Will the New Format Revolve Around Pokémon Catcher?

What is your opinion on the realese of Pokemon Catcher?

• Total voters
Ty W said:
Keep in mind that DP-on also had the threat of vilegar, while trainer lock with catcher will not be easy to get at all. It was easy to play around warp point by just having something else to bring up, but you have to limit what you put out the entire game with catcher, which is rather difficult.
What Ty meant is that when Warp Point was around, the answer was playing pointless Pokemon. Catcher is quite interesting in that early game, stage 2 decks need to play heavy basics on bench, but those basics are free prizes late game. In a way, Catcher dictates how you play your Collector and your bench size. Historically, anything that limits bench size has been decent to amazing depending on what it is. Dusknoir DP? Amazing card. Garchomp and Luxray basically prevented bench sitters from getting to powerful.

Catcher will certainly make certain decks more powerful than they should be. Even so, I'm still going to hold to my previous statement (elsewhere) that Junk Arm is currently the best card in the format. Catcher merely makes Junk Arm even better. Catcher will make Stage 2 decks have to play heavier stage 2 lines (4-2-3 Magnezone for example). I can't say I like this change, but we'll have to deal with it, won't we? Stage 1s will be VERY good, but once again, we'll have to deal. What's sad is that this card obsoletes two cards that we already had (reversal and circulator). I dislike cards that are strictly better than other ones... Circulator and Reversal had their points.

Storm_Front said:
I don't see how it would be a bad card for this format provided they made it a supporter.

Ya we hoped that Catcher would be a supporter too...and what happened? And that wouldn't change to much. Just one of those T1, get your Catcher and then have a Junk Arm on hand and you have 2 prizes right there. That sounds totally fair >_>

Yeah, they need to weaken Catchers powers, maybe make it so you need to flip a coin or something...

Also I am glad to see that the TCG sections are getting more sophisticated. Thanks Zero

Having you flip a coin would make Catcher the same thing as Reversal, so it would just be a reprint.

@Zero: I think you meant Junk Arm was the best Trainer in the format. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's a little weird that a Trainer is the best card in the format.

Loving how this conversation went from Catcher to Catcher/Computer Search/Junk Arm.

Anyway, I agree with Zero. I think that Catcher does make certain cards obsolete, and Pokemon Circulator did have its advatages, with a forced switch. Like I said, the max amount of Catchers you can use is 8. Maybe some decks won't need to run Catcher, but I highly doubt anyone won't.

Computer Search isn't coming back. Not as a Trainer, at least.

The best counter to Catcher is a deck, just one deck, that blocks it. Either through Trainer lock or something that makes Catcher unusable in some way.

Yoshidude10 said:
Having you flip a coin would make Catcher the same thing as Reversal, so it would just be a reprint.

Anyway, I agree with Zero. I think that Catcher does make certain cards obsolete, and Pokemon Circulator did have its advatages, with a forced switch. Like I said, the max amount of Catchers you can use is 8. Maybe some decks won't need to run Catcher, but I highly doubt anyone won't.

Any Vileplume deck wouldn't.

A coin flip to Catcher would just be reversal. There's no point in that. I think Catcher is fine.

Yoshidude10 said:
I think you meant Junk Arm was the best Trainer in the format. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's a little weird that a Trainer is the best card in the format.

Isn't the best card in the format usually a Trainer or Supporter? What else is it going to be? Every deck runs four Pokemon Collector, not every deck runs four Yanmega Prime. Junk Arm is a boss, I have often said that it is the card of the format, I'd have to agree with Zero here, either Junk Arm or Collector is the card of the format. Catcher will be excellent with Junk Arm.

Also, Catcher being flipsy was suppose to be a joke, I'm not as much of an idiot of this entire forum seems to think I am.

Sure, Ty W, but almost all run three. And most decks do play Pokemon Collector. And honestly, for most decks out there, someone who doesn't run Pokemon Collector should really reconsider their list, as it would be foolish not to run Pokemon Collector. What deck, truly, doesn't need basics?

As for Pokemon Catcher, it really won't have that much of an impact on the meta. Switch, much? Dodrio, anyone? Can anyone say, "Vileplume" (Under the correct circumstances, like a deck that it can actually be used in) Sure, it makes for an easy K.O. now and then, but it really shouldn't be dominating a match.

Spoink! said:
I completely agree with this. I'm going to be playing BearPlume as soon as Emerging Powers is released.

BearPlume has it's own problems as well, it loses against decks that run mostly free retreat Pokemon like Yanmega Prime and Mew Prime and also loses against anything running a Dodrio tech for Retreat Aid. Sure you Trainer Lock them with Vileplume but they can retreat out of Sheer Cold very easily and still attack with something like Scizor Prime.

Storm_Front said:
This is what will cause Yanmega to see just as much or even more play as we see right now.

No kidding, and If you don't establish a Plume lock as early as possible any damage you deal to Yanmega Prime can get healed to full with Max Potion and since it doesn't need energies to use it's attacks as long as the user's hand size matches with the opponents it's quite a menace and If you get Plume locked Blissey Prime can fill in for Max Potion.

Decmaster said:
Sure, Ty W, but almost all run three. And most decks do play Pokemon Collector. And honestly, for most decks out there, someone who doesn't run Pokemon Collector should really reconsider their list, as it would be foolish not to run Pokemon Collector. What deck, truly, doesn't need basics?

As for Pokemon Catcher, it really won't have that much of an impact on the meta. Switch, much? Dodrio, anyone? Can anyone say, "Vileplume" (Under the correct circumstances, like a deck that it can actually be used in) Sure, it makes for an easy K.O. now and then, but it really shouldn't be dominating a match.

Eeeeehhhhh not all decks need it. If you are playing something like Stage 1's then ya speed. Things like Reshiboar don't need it. They have useless Cleffa starters to start them up. Unless you REALLY want speed it's not that needed.

Dark Void said:
Who really wouldn't want speed?

I guess I should say a speed deck such as Stage 1's or Cin____ or Yanmega...then it's required but if you have your own draw power (Magnezone, Ninetails) then you don't really need Collector in the deck.

I come back and there are 4 pages!

Actual on topic post:

Storm_Front said:
Spoink! said:
I completely agree with this. I'm going to be playing BearPlume as soon as Emerging Powers is released.

This is what will cause Yanmega to see just as much or even more play as we see right now.

Why will Beartic fall to Yanmega? If I stop Catcher with Vileplume, I'm also stopping Judge. Beartic isn't weak to {G}. What am I not seeing?

Spoink! said:
I come back and there are 4 pages!

Actual on topic post:

Why will Beartic fall to Yanmega? If I stop Catcher with Vileplume, I'm also stopping Judge. Beartic isn't weak to {G}. What am I not seeing?

Lolwut? No your not. Judge is a supporter...not a trainer/goods. Yanmega can snipe out the Vileplume but even then it would take a while. also Yanmega 2HKO's Beartic but ya I don't see the auto loss.

Playing BS-TR (Team Rocket...not Triumphant) you really see how Catcher impacts the game. Even when you are doing 40 for 3 energy it's still devastating...not to mention in this format where you can do 120 consistently each turn. Go ahead...pull up your RS and play with GoW. It adds no skill...you just draw into a Catcher and then get a prize...that isn't skill xD

^Or you could keep the Catcher in-hand until it becomes extremely useful. Catcher can be a test of skill at some points in the game.

Why hold onto it when they could play a Judge? Or why hold onto it when you can pull up some 50-80 HP tech that you can OHKO? Or why hold onto it when you could pull up something with 4 retreat and you can set up somewhat? Or why hold onto it when you can just get it from the discard with JA next turn...I don't see why holding onto a Catcher helps :p

Back