XY What should the difficulty be of future games?

catutie

Ahhhhh back.....er....kind of
Now that we have the hard setting in black 2 and white 2 should they keep that setting? Also should they make it available from the beginning? Or should they just make the game more challenging?

Personally I would want a setting that makes the computers actually competitively hard, as if you were facing a human opponent. Having held items and EV trained pokemon and competitive move sets, not just higher level through the game.

Also should they keep the easy option? Should they make if easier?

I haven't tried the easy setting but the game is already easy as it is. They could have an active tutorial that says what the pokemon your facing is weak against and the best move to use or the best plan of action to use. It would really help out new ones to the series.

Thoughts?

RE: Difficulty of future games.

I think the level of difficulty they had in B/W and B2/W2 was perfectly acceptable. The gyms and elite 4 were hair-pullingly frustrating if you didn't prepare your team properly. The only real complaint I have regarding difficulty in the games is the Pokemon carried by the average trainers. I mean come on, a trainer with 3 Wurmple and a Silcoon? That doesn't seem realistic or challenging.

Some Loser said:
I think the level of difficulty they had in B/W and B2/W2 was perfectly acceptable. The gyms and elite 4 were pretty challenging if you didn't prepare your team. The only complaint I have regarding difficulty is the Pokemon actually carried by the trainers. A trainer with 3 Wurmple and a Silcoon doesn't seem realistic or challenging.

They had some weird stuff like that in hgss. They would have a guy with a good team and then like a level 6 voltorb as his last pokemon, never understood it.

Trainers should be like the ones before a gym leader, I hate running into that guy with 6 magicarps 0-0

Definitely.... they need to make this standard to choose and from start too.

Also, Id personally make it so you can only play "set" on hard mode.
I mean the stupid "opponent will use geodude, do you want to play god and throw a mudkip at him before he even chooses?"-thing.

@catutie:
that 6 magikarp person might be there to give you a ridiculously minor speed boost for your ingame team (since they all give speed EV)....or its just gamefreak trolling. I like trainers with unexpected stuff xD

I think that there should be a difficulty setting right from the start. So that people who know nothing can have it at normal setting and the ones (like me) who have played almost every pokemon game could put it hard.

Mitja said:
Definitely.... they need to make this standard to choose and from start too.

Also, Id personally make it so you can only play "set" on hard mode.
I mean the stupid "opponent will use geodude, do you want to play god and throw a mudkip at him before he even chooses?"-thing.

@catutie:
that 6 magikarp person might be there to give you a ridiculously minor speed boost for your ingame team (since they all give speed EV)....or its just gamefreak trolling. I like trainers with unexpected stuff xD

"Oh another fisherman, maybe he will have something to give me alot of experience...6 pokemon....wait....first one is magicarp.....second magicarp FUUUUUUUUU 6 MAGICARPS?!?! How do you operate? Do you just lose all the time? How did you even train a magicarp to level 25?!" -me

I hate those and when I'm going through the main game, I don't EV train, so it's just another reason to throw my ds against the wall :p

How hard should they make it? I mean they could make it impossible hard lol

I find them funny XD

But its not that bad.... for every troll trainer there is 3 trainers that have interestingly themed teams in the games ;)

I didn't mean intentional EV training, I never EV train on a playthrough, but I still switch all the sweepers into the battle if I figure I have a dozen speedy opponents to fight next (you know, their best stat is how the EV they give are determined usually)

The standard trainers need to have stronger pokemon, or at least stronger levels.

The wild pokemon should also be stronger, it takes way too much time to train when the pokemon are 5 or more levels below you, but you are also way below the levels of the next gym.

frostwind said:
The standard trainers need to have stronger pokemon, or at least stronger levels.

The wild pokemon should also be stronger, it takes way too much time to train when the pokemon are 5 or more levels below you, but you are also way below the levels of the next gym.

One thing that I loved with this game was that they made breeders rebattlable after you leave the area.

I hope they make a trainer with level 100's or at least 90+

They definitely need to step it up in terms of difficulty, the games have been too easy for the most part. In general, this is what they need to do:

-Have the option of difficulty setting available from the start. The way they did it in BW2 was absolutely counter-intuitive because it was difficult to use at the beginning of the game (you had to have a friend who had completed a specific version of the game (Black 2 for Challenge Mode, White 2 for Assist Mode) send you the key at the beginning) and defeated the purpose of having it in the first place.
-Have the computer players use tougher and more complex strategies. Especially for "boss" trainers like Gym Leaders/Elite 4, Rivals, evil team admins and leaders, etc. There's very little challenge coming from the AI in the main games, they primarily rely on brute force strategies that are easy to counter, and the gym leaders typically end up spamming whatever TM move they give out when you beat them. Let's see something more complex and strategic. Let's see them buff their stats like Cheren does in BW2. Let's see them take advantage of the secondary effects of moves, like how Lenora uses Retaliate to revenge kill your Pokemon. Let's see some strategies that force you to come up with clever strategies of your own.
-Choose Gym Leader/Elite 4 rosters more carefully. Give them tougher Pokemon of a particular type, not just generic ones. Give them Pokemon that can counter Pokemon that have type advantages, resistances, or immunities to their type. For instance, in a Water type gym they need to have Water/Ground or something for Electric types, and Water/Ice for Grass and Dragon types. Don't just give them a bunch of generic Water types that any Electric or Grass type can just blow through (I'm looking at you, Marlon, your entire roster is an utter joke to my Serperior who can Leaf Blade them all to death).

So yeah, the games could stand to be a lot tougher. And it's a shame that they're not, because there's so many different strategies you could use throughout the game and you don't really need them, you can just blow through the game by using brute force and type matchups.

I think the levles for the gyms in BW2 were perfect, but they needed more variety and maybe another pokemon in their teams (like they added with Hard Mode).

Gym Leaders need to be more like Lenora and Whitney, where they strategy actually works out well while still relying on the moves given. Retaliate was a killer and Attract+Rollout is probably on of the biggest terrors of Johto.

I would like to see the different Gym Leaders battle differently depending on the type they specify. A Fire Type Gym Leader would probably still use brute force, but a Poison Type Gym Leader would be setting up Toxic Spikes, Toxic, and other forms of slow torture. The same goes for admins and Elite Four members.

Also, I'm hoping they keep some of the good ideas of BW, namely the 2 rivals and being able to decide how you take on the Elite Four.

2 Rivals would give a ton of experience and well-balanced team, switching off every town or something. They could be childhood friends with special parents like the son of the professor and the daughter of the Champion.

And I want to bring back the idea of having the Elite Four consist of a Single Battle, Double Battle, Triple Battle, and Rotation Battle. People are way too reliant on Single Battles and this would mean that both you and the Elite Four would have solid teams that work well together.

catutie said:
I haven't tried the easy setting but the game is already easy as it is. They could have an active tutorial that says what the pokemon your facing is weak against and the best move to use or the best plan of action to use. It would really help out new ones to the series.

Yeah, that'd be nice, but I'd even like the return of the FRLG help system. I don't usually need it, but having type effectiveness a few button presses away is very handy.

SH49er said:
I think that there should be a difficulty setting right from the start. So that people who know nothing can have it at normal setting and the ones (like me) who have played almost every pokemon game could put it hard.

This is all fine and good, but I believe the reason they didn't do this in BW2 was so they could leave the possibility of two friends playing through the games together, occasionally battling along the way. Give the option for easy and hard modes at the start and you horribly throw off whatever balance the two would have in battle.

Bolt the cat-
Firstly, the key thing was so....uhg....they need to stop with the pointless "look you can connect with people" gimmick, like white forest and black city. It can be awesome or it can be a wasteland that is pointless depending on if you have someone to connect to.

They tried a little in b/w b2/w2 with some of the gym leaders, the first gyms used work up and if it started sweeping....it could sweep like a boss. Then Lenora was really good actually, if they didn't give me those chesto berries it would have been harder, and her retaliate was very powerful. Then the psychic chick in the e4 and her masharna were pretty good, yawn, then reflect, then dream eater you to death. Also alders volcarona uses quiver dance. If they made the gym leaders and champions like the pwt tourneys then it would be hard (I don't get why I can't beat that, it should be that hard, I got swept by a venomoth.....why?!)

They do that a bit, they may not be able to counter it all but most of the fighting e4 guys had stone edge, the psychic chick had focus blast and close combat. I do agree that it should be more and they should have colorful and challenging rosters (like blue, he had a hard gym, it was everything)

Frostwind-
Something interesting they did in b/w with the first gym, they make you fight your weakness, I loved this. It actually made it hard....if they didn't give you the gym leaders weakness >_>. But also the levels were high as heck. Honestly I try to evolve my starter before the first gym in every pokemon game (grrrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnnndddddddding)

Oh god Whitney.....actually I wouldn't mind if they did make annoying and difficult gym leaders again (I made an annoying combo, whimsicott with prankster then attract/leech seed/toxic/giga drain, it's caused so many rage quits from friends) if they even just did that, then I would be happy....and annoyed.

Fire would play with burning and special attack, fightin might be all brute force but that can be interesting too. Have the gym leaders also use good items, life orbs, choice bands, choice scarf. They can make it actually hard and make you work for the badges

I don't know, I always found the rival that took the starter your strong against to be useless, the other one gave me a challenge (cheren....I hate you) but the other was always a joke (Bianca sucks). Maybe even make it like Gary and have one of your rivals be the champion at the end. It was a surprise and it was also very hard. I found rival battles harder than gym leaders

What if they made the e4 and champion battles mixed battles.....you choose a pokemon to use of there's and they choose one of yours.....that would be hard

I also try to evolve my starter before the first gym. Maybe they just need to put dark grass from the get-go so people can start training up better. I would of liked to see the Triplets have a Triple Battle, like the Double Battle Tate and Liza had back in Hoenn.

Yeah, we need gym leaders that are frustrating. I always thought of them as the Boss Battles of the game so they should be annoying and require new strategies instead of spamming the newest move.

So what if every type focused on different things? We could have a Fire focusing on burns, Electric focusing on Paralysis, etc. This way, the player has to get used to different strategies like status conditions and maybe even weather statuses.

The other trainer would need to have a better team with one or two pokemon that were strong enough to take down your starter.

Elite Four members kind of need to stick to their own type and it wouldn't really be fair to just swap pokemon unless everyone was at the same level.

catutie said:
Then Lenora was really good actually, if they didn't give me those chesto berries it would have been harder, and her retaliate was very powerful.

It's Retaliate that's the real problem with Lenora, that move is OP as hell for the 2nd gym (base 140 for a revenge kill? Could this battle get any more broken?).

catutie said:
Then the psychic chick in the e4 and her masharna were pretty good, yawn, then reflect, then dream eater you to death.

I've never had that happen.

catutie said:
They do that a bit, they may not be able to counter it all but most of the fighting e4 guys had stone edge, the psychic chick had focus blast and close combat. I do agree that it should be more and they should have colorful and challenging rosters (like blue, he had a hard gym, it was everything)

The Elite 4 always has moves that counter their weaknesses, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking more like how Elesa has an Emolga to use against Ground types. It's way too easy when their entire team is weak to one type, so they need to fix that by including Pokemon that can counter their weaknesses. Give the Water type gym leader Water/Ice and Water/Ground to counter the player's Grass and Electric types. Give the Poison type gym leader Poison/Dark and Poison/Water to give Psychic and Ground types some trouble. Give them teams that are harder if not impossible to sweep through.

frostwind said:
I would of liked to see the Triplets have a Triple Battle, like the Double Battle Tate and Liza had back in Hoenn.

If they were later in the game, I'd say yes, but the first gym is too early to introduce Triple Battles, it would be too complicated for new players that are just learning the game, plus there's not enough diversity of Pokemon at that point in the game to form a team of three Pokemon that could adequately support each other.

Pokemon Blue Kaizo (it's a rom hack of Blue; Google it) is far and away the hardest Pokemon game I have ever played and the difficulty of it should be the standard to which all Pokemon games are held to.

(Also, shameless plug for Blue Kaizo, even though it's a rom hack it is tremendously fun despite being balls-to-the-walls hard, everyone needs to play this game)

frostwind said:
A Triple Battle or Double Battle later one would be a good challenge though.

It would, but that's not the point. They couldn't have given the Striaton Trio a Triple Battle unless they put them later on in the game.

What I'm really surprised at is that they didn't let you Triple Battle them post game in BW2.

PMJ said:
Pokemon Blue Kaizo (it's a rom hack of Blue; Google it) is far and away the hardest Pokemon game I have ever played and the difficulty of it should be the standard to which all Pokemon games are held to.

(Also, shameless plug for Blue Kaizo, even though it's a rom hack it is tremendously fun despite being balls-to-the-walls hard, everyone needs to play this game)

>Standard Nuzlocke rules

Yeah, no thanks. Nuzlocke is great and all for someone who needs an extra challenge, but it's too restrictive to be standard.

Who said anything about nuzlocking it? I mean, if you have a fetish for pain and suffering, you can, but this game is PLENTY hard without trying to also nuzlocke it. A guy actually did it, so it is possible, but it's not recommended.

PMJ said:
Who said anything about nuzlocking it? I mean, if you have a fetish for pain and suffering, you can, but this game is PLENTY hard without trying to also nuzlocke it. A guy actually did it, so it is possible, but it's not recommended.

I must have found it from that guy, then. I thought he was claiming the game forced Nuzlocking.

Anyway, that'd still be a bit ridiculous. I mean, giving your rival Mew? Really? That's too broken.

Back