Riley can handle it.

Highly doubt a snake Pokemon would care if someone cared about it. Ralts was a much different case.
I suggest A. Riley should have enough Pokemon and definitely has experience, and he can show you skills. Furthermore, you can help complete the Pokedex and help Riley battle in scanning it.

Chapter 14

“Mia, don’t be foolish!” Riley yelled at you, as if that would stop your decision; your hands reached for Ralts' lone pokeball in your purse’s pocket as you stared down the creature in front of you. Riley, acknowledging your determination, stood aside to let you battle the pokemon in front of you.

Without hesitation, you threw your pokeball and a flash illuminated the cave for a couple of seconds as Ralts awakened from its slumber; you smiled comfortably knowing that Ralts was still okay despite the troubling events that occurred to you and Piplup.

“A Ralts?” Riley murmured, genuinely surprised at the pokemon you had been keeping under wraps; however, the muscular monster before you was unfazed by your small pokemon as it grunted and stomped the ground below you, leaving echoing quakes among the shadowy battlefield.
You begin thinking of how to approach this creature, you had yet to battle with Ralts who was now patiently waiting for a command.

“Mia,” Riley called out to you, taking a little steam from your train of thought. “You have the advantage here. Machoke is a fighting type and Ralts is psychic. Use this to your advantage!” He yelled to you as your uneasiness cleared, you remembered that Professor Rowan had informed you about certain natures of pokemon, could that information possibly give you the upper edge in combat? You decided to put your faith in Riley’s advice, and try to keep a good distance between Ralts and Machoke, the latter pokemon boasted terrifying strength that could overpower Ralts at close-range.

“Try pushing it back with a direct attack!” You called out to Ralts as its red horns crowned atop its head began to emit a radiant blue aura and from it, a blast ushered from the horns and into the Machoke’s chest. The creature fell back from the blast and into a wall, it still seemed dazed from the attack.

“That was an attack called Confusion.” Riley noted, “If you can tell what your pokemon’s attacks are, you can better command them!” he advised in battle, it had seemed he had many years of experience that was revealed in his words of advice. Now knowing the attack, you resolved to follow up with it once more to keep the creature pinned to the wall.

“Ralts, use Confusion once again and keep Machoke away from you!” You commanded and Ralts obeyed with haste, pushing the pokemon back deeper into the wall with its telekinetic force. As it followed your commands, you noticed that the creature was weakening and a smile formed upon your lips around the same time as a grimace formed upon Ralts’. Ralts immediately stopped her telekinetic attack as Machoke was freed from her grasp, dazed, it looked up at the small pokemon that had caused it so much trouble, and begin a running sprint toward it.

“Dodge it!” You called out to Ralts; whatever had gotten into Ralts had stopped her from battling this creature, but she was able to dodge the attack just in time. You sighed in relief as you looked at Ralts who was safely away from Machoke, but gazing at you worriedly.

“Mia, move! You don’t have much time!” You heard Riley shout at you as you turned your head to look at Machoke, it was still running, and it was running toward you! Your legs were frozen in fear and without warning, Riley pushed you out of the way of the creature’s attack and took the full brunt of a destructive punch from the creature. Riley was sent flying back into a wall, where he lay stiffened.

Falling from Riley’s push, you landed on the floor as the muscular creature towered over you like a three-story building; its mouth opened revealing its fangs as its malicious intentions were made clear. Piplup slipped in front of you and the Pokemon; it refused to let its master get hurt! It was about to take its anger out on Piplup, you had only seconds to react!

“Piplup, freeze it in its place!” You called out as you noticed the creature’s legs about to twitch. Piplup looked down at Machoke’s feet and let out a flurry of frost which left the pokemon unable to move. You quickly ran over to Riley, he hadn’t moved from his position but he was breathing; it had seemed he was only incapacitated.

“Ralts!” You looked around the battlefield of the cave to see Ralts who was still over in its original spot; something was wrong, Ralts had a worried demeanor and stopped the battle right when she had the upper edge. A thought had suddenly occurred to you as the sound of shattering ice echoed through your ears; Machoke was freed. A decisive kick struck Piplup who was thrown onto the floor incapacitated much like Riley.

“Ralts!” You called out to the pokemon, who was now the only thing standing between you and the husky creature. You closed your eyes as the creature came closer and prepared to strike you as it did Riley and Piplup; all was dark as you awaited the blow that would end your journey – but instead, a beam of light pulsated through Machoke’s body leaving an impact that would render it unconscious.

Ralts was standing beside you, gazing up at you worriedly; you had now known why Ralts had stopped attacking. It had sensed the feelings of Machoke and how it was victimized by the people who had come into the caves, but somehow that feeling of doubt had been overcome by a feeling of worry. You gave Ralts a reassuring nod that lightened the expression on its face.

You quickly walked over to Riley and Piplup as you and Ralts would carry them out of the cave to administer to their wounds and help them wake up. Ralts carried Riley telekinetically while you carried Piplup in your arms, walking out of the cave and into the wide-open surroundings; from your side you could see a rusted and run-down building.

You walked over to the door and begin nervously knocking on it for someone to come help you or rather help the ones who had gotten hurt helping you. Ralts had gently put down Riley to rest its energy as it waited to get into a warm area and out of the shivering cold.

“Hello?” A voice called out through the creaky and dark door with an unwelcoming tone.

“Hello! I need help here! A man and pokemon I was travelling with are unconscious!” You call out desperately.

“You may want to find Pokemon Center instead, Miss.” The voice answered as if to shoo you away.

“I don’t have time to get to a Pokemon Center!” You declared adamantly.

“Look, Miss. I feel sorry about your situation, but I can’t just let you in without a reason!” He voiced back as you let out a heavy sigh.

You begin to walk away from the door, but Ralts stood in front of it angrily as its eyes squinted, its mouth pouted, and its red horns glowed. The door was soon ripped open from its position as the man behind it stood mouth agape observing what had just happened in front of him.

“H-hey! Now I know you’re up to no good.” He yelled as he grabbed a pokeball on his belt, ready to attack you.

“Enough, Buck. Just let us in.” Riley murmured softly, but loud enough for the boy to hear.

“What? Riley!? What happened?” The boy’s demeanor changed as he rushed to help Riley.

It had turned out the conversation was a misunderstanding and you were mistaken for a spy of the Shining White City. Buck had taken you to a part of the building where you were able to rest as Piplup and Riley were treated, Ralts joined you in your room as it wandered outside of its pokeball.

The room itself was quite mediocre compared to the living arrangements you had at Rex’s house, there was a perpetual dropping of water that leaked from the ceiling and broke through the silence. Most of the metallic walls were rusted and the doors were creaky just like the front and the mattress for the beds were uncomfortable to lay in. Overall, the place was a dump and coupled with the anxious thoughts that filled your mind, you couldn’t even ponder taking a nap to begin with!

But, Riley was right in that his rebellion group was formidable, inside the building was a large number of people that were shocked to see him injured and reacted the same way Buck did in your first encounter with him. Soon, things would calm down though, and they would give you a living space until everything was sorted out and they fixed their new “Open-door Policy” courtesy of the cranky Ralts that lay at your bedside.

You opened your Pokedex, if just to fiddle with the features to take your mind off of Piplup and Riley while you waited. You remembered what Riley had talked about at the start of the battle; something about type advantages. You opened up the Messenger App on the Pokedex, you could send Rowan a message about your progress... But what should you talk about?

Hello, Pokebeach! You’ve managed to get into this HQ that Riley was talking about, but there’s still some time to kill before you hear of any news regarding the recovery of Riley and Piplup. So why not send Professor Rowan a message? What you ask him could improve certain aspects of how you will battle in the future! Choose Wisely. :D

A) Send a message to Rowan about Type-Advantages. (Effectiveness and Match-ups)
B) Send a message to Rowan about Pokemon becoming stronger (Evolution).
C) Send a message to Rowan about increasing the variety of moves (Learning Moves, TMs, status effects, etc.)

The Voting Period will end on 11/21! Be sure to cast your votes before then, who knows how this could impact future chapters and battles!

A would be a good option, as stated above ^

It looks like everyone agrees on this choice. Just a little reminder that the Voting Period ends after tomorrow, so if you have any ideas or other choices you want to pick, be sure to get them in before then!

Back