What changes would you like to see in the TCG

kwisdumb said:
I hope I'm not repeating anything, but these are some things I'd like to see changed in the TCG...

- A better guarantee in packs/boxes. I'd like to see a guarantee 1 Rare, 5 Commons, and 4 Uncommons in a pack. I'd also like to see one of those cards be a Holo, and at least one be a trainer. I'd also like to see a guarantee of 2 Lv. Xs in a box.

- I'm not sure how many league leaders/owners post on this forum, but a complaint I've had for a few months now is the changing of the way league leaders report and order for league seasons. For those who aren't familiar, at the end of each league season a league leader has to send a report to Pokemon USA with how many players participated in his/her league seasons. The number of players reported affects how much prize support the league leader receives. In the past, a name, birthday, and POP ID was all that was needed to report a player. In the past few months Pokemon USA has changed the rules so that only players with accounts on Go-Pokemon can be counted towards a player count. What this means, essentially, is that a player who doesn't have internet access, or who's parents won't let them sign up, etc. does not get prize support.

- More useful cards, and less over the top cards. I don't know if anyone here shares my thoughts, but I've noticed that out of the 100 cards (let's use that as an example) in any given set, only 20-30 are ever used competitively, with a handful of those becoming part of the meta game. What I'd like to see is an increase in the number of cards that are useful, and a decrease in the number of cards that spawn crazy combinations, etc. I respect that the game is very competitive, and I use competitive decks, but overall I'd like to see deck building become more of a challenge and see competitive players have a larger pool to draw from, without the non-competitive players being absolutely stomped out for not playing the meta.

- Competitive starter decks. In my experiences I've seen a lot of kids who are interested in the game, and buy a starter deck, only to get crushed by more competitive players, and never play again because they're so embarrassed and have been turned off from the game. Ideally I'd like to see these decks come with a fairly good deck that maybe has been used in the meta, and instructions on the most viable way of running it.

Good thread, I'll contribute more later!

Yeah, I would love to see competitive decks. The closest thing that there ever was is that Blaziken/Gardevoir deck set thingie majig. But even that wasn't all that great(I bought it myself), and there was also this "Legendary Collection" thing with 3 decks of Typhlosion ex, Feraligatr ex, and Meganium ex from Ex Unseen Forces, and those were probably alright.

What's so bad about reverse holos people?! They give you a chance of getting 2 rares/2 rare holos/1 of each in a pack, and It's cool having your regular rares, uncommons, and commons holographic. However I wish reverse holos couldn't be rare holos, because that DOESN'T make them look better at all.

I agree, starter decks needs to be better.

And I know that it's been said already, but Machamp and Rampardos need to be banned, the game does not need cheap (both ways) moves like that, it is unhealthy to the game, and turns people off.

No more reverse holos is my wish.
They also need to do away with donk decks, those annoy me.

Clear said:

And I know that it's been said already, but Machamp and Rampardos need to be banned, the game does not need cheap (both ways) moves like that, it is unhealthy to the game, and turns people off.

My Drapion beat a Rampardos. :D

Seriously...they're tough to beat, but not unwinable (well, unless you're Regigigas).

i would like to see a special energy card for every type.

so, thats said, metal and darkness have a huge advantage in that area, and i think thats unfair.

It's actually not the big of an advantage. Metals and Darks usually have low HP (Tyranitar excluded :p), so the specials make up for it. They're also roguish decks, and are rarely seen. Darkrai boosted the popularity of Dark Types, and no such luck for metals.

And making special energies for each type could break the game. {R} energy could mean auto-burn. {G} could mean poison. {P} is confusion. {L} is paralyze. {F}...I'm not sure. {C} has...nothing. :p

There you go.

The Fallen One said:
It's actually not the big of an advantage. Metals and Darks usually have low HP (Tyranitar excluded :p), so the specials make up for it. They're also roguish decks, and are rarely seen. Darkrai boosted the popularity of Dark Types, and no such luck for metals.

And making special energies for each type could break the game. {R} energy could mean auto-burn. {G} could mean poison. {P} is confusion. {L} is paralyze. {F}...I'm not sure. {C} has...nothing. :p

There you go.

{G} : if you attach it, the opponents active get's poisoned
this effect doesn't work if the pokemon this energy is attached to isn't the same type as this energy
{W}: in between turns, remove 1 damage counter from the pokemon it's attached to, you can't use more then one
this effect doesn't work if the pokemon this energy is attached to isn't the same type as this energy
{L}: if you attach this energy to your active {L} pokemon you may flip a coin, if heads, place 1 damage counter on each of your opponents pokemon.
{F}: you can discard special {F} energy from the pokemoj it is attched to, if you do, the pokemon special {F} energy is attached to does 20 more damage to the defending pokemon, special F energy still counts as an F energy for the attack. you may also discard special F energy during your attack.
{R}: when you attach special {R} energy to one of your pokemon, you may search your discard pile for one basic {R} energy card and put it into your hand.
{P}: when you attach this card to any of your pokemon you can choose to have your opponent shuffle his or her hand into his or her deck, and draw 4 cards from his or her deck, or you can choose to have your opponents active pokemon poisoned.
{C}: when you attach this card to any of your pokemon, you may discard any other type of energy from your hand, the pokemon you attached this energy to is now the same type as the energy you discarded untill the end of your turn. you can attach this energy to any of your pokemon, and it doesn't matter if that pokemon is {C} type or not.

The Fallen One said:
Clear said:

My Drapion beat a Rampardos. :D

Seriously...they're tough to beat, but not unwinable (well, unless you're Regigigas).

I just played Rampardos this weekend for the first time, and I am just amazed how consistent it is in mid-game, unlike Machamp who need to hack their Hurricane Punches. Doesn't get walled by a Mime with a G... etc. etc.

It's not meant to donk, but the 1 Energy for 80 is why its consistent in mid-game even if you used all your Uxies.

Woops. I forgot that it went down to the last prize, and Rampardos won. But only because I couldn't get Drapion out till midgame. That's the power of the Scorpion. :D

But...80 damage for 1 energy is overpowered, backlash or not.

I also like to mention that I used both Claydol and Uxies, not just one or the other, rampy needs consistent draw power to get their Fossil Excavators out nice and fast, by mid game, the field should always have 2 Rampardos/Crani, ready to go. If the Fossil base dies, save Fossil Excavators for them. Generally, you want to use may be 1 Excavator to get the first one set up, and use Luxury/Bebe's to find the rampy. Then save the rest to dig for fossils, you could even run it without TSDs.

I even do nice even 50s with Pluspowers to avoid to backlash.

It's just... busted.

Of course, I'm all for the ditch the stupid reverse holo format. I collect both the Japanese and English TCG, and I am getting more and more downheartened whenever a new english set comes out turning the gorgeous Japanese sets into a load of, well honestly, tripe.

What I'd personally like to see as changes to the english TCG:

- Change the box pull rates.
Holy Arceus this needs to be addressed. With each set having approx. 5 new level X cards, and also now Shiny Cards and Reprint cards, they need to do something more than just 1 shiny, 1 reprint, and maybe 2 level X cards if you're lucky.
My recent DPt2 Limit to the Bonds of Time boxes from Japan, I pulled 5 ultra-rares from one box, and 6 from the other. I only missed 2 Level X cards, the Pluto Trainer, and 2 Rotoms. But that set had an insane number of cards to begin with in terms of URs. I've pulled a full set of Ultra-Rares from DP4 and 5 boxes, heck I've pulled THE WHOLE SET from a box.

- Revision of Ultra Rare Holographic print and glossy coating bought over from Japan
I think this says enough as it is. :|

030.jpg
032.jpg

e09.jpg

I'm betting 10 dollars all the Rotom cards will be reverse holos, since they take the filler of shiny cards in this set. The current Level X holo print is disgraceful in the US TCG with most of them being rather...well... non-holo. Raichu and Dusknoir from Stormfront come to mind, along with Platinum's Giratina Level X.

- Changing the current pack set up.
Come on, do it like Japan. 1 Holo, 2 Rares, 5 Commons, 3 Uncommons. Most shiny cards are white-mark common or white-mark uncommon, making it possible to pull an Level X and a Shiny in one packet. In DPt1 Galaxy's Conquest I pulled a Level X and a Reprint in one hit. UP THE PULL RATE I'M SICK OF BUYING TWO ENGLISH BOXES AND GETTING ONLY ABOUT 60% OF THE SET IF THAT ARGH.

YEAH I have some frustrations about these sets. Yep.

- HOW ABOUT THOSE VS DECKS, USA
Yeah, the Giratina vs Dialga deck? Infernape vs Gallade? they're all fairly awesome playable deck kits. Good for starting. WHY NOT RELEASE THEM instead of cannibalizing them into a set. Make them exclusive to deck. Ugh. Instead of releasing soddy decks with an incentive of getting a card from the main set as a holo instead of non holo WOW. How about "ALL THE CARDS ARE EXCLUSIVE BUY OR NEVER HAVE" it makes me buy it at least. But I'm OCD like that, I like things being done the same. I just don't know why they don't do it, they'd seriously make more money from it which MEANS THEY'D BE AT LEAST HAPPY, and we'd be happy with our packs having holos.

Graaaagh. Frustrating topic for me as a collector.

Back