What's the meta like?

nabby101

Needs a new user title.
Ok, so I kind of stopped playing Pokemon around the time HGSS was released, so I've missed 2/3/4 sets or however many. So I have two questions:

1. What's the current metagame like?

2. What's a good deck to build?

Mostly SP dominated (Dialgachomp, Luxchomp, Sablock with or without Blaziken or Luxray), Gyarados, Vilegar, and hints of Magnerock.

A good deck to build is Blazray. I'm a supporter or underused decks, and I think Blazray is just a great deck, but very underplayed.

To awnser your first question the current meta game has A LOT of SP but at my states in the masters division I saw a lot of donchamp/ straight machamp and yanmega prime with machamp. (Though I'm not really sure how that last one works.)

And to awnser you second question if you play SP theres a big list of decks I'll name a few of them: luxchomp, dialgachomp, luxape, BLG, toxitank and sablelock. (if that counts as SP) But if you dont play SP theres donchamp, yanmega, jumpluff, vilegar, gyarados, tangrowth CoL, magnegatr, magnerock, straight machamp, mewpherior and mew toolbox. Thats all I can think of.

Ah yes, SP's dominating. That pretty much sums up the last two years of Pokemon. I didn't think Gyarados would stick around that long though, it seemed too gimmicky to me. What exactly is Magnerock? Magnezone and Regirock? I will be happy the day Machamp rotates out. So not too much new stuff in the metagame except Magnerock and new SP variants. And Vilegar (I think I've seen that).

So. What deck to make... not SP, they're annoying, I probably won't play something like Sablelock, nor any form of Macheap. Gyarados was never a deck that appealed to me, nor was Jumpluff. I will never in my life run a deck with Mew, so that leaves...?

-Vilegar
-Yanmega
-Tangrowth (Someone enlighten me, which one and how does it work?)

Oh yeah I heard about the new rules. You can play supporters now on T1? And Rare Candy is no longer good?

It's terrible.

Lostgar and Vilegar are vaguely popular. There's also a lot of Dialga/luxchomp. Gyarados too. And the occasional Machamp prime or whatever.

Candy can't evolve basics in to stage 1 and can't be played during the turn you bench the Pokémon.

I recommend playing whatever you have the most fun playing, the meta is so terrible you may as well just have as much fun as you can instead of stressing about countering it.

I'm thinking of:
Promogon
Mothim swarm
KGL

Just cuz they're fun.

THe most popular decks are:
LuxChomp, DialgaChomp, Sablelock, Machamp, and Gyarados.

THe lesser popular decks that are still around are:
Scizor, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Absol/Mew, LostGar, and VileGar.

to answer question 2, I still think LuxChomp is BDIF to build. It's consistant, and doesn't really have any "autolosses". DialgaChomp or Machamp are probably your next best options (machamp depending on how popular gengar/sp are in your area.)

How many Lux GL Lv.X do you need for LuxChomp? 'Cause I got one. But if you need 2 for the deck, I don't want to shell out $50 for another copy when I can trade mine for half of another deck.
So I'm thinking either Vilegar or LuxChomp, even though I despise SP's.

Can someone give me a decklist for each? Or at least a skeleton?

Honestly, the metagame has been about the same since HGSS. I suppose the only new decks would be Machamp Prime/Donphan Prime and Lostgar. BDIF is still definatly LuxChomp, with Gyarados and something else a while behind. Just be prepared for when B/W rules kick in, when Sabledonk will probably dominate.

EDIT: Some decks use 2 Lux X's, some use one. It depends on the metagame, but I forgot which decks you need to run more for though. For decklists, go search through the Deck Garage I suppose. I'm not good with either.

Wow was just checking prices, Garchomp X (out of the format) is $25, but Garchomp C X (one of the best cards in the format) is only $5. Weird. Will Luxchomp be dead after the rotation?

The SP Garchomp X is so cheap because it was in a tin thing. Assuming the format rotates out Platinum: Base Set, then yes, Luxchomp will die. Most of the SP Tools will be gone, and I believe all thats left is Cyrus's and SP Radar. VileGar's gonna die too due to the SF Gengar being rotated out (probably).

Oh, that sucks. What decks will be around after the rotation, other than stupid donk decks?

Looking at the Luxchomp lists, most decks run Uxie X, which I don't have, and it's $60. The rest seems to be fairly easy to get.

You'll want to run a 3-1 Luxray GL Lv.X line if your meta is HEAVY Gyarados. Definitely not recommended if there's next to none because Luxray can usually handle one or two Gyarados decks off fine with a 2-2 line for being more consistent.

dmaster out.

Maybe I'll just go rogue with some cards that I already have, and then quit when the rotation happens and the meta will be full of donk decks. I'm thinking Kingdra Prime with Gengar, and Crobat G's and stuff.

Magnezone will be around once the rules change hits. It'll still hit like a truck, too. And it's an inexpensive deck that is a lot of fun to play.

I have a lostgar deck built but I only really use it for tournies....I enjoy going rogue way too much to stick with one deck someone else made. the game's boring if I'm playing someone else's deck. I make a new deck every few weeks because I get bored too easily. I lose a lot against people running the meta decks but I'm enjoying the game the way it's supposed to be played.....building your own deck.....so to me that's all that counts. Eventually lostgar will be really good once the speed of the game slows down with the sp and donk decks getting rotated out, so I'm just going to sit on that deck for serious play and just pick at it a little while waiting for it to be good. until then I'm just going to enjoy the game.

recently I looked into charizard from arceus and built a deck around that guy. my first pure fire deck and I'm loving it atm. You could pretty much base a deck around one good pokemon (take your pick from dozens) and you'll do fine outside of tournies.

Ya know, GhostBear's not too wrong with what he's saying. Personally, I go rogue cuz im not a fan of being into what people play. SP are pretty much kickin' straight ass.. but it's whatever. I play Straight water decks and i have a mamoswine deck, with a lot of little nits and tricks. Playing whatever you wanna just play works fine, just remembering what the meta is and whats gonna come at you is a bit important too.

Tangrowth works like this:

3-3-1 Tangrowth Lvl X

All the Tangelas and Tangrowths are COL. Tangrowth has only one over used attack. Grind. 20 Damage for each ENERGY not energy cards, attached to Tangrowth. 4 DCE = 160 Damage. Pretty beast if I do say so myself (I run it). Tangrowth Lvl X from Arceus allows for three things:

Its power Healing Growth. Choose one of your Pokemon (more often than not, Tangrowth). Flip a coin, if heads, remove 4 damage counters
from _______

Big Growth, his attack which allows for the re using of Energy in your discard. The attack allows you to take all {G} Energy out and attach them in any way you like to all (or just one, again Tangrowth) your Pokemon.

Lastly, the extra 20 HP. He has 190 when all is said and done. Heres how it works:

Tangrowth has a base HP of 110
Tangrowth X, having 130 HP boosts it up by 20
Expert belt (Which should be run as a staple in this deck) increases damage and hp by another 20
Shaymin X (Land Forme) inscreases it by 40 more.

110 + 20 + 20 + 40 = 190

2-2 Sunflora HGSS

This guy searches out the {G} Pokemon out of your deck. Pretty usefull

1-1 Metapod HGSS

Gets rid of the weaknesses on all {G} Pokemon. Thats usefull against Zard.

1-1 or 2-1 Landmin X

+ 40HP to all {G} Pokemon excluding Shaymin? YES PLEASE!!! Hes a staple in this deck.

1-1 Vespiquen UD

A condtional tech. IF Garcheap C X and Luxcrazy GL X is used in your area. Try this guy (or should I say girl) out. The Pokebody prevents all DAMAGE, not placement of damage counters (VERY IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER) done to your benched {G} Pokemon. Really conditional, only use if Bench Sniping is in your area.

That about sums Tangrowth up. Hope this helped.

Just a heads up Garchomp X isn't out of format. Its from Majestic Dawn, which is JUST still in format.

Oh my bad I thought Garchomp X was in MT. Interesting style - a ramping deck. There's not many of those in Pokemon any more. Although good luck getting all 4 DCE on a single Pokemon. Leafeon X could probably be run in that deck too... interesting. Thanks for the help!

Back