BW/BW2 What would you think if trio-types were introduced?

Would Trio-types make the game...

• Total voters

pokedude101

Scizor Rules The Land
What would some of your opinions be if a new trio-type was introduced? Personally, I think it may make the game a little too confusing, but others may enjoy the new strategy brought to the game.

Honestly, this is one change I can't see working out well. Three types on a single Pokémon adds unnecessary layer of complexity over the type system, and even then, I'm not certain how the math works out. Does a Rock/Steel/Electric Pokémon take x6 (x2 + x2 + x2) or x8 (x2 * x2 *x2) damage? Conversely, does a Ground/Rock/Ghost-Type take 1/6x or 1/8x damage from a Poison attack? How about a Poison/Fighting/Dark Pokémon? Is it immune to Psychic attacks due to its Dark-Type or does the double weakness of the other two types to Psychic cancel it out? What sort of monstrosity would a Steel/Dragon/Ghost be?

if there was a trio type flygon could have bug type (hence it's a dragonfly) but than again it could be flying to

Lol it doesn't complicate. for triple weaknesses the math would be 2 x 2 x 2 or 2^3 which is 8 and in case a type have an immunity it would be 2 x 2 x 0 = 0, in other words, the immunity prevails.

i've always thought some pokemon deserve a third type for example poor garchomp he can fly but is stuck with ground and no levitate.

It might be cool at first, but then it would be confusing and hard. What about past pokemon? Would they have new type added? I thought of trio types too, but it's just too complicated.

What? Can't even hear of it!

Think of Dragon/Ghost/Flying...
Still, I don't think they will make trio-types. :3

No. Also think about competitive battling. It would suck. Imagine if Tyranitar or Scizor got 3 different STABs. Everything would have ridiculous type coverage and be completely overpowered. It's also just a terrible idea.

6-Dimension said:
No. Also think about competitive battling. It would suck. Imagine if Tyranitar or Scizor got 3 different STABs. Everything would have ridiculous type coverage and be completely overpowered. It's also just a terrible idea.
Yeah, I agree, but what if neither Tyranitar nor Scizor got another type and they stayed dual-type? Then another pokemon might be given an extra type that could help counter both of those sets.

Of course it can be done! There's no reason they shouldn't! (Of course, there's no reason they should...)

Although I will say, Pokemon is unique in that way as every other game with elements either has 0/1 per character or as many as necessary.

I still think that, if we're going to end up with Triple typed pokemon, Nintendo should have at least 3+ pokemon of every possible type combination.

And could you clarify with your second statement, Pokemaniac? I don't follow.

Carrottime said:
I still think that, if we're going to end up with Triple typed pokemon, Nintendo should have at least 3+ pokemon of every possible type combination.

And could you clarify with your second statement, Pokemaniac? I don't follow.

Sure. In most games, each character either only has 1 element(type) or none at all, or there is no limit on the number of types, allowing for like rainbow creatures and stuff. Nothing too important.

Well at least it would solve the Charizard problem of not being Dragon type, that seems to be brought up a lot.

CyndaquilMaster said:
Well at least it would solve the Charizard problem of not being Dragon type, that seems to be brought up a lot.

The reason Charizard is not a dragon-type is because it's a starter. It would give people way too much incentive to choose him and the other two would be neglected. Chances are we'd never get a dragon starter unless all three were dragons, which would really mess up the whole triangle thing.

Gyarados on the other hand, I could totally see being dragon. Kingdra's had the monopoly on water/dragon far too long.

Personally I think it would make my brain hurt to try to figure stuff out at x6 or x8 (Good news is pretty much anything would be a OHKO at that point) but I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually.

Back