Will Keldeo be the BCIF?

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
With the release of Hypnotoxic Laser, the usage of Keldeo will go way up. Some decks, in fact, already use Keldeo for it's ability. Here are some examples:

Speed Darkrai- Rush In, Dark Patch, Retreat
RayEels- Dynamotor, Rush In, Dynamotor more, retreat and discard a Lightning (skyarrow in play)
Blasteo- Do i even need to say?
Klinklang- Catchered Klinklang, Rush In, Retreat using Dark Cloak or Attack with Secret Sword.

And now in any other deck, Keldeo will help combat HTL. What do you guys think? Will it be the BCIF(Pokemon Wise)?

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
No, Mewtwo is more versatile and has seen the most playe since it attacks Colorless

So does Keldeo.

Worst case, you can 2HKO Landorus, but what I think makes it so versatile is its Ability. I mean Keldeo is an attacker AND a free retreater (kind of) in decks that are not Darkrai Hydreigon and can't afford Darkness Energies and it even sometimes is used in those decks to escape Paralysis. What's more versatile than duality? I wouldn't say Keldeo outclasses Mewtwo, but I think it is right up there with Mewtwo as BCIF.

Catcher is the BCIF in my opinion. I shouldn't need to explain that...
Best Pokemon in format goes to Mewtwo, in my opinion, just because it counters Keldeo, is the most versatile Pokemon in the format, and, if your opponenet doesn't run a counter (their own mewtwo mostly) you can, with Blastoise or Elektrik, just set up a giant Mewtwo that one shots everything.

I think the Best Card is Mewtwo because unlike Keldeo, Mewtwo can be used in any deck. Keldeo is a great card no question about it, but Mewtwo is alot better because Mewtwo counters every other single very good card very well. Mewtwo can also donk or put lots of pressure on the opponent early game unlike Keldeo. I also think with Hypnotoxic Lazer and Virbank. I have a feeling Tornadus EX could get in the top 5 for best cards and out of all the cards I think Tornadus benefits the most from Virbank/Lazer, so I think he will see a increase in play , because of the early donking ability.

QWERTY DITTO said:
Best Pokemon in format goes to Mewtwo, in my opinion, just because it counters Keldeo, is the most versatile Pokemon in the format, and, if your opponenet doesn't run a counter (their own mewtwo mostly) you can, with Blastoise or Elektrik, just set up a giant Mewtwo that one shots everything.

N is BCIF. You obviously don't know how many games can be won by N-Lucksacking your opponent to death.

Mewtwo is the best Pokemon in format however.

Riskbreakers said:
QWERTY DITTO said:

N is BCIF. You obviously don't know how many games can be won by N-Lucksacking your opponent to death.

Mewtwo is the best Pokemon in format however.

...because a card that relies on luck is clearly better than a card that is used in every single game of competitive TCG and requires zero luck whatsoever for it to work.

I don't like saying that there is a "BCIF" because every card that is good has it's own way of being good. You can't really compare Mewtwo and Catcher because they both are amazing in their own ways. If you had to choose the best Pokemon though, it would probably be Mewtwo, and if you had to choose the best Item, it would definitely be Catcher due to that it literally adds a new mechanic to the game; if your bench isn't safe, it completely changes the way the game is played.

BCIF is Catcher. It is a 4-of in every deck.

Best Pokemon is (IMO) Mewtwo. Keldeo is really good for retreating.

BCIF is juniper. I'd rather run a deck with 4 juniper and without 4 catcher than 4 catcher and no juniper.
Best Pokemon is mewtwo. So splashable, so strong.

Alright, the title's name has gotten us a little off the topic of Keldeo. But back to that. Will it be the clear BCIF? Probably not. But will it start seeing more play as a result of Hypnotic Laser? I'd be surprised if it didn't, especially after we get that free retreat tool thing too. Getting out of the sleep effect can be game-changing although it seems like there are going to be more and more OHKOs as the format progresses, so the sleep won't be as game-changing in the first place. Even so, Darkrai/Keldeo will probably start seeing more play, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Keldeo start popping up in other seemingly random places either.

Will Keldeo be the BCIF? No. In my eyes, BCIF literally means the single best card, and I have no doubt in my mind that the bandwagon is correct, with Mewtwo EX. Your talking about Keldeo being popular because of the hype of Hypnotoxic Laser and being able to provide retreat. While that is very good, its sort of a meta call. Keldeo can also be a very strong attacker but it also needs a strong line of support to go along with it to make it good. The reason Mewtwo outclasses Keldeo is because of its versatility. Literally *almost* every single deck has run at least one copy of it since it has been released, and for good reason. People often hype cards up to the extreme (HTL), but at the end of the day, while they are good cards, Mewtwo EX and Catcher will continue to stand atop the pyramid. With hype of new cards, you have to take everything with a grain of salt. While cards like HTL are very good, people will talk about things becoming unplayable but the truly good cards will hold through. Look how hyped up Landorus was at the beginning of cities. It had a very favorable matchup against Eels and Darkrai, but those two are alive and well. Only the States tournaments will tell though what all is the best, and while I do believe that Keldeo will be an important player, Mewtwo will still be played more regularly

I definitely think Keldeo is a great card to combat HTL. The decks you listed above of course will all still enjoy Keldeo as much as they did. The decks that can't run Keldeo very well (Landorus/Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Empoleon, Garbodor) might just want to run more Switch/Escape Rope, they can even run 5+ of them combined for the decks that really need Switch.

Keldeo also get's competition for the main attacker in Blastoise, with Articuno, Black Kyurem EX and even Lugia EX being tested in Blastoise. Of course, Keldeo will always be in the deck for Rush in, but the deck can become more of a tool box deck now, rather then just Blastoise/Keldeo (always with Mewtwo of course). Which slightly decreases the playability of it. Only slightly though.

On the topic of BP(Pokemon)IF, I think Mewtwo is still BPIF.

Keldeo is a great card, don't get me wrong, but it's not the best. "Best" itself is an extremely subjective word to throw around, so let's try not using it because like every other card, it has its strengths and weaknesses. #shayminex With Hypnotoxic Laser, yes. The deck becomes more disruptive and allows the player more time to set up Blastoises on the Bench if you flip heads, which in turn makes Keldeo a seemingly better card. You force your opponent to Retreat/burn a Switch, which can be crucial late game. I agree with MtC on the argument that Keldeo/Blastoise will become toolbox-like. With the introduction of BKEX, you can adapt to whichever deck you're playing a little bit better. If you don't have Tropical Beach, this opens a few slots in your deck to try something new.

I disagree with the Toolbox aspect of it other than BKEX. Articuno EX and Lugia EX require too much to set up, and the deck doesn't have enough space for Plasma Energy or Hypnotoxic Laser. Keldeo does certainly get better with the inclusion of BKEX though, as it finally gains a good answer to Mewtwo and a fantastic attacker.

I'm going to go ahead and say no. Why?
Keldeo is only useable in a deck based on it or a Darkrai build. Anything else it's difficult to retreat or just not worth it.

blargh257 said:
I'm going to go ahead and say no. Why?
Keldeo is only useable in a deck based on it or a Darkrai build. Anything else it's difficult to retreat or just not worth it.

It's also really good in Eelektrik (specifically Ray/Eels), as both a means for Rush in, and if you include Prism's, a way to KO Landorus easier. Klinklang as well (or is that included in the "based around Keldeo" section?).

When I say toolbox, I'm just saying that Keldeo's card count in the deck will drop from 3/2 to like 2/1 and it will gain a few new friends. Just like ZekEels went to Eels. Sooner or later, the deck could just be called "Blastoise."

BCIF = catcher, BCIF = hypnotoxic, keldeo is just one of the best techs money can buy, once the tin comes, but no BCIF.

Haha, shenanigans.

I love how 90%+ of the people in this thread didn't read the OP. If they did, they would have noticed the words (Pokemon wise) after BCIF.

Keldeo may or may not see a rise in play after Plasma Gale, but imo Mewtwo will definitely get worse. Blastoise Keldeo currently gets destroyed by Mewtwo, but with the new BKEX that came out it can OHKO Mewtwo easily and its nearly impossible for Mewtwo to get the revenge KO. Something nobody has mentioned though is Darkrai-after all, if Keldeo needs it or Blastoise to function, and Darkrai needs nothing to function and has several metagame decks in which it is the main attacker, AND its more splashable, I'd say Darkrai is the BPCIF.

Back