Writing Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA - Chapter 25 - Now with a TL;DR!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
XsGuxkn.png

As a kid, did you ever read the Choose Your Own Adventure series of books? Or did you perhaps try to Give Yourself Goosebumps? Popularized in the '80s (original CYOA) and '90s (Goosebumps), these inventive books let their readers make choices throughout the series. Stuck in a scary situation in a haunted house, do you try to find a flashlight or simply run and hide in the closet? Do you choose the right door or the left? Such option-making in stories gave the readers a bit of control, and made re-reading even more fun! Although mostly relegated to nostalgia in the 21st century, there has been a recent revival of the CYOA type of storytelling in a number of ways, from the humourous promotional adventures written by the creators of Kingdom of Loathing, to the epic "Choosable-Path" retelling of Hamlet in Ryan North's To Be or Not To Be.

And now, it's PokéBeach's turn! Turtwig and I have worked up the concept for a full CYOA story for here in the Writer's Corner. However, rather than writing the entire thing in advance, we will be working with you, our readers, to make the decisions to propel the story forward. Not even we know exactly where it will go! :D

The process is simple. Turtwig and I (and more writers, too! Look at the bottom of this post if you're interested in joining in) will post a chapter of the story and end with a decision, typically in the form of a multiple choice. Anyone reading along is welcome to post and share which of the options they'd like to choose, and the option with the most support wins! You're welcome to discuss and debate the choices as well, if you choose. Please bold your final choices so they stand out. The story will then be updated with the next chapter based on the winning response, rinse, repeat.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Author Information

Current Authors:
Athena
Turtwig
Fancy
Vom

Potential Authors:

Interested in joining our illustrious writing team? We're accepting applications! Feel free to PM Fancy with a sample story (doesn't need to be CYOA-related), or Vom if you have any questions or concerns. Writers will be allowed to join in on the planning process and write full chapters for the story, but because of their inside information will not be allowed to take part in the "choosing" process of the story.

We have plenty of authors at this point in time, but we will update this post if we are looking for more!

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Winds of Time - PokéBeach CYOA

Prologue

In the region of Sinnoh, one young boy stands against oppression as he fights bravely against the evils of Team Galactic and its nihilistic leader. Together with the region’s Champion, he enters the Distortion World to confront the Galactic Boss and end his schemes once and for all. None of the three are ever seen or heard from again.

But back in the normal world, life does not quite go as normal. Small changes begin to appear around Mt. Coronet and the Sinnoh region, like glitches in a computer game. A lake is filled as if there were never water. A factory becomes a farm becomes a shopping mall in the blink of an eye. A boy’s family disappears as if they were never born. A statue in a city center is replaced with a flower that grows at remarkable speeds until it towers over all the buildings and then dissolves into ash that blows away on the wind.

A god tests his powers.

A new world is born.

Generations later, the Shining White City has become the pinnacle of life and achievement in the world. Ruled over by the White Lord, the elite remnants of humanity live lives of luxury within their crystal walls, cared for by Pokémon who cater to their every whim, never wanting for anything.

Those who live outside the City are less fortunate. The lands beyond the walls are a scoured wasteland devoid of life and hope. Most of humanity was destroyed in the creation of the City and the docile and trained Pokémon enslaved. Small communities have formed near natural bodies of water and sources of food, but without the Pokémon and technology that used to be their livelihoods, they are forced into subsistence, eking out a living however they can. Hordes of fierce, wild Pokémon prowl the hills and forests, competing with violent human gangs for victims and food.

It is in this desolate wasteland in this desperate hour that we meet our hope.

Eirik
Eirik is from a relatively large community near the riverbeds of the south. Although the rivers themselves are dry, his people build rafts and fish in the ocean, though the near-constant storms make such work difficult and life-threatening. Eirik was always physically strong and was known to be a good fisherman until a storm capsized his boat and he woke up dazed on the shore with a strange egg in his hands. While he recovered from his injuries, he took care of the egg and eventually the young Pokémon that hatched from it, though his traumatic experiences gave him a deep phobia of the seas and he was no longer able to fish. Since he could not contribute to the community any longer, he voluntarily left before he would become a burden on the them.

Nikolas
Nikolas is from a farming community to the west. The lands of the region are no longer particularly fertile, so everyone pitches in to help with planting and harvest to make sure that there is enough food for everyone. Well-liked by his peers, Nikolas is the friend of many and is quick to laugh and make jokes, though unfortunately quick-tempered as well. As a punishment for starting one too many fights, he is sent on a gathering expedition in the forest to berries and he comes across a strange egg. He and the hatched Pokémon become fast friends, though their antics soon get them in trouble when an argument with another worker becomes a fight that destroys half of one of the farmfields. Nikolas’s Pokémon is banished from the community so they leave together, setting out into the world.

Mia
Mia is from a very small community in the north. The ice and snow make life in the north difficult, though the bad weather also keeps away thugs and other predators, leaving the population free from many dangers. Mia, like many of her peers, spends much of her time hunting wild Pokémon for food and preparing her shelter from storms. One day, while stocking up for the winter, Mia found an egg left in a nest while out hunting. Initially wanting it to save for food, she was surprised when a Pokémon hatched from the egg! The Pokémon became her companion and left with her towards the south when unusually strong ice storms destroyed her home and forced her to flee.

For our opening, we thought it would be most fitting if you got to choose the type of character that we'll be following along with, at least for this part of the story. Would you prefer to take part in the story of Eirik, Nikolas, or Mia? Cast your votes!

Mia, because ice trainer is the nice trainer B]

also want to author-ize the story too

Mia does seem the most fun.
I don't think I feel like writing, I'll just take part o3o"

Great story!

I like all characters, but Nikolas seems to have the funnest character to me and an interesting backstory. I'll vote Nikolas!

Hey Drohn, make sure to bold that vote if you want it to count! :p

really liked the story!!

i'll vote for Nikolas

Why would anyone vote for the 2 blokes when Mia is obviously the best choice?
So yeah, I'm voting Mia. She's totally the hero we need.

I imagine Eirik living in that port village from Monster Hunter 3 but since there's no more of that I think I'll go Mia.

Cool. A thing. I like the name Nikolas.

I will go with Eirik. I look forward to seeing how this will turn out :)

Looking forward to seeing how the story develops. ^_^

I'm going to choose Mia (definitely not because of the type of region she is living in >.> <.<).

Nice, let's see how this turns out to be! :D

I'll go Mia.

Mia as I have a nice image of her in my mind and she seems the smartest, which I like.

It's good to be back on pokebeach!

EDIT: I swear I had 30 posts...

Good to see so much interest! Voting will be lasting until Friday, September 5th, so everyone should have plenty of time to read and vote, and recommend your friends as well!

It's surprising to me to see so many votes for Mia. Since I made the original character dossiers, I am obviously attached to all of them, but I thought people would be more likely to choose a male protagonist which is why I made two of them.

Well, don't feel bad. :p The two characters who aren't chosen as protagonists will still likely show up in the story at some point.

Athena said:
Good to see so much interest! Voting will be lasting until Friday, September 5th, so everyone should have plenty of time to read and vote, and recommend your friends as well!

It's surprising to me to see so many votes for Mia. Since I made the original character dossiers, I am obviously attached to all of them, but I thought people would be more likely to choose a male protagonist which is why I made two of them.

She's just got a good character if you compare it to the other two. i find Mia easier to picture in my head. i also like to be in a minority by instinct and mia's the only girl, so that appeals to me too.

btw, how long do you estimate each "Choose what to do next" section will last?

Athena said:
Well, don't feel bad. :p The two characters who aren't chosen as protagonists will still likely show up in the story at some point.

I did have a suspicion that this would happen :p

Back