BW/BW2 Why do people hate the 5th Gen so much?

Wich Gen had the best Pokemon?

• Gen 1

Votes: 26 13.6%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 39 20.4%
  • Gen 3

Votes: 47 24.6%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Gen 5 (By Pokemon revealed so far)

Votes: 51 26.7%

• Total voters
RE: Why do people hate so much the 5th Gen?

Tarazuma said:
No, I do not find squirrels cute in real life. They are rodents. I don't hate real squirrels, but I also don't care about them. However, any type of rodent based fictional creatures disgust me, especially squirrel ones.

Rotom's formes are unique because of the whole concept behind Rotom and his formes. A ghost obsessed with electronics to the point where he morphs himself into various human inventions. When exactly has that been done before? That's totally unique! Do you see what I mean? It's not the refrigerator and fan that's unique, it's the fact that it's a ghost turning itself into these things and changing type along with it.

And no, Mamepato looks like a real life pigeon. Generic yes, but not nearly as goofy looking as the Starly line. That's just my opinion anyways. They are both just as generic and boring as Pidgey in the end. I just hate Starly and it's evolutions the most.

Well yes I guess that was slightly opinionated of me saying squirrels are cute, but still, I just don't feel Rotom's formes are very unique. Don't get me wrong I like them, but I just don't think it's really a "wow" idea, if you know what I mean.

Geez Tarazuma, you write a lot! ( that wasn't offensive; it was a compliment. I give you credit because I am easily distracted--hey is that a yeti outside my room--I mean good job!) Anyway I still don't understand how people hate this generation. I mean all the pokemon are very unique (except for mamepato) and look pretty good in my opinion.

Lol, yeah, I do write alot! I often tend to get carried away, especially with Pokemon haha.

maybe because of the new pokemon that are coming out, but to me they look awesome

Tarazuma said:
I don't get why alot of people in this thread keep saying "everyone just likes the 1st gen because of nostalgia". The first gen is my favorite but NOT because of nostalgia, but because it has Hypno, my number one favorite, as well as other major favorites of mine. And there's plenty of 1st gen Pokemon I've hated since the very beginning (Rattata line, Jigglypuff, Dragonite, Mr Mime, Ponyta line, and others) And I loved gen 3 and 5 right from the start. It's just gen 4 I hate.

I agree with whoever on here said that most of the 4th gen monsters look like they were designed by 6 year olds. Seriously, most of them do. A cutesy wutesy widdwe bunny, beaver, squirrel (vomits), penguin, monkey, skunk, weasel with floaties (so the little babies can relate), a totally wasted lion design, and a whole slow of generic, uninspired plants and fish. Awww, look at the cutesy wutesy widdwe flowers and fishie wishies that are weak and uneccesarry filler ^-^ /sarcarsm Seriously, gen 4 was basically "Cute Widdwe Mammal Petting Zoo"/"My Aquarium"/"Baby's First Garden", with a bunch of lame old stragglers from the past gens, with only a handful of new GOOD designs.

Yeah, there were some cool and unique ones like Bronzong, Rotom formes, Drifloon line, the legendaries (not that pitiful little elf trio though), Beequeen, Torterra, Skorupi line, Gible line, Snover line, and most of the past gen evolutions, except for undeserving garbage like Ambipom and Lickylicky, and horribly wasted designs that could have been awesome, like Honchkrow (vomits again) But all the good evolutions were only available post-national dex anyways.

Gen 5 on the other hand has stuff like a dark land crocodile, an egyptian sarcophagus with ghostly hands, living gears, a weird cell homunculus thingie, a psychic goth femme, an electric tarantula, a mole with huge claws, huge-tusked dragons, a native american-inspired eagle, and an evil monster fox! And this is just the pre-release stuff!

Like them or hate them, no one can argue that MOST, not all, of the 5th gen designs so far are way more original and unique then the Gen 4 crud. I mean yeah, its got its share of generic crud like the regional rodents, regional birds, a "cute widdwe" baby deer, a dumpy electric zebra, a flamin' hog, a "cute widdwe" chinchilla, another stupid squirrel, and that infernal broccoli monkey. But even they aren't as bad as the 4th gen stuff. The regional rodents at least have cool eyes and the body glowing thing, Mamepaato isn't nearly as stupid looking as Starly, Emonga dosen't look nearly as horrible as Pachirisu, and the deer changes types each season.

Even the broccoli monkey is at least semi-original, in concept only. Loses mega originality points for being a simian, there are already 8 of those aready, and they are all horrible designs. Well, at least Hihidaruma and Infernape are based on other things and gain SOME originality points (being based on a daruma doll and the Son Goku legend, respecitvely)

Seriously, you're starting to annoy me with all Gen 4 hate.

You keep saying most gen 4 is crud and bla bla but you listed so many gen 4 pokémon you liked you could have built a team with them actually... and there were older gen's pokémon to catch too so...

Do you really think an egyptian sarcophagus is a cool ideia for a Pokémon???? Claydol is cool, Bronzong is cool, Legendary Golems are kind of cool. Spiritomb is cool. Rotom and its forms are REALLY cool. Sarcophagus -> Not cool! It's like "let's make a pokémon based on a coffin. What's next? Oh, let's make a pokémon based on a crucifix" that kind of things... I just think it's a morbid ideia...

I'm not hating Gen V as much as I did in the beginning, I'm getting more used to it and learning to like it, but I still don't think it's better than any other previous gen, specially gen 4.
You didn't like that a lot of gen 4 pokes are based on generic animals. Well, the reason I started to like Pokémon is because I love animals...

Finally, no hating for Mamepato but it looks dumb with such big eyes compared to Starly. And Emonga is basically a pachirisu with wings. Still, I don't hate it but its face looks too much like Pachirisu... It's just that Pikachu clone thing every gen must have...

JacobeTheElf said:
Geez Tarazuma, you write a lot! ( that wasn't offensive; it was a compliment. I give you credit because I am easily distracted--hey is that a yeti outside my room--I mean good job!) Anyway I still don't understand how people hate this generation. I mean all the pokemon are very unique (except for mamepato) and look pretty good in my opinion.

Agreed.Every Pokemon has its ups and downs,and is what many people don't really care about and/or get. :p

Starly line was awesome especially starly and staravia staraptor ruined it. Gen 4 was awesome almost every single Pokemon was awesome just like gen 3. Anyway gen 5 so far is pretty awesome i just hope they keep the rest of the designs really good like the ones in gen 4 and 3.

Metalizard said:
You keep saying most gen 4 is crud and bla bla but you listed so many gen 4 pokémon you liked you could have built a team with them actually... and there were older gen's pokémon to catch too so...

Most of the gen 4 Pokemon I liked were either no good in game, meaning I wouldn't be able to get through the gyms with them, or they were too hard to catch (Beequeen), or they were encountered too late in the game, including the post national dex stuff. And yes, there were some old Pokemon, but I didn't like any of them either, except Golduck. In any case, half of my favorites from Gen 4 are post-national dex stuff, and there was no way I was going through the trouble of having view entries for the crappy Sinnoh dex, just to be able to obtain then in the game, and then do what? There was no Battle Frontier, no minigames involving Pokemon, absolutely nothing in D/P.

Metalizard said:
Do you really think an egyptian sarcophagus is a cool ideia for a Pokémon???? Claydol is cool, Bronzong is cool, Legendary Golems are kind of cool. Spiritomb is cool. Rotom and its forms are REALLY cool. Sarcophagus -> Not cool! It's like "let's make a pokémon based on a coffin. What's next? Oh, let's make a pokémon based on a crucifix" that kind of things... I just think it's a morbid ideia...

Like it or hate it, Desukan is at least more ORIGINAL then a bunch of crappy cutsey mammals, plants and fish. And it's not just a coffin, it's a ghost inside the coffin. Might as well have a problem with all the ghost types then, since they are all "morbid". I guess you hated Pokemon Tower in RBY >>

Are you kidding me Metalizard? Deskugan is my favorite pokemon (besides dragonite) EVER! I personally think that a ghost coffin is one of the most original and creative ideas ever. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Tarazuma said:
Most of the gen 4 Pokemon I liked were either no good in game, meaning I wouldn't be able to get through the gyms with them, or they were too hard to catch (Beequeen), or they were encountered too late in the game, including the post national dex stuff. And yes, there were some old Pokemon, but I didn't like any of them either, except Golduck. In any case, half of my favorites from Gen 4 are post-national dex stuff, and there was no way I was going through the trouble of having view entries for the crappy Sinnoh dex, just to be able to obtain then in the game, and then do what? There was no Battle Frontier, no minigames involving Pokemon, absolutely nothing in D/P.

Metalizard said:

Like it or hate it, Desukan is at least more ORIGINAL then a bunch of crappy cutsey mammals, plants and fish. And it's not just a coffin, it's a ghost inside the coffin. Might as well have a problem with all the ghost types then, since they are all "morbid". I guess you hated Pokemon Tower in RBY >>

DP had nothing after E4, but that what Platinum is for... That's why I always prefer the 3rd version, it has all of the previous pair games and even has some extras...

I don't have a problem with ghosts, most ghost pokémon have cool ideias. Perhaps "morbid" wasn't the best word to describe my dislikeness for Desukan. I actually hope there's a good-looking ghost in that coffin, I just don't like the sarcophagus ideia itself... We have only seen its back but it almost looks like the Pokémon is the sarcophagus itself...

I don't think we are ever going to see the ghost inside of the coffin. I could be wrong, but I think that whatever is inside that coffin will be a mystery forever... Anyway, I can't wait to see Deskugan's front sprite and his KS artwork.

(off topic) Tarazuma, your avatar is pure awesomeness. Did you make it yourself?

Well yeah, Platinum did have more stuff, and included the expanded Sinnoh Dex with some actual good Pokemon like Houndoom, and all the evolutions of past gens. So I suppose I could play Platinum if I really wanted to.

JacobeTheElf said:
(off topic) Tarazuma, your avatar is pure awesomeness. Did you make it yourself?

Nope, I found it on a japanese image site lol. It combined my 2 favorite Pokemon so I had to use it lol.

And yeah, I am desperate to see Desukan's artwork as well O_O

Just wanted to say that I agree with Tarazuma's extremely long post on the previous page.

^ Yay!

Also, I'm looking at the poll results now, it seems like Gen 3 is the highest, with Gen 1 and 5 almost tied for second, and 4 is dead last. Guess my opinions on the gens aren't too far off from the popular opinion after all, lol.

same here and desukan is completely original. an ancient sacophagous(bad spelling) that has several ghosts inside with the power to move and attack while remaining safe is cool. its just as original as rotom and the others.
2nd gen would be higher up if in hgss it let us evolve magmar, electabuzz, leafeon etc. that was the one thing sinnoh had over johto.

frostwind said:
same here and desukan is completely original. an ancient sacophagous(bad spelling) that has several ghosts inside with the power to move and attack while remaining safe is cool. its just as original as rotom and the others.
2nd gen would be higher up if in hgss it let us evolve magmar, electabuzz, leafeon etc. that was the one thing sinnoh had over johto.

I was mad about not being able to get my leafeon in ss. D: But I agree (as I said in my previous posts) that deskugan is very original.

i think 5th gen is looking great. all pokemon either look great ior average(pidgeon). just like all but 4th gen. what pokemon did you not like from each gen?

I just find it funny how most people were disgusted at Desukan's design when it was first revealed, and now all of a sudden everyone's in love with it. Same goes for Mijumaru. Isn't it weird how someone's opinion can change just like that *clicks fingers*.

Timeshift said:
I just find it funny how most people were disgusted at Desukan's design when it was first revealed, and now all of a sudden everyone's in love with it. Same goes for Mijumaru. Isn't it weird how someone's opinion can change just like that *clicks fingers*.

Woah, I don't know anyone personally who thought that, but I certainly wasn't one of them.

I personally had a fangirl-gasm and vowed to pre-order the games the second I saw Desukan's back sprite. That's because I love ancient Egyptian related things, and I've always wanted an Egyptian themed Pokemon.

Though, I admit one thing. While not "in love" with Mijumaru, I don't mind it as much now, but ONLY because of the high chance that it may evolve into a water/fighting type, so it at least has some originality. But I didn't "get used to it" as some people might say. In fact, I still hate the Piplup and Chimchar lines, as well as Torchic and Combusken. EDIT: I also kinda dislike the Cyndaquil line. I can't "get used" to something I hate and would have to spend most of the game staring at, especially knowing theres soooo many better designed monsters I could have, but can't access until the end of the game when there's nothing to do.

I still hate Pokabu for now, but I will reserve my final opinion for it's fully evolved form, in the end that's all that really matters anyways. But if Mijumaru dosen't become a water/fighting type, I'm gonna hate it as well >>

always liked all the pokemon. some more then others but i never hated any of them.

Back