XY Will 6th Generation Bring a 3rd Generation Remake?

Mitja said:
Rayquaza would come and calm down just one of them? That sounds odd... why not exclude Rayquaza in the climax completely if the proper story cant be told?

"oh damn the cover legendary is going crazy...you have to go get that one stronger legendary guy to stop it" which is what I was trying to say with the picture. gamefreak is a bunch of perfectionists, they wouldn't be satisfied with this imo.

Write the other mascot into the story as well, but make it uncatchable in your version (or maybe catchable post game).

Mitja said:
But I have figured out a simple solution for the whole dilemma (I don't think they will make copy/paste remakes anymore, but in the case they would, this would be a neat solution)
I call it, the Emerald key.
Lets say you get Ruby.
The game revolves around Team Magma and has the drought and having to stop Groudon, just like a standard expected remake of Ruby with the usual polished up story and better fleshed out characters jadajada.
But after beating the E4, you unlock the Emerald key, which is useless unless you send it to another NEW game.
Now you or a friend gets/has Sapphire, you send over the Emerald key, which activates the option to START A NEW GAME as Emerald, instead of Sapphire. The game intro screen turns from blue to green, and then features both teams, the Emerald showdown, and any other appropriate changes..

Everything needed for this was already done in some form in BW2.

This would be a good solution were it not for the fact that Keys are hard to come by without having two copies of the game yourself, and many people would not be willing to restart the game just for the plot to be slightly different.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:
But I have figured out a simple solution for the whole dilemma (I don't think they will make copy/paste remakes anymore, but in the case they would, this would be a neat solution)
Lets say you get Ruby.
The game revolves around Team Magma and has the drought and having to stop Groudon, just like a standard expected remake of Ruby with the usual polished up story and better fleshed out characters jadajada.
But after beating the E4, you unlock the Emerald key, which is useless unless you send it to another NEW game.
Now you or a friend gets/has Sapphire, you send over the Emerald key, which activates the option to START A NEW GAME as Emerald, instead of Sapphire. The game intro screen turns from blue to green, and then features both teams, the Emerald showdown, and any other appropriate changes..

This would be a good solution were it not for the fact that Keys are hard to come by without having two copies of the game yourself, and many people would not be willing to restart the game just for the plot to be slightly different.

Buying a third version is just as hard to come by without buying another game though, isn't it?

In my scenario,
instead of waiting for an Emerald remake after you're done with your Ruby remake, you buy a Sapphire remake and pretend you bought Emerald since it plays like one then. XD

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:
Lets say you get Ruby.

I'm with Bolt on this one. I mean, having remakes of all 3 would be great, but I'd imagine if the R/S remakes were announced, but then a couple months or so after their release an Emerald remake is announced. It'd a) provide hype and b) provide more $ for GF.
And it'd mean that you wouldn't be forced to buy say, 2 copies of Sapphire and 1 of Ruby, in order to fully enjoy each remake. I'd much rather get Emerald actually remade, rather than done this way. I think it makes more sense that all 3 games get their own remake, as opposed to only 2 of them get a remake, but you can unlock a game inside.
also, correct me if I'm wrong (I might be), but wouldn't having 2 whole games in the cartridge be too much data for it?
I mean, for the most part the trainers and all are the same, but what about those small dialogue changes? Those roster changes? And then the huge story differences.

Like it's been previously mentioned, one idea that's good is the sequel idea. It keeps the whole 'Visit Hoenn in 3D! See all your favourites from Gen.3 such as Blaziken, Sceptile, Swampert' blahdiblah, but at the same time spices things up with the new.
It would also mean that they aren't obliged to change R/S's story to include Rayquaza, and all that whathaveyou.

One thing that just came to my head (and will probably be moaned at for): What if Rayquaza got new formes for the weather? They could be something easy like a pallet change, but this is what I think is more likely:
-Rayquaza-Rain, same body, but Kyogre-color blue and has features reminiscent of Kyogre. It's type would change to Dragon/Water
-Rayquaza-Sun, same as above but with Groudon-color red and features reminiscent of Groudon. It's type would change to Dragon/Ground
The two formes could each star in their own remake (something like Emerald Sun and Emerald Rain versions, very uncreative names but cba to think right now), with Aqua/Magma reforming to use this Rayquaza forme to do weather-related things? Or what if these new formes are somehow controlled by the influence of Kyogre/Groudon whilst in these formes.

Unlikely, but an idea.

Considering that the remakes happen at the same time the main series generation does storyline wise, I don't think we'd necessarily get r/s remakes but possibly something similar to B2/W2 and G/S/C's kanto where it's set years in the future. Neo Team magma vs. Neo Team Aqua, Brand new gym leaders/ e4, new places to explore, etc.

I had an idea for G3 remakes, 1 game is a Hoenn remake the other is a Kanto remake, those are the 2 separate versions. I know it sounds ludicrous to have 2 corresponding games in 2 different regions, but it would be something to supply to G1 fans and G3 fans all at the same time.

P.DelSlayer said:
also, correct me if I'm wrong (I might be), but wouldn't having 2 whole games in the cartridge be too much data for it?
I mean, for the most part the trainers and all are the same, but what about those small dialogue changes? Those roster changes? And then the huge story differences.

Its not that much where it would cause issues (also note that we are talking 3DS here which has cartdiges that can hold up to 4GB roms even tho most games barely reach 1GB), besides, did you know that RS included bases/dungeons of both villainous teams for example, merely having the doors take you to just one of them depending on version? (same with both White forest and Black city being in both BW games including all the characters, scripts, trainers etc.)
Extra dialogue text and what models to use for some charater etc isnt that much anyway compared to actually including extra character models, textures and whatnot (these would all be included in both versions in all cases anyway).
And we saw with the Easy/Challeng keys that adjusting rosters wasn't a problem either, on the DS carts.

P.DelSlayer said:
Like it's been previously mentioned, one idea that's good is the sequel idea. It keeps the whole 'Visit Hoenn in 3D! See all your favourites from Gen.3 such as Blaziken, Sceptile, Swampert' blahdiblah, but at the same time spices things up with the new.
It would also mean that they aren't obliged to change R/S's story to include Rayquaza, and all that whathaveyou.

One thing that just came to my head (and will probably be moaned at for): What if Rayquaza got new formes for the weather? They could be something easy like a pallet change, but this is what I think is more likely:
-Rayquaza-Rain, same body, but Kyogre-color blue and has features reminiscent of Kyogre. It's type would change to Dragon/Water
-Rayquaza-Sun, same as above but with Groudon-color red and features reminiscent of Groudon. It's type would change to Dragon/Ground
The two formes could each star in their own remake (something like Emerald Sun and Emerald Rain versions, very uncreative names but cba to think right now), with Aqua/Magma reforming to use this Rayquaza forme to do weather-related things? Or what if these new formes are somehow controlled by the influence of Kyogre/Groudon whilst in these formes.

Unlikely, but an idea.

Yeah thats what I mean. Lots more potential and possibilities. Marketing both nostalgia and new stuff at the same time.

Or the RS mascots gaining "hazardous weather" formes instead of the non-damagin rain and sunshine... Groudon Sandstorm forme and Kyogre Hail forme. lol, not sure how much people would rage though xDDDDD

Mitja said:
Buying a third version is just as hard to come by without buying another game though, isn't it?

In my scenario,
instead of waiting for an Emerald remake after you're done with your Ruby remake, you buy a Sapphire remake and pretend you bought Emerald since it plays like one then. XD

P.DelSlayer said:
I'm with Bolt on this one. I mean, having remakes of all 3 would be great, but I'd imagine if the R/S remakes were announced, but then a couple months or so after their release an Emerald remake is announced. It'd a) provide hype and b) provide more $ for GF.
And it'd mean that you wouldn't be forced to buy say, 2 copies of Sapphire and 1 of Ruby, in order to fully enjoy each remake. I'd much rather get Emerald actually remade, rather than done this way. I think it makes more sense that all 3 games get their own remake, as opposed to only 2 of them get a remake, but you can unlock a game inside.

What? No, having an Emerald remake is pointless if we already get RS remakes. After BW2, people don't want to play the same game they've played before. So no, they're just going to integrate Emerald story elements into RS.

P.DelSlayer said:

But of course, that idea pales in comparison to sequel remakes.

P.DelSlayer said:

Unlikely, but an idea.

I don't think new forms of the mascots are necessary, and I think new Rayquaza forms wouldn't really make sense and would seem like ripoffs of Black and White Kyurem.

Id prefer two new legendaries that look like they are family with RSE mascots, controlling other types of weathers, over any of the RSE mascots gaining formes too. Which brings me to the idea of a mini-generation that would add say 50 new pokes introduced in Hoenn, instead of nostalgia games having to resort to a handful of formes and market them as "new pokemon!!".

Of course such a gen would use the original starters instead of introducing even more of the overdone concept (I mean Fire consists like 40% of starters lol)

Id personally prefer a Revisit of *insert old region* with a small bunch of new casual pokes to fresh it up, as the nostalgic games instead of remakes, but for the crowd wishing for remakes, this would probably be too much of a deviation to still count as satisfying that need.

@Mitja, I'd like that idea for 2 reasons

1. A mini region would take less time to create meaning it's release wouldn't take as much patience

2. I agree that starters have been some what over done, but another idea: What if we still got starters but in a different type triangle e.g. Rock Fighting Flying? Not as elemental as the previous but they could bend a new concept on to the 3 types

Exactly! A mini generation works nciely with the fact that such games tend to be the "extra games" whose main purpose is to drag out the current generation.

Itd fit with the nostalgia theme though to use the starters you've used when you visited the region for the first time a decade ago or so.

What I'd like to see is there being a second set of 3 pokemon at a later point in game, who are not the starter types, but just as well designed, 3 staged, and starter-strong in terms of data and movepools etc.
But thats another topic.

Mitja said:
Id prefer two new legendaries that look like they are family with RSE mascots, controlling other types of weathers, over any of the RSE mascots gaining formes too. Which brings me to the idea of a mini-generation that would add say 50 new pokes introduced in Hoenn, instead of nostalgia games having to resort to a handful of formes and market them as "new pokemon!!".

I'm not so sure this is a good idea because I think they would run out of ideas quicker if they kept releasing new Pokemon on a regular basis, and there's compatibility issues to take into account as well. Aside from that, I wouldn't mind.

Mitja said:
Id personally prefer a Revisit of *insert old region* with a small bunch of new casual pokes to fresh it up, as the nostalgic games instead of remakes, but for the crowd wishing for remakes, this would probably be too much of a deviation to still count as satisfying that need.

This is probably all right, I think as long as the region's native Pokemon get the proper focus (i.e. we don't get situations like in GSCHGSS where Kanto Dex Pokemon outnumber Johto Dex Pokemon), it's all right to add in some newer Pokemon. I don't think people would mind using some of their new favorites in older regions.

With "new" I was still talking about ones that would be released as that mini-generation, not gen 4/5 pokes.

A gen 6.5, or gen 3+ xDD

Like 3 more deep-sea pokes if there was a huge new underwater area to be explored.
Or if the tiny icy place in Shoal Cave would open up to a whole cold dungeon, a bunch of new common Ice types.
Or the volcano area expanded, where Slugma and Numel wouldn't be enough as common pokemon, hence a new fitting poke added.
Such pokemon would then be considered "Hoenn-native" and probably end up being called new-hoenn pokemon.

Of course one or another gen4/5 mon would also make it in there somewhere when appropriate. At least any new evos ala Gallade.
We need to see what standards XY set as far as amount of pokemon in regional-dex go, since it seems to be aiming for as high as ~300 like BW2 before it.

Mitja said:
With "new" I was still talking about ones that would be released as that mini-generation, not gen 4/5 pokes.

A gen 6.5, or gen 3+ xDD

Like 3 more deep-sea pokes if there was a huge new underwater area to be explored.
Or if the tiny icy place in Shoal Cave would open up to a whole cold dungeon, a bunch of new common Ice types.
Or the volcano area expanded, where Slugma and Numel wouldn't be enough as common pokemon, hence a new fitting poke added.
Such pokemon would then be considered "Hoenn-native" and probably end up being called new-hoenn pokemon.

Of course one or another gen4/5 mon would also make it in there somewhere when appropriate. At least any new evos ala Gallade.
We need to see what standards XY set as far as amount of pokemon in regional-dex go, since it seems to be aiming for as high as ~300 like BW2 before it.

No, I got that, I just didn't know you were saying stick the new Pokemon in those areas. I'd rather they just use 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon to improve Hoenn's diversity. There's more than enough options that we don't need to create entirely new ones for that purpose.

Bolt the Cat said:
Mitja said:

A gen 6.5, or gen 3+ xDD

No, I got that, I just didn't know you were saying stick the new Pokemon in those areas. I'd rather they just use 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Pokemon to improve Hoenn's diversity. There's more than enough options that we don't need to create entirely new ones for that purpose.

The issue with using pre-existing pokes is that they aren't truly native to the region, it made sense in HG/ SS because those pokemon evolved from the pokemon already in the dex. They could do like B/W where the other region pokemon could be found in unlocked areas in the hoenn map, but that wouldn't be as unique as a mini-generation which would supply fans with new pokemon as opposed to the generic redesigned legendary aka forme changes

I came up with a little theory.

Fans thought that Game Freak's game plan was like this:

G1: R/B-Y
G2: G/S-C
G3: R/S-E (FR/LG 2 Gens After R/B)
G4: D/P-Pl (HG/SS 2 Gens After G/S)
G5: B/W-B2/W2 (?R/?S 2 Gens After R/S)
G6: X/Y-? (?D/?P 2 Gens After D/P)
etc....

But maybe, what if it's not 2 generations after the originals that they release a remake? What if it's like this?

G1: R/B/Y (Kanto)
G2: G/S/C (Johto/KANTO[First time Kanto was shown since gen 1])
G3: R/S/E (Hoenn) FR/LG (Kanto[Ignore this])
G4: D/P/Pl (SInnoh) HG/SS (JOHTO [First time Johto was shown since gen 2])
G5: B/W/B2/W2 (Unova)
G6: X/Y/? (Kalos) Possible RS remake (HOENN [First time Hoenn was shown since gen 3])
G7: ?/?/? (?)
G8: ?/?/? (?) Possible DP remake (SINNOH [First time Sinnoh was shown since gen 4])
G9: ?/?/? (?)
G10: ?/?/? (?) Possible BW remake (UNOVA [first time Unova shown since gen 5])

If you're still following along, maybe they're not doing a remake 2 gens after it was introduced. Maybe they're doing it if you take the original gen # and multiply it by 2. So if that's true, then maybe we could get some RS remakes in gen 6 and DP remakes in gen 8

Sky Pillar said:
The issue with using pre-existing pokes is that they aren't truly native to the region, it made sense in HG/ SS because those pokemon evolved from the pokemon already in the dex. They could do like B/W where the other region pokemon could be found in unlocked areas in the hoenn map, but that wouldn't be as unique as a mini-generation which would supply fans with new pokemon as opposed to the generic redesigned legendary aka forme changes

No one questioned when 150 new Pokemon inexplicably started showing up in Unova, the same logic applies here.

Jandro Rodriguez said:
I came up with a little theory.

Fans thought that Game Freak's game plan was like this:

G1: R/B-Y
G2: G/S-C
G3: R/S-E (FR/LG 2 Gens After R/B)
G4: D/P-Pl (HG/SS 2 Gens After G/S)
G5: B/W-B2/W2 (?R/?S 2 Gens After R/S)
G6: X/Y-? (?D/?P 2 Gens After D/P)
etc....

But maybe, what if it's not 2 generations after the originals that they release a remake? What if it's like this?

G1: R/B/Y (Kanto)
G2: G/S/C (Johto/KANTO[First time Kanto was shown since gen 1])
G3: R/S/E (Hoenn) FR/LG (Kanto[Ignore this])
G4: D/P/Pl (SInnoh) HG/SS (JOHTO [First time Johto was shown since gen 2])
G5: B/W/B2/W2 (Unova)
G6: X/Y/? (Kalos) Possible RS remake (HOENN [First time Hoenn was shown since gen 3])
G7: ?/?/? (?)
G8: ?/?/? (?) Possible DP remake (SINNOH [First time Sinnoh was shown since gen 4])
G9: ?/?/? (?)
G10: ?/?/? (?) Possible BW remake (UNOVA [first time Unova shown since gen 5])

If you're still following along, maybe they're not doing a remake 2 gens after it was introduced. Maybe they're doing it if you take the original gen # and multiply it by 2. So if that's true, then maybe we could get some RS remakes in gen 6 and DP remakes in gen 8

I think it just depends on the timing in regards to new consoles. 5th gen didn't have a remake because they chose to keep it on the DS. I think whether or not 7th gen gets a remake depends on whether or not 7th gen will remain on the 3DS or move on to its successor.

If we do get a remake this generation, I believe it will be our last or at least for a long time. I expect at least two generations on the 3DS possibly even three (all depends on the next handheld Nintendo comes out with) and Gen IV & V are still playable on the 3DS so if a remake for them (which I highly doubt will occur) come out it won't be for plenty of years.

Like I said previously, I thought Gamefreak(?) stated they didn't want to focus their efforts on remakes because they want more effort into the newer games or something like that. IMO I'd rather they spend more time on newer generations than remaking previous ones that are still fresh in everyone's minds.

Bolt the Cat said:
Sky Pillar said:

No one questioned when 150 new Pokemon inexplicably started showing up in Unova, the same logic applies here.

They were already there in B/W after you beat the game, in B2/W2 you start off in and around the post game areas, so they are native to the region. Same thing happens in all 3rd game installments, new pokemon appear in areas where they normally weren't in the previous games.

jdivinity said:
If we do get a remake this generation, I believe it will be our last or at least for a long time. I expect at least two generations on the 3DS possibly even three (all depends on the next handheld Nintendo comes out with) and Gen IV & V are still playable on the 3DS so if a remake for them (which I highly doubt will occur) come out it won't be for plenty of years.

Like I said previously, I thought Gamefreak(?) stated they didn't want to focus their efforts on remakes because they want more effort into the newer games or something like that. IMO I'd rather they spend more time on newer generations than remaking previous ones that are still fresh in everyone's minds.

This line of reasoning makes no sense. First of all, I doubt we'll see 3 generations of Pokemon on the 3DS, that would mean the 3DS would last well into 2021, and I highly doubt that is happening. Maybe we'll see 2 gens, it depends on how long Nintendo wants the 3DS to last.

And if it does last that long, what will they use to fill in the gaps if not remakes? I don't think they can stretch that out based on sequels alone. Just because they didn't want to "focus" their efforts on remakes doesn't mean they won't happen, they just don't want the remakes overshadowing the new games.

Sky Pillar said:
They were already there in B/W after you beat the game, in B2/W2 you start off in and around the post game areas, so they are native to the region. Same thing happens in all 3rd game installments, new pokemon appear in areas where they normally weren't in the previous games.

BW2 still had plenty of Pokemon living in the region that weren't native there before.

Bolt the Cat said:
BW2 still had plenty of Pokemon living in the region that weren't native there before.

Same for Platinum and Emerald but those are 3rd versions not remakes of a previous gen. In FR/LG none of the pokemon you found pre-national dex were out of the original regional dex (the original 151), In HG/SS the opposite happened but they were all related to old pokes.

We're talking about remakes not a third version.

Sky Pillar said:
Same for Platinum and Emerald but those are 3rd versions not remakes of a previous gen. In FR/LG none of the pokemon you found pre-national dex were out of the original regional dex (the original 151), In HG/SS the opposite happened but they were all related to old pokes.

We're talking about remakes not a third version

If it's a straight remake like FRLG or HGSS, then yeah, but they could at least include new evolutions and such. But I'm saying they shouldn't do a straight remake, I think they should do a sequel remake. They could take such liberties in that case.

Back