What will people be running at Regionals in the Spring?

God7Fish

Aspiring Trainer
I'm going to be competing in the regional championships this spring. I was wondering if anyone can give some insights as to what they will be running in the tournament. I was thinking reshiram {R} zekrom {L}. I try and stay away from EX Pokemon, if they get knocked out you loose twice as fast!

RE: Tournament Strategy 2013

LOL! I don't wanna come across as a horrible Pokemon, and I want to tell you this... Zekrom/Reshiram aren't that great, I'd suggest using EX's, because only EX's work against EX's.

How to win:
Draw well off N.

In all seriousness, EX cards are the way to go. EX vs. non-EX = bad whereas EX vs. EX is sort of equal. Zekrom and Reshiram (especially Reshiram) will easily be knocked out by EX cards such as Keldeo EX.

God7Fish said:
I'm going to be competing in the regional championships this spring. I was wondering if anyone can give some insights as to what they will be running in the tournament. I was thinking reshiram {R} zekrom {L}. I try and stay away from EX Pokemon, if they get knocked out you loose twice as fast!

Most of the people won't have any idea what they are going to play yet. We are still finishing up City Championships and have Winter Regionals in a few weeks. The biggest reason why though is we will get a new set in February, so some people might know, but most people will end up using some cards from the new set. Especially since Plasma will bring so many new variables into the metagame.

exdarkrai01 said:
Most of the people won't have any idea what they are going to play yet. We are still finishing up City Championships and have Winter Regionals in a few weeks. The biggest reason why though is we will get a new set in February, so some people might know, but most people will end up using some cards from the new set. Especially since Plasma will bring so many new variables into the metagame.

umm...what?
Regionals are in January, the next set is realeased in Febuary. So it won't affect anything to do with Regionals.

As for a deck, don't stay away from EXs. If you don't use EXs, don't expect to do well. I don't want to sound mean, but its true. Our format is dominated by EXs, and they trample over any deck not using them.
If you want to run Zekrom, try building an Eelekrik deck, using Zekrom as a counter to Sigilyph would be fine (though there are some other options). Mewtwo/Eels should be fairly inexpensive to build since Mewtwo now comes in a tin. I'd be glad to help if you need a list as well. :)

God7Fish said:

exdarkrai01 said:
God7Fish said:
Ah, I see.
In that case, most decks will be centered around Lugia EX, Klinklang (plasma) or be different Darkrai or Eels varients.

Keeper of Night said:
Ah, I see.
In that case, most decks will be centered around Lugia EX, Klinklang (plasma) or be different Darkrai or Eels varients.
Dont forget Keldeo/Blastoise:)

Pokepower22 said:
I have a feeling that most stage 2 decks, other than Klinklang, and maybe Hydreigon will be a very rare sight. 2 prizes when they get KOd by Lugia? Even Eels will have a hard time, even though they have the advantage against Lugia's weakness.

RE: What will they be running at Regionals in the spring?

thanks for the info, a list would be great,

I don't think Ex vs. Ex is always equal; for example heatran Ex vs. Keldeo Ex is clearly one sided, and as I mentioned before you loose twice as fast.

Knowing that these other tournaments are going on is a plus, I guess the plasma will be new to everyone. The prerelease for where i live takes place on Feb 2nd so ill have a few days to prepare before the spring regionals.

I guess it all depends on what i pull. I try not to buy a lot of cards off of ebay or other website to build decks. As much as I love the TGC it can be an expensive hobby ;)

EXs will be used, EXs will win. Any deck not using EXs will not do well.

Keeper of Night said:
Pokepower22 said:
I have a feeling that most stage 2 decks, other than Klinklang, and maybe Hydreigon will be a very rare sight. 2 prizes when they get KOd by Lugia? Even Eels will have a hard time, even though they have the advantage against Lugia's weakness.

Er, Japan plays a format based almost solely on speed, and often, the big basic, EX heavy decks that do well here, do even better there. However, Blastoise/Keldeo has been doing very well, especially with the new Black Kyurem EX (not the one we got in Boundaries Crossed, that one still sucks) dropping 200 damage on any Pokemon it feels like. There is literally no way that our metagame which is leaning towards labeling Blastoise/Keldeo as the BDIF will change in a way that the deck drops off of the face of the earth when Plasma Storm comes out.

P.S. Lugia EX is doing nothing in Japan. It's not winning in any age divisions. And most Eels decks run 0-1 Lightning Pokemon, with Zekrom being included sometimes as a Sigilyph counter.

You can't base everything off results from Japan, we get cards at different times then they do, and often their sets get split into 2 of ours.
I won't try to argue any more that Blastoise isn't good, but Lugia will impact the meta in some (potentially major) way.

Keeper of Night said:
If you want to run Zekrom, try building an Eelekrik deck, using Zekrom as a counter to Sigilyph would be fine (though there are some other options). Mewtwo/Eels should be fairly inexpensive to build since Mewtwo now comes in a tin. I'd be glad to help if you need a list as well. :)

What's the point of running Eels anymore when Darkrai/Hydreigon is BDIF? If you play Eels you will lose badly unless you run Rayquaza EX with 4 Prism Energy in it, by the time you try to setup a fully charged Zekrom EX to Catcher up their Deino or Hydreigon to KO with Strong Volt they will already have enough board advantage to throw everything back in your face without getting KO'ed with Max Potion, Sigilyph, Terrakion, and Sableye (Junk Hunt) waiting to ruin your day not to mention Darkrai potentially getting 2 prizes off of Night Spear on an Active Eelektrik and a benched Tynamo.

Card Slinger J said:
What's the point of running Eels anymore when Darkrai/Hydreigon is BDIF? If you play Eels you will lose badly, by the time you try to setup a fully charged Zekrom EX to Catcher up their Deino or Hydreigon to KO with Strong Volt they will already have enough board advantage to throw everything back in your face without getting KO'ed with Max Potion, Sigilyph, and Terrakion waiting to ruin your day.
lol, Darkrai/Hydreigon isn't BDIF. :p

But if he REALLY wants a deck based around Zekrom or Reshiram, he has the choices of either Emboar or Eelekrik. Which would you pick?
I was trying to listen to his interests.

Sorry I'm just butthurt that 3 out of my 6 rounds at Cities was nothing but
Darkrai/Hydreigon and lost against every one of them with a crappy 2-4 record running Raikou/Eelektrik/Mewtwo. As you could tell I've been out of the Pokemon TCG loop for a long while, I take it Blastoise/Keldeo is BDIF right now? Sure he's got a choice but Dynamotor just isn't that great of an ability anymore when you have decks that abuse Max Potion, Sigilyph, and other tactics that deny your opponent from taking any prizes.

I would say Blastoise/Keldeo and Darkrai/Landorus (as well as something else, maybe even Darkrai/Hydreigon) are tied for BDIF. It boils down to preference.

Keeper of Night said:
I would say Blastoise/Keldeo and Darkrai/Landorus (as well as something else, maybe even Darkrai/Hydreigon) are tied for BDIF. It boils down to preference.

Mewtwo/Landorus is still BDIF. Blaspony only comes after any Big Basic rushdown deck when it comes to "BDIF" talk which should be done in a different thread.

But yeah, when it comes to Spring Regionals, Basics and Blastoise and Dark Hydreigon are all that you're going to see.

What's the point of running Eels anymore when Darkrai/Hydreigon is BDIF? If you play Eels you will lose badly unless you run Rayquaza EX with 4 Prism Energy in it, by the time you try to setup a fully charged Zekrom EX to Catcher up their Deino or Hydreigon to KO with Strong Volt they will already have enough board advantage to throw everything back in your face without getting KO'ed with Max Potion, Sigilyph, Terrakion, and Sableye (Junk Hunt) waiting to ruin your day not to mention Darkrai potentially getting 2 prizes off of Night Spear on an Active Eelektrik and a benched Tynamo.
[/quote]

Why would you put Prism Energy on Rayquaza EX, you need to discard basic fire or ele to do Dragon burst, not special energy. And good luck drawing all four Prism Energy before another dragon takes you out.

Keeper of Night said:
Card Slinger J said:
What's the point of running Eels anymore when Darkrai/Hydreigon is BDIF? If you play Eels you will lose badly, by the time you try to setup a fully charged Zekrom EX to Catcher up their Deino or Hydreigon to KO with Strong Volt they will already have enough board advantage to throw everything back in your face without getting KO'ed with Max Potion, Sigilyph, and Terrakion waiting to ruin your day.
lol, Darkrai/Hydreigon isn't BDIF. :p

But if he REALLY wants a deck based around Zekrom or Reshiram, he has the choices of either Emboar or Eelekrik. Which would you pick?
I was trying to listen to his interests.

I'd prefer Embor, Tynamo is just too weak to have in a deck, Don't want to risk drawing only Tynamo on the first turn and have nothing else on the bench. Embor will still post a good comeback to Sigilyph

Back