Help What are Pokémon Abilities in the TCG Most Like?

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Are they usually more similar in mechanics to Poké-Bodies or Poké-Powers? I'm wondering, since Bodies and Powers had clearly different mechanics, while "Abilities" just sounds like a generic feature.

IMO, they should have re-named Bodies and Powers to Body Ability and Power Ability, that way there'd still be a clear difference instead of having to read the card to find out if it's aggressive or passive (presumably).

They have been making things more and more like the video games to make things simple. I much rather prefer Poke-Power and Poke-Body since they were easy to work with. To be honest with you though, I don't have a problem with Abilities. The activated Abilities are Poke-Powers and the passive or static Abilities are Poke-Bodies. Vileplume would be a Poke-Body and and Shaymin-EX would be a Poke-Power.

To make things easier, if it says "Once per turn" or "as often as you like/want" its a activated ability and if it doesn't, it's a passive ability.

They have been making things more and more like the video games to make things simple. I much rather prefer Poke-Power and Poke-Body since they were easy to work with. To be honest with you though, I don't have a problem with Abilities. The activated Abilities are Poke-Powers and the passive or static Abilities are Poke-Bodies. Vileplume would be a Poke-Body and and Shaymin-EX would be a Poke-Power.

To make things easier, if it says "Once per turn" or "as often as you like/want" its a activated ability and if it doesn't, it's a passive ability.
I still think they should have made the distinction between them clear, as all Abilities in the video games are passive, so having active Abilities be a thing in the TCG, with the same name as passive is dumb. :/

I still think they should have made the distinction between them clear, as all Abilities in the video games are passive, so having active Abilities be a thing in the TCG, with the same name as passive is dumb. :/

They should but that isn't entirely true. An Ability like Politoad's Drizzle is an activated Ability since it causes an effect when it enters battle and a Ability like Mega Pidgeot's No Guard is a passive ability since it doesn't requires interaction from the player. There are some examples like Oricorio's Dancer Ability which is an active-passive effect since it triggers when a dance move is used.

Back