Will the New Format Revolve Around Pokémon Catcher?

What is your opinion on the realese of Pokemon Catcher?

• Total voters
Actually, there is Teddiursa, although that is only a 50% chance. But you can't guarentee drawing into a catcher turn 1. It will be important and some stuff like Emboar will fall and die (well, Emboar is already inferior to typhlosion imo, but this will make it worse) but most people are expecting it to have more of an effect than it will.

Teddursa really can't get you the lock though. You'd have to count on heads for 1-3 turns while you set up.

Tyraniking said:
Wait, but Reversal is amazing in this format. It wins games most of the time.

Catcher is going to at least put more strategy and skill into play. Because, you know, you only have 4 Catchers and maybe some Junk Arm to reuse it per game, you need to time it right.

As I see it, with Catcher, Yanmega Prime will be BDIF. You're running Judge to make sure they can't recover from whatever you KO with catcher, disrupt their hand, and use it for Yanmega to attack.

....Meaning...if you think it's to flippy then don't run it

The format is going back to "Oh I'm set up T2...I win. Catcher. Catcher. Catcher. Catcher. Junk arm. Catcher. Junk arm. Catcher." Ya....sounds like a blast...

Some people think Catcher is going to be better than it is because you can drag up Pokemon all the time, but in reality you won't draw into Catcher that often. Try playing unlimited with Gust of Wind (Catcher). Gust of Wind actually made things better for unlimited, as you could get around your autolosses with it, and come back from behind easily.

amisheskimoninja said:
For all the people who think catcher won't destroy the game because vilepulme will save us, have no idea. First it takes at least two turns to get a vileplume, which allows them to catcher it. Second, yanmega can snipe oddishes easily. Thirdly, there isn't anything like spiritomb or SF Ghastly in the current format, which means you can't trainer lock T1. All of these reasons make vileplume unusable or ineffective.

That's why you get 2-3 Oddish on the bench T1 to ensure you get your Trainer Lock with Vileplume on T2. If you play just one on the bench that makes it easy for them to Catcher it and donk it. Also If they have Catcher in hand and you don't have an Oddish out T1 to Rare Candy on T2 you risk losing the game unless you Collector, Communication, and/or Rare Candy on T3.

Vileplume did manage to appear in a MewBox variant that made the Top 16 at US Nationals, Catcher could change all that but I still believe that Vileplume is playable as long as you get out multiple Oddish, Sunflora's Sunshine Grace might help with the speed to get Vileplume out but then again it's just wasted tech space cause that might distract them to donk Sunflora with Catcher instead of Oddish.

Tyraniking said:
Some people think Catcher is going to be better than it is because you can drag up Pokemon all the time, but in reality you won't draw into Catcher that often. Try playing unlimited with Gust of Wind (Catcher). Gust of Wind actually made things better for unlimited, as you could get around your autolosses with it, and come back from behind easily.

....I can't get rid of the dang things in unlimited. And with all the draw power/hand refresh in this format (PONT, Magnezone, Juniper, what ever floats thoust boat.) it won't be to hard to whip out a Catcher right when you need it.

Tyraniking said:

In reality, I play three reversals in my deck. they appear during my first few turns 60% of them time at least

Card Slinger J said:
That's why you get 2-3 Oddish on the bench T1 to ensure you get your Trainer Lock with Vileplume on T2. If you play just one on the bench that makes it easy for them to Catcher it and donk it. Also If they have Catcher in hand and you don't have an Oddish out T1 to Rare Candy on T2 you risk losing the game unless you Collector, Communication, and/or Rare Candy on T3.

Vileplume did manage to appear in a MewBox variant that made the Top 16 at US Nationals, Catcher could change all that but I still believe that Vileplume is playable as long as you get out multiple Oddish, Sunflora's Sunshine Grace might help with the speed to get Vileplume out but then again it's just wasted tech space cause that might distract them to donk Sunflora with Catcher instead of Oddish.

I completely agree with this. I'm going to be playing BearPlume as soon as Emerging Powers is released.

Card Slinger J said:

lol....T1? I guess collector but then the ones that actually live just take up bench space. "Then I will play a basic....wait...5?! DUMB ODDISH!!"

Catcher is gonna make the tiers clearly divided...I have to give it that >_>

Spoink! said:
I completely agree with this. I'm going to be playing BearPlume as soon as Emerging Powers is released.

This is what will cause Yanmega to see just as much or even more play as we see right now.

Ty W said:
Gust of wind didn't have junk arm though.
Erm o'rly? Try researching first before claiming such things.

74-item-finder.jpg

My bad, I forgot about those.

Catcher will still take the skill out of the game, I'm not sure why people think that it will add skill. Sure it takes away some flips, but games will go way too fast and will have less strategy.

Ty W said:
Catcher will still take the skill out of the game, I'm not sure why people think that it will add skill. Sure it takes away some flips, but games will go way too fast and will have less strategy.
Clearly, you have not experienced the madness of DP-on. Warp Point was broken then.

I personally welcome Catcher. It will indeed be game breaking, but there's nothing to worry about. Just because a bench tech can now get dragged out and shot down, that technically slows the game down. It would be an interesting battle, seeing who can target the crucial pokemon first. Deck building will have to take the trainer into mind and using Catcher requires decisions.

Computer Search BAD?
Some people really don't know their classics. Computer Search as a Trainer card was AMAZING. Heck, if it was reprinted as a Trainer it would be my personal favourite staple in every deck.
4 Bill, 4 Prof. Oak, 4 Computer Search, and only THEN would you start designing your deck. /goodolddays

Zyflair, Warp point is not even comparable to catcher. You don't get to choose what your opponent brings up with warp point. With that logic, you could say that pokemon circulator is completely broken. And btw, that last statement implied that I just started playing. Read my sig.

Last statement implied nothing. I don't attack how well someone plays. Just ideas. I was saying that DP-on was a quick format, and that Catcher will clearly not speed the game up to that level.

Also, Warp Point effect for effect is inferior to Catcher, but the disturbance effect it provided in the DP-on format definitely caused game-breaking moments. If Catcher was in that format as well, combined with the ridiculous tempo, games could get one-sided fast.

Keep in mind that DP-on also had the threat of vilegar, while trainer lock with catcher will not be easy to get at all. It was easy to play around warp point by just having something else to bring up, but you have to limit what you put out the entire game with catcher, which is rather difficult.

I'm sorry, but I seriously didn't understand the second statement. Can you rephrase/reword that please?

Back