Fun What is your favorite deck?

I have to say my top 5 favorite decks are probably:

5. Jolteon/Vileplume
4. Volcanion/Starmie
3. Eelektrik/Friends
2. Night March
1. Seismitoad

I'm also loving Jolteon/Glaceon right now. I'm surprised this deck hasn't become as prominent as it is promising, because it's incredible. I also just had the cards for this one sitting around magically, so I've been using this one too. It actually performs really well, better than one may expect, and actually lives up to the first glance versatility that it offers, but has seemingly been overlooked by others. I might be using this at cities, or maybe the M-Audino deck...

I'm also loving Jolteon/Glaceon right now. I'm surprised this deck hasn't become as prominent as it is promising, because it's incredible. I also just had the cards for this one sitting around magically, so I've been using this one too. It actually performs really well, better than one may expect, and actually lives up to the first glance versatility that it offers, but has seemingly been overlooked by others. I might be using this at cities, or maybe the M-Audino deck...

Have you considered running Vileplume in that deck to help counterract the effects of Pokemon Ranger?

Have you considered running Vileplume in that deck to help counteract the effects of Pokemon Ranger?
Vileplume is in the deck, actually, and has done its job well when counteracting that annoying card. I only have 2 of them, and it probably is enough, because it's doing its job well, and seems to turn up at the right time (most of the time I'll start with it).

Contrary to your belief in Goudon, I have a better liking to Primal Kyogre EX. Especially in expanded format last year. It was extremely easy to attach enegry , and coupled with Suicune, it was a semi-impressive deck. It was also my first deck that I built for 2015.

Right now my favourite deck is probably my dark deck (2 Yveltal EX, 1 Darkrai EX, 2 Fright Night and 2 Mew FTC as my attackers), I just find that it's pretty fun to play for a competitive deck and doesn't really have a lose condition to anything rn since Lightning isn't a thing (for now). Second to that would be my M Mewtwo deck just 'cause I like dealing tonnes of damage :p

I'd also include M Ray in that list, however I only have 2 Shaymin for now, so I can't afford to build it :( another deck I haven't built yet but probably will is fairies (3 PRC megas and 1 STS mega for the Mewtwo matches). I loved the idea of Brilliant Arrow since it came out with PRC so I'm happy there's still quite a bit of support for fairies (despite losing Aromatisse).

My personal favorite is M Rayquaza-EX. It was one of the first competitive decks I ever built, and I've been using it since it came out. Although, I do have a soft spot for Yveltal-EX as well.

I've been playing since the HGSS on format, and over that period of time, theres plenty of decks that have been favorites of mine.

Lets start off with CMT(T). To think Celebi Prime only costed about 3 bucks before Mewtwo EX's release is absolutely insane, and to think that a single card could reach prices of 70$ at the time was practically unheard of at the time (for me at least, of course im speaking about Mewtwo EX). Once Dark Explorers came out, terrakion became an even more amazing addition to the deck, as well as Tornadus EX. It was truly a powerhouse, and was my first (and obviously one of my favorite) competitive decks, due to its near unlimited damage output.

After the BW-on rotation, I played Darkrai EX decks for the next two years. I still play turbo darkrai in expanded to this day, and if I had to pick any deck out of the three I'm mentioning, turbo darkrai has to be my absolute favorite. With cards like Max Elixir, Dark Patch, and Computer Search, it really is possible to hit numbers like 180 by turn 2, and the deck honestly seems to have everything perfect going for it! Keldeo EX helps solve the ever-annoying laserbank, hoopa ex is a great tool to start setting up, shaymin ex for draw support, as well as yveltal ex and both baby yveltals (I only run Keldeo EX and a single copy of Fright Night yveltal, although I do love oblivion wing yveltal). To tell the truth, theres very few pokemon that have been printed in my time as a player which have had a lasting impact on every metagame since their release. If I had to list any, other than Shaymin EX, I would without a doubt say that Darkrai EX has been the most impactful pokemon printed since HGSS. Thats just my opinion though, in no way would I want to discredit cards like Mewtwo EX NXD, Keldeo EX BCR, and Seismitoad EX *shivers*.

In the BCR-on format, I ran variants of Big Basics, even up until XY was printed... where a "Big Basics" deck won nationals. EVERYTIME I see that article explaining how "Big Basics" won worlds, and how Raichu from XY Base was a valuable part of the deck, I cringe. ITS CALLED BIG BASICS FOR A REASON!!! Truly though, Landorus EX is a monster. Not to say that I exclusively ran Big Basics though, I also experimented with Landorus Bats, and I still have a xy-sts version of Lucario Bats which is very very very fun to play.

In the XY-On and up until Breakpoint was printed, I ran Seismitoad Giratina. I still play this deck in expanded at times, where cards like laserbank, computer search, and now special charge, make this deck even better. Once breakpoint was printed, I immediately started playing Darkrai Giratina Garbodor. After a month of running many different variations of the deck, and a lot of tweaking, I emerged with a list only 3 cards away from what the Juniors world champion used. Those differences were a 4th DDE rather than a 10th Dark Energy, a third Darkrai EX over a second baby yveltal, and 2 Parallel City rather than a 1-1 split with Reverse Valley.

Anyway, as I said, if I had to pick any one favorite deck, it would be Turbo Darkrai. Since the deck emerged in Dark Explorers, all the way to its modern variations, I've been running and have fallen in love with this deck.

Right now in expanded for league challenges I really love trevenant break with a 2-1-2 line of gengar. Water decks with rough seas is sometimes a problem but with a couple delinquent it gives me extra outs to win the stadium battle. With the gengar and the 30 damage spread, I feel dirty taking out a wailord-ex or primal groudon with just creep show. It isn't a powerhouse deck, but still fun to play.

MegaMan will always have a place in my heart, having played that for Nationals the past two years. VirGen is also up there, playing that for the bulk of the 2014 and 2015 season before MegaMan was released.

I also have this old PlasmaKlang build that I had fun throwing off TDK players with in 2013? Wow. So many decks!

I would say Dragonite-EX Bats, but this new Trevenant-EX Retreat lock deck I've made is so fun to play

I started playing just after Plasma Freeze was released, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with decks before the NXD-On format. However, for the formats I have played in I do have some favorites.

NXD-On: Zoroark DEX/ Darkrai EX
BCR-On: Flareon and Friends or Yveltal/Raichu
XY-On: Vespiquen/Vileplume
PRC-On: Yveltal/Mew
Current Expanded Format: Accelgor/Wobbuffet
Legacy Format (HGSS-BWLTR): Magmortar/Emboar/Shuckle

This is really difficult for me. I'll usually take apart a deck I don't like within a month if I don't enjoy playing it (notable examples include Keldeo/Blastoise and Landorus EX/Hawlucha FFI/Lucario EX), but I have these favorites that will stay with me for a while.

Flareon PLF
Vespiquen before it was cool. Now they are used together, but I've never played Vespiquen (I don't have the money for all those Shaymins), so my 2013-2014 season deck takes a spot here. In hindsight, this deck was really clunky, even for the time. There were, however, two techs that I was fairly proud of: two Leafeon PLF instead of the occasional one and Landorus EX. The second Leafeon was teched in to cover the Yveltal EX matchup, and it really worked (note that this was the sad time in between the Pokemon Catcher errata and Lysandre). As for Landorus, that was only there because of the abundance of RayEels my league had. Speaking of which...
Rayquaza EX DRX/Eelektrik NVI/Thundurus EPO
Ah, my first competitive deck. I don't have much to say about this deck other than one word: NOSTALGIA. The Rayquaza/Keldeo Battle Arena decks filled me with joy because of the inclusion of the two integral pieces of this now dead deck. And more promo Ns. While DRX RayRay has now been replaced with Raikou BKT in Expanded to decent amounts of success, this deck will always be one of my personal favorites.
Greninja BREAK
You're all probably far too familiar with this deck. Runner-up at Worlds, winner of Expanded Regionals in Phoenix, this deck has prevailed through all sorts of hardships. My current deck for tournaments in Standard (WobBats for Expanded League Challenges) and will be modified for Philly Regionals (shh, don't tell anyone). This deck gives you so many tech options to counter whatever is doing well that isn't Greninja and just plow through everything... that isn't Vespiquen. Overall, while I don't want to be a broken record repeating the praises some of you preach, I just looooove this deck. But not at much as my all-time favorite deck...
Serperior FCO/ Ariados AOR/ Roserade DRX
Okay. I know. After hearing about three meta decks old and new, this weird... GrassBox? (I don't have a name for this thing, I just call it Serperior) will be a surprise, but hear me out. This deck is okay at best, but the main reason I love this so much is simple: I designed this from scratch. It's my baby. The day XY10 scans got out, I was in love with Serperior. I had to make this work. And it put in work, taking two League Challenges and winning over top decks such as Vespiquen/Flareon, Trevenant BREAK, and most recently, Rainbow Road. This deck isn't very consistent due to the techy nature, but there are so many options. Roserade's Le Parfum Ability allowed me to use Rock Guard over Computer Search for my ACE SPEC. Ariados allowed Serperior to technically deal 170 damage with a Muscle Band. Virizion and eventually 3 Revitalizers allowed an endless flow of Serperiors. AZ allowed for a disgusting amount of Le Parfums and Serpentine Strangles per game. This deck is cheap, fun, and easy to learn, and those are qualities that make for a pretty damn memorable deck.

My fave decks to play of all time were
1. keldy/toise original rare candy version
2. pika-ex/raikou magnezone (with friends any cards allowed base set and up) with junk arms and superior energy retrieval it was gnarly!
3. raichu variants

Right now in standard i like volanion and i have a raichu/fright night yveltal deck i love to play. when fright night works it reaally wooorrkks lol :) and raichu is just decent enough to clean up and handle most match ups

I really like to play Vespiqueen + Yanmega currently.
Otherwise i'm playing Legacy Format with Blastoise+ Keldeo and a MewEx+Flareon Decks.

I'm personally rather fond of my Rainbow Road build. It's a bit different from the other ones I've seen, and it works very well in Standard. In Expanded, I like Mega Manectric-EX. It's simple, straight forward, and uses two of my favourite types.

Now, for what I guess would be Unlimited, I watched a tournament once at a local anime convention about... Five? Six? Possibly even seven years ago, and it only had one Basic. It was a Lickitung stall deck. It was super neat, and apparently very annoying.

image.png
The only deck where you can actually manage Shaymin EX out of the bench without a Stadium.

I would say Mega Rayquaza (Dragon) and Mega Gardevoir (Brilliant Arrow Hybrid) tie for this.

Mega Gardevoir is my current deck, and it deals heavy, potentially one hit damage from turn three and plays Shaymin without its big downside due to Despair Ray, which also deals with Psychic decks real well and is essential in comebacks.

I went 2-1-0 today in a tournament (where I only battled rogues and competitive decks, Despair Ray, Raticate and Greninja BREAK) with my list I've been testing and polishing for a while now. I also played a Mega Gardevoir deck almost a year ago but it was much worse because I was less experienced and the list has wierd picks in it like 16 energies and 3 letters I recall.

Anyway, my current list stands at the following:

Pokémon (14)
Gardevoir EX PCL x4
M Gardevoir EX PCL x2
M Gardevoir EX STS x1
Xerneas XY x4
Shaymin EX ROS x3

Trainer (36)
Fairy Garden XY x3
Brock's Grit EVO x1
Lysandre FLF x2
N NVI x3
Professor Sycamore XY x4
Gardevoir Spirit Link PCL x4
Mega Turbo ROS x4
Switch <1> x3
Trainer's Mail ROS x4
Ultra Ball DEX x4
VS Seeker PHF x4

Energy (10)
Fairy Energy x10

FAQ: I play three Switch mainly for the turn one Geomancy I cannot pull off without attaching the fairy energy for the turn to Xerneas (so I cannot attach to my starter and retreat through Fairy Garden and I do not run Max Elixir).

Back