XY Will 6th Generation Bring a 3rd Generation Remake?

Bolt the Cat said:
Sky Pillar said:
Same for Platinum and Emerald but those are 3rd versions not remakes of a previous gen. In FR/LG none of the pokemon you found pre-national dex were out of the original regional dex (the original 151), In HG/SS the opposite happened but they were all related to old pokes.

We're talking about remakes not a third version

If it's a straight remake like FRLG or HGSS, then yeah, but they could at least include new evolutions and such. But I'm saying they shouldn't do a straight remake, I think they should do a sequel remake. They could take such liberties in that case.

I guess we just had miscommunication then, because I'd like that too.

The best indicators we have to a new remake this gen are the colors here's my own theory:

Rubies, sapphires, and emeralds are variations of the colors red, blue, and green respectively. In the same gen we got R/S/E we got gen 1 remakes.

Diamonds and pearls are signs of wealth just the same as gold and silver, in the same gen we got G/S remakes

This gen we have a land based and an air based mascot represented by the colors blue and red... similar to gen 3 except that was land vs sea.

This is mostly coincidence/ subtle hints but it's an interesting relation this gen has to 3rd gen.

I'd like to see them, I know that. And my gut feeling is indeed that they didn't happen in Gen. V because of the timing with the 3DS. Console transitions have caused screwy things to happen before (for example, Final Fantasy Type-0 not being released outside Japan was attributed to the launch of the PS Vita being too soon), so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they decided to wait for a new system (and a new graphical style) for remakes as opposed to abandoning the concept altogether.

The biggest argument in favor of the remakes is that they are guaranteed profit for Nintendo and Game Freak. They can be made relatively cheaply, with most story development, dialogue, and localization holding over from the originals and the art assets having been developed for the main games. And while they're not quite as cheap to make as third-version or sequel games, the fact that they're a new region for that generation means that they sell very well compared to the third-version games, yielding a much higher return on the investment. Emerald sold around 6 million copies, but FireRed & LeafGreen sold about 12 million. Similarly, Platinum sold about 7 million, but that generation's remakes again reached 12 million sold. One could argue that they made more just because they were dual releases, but the numbers say that doesn't matter: the dual-release Black 2 & White 2 combined sold 7.5 million, which is only slightly more than Platinum, and is in the same ballpark as all the other third versions (excepting the anomalous TV tie-in that was Yellow).

Now, Game Freak and Nintendo aren't exactly hurting for cash, but they're not quite rolling in it right now either, and a good remake bump could be just what the CFO ordered. Between the easy profits and the appreciation from grateful fans, Pokémon remakes are just plain good business. Also remember: every single one of these anti-remake points was made about Johto remakes as well, and look how that turned out.

DorianBlack said:
I'd like to see them, I know that. And my gut feeling is indeed that they didn't happen in Gen. V because of the timing with the 3DS. Console transitions have caused screwy things to happen before (for example, Final Fantasy Type-0 not being released outside Japan was attributed to the launch of the PS Vita being too soon), so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they decided to wait for a new system (and a new graphical style) for remakes as opposed to abandoning the concept altogether.

The biggest argument in favor of the remakes is that they are guaranteed profit for Nintendo and Game Freak. They can be made relatively cheaply, with most story development, dialogue, and localization holding over from the originals and the art assets having been developed for the main games. And while they're not quite as cheap to make as third-version or sequel games, the fact that they're a new region for that generation means that they sell very well compared to the third-version games, yielding a much higher return on the investment. Emerald sold around 6 million copies, but FireRed & LeafGreen sold about 12 million. Similarly, Platinum sold about 7 million, but that generation's remakes again reached 12 million sold. One could argue that they made more just because they were dual releases, but the numbers say that doesn't matter: the dual-release Black 2 & White 2 combined sold 7.5 million, which is only slightly more than Platinum, and is in the same ballpark as all the other third versions (excepting the anomalous TV tie-in that was Yellow).

Now, Game Freak and Nintendo aren't exactly hurting for cash, but they're not quite rolling in it right now either, and a good remake bump could be just what the CFO ordered. Between the easy profits and the appreciation from grateful fans, Pokémon remakes are just plain good business. Also remember: every single one of these anti-remake points was made about Johto remakes as well, and look how that turned out.

It does seem like the thing to do to make money. (Add 3d remakes). Given the amount of Hoenn fans, I could even see this topping the remake sales.

I think the main reason for Generation 1 and 2 remakes were that the older games were not compatible with the newer games. The original Generation 3 Pokémon can still be transfered to the newer versions.

Although Gamefreak doesn't HAVE to make remakes of Generation 3, regarding the compatibility, there is still a lot of people that want Generation 3 remakes (I am one of them, it was my favorite region!).

I hope they will decide to do it, and I think there are plenty of people that will want to buy it.

Sky Pillar said:
Considering that the remakes happen at the same time the main series generation does storyline wise, I don't think we'd necessarily get r/s remakes but possibly something similar to B2/W2 and G/S/C's Kanto where it's set years in the future. Neo Team magma vs. Neo Team Aqua, Brand new gym leaders/ e4, new places to explore, etc.

I had an idea for G3 remakes, 1 game is a Hoenn remake the other is a Kanto remake, those are the 2 separate versions. I know it sounds ludicrous to have 2 corresponding games in 2 different regions, but it would be something to supply to G1 fans and G3 fans all at the same time.

I agree with you and I have a idea for the remakes: Kanto's mascot could be Mewtwo, and Hoenn's mascot will be Rayquaza

bennett999 said:
I agree with you and I have a idea for the remakes: Kanto's mascot could be Mewtwo, and Hoenn's mascot will be Rayquaza

I like the idea of paired remakes, but I think it would work better with Kanto and Johto instead of Kanto and Hoenn, since Kanto and Johto have a strong connection to each other, and they could have similar Pokedexes, the same Elite 4, and simultaneous connected storylines.

The third generation had some of my favorite features, including the ability to dive and create secret bases. I also really liked the region itself. I would love a third generation remake.

However, I believe the first two generations got remakes, because the original versions were not backwards compatible with the newer games. Generation 3 (so far) still is. Nintendo mentioned that they are still working on the backwards compatibility. I hope there is enough demand for it to convince Nintendo of making them, even if the previous games are compatible.

I highly doubt they will make a remake because it takes awhile for each remake to be made its like 10 years between each game. But I can't quit hoping I love the 3rd generation.

I was thinking today about how Masuda was emphasizing "natural beaty" as a focus of X/Y.

If they wanted to keep pushing that envelope, R/S/E would be the games to revisit. No pokemon region has been as integrated with nature as Hoenn. Those games were gorgeous, even with GBA graphics.

Ghost King said:
I highly doubt they will make a remake because it takes awhile for each remake to be made its like 10 years between each game. But I can't quit hoping I love the 3rd generation.

By that logic they should be made, because it's been 11 years since the release of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.

I just really hope they would remake RSE. 3rd gen was my favorite (and still is :D), but at the same time I hope they don't fudge it up. :/

Pineapple X said:
I just really hope they would remake RSE. 3rd gen was my favorite (and still is :D), but at the same time I hope they don't fawk it up. :/

They wouldn't fudge (lol, auto-censor) it up. FR/LG were brilliant and HG/SS were my favourite Pokémon games ever, beating the original G/S from the top spot! They'll do a good job no doubt! :)

I would be for it since I never played a Gen 3 game (except Emerald briefly on an emulator), but would understand if remakes were not made. Making a 3DS Pokémon game for gen 3 would rile up [some in] the fan base - "Why can't we get Gen 1 or 2 in 3D!!!!" or something to that effect.

mastermagpie said:
FR/LG were brilliant and HG/SS were my favourite Pokémon games ever, beating the original G/S from the top spot! They'll do a good job no doubt! :)

Yeah. We gotta hope so :D Totally agree though. HG is my third fave version.

Bolt the Cat said:
Inferchomp said:
I would be for it since I never played a Gen 3 game (except Emerald briefly on an emulator), but would understand if remakes were not made. Making a 3DS Pokémon game for gen 3 would rile up [some in] the fan base - "Why can't we get Gen 1 or 2 in 3D!!!!" or something to that effect.

Why can't we?

I would prefer a Kanto/Johto 3DS game, but would bet RS would be made into 3DS games first because of how recent HG/SS are compared to RS. Like you said previously (I think) a remake of Kanto/Johto games would be a better sell, yet they'll make money regardless.

With the graphics from X/Y, I believe they could do a lot with the weather in a generation 3 remake. Now would probably be the best time for them.

Inferchomp said:
I would prefer a Kanto/Johto 3DS game, but would bet RS would be made into 3DS games first because of how recent HG/SS are compared to RS. Like you said previously (I think) a remake of Kanto/Johto games would be a better sell, yet they'll make money regardless.

RS has first priority, I think. It's the most out of date, and now is about the right time for them to remake it. DP probably won't happen until 7th or 8th gen, depending on what the series looks like 8 years from now. And the Kanto/Johto games can be done sometime when they have nothing else to do, which would probably be either in between RS and DP, or after DP.

I personally think a Gen 3 Remake would be highly likely! After all, since the 3rd Generation, the Pokemon Company has been remaking the games in order. (Gen 1, then Gen 2)

I think it would be awesome to relive Sapphire and Ruby, since Gen 3 is where I started off! The nostalgia and everything will still be there for me...I just think R/S Remakes would be awesome. I don't even have words to describe how much I want them.

Back