What is the definition of "Mint" condition?

Bitwise

Aspiring Trainer
As a new collector, I'd like to know how "Mint" condition is defined. Same with "Near mint" and all the other conditions commonly used about trading cards.

Can someone help me with this?

sendoh

Aspiring Trainer
It differs a lot from collector to collector. Some collectors would define Mint condition cards as others' Near Mint/Mint cards, or even Near Mint, while some would define Mint as having absolutely no flaws whatsoever. As a general gauge, these are PSA's grading guidelines. They are professional card graders.

AmishEskimoNinja

Hating durant since 11/16/11
Here's my definition based on years of trading:

To a trader: Mint means no obvious flaws
To a collector: Mint means perfect. flawless. Exactly in the condition as pulled out of the booster.

Hence interactions between traders and collectors are often stressful.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
AmishEskimoNinja said:
Here's my definition based on years of trading:

To a trader: Mint means no obvious flaws
To a collector: Mint means perfect. flawless. Exactly in the condition as pulled out of the booster.

Hence interactions between traders and collectors are often stressful.

That's definetely true. I've recieved a lot of cards from players they think that's mint condition only to find some scratches or other things they couldn't see... really annoying...

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Shining Raikou said:
Mint - Lightly handled, no imperfections, dings, or wear. May have been traded once or twice. The card seems to have been in a sleeve and toploader most of the time since it was pulled from a pack.

Near Mint - A minor imperfection or scratch on the card. No other signs of wear or damage.

Good - A few light scratches or minor imperfections. No other signs of wear or damage.

Fair - Edges worn slightly, many scratches or a major imperfection.

Poor - Heavy damage to the edges, holofoil and/or card body.

Untradeable - Cards that have been bent, ripped, torn, through the washer or similar. Cards with the text worn off and fake cards also fit under this rating.