Discussion Will Trevenant / Wally Replace Seismitoad?

NintendoAlian

Frontier Brain
Seismitoad has been dominating the format since Cities, and it's not slowing down. But, with the release of Roaring Skies, Wally came out and when paired with Trevenant, it creates a turn one Item lock, without attacking. This means even if you go first, you can still get the item lock. But, is it good enough to replace Seismitoad?

No. The primary advantage Toad has over WallyTrev is that Quaking Punch is an effect on the opposing player, and therefore cannot be removed unless the player leaves the game. Nevertheless, I think WallyTrev could be a very viable deck with similar disruption to Toad, and would need to be something to be thought about when making decks.

No. The primary advantage Toad has over WallyTrev is that Quaking Punch is an effect on the opposing player, and therefore cannot be removed unless the player leaves the game. Nevertheless, I think WallyTrev could be a very viable deck with similar disruption to Toad, and would need to be something to be thought about when making decks.
Except that this would be impossible to do, if the player only plays Phantumps when he/she has a Wally in hand.

The Trainer lock with Toad also lingers even if Toad is Lysandre'd out of the Active slot. Players are very much relieved when they can Lysandre out the Trevenant for something else, and drop their Trainers on the table and get something done. With Toad, it's not that easy. You have to kill the thing, which requires not getting Hammer'd turn after turn and overcoming Status Conditions.

And then after you take one down, enjoy the second Toad on the Bench ready to go. It's a frustrating process.

I hate Toad.

The Trainer lock with Toad also lingers even if Toad is Lysandre'd out of the Active slot. Players are very much relieved when they can Lysandre out the Trevenant for something else, and drop their Trainers on the table and get something done. With Toad, it's not that easy. You have to kill the thing, which requires not getting Hammer'd turn after turn and overcoming Status Conditions.

And then after you take one down, enjoy the second Toad on the Bench ready to go. It's a frustrating process.

I hate Toad.
I made a Trevenant/Toad deck. I might give you the list one day but it's frustrating to play against. One thing I've noticed is people can Lysandre but if they do, they can only target a Slurpuff or in many cases, another Trevenant. The army of trees baby!!!

The T1 Item lock is worth it because it slows down decks like Speedquaza who will rely on so many Acro Bikes, Spirit Links and other shenanigans on T1 otherwise they suffer a huge speed loss.

I made a Trevenant/Toad deck.
Personally, that sounds like a bit of a clunky deck. What's the point in running 2 cards for the same effect? Besides, Trevenant will never be more useful than Toad in that kind of build. Just use Gengar-EX/Trevenant if you want to try something like that since it works much better.

Personally, that sounds like a bit of a clunky deck. What's the point in running 2 cards for the same effect? Besides, Trevenant will never be more useful than Toad in that kind of build. Just use Gengar-EX/Trevenant if you want to try something like that since it works much better.

There may be some merit to the strategy; I think a big part of it would be how many Trevenant are being run; it seems to mostly be for the first turn lock, so that Seismitoad-EX can step in and Quaking Punch afterwards.

I've been trying this online and it is amazing. I consistently get up a T1 Trevenant (4 acro bikes, 4 shaymin EX, 4 trainer's mail) and its very aggravating for the opponent. In addition, they only take 1 prize for a KO. I'm at a 30-10 record on the deck atm. It mainly loses to decks that run a lot of lysandre or Ninetails/Genesect ability cards. If they get a turn up of items it really sets you back, just like in Toad. It lacks damage wise a bit, but because your opponent is without items for most of the game you should be fine.

I build a trevenant wally deck too. Trevenant appears T1, with the help of Jirachi EX or just wally. I run 4 copies, 4 trainers mail, to draw the card in my first turn. A lot of decks were defeated (colorless Ray too) cause the item lock in first turn is very overwhelming. The oponent cant search for any jirachi or shaymin EX to accelerate his game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back