Will there be ex's and *'s in the D/P set?

ShiningMew749

Aspiring Trainer
do you think there will still be ex cards and * (star) cards in the new d/p set?
i hope so cause it would be cool to open a pack and get aruseus* or parukia ex! :p

I hope so, but they don't need go over board with Shinou ex Pokemon. @_@ I'd really like tosee some *'s of the legendaries and new starters, that'd be awesome!

I really hope that Pokémon-ex are discontinued:

-They take less time and resources to power up, making them difficult to fight against.
-They can earn more than 2 prizes.

IMO, they are too broken for the metagame; in our previous format before the rotation, the metagame was dominated by Pokémon-ex. Only 2 Archetype decks were popular around the time of Worlds that didn't play Pokémon-ex:

LunaRock
RaiEggs

as opposed to:

Lugia/Blastoise/Steelix
DragTrode
T2 Arcanine
MewTric
Mynx
Dustox-ex

The game has degenerated into Pokémon-ex vs. Pokémon-ex. If they weren't around, I feel that the game would be much more balanced.

I still think Shining Pokémon should remain. They have intriguing game mechanics that make the game more interesting when they are played.

Lol.. get your facts straight.
Dragtrode has no ex's, it is a deck using Dark Dragonite and Dark Electrode.

T2 Arcaine, Mynx and Dustox-ex weren't even close to dominating. Those decks barely had any impact on the metagame.

And you also convienently left out other decks that had an impact on the metagame that didn't run ex's
Rock Lock
Metanite
Queendom
Mercury
Those decks and even Shedstall had more impact on the metagame than those 3 ex decks mentioned above.

It's already like 7 non ex decks to 2 ex decks. Wow, ex's are soo broken

RE:  Will there be ex's and *'s in the D/P set?

higumaotoshi said:
Get YOUR facts straight.  Don't be n00bish.  Dragtrode has Rocket's Sneasal EX x 3-4.  I think that makes Dragtrode have EX's.

Oh and Mercury sux in the hardest country in the world btw.  Only in Australia and several other countries where it's delta++ is it ever even used.  I think it had about 4 people running it in Worlds.  Yeah what a huge blowout.  It's never even won a tournament that I know of in the US.

But let's get back on topic. No there will not be EX's in the next set. I'm 99% sure.

Arcanine out.

I believe that ex's will be shunned and the new D/P pok'emon with over 120 HP will take the lead, especially with their new weakness rule, and cheap efficient attacks.

*'s may be in the set, but I don't know...

Arcanine 274 said:
Oh and Mercury sux in the hardest country in the world btw. Only in Australia and several other countries where it's delta++ is it ever even used. I think it had about 4 people running it in Worlds. Yeah what a huge blowout. It's never even won a tournament that I know of in the US.
Australia isn't delta++, it never has been. There were a couple of delta decks at our nationals but there would have been at everyone's, including Metanite which we had 2 of. The only reason Mercury is seen here is because the guy who created Mercury is an Australian player, and he plays it all the time.

Anyway, I agree completely with Doc. Ex's are ruining the metagame. They were alright at 1st but then started to get ridiculous beyond belief. I really hope Nintendo don't bring back Ex's for D/P. I see D/P as being a completely new game altogether and bringing back Ex's will only make it worse. The game has become boring with the same Ex vs Ex archetypes and it needs a fresh start or it will simply become even more lame.

RE:    Will there be ex's and *'s in the D/P set?

Abhorsen said:
Arcanine 274 said:
Oh and Mercury sux in the hardest country in the world btw.  Only in Australia and several other countries where it's delta++ is it ever even used.  I think it had about 4 people running it in Worlds.  Yeah what a huge blowout.  It's never even won a tournament that I know of in the US.
Australia isn't delta++, it never has been. There were a couple of delta decks at our nationals but there would have been at everyone's, including Metanite which we had 2 of. The only reason Mercury is seen here is because the guy who created Mercury is an Australian player, and he plays it all the time.
Since you're from Australia I'll take your word from it. It is just that on the 'gym everything that is ever talked about that is played in Australia, is delta, so yeah.

But I do agree with the fact that EX's are taking over the metagame to A CERTAIN EXTENT, but I still will always like them.

Arcanine out.

I think it would be better for everyone,players and collecters alike if they limit the amount of exes in every set.Maybe only 4 per set.

psyblazer_ex said:
I think it would be better for everyone,players and collecters alike if they limit the amount of exes in every set.Maybe only 4 per set.
That still doesn't solve anything. It only takes 1 or 2 Ex's out of an entire set to destroy the metagame. There are far too many decks based around Ex's and because they're everywhere the game gets extremely boring. Look at Worlds this year: How many winning decks were there that didn't include an Ex?

I see a few reasons why people want Ex's to stay:
1. People can only win with cards/decks that everyone else plays (archetype/netdeckers)
2. Value. Ex's are decent trading items.
3. Collection. People are like Murkrows... they are instantly attracted to shiny objects, especially ones with a shiny border.
4. Due to being overpowered people think the game will be lame with nothing that's 'broken'.

well, i bet u like the ex's holo right? the silver colored border is juz great to look at, especially when ur boring

DocRobot_K-176 said:

-They take less time and resources to power up, making them difficult to fight against.

Indeed it does, but you still have to look deeper into the EX Cards. Well, it DOES give some creativity to the Players, especially the younger children. Plus, it gives a lot of choices to the Players in deciding what deck to play. They CAN indeed play these EX Cards but have to find out Weak Spots such as Double Weaknesses and additional Prizes. Therefore, the answer for his question is really stuck in the middle for me. It is great to have EXs in your Deck, but it raises the disadvantages and Weaknesses. But on the other hand, it gives a bit of unfairness to the poorer, younger and un-experienced players.

DocRobot_K-176 said:
IMO, they are too broken for the metagame; in our previous format before the rotation, the metagame was dominated by Pokémon-ex. Only 2 Archetype decks were popular around the time of Worlds that didn't play Pokémon-ex:

LunaRock
RaiEggs

Well, in addition to the non-EX Archetypes, there are quite a few more actually. Meta-nite, Fly-mence, Fly-Zard, Mercury (Without Scizor EX) and many, many more.

DocRobot_K-176 said:
as opposed to:

Lugia/Blastoise/Steelix
DragTrode
T2 Arcanine
MewTric
Mynx
Dustox-ex

The game has degenerated into Pokémon-ex vs. Pokémon-ex.  If they weren't around, I feel that the game would be much more balanced.

I still think Shining Pokémon should remain.  They have intriguing game mechanics that make the game more interesting when they are played.

I would have to agree with you. There is totally NO Balance between Decks with EX and without EX. Plus, it does raise the Money going to Nintendo. Boxes and Boxes of Booster Boxes are bought for almost every Set released plus a bit more "Tax" gets to Nintendo for the Pre-release. So, I think they should sta with the EX, but giving a little bit more HP than usual with less broken attacks, Poke-Powers and Poke-Bodies along with less amounts of EX Pokemon Released for each set.

~ ArmaldoEX

EX's probably won't stay, seeing that Naetle's 2nd Stage has 140 HP (non-EX). Imagine the EX version of this monster - 200 + HP? And I agree with what Doc. said, EX's are ruining the metagame. *'s will probably stay, and I predict they will return with "Shining" in their names.

higumaotoshi said:

T2 Arcaine, Mynx and Dustox-ex weren't even close to dominating. Those decks barely had any impact on the metagame.

And you also convienently left out other decks that had an impact on the metagame that didn't run ex's
Rock Lock
Metanite
Queendom
Mercury
Those decks and even Shedstall had more impact on the metagame than those 3 ex decks mentioned above.

To some credit, I did accidentally overlook a few decks (Metanite and Queendom in particular; it didn't seem RockLock was played very much at Worlds, same with Mercury). And DragTrode does run Pokémon-ex. Rocket's Sneasel-ex is the biggest hitter in the deck; Drag Off for 50 or Dark Ring for 130 damage is nothing to laugh at.

T2 Arcanine was played a lot. Most decks used Lunatone to find a Swoop!, and then evolve T2 to attack.

Regardless, the point I am trying to make remains the same. Pokémon-ex are generally much too unbalanced. Certainly, decks like LBS, ZapTurnDos, DragTrode, ScizorGross, RAMBO, and BAR have all received immense play, and overpowered other decks of its time. Large amounts of damage for low energies costs is very unbalanced, since once your main hitter is KOed, you have to stall until you get another attacker built up, often resulting in falling behind by several prizes. This is especially the case when fighting against a deck like LBS, no matter who you power up next, they kill it, and you are essentially "locked".

DocRobot_K-176 said:

IMO, they are too broken for the metagame; in our previous format before the rotation, the metagame was dominated by Pokémon-ex.  Only 2 Archetype decks were popular around the time of Worlds that didn't play Pokémon-ex:

LunaRock
RaiEggs

as opposed to:

Lugia/Blastoise/Steelix
DragTrode
T2 Arcanine
MewTric
Mynx
Dustox-ex

The game has degenerated into Pokémon-ex vs. Pokémon-ex.  If they weren't around, I feel that the game would be much more balanced.

I still think Shining Pokémon should remain.  They have intriguing game mechanics that make the game more interesting when they are played.
I, concedingly, have to agree... somewhat because I think ex's are a god send. They give this game a certain edge that was neve seen before: strong cards that were better than the the weakling's of pre Ruby/Saphire. Sure they can be over-powered, but that's why there's the two prize rule!! I hope ex's stay for ever just as long LBS doesn't come back.

I would also never've had T-tar ex to play with;)

I too am an Australian player (i've had to take a break due to HSC Exams:() and when I last played Ex's were almost unbeatable, the only decks that didn't use them were Queendom and anyone who didn't have one.

I despise Ex's and hope they do not return. However looking at the new game, D/P-on looks to be changing the game completely.

DocRobot_K-176 said:
higumaotoshi said:

Rock Lock
Metanite
Queendom
Mercury

To some credit, I did accidentally overlook a few decks (Metanite and Queendom in particular; it didn't seem RockLock was played very much at Worlds, same with Mercury). And DragTrode does run Pokémon-ex. Rocket's Sneasel-ex is the biggest hitter in the deck; Drag Off for 50 or Dark Ring for 130 damage is nothing to laugh at.

T2 Arcanine was played a lot. Most decks used Lunatone to find a Swoop!, and then evolve T2 to attack.

Regardless, the point I am trying to make remains the same. Pokémon-ex are generally much too unbalanced. Certainly, decks like LBS, ZapTurnDos, DragTrode, ScizorGross, RAMBO, and BAR have all received immense play, and overpowered other decks of its time. Large amounts of damage for low energies costs is very unbalanced, since once your main hitter is KOed, you have to stall until you get another attacker built up, often resulting in falling behind by several prizes. This is especially the case when fighting against a deck like LBS, no matter who you power up next, they kill it, and you are essentially "locked".

Yeah sorry about that I forgot about the Sneasel XD
but seriously, ex's aren't that broken, last year was the first year that Worlds was won by an ex deck. Magma in 04 and Queendom in 05 beat all the ex decks in the format as well as Raieggs winning nats UNDEFEATED.

Back