What Books are You Reading & What Do You Like About Them? Book Reviews Encouraged!!

I've read the Percy Jackson series and some other small books by Riordan, and I wouldn't describe him as 'phenomenal'. Sure, he has a nice sense of humor and his characters aren't bad, but that's about it. And he isn't very good in Greek myths... trust a Greek on that.

I would have to disagree on Rick Riordan not following the myths very well, even if you are Greek, I highly doubt that automatically qualifies you in the matter of Greek Mythology. Now if you have studied it or have been exposed to it a lot, which is highly likely, I'm sure, then by all means mention that. But your nationality has nothing to do with whether you know anything about the area's mythology. For example, I live in an area that was heavily populated by Native Americans, but I don't know a single thing about the local tribes culture (this is not a perfect example, sorry. Apples and oranges I'm sure). Granted, I should, it is important to US history, but still. I feel that he does have a very good understanding of classic Greek mythology, even if he takes license to change some things. These changes are necessary to the series because he is introducing completely new elements to the mythology as a whole. I think that it is because of his understanding of Greek mythology that he is able to make these changes to traditional ideas seem so seamless and smooth, at least to me. Every difference is explained in an, again, in my opinion, obvious manner. I do want to say that I was exaggerating when I said "phenomenal" writer. I'm just excited to finally have a new book to read. Phenomenal would be more like C. S. Lewis or J. R. R. Tolkien. However, they won't be writing new books any time soon.

Now, I realize that this qualifies me as an expert on Greek Mythology about as well as being born in Greece does, but I have read Edith Hamilton's "Mythology" and also The Odyssey and Iliad, among many other books on Greek and other mythologies, including Norse and Egyptian. This has given me a very good, working knowledge on at least the basics of Greek Mythology.

Having studied Greek Mythology since a young age, I know kind of want to read some books by this guy and see what I think of it. :p

Currently re-reading The Hunger Games trilogy before the movie comes out later this month. This is super lazy reading for me, but it's a nice change of pace; I wanted something kind of light before I dive into my next reading project, which is rereading the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I haven't touched in over a decade and therefore remember almost nothing* except that I do remember liking it but that it was very dense and hard to get into at first.

* - one of the very few nice things about having a very faulty memory is that, years later, I can pick up a book and go "hey, I remember liking this" and then re-reading it all over again and enjoying it just as much as the first time.

MtheW said:
I would have to disagree on Rick Riordan not following the myths very well, even if you are Greek, I highly doubt that automatically qualifies you in the matter of Greek Mythology.

You're right on that and I'm sorry I didn't make a mention. Yes, I have studied Greek myths thoroughly-I literally grew up with them. So don't take my criticism as totally correct because I'm a bit preoccupied, sorry. To be honest, compared to many other writers who have used similar subjects, Riordan is actually way better. I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and I don't like mistakes/changes in myths of any country :). Even the fact that I've read Riordan is something, as I normally don't read stories which use old myths of any country in the modern era.
I'll stick to my idea about Riordan being phenomenal, though. I do consider him a decent writer, but for aforementioned reasons, I wouldn't call him phenomenal.
Again, I'm sorry for sounding like a biased jerk before.

Not a big deal at all, and I did correct myself regarding whether Riordan is phenomenal. He isn't really. Anyway, I am currently enjoying Blindness by Jose Saramago. Will elaborate later.

Elaboration: I am enjoying this book because I recently finished The Plague by Albert Camus. They are very similar books, and I guess I am just enjoying this kind of flavor lately. Anyway, they are both about plagues affecting single towns. In The Plague it is in fact the Bubonic plague, while in Blindness citizens are going blind and no one knows why. So both of the titles are very literal, but I think this is more a representation of the time period in which they were written. I recommend both of them, and they can both be found online in pdf files if you wish to read them for free (legally). Just great books.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I am currently reading this classic and while the beginning is rather dry it does start to get interesting when they board the ship to hunt the whale. I love the whole premise of the submarine and how they are their own sovereign nation and created their own language. The way everything is described in vivid detail is just perfect for me.

My rating: 4 Gardevoirs / 5 Gardevoirs

Back