Vileplume from Undaunted (#24) [10/12]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
24-vileplume.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. On it's own, the card has a heavy retreat cost, average HP for a stage 2, and a weakness to a popular type. Its only attack costs too many energies to really survive. As a main attacker, it is not worth being played.
2. Gengar SF is the card that everyone's running it with, locking trainers in the hand to prevent your opponent from setting while allowing Gengar's attack to hit for heavy damage. It is worth being played as an assistant in Gengar and other trainer-lock decks.
3. Starting with spiritomb from Arceus until vileplume is set up will allow the player to prevent their opponent from using trainers the entire game, from start to finish. This is the typical combination.
4. I'd give it a 4/5 right now, because of it's great trainer locking pokebody that has changed the metagame as we know it. It prevents a lot of decks from being run in the metagame, especially SP decks ( because of their heavy dependence on trainers). The problem is its retreat cost, because if it were to get brought into active position somehow, it'd be tough getting out.
5. The artwork could have been much better. It makes Vileplume. It seems rushed and seems to lack detail.

SIDE NOTE: With vileplume's threat altering the entire metagame, it is very probable that most everyone will soon trash trainers from their decks all together, making vileplume futile. For now, he's a 4/5, but it can very well decrease with the shift from trainers to supporters and warp energies.

1.This is a great card on its own due to its ability to significantly slow down your opponent's progress in setting-up their side of the field.

2.I seen this used in just about any metagame deck you can name, it just works well with everything.

3.I could see this being used with gengar SF to trap trainer cards in your opponent's hand thus increasing damage dealt drastically.

4.I would give Vileplume HS Undaunted a 4.5/5 for usability.

5.For the artwork i would say a 5/5 because i like this less intense style of artwork unlike that of legend cards.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
On It's own it's not good because it's attack and retreat costs are to high. Not worth being played as a main attacker.
VileGar or any other trainer lock deck.
It's great with Gengar and Mismagius(UD) because of their Poltergeist attack. As I said above, you use it in almost any trainer lock deck.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating.
4/5 It is a great card when paired with Gengar or Mismagius & and slows down any SP deck that doesn't have Dialga G Lv. X
5. How's the artwork?
3/5 It's pretty good but the background could of been better.

On its own, it doesn't have much. Trainer locking is good, but lacks serious oomph without assistance. Retreat cost, HP, and Weakness are bad, and the attack is mediocre.
VileGar is used to Trainer Lock so all Trainers stay in your opponent's hand, and Gengar's Poltergeist for big damage.
You can use it with something that has a Poltergeist attack (such as Gengar and Mismagius), or something with a crippling weakness to Trainers.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
3.5/5. Supporters and Stadium's make the Trainer Lock pointless, and a random DGX makes it a bench sitter. But under the right condition, it's part of a deadly killing force.
5. How's the artwork?
It's not the best, but I like how the flowers are drawn.

1.Well this card needs other cards to back it up you usually never attack with this card. Yes in some decks its worth being played.

2.I would say in this meta game.

3.Well you can use this card with the curse gengar but i dont aprove of useing this card with the curse gengar i like it better with machamp and the undaunted mismaguis.

4. I would give this card a 3.5 it can counter sp pokemon but this can be a real slow card ecspeally if you had as your active pokemon.

5. I think its kinda intresting you can see a leaf energy in the art work. So i like it. {G}

It's not worth playing as main attacker, because of its attack cost. If it was {C}{C}{G}, it would've been better, because of Double Colorless Energy. However, while kept on Bench, it's pretty nice.
I know nothing about metagame, so yeah
It would've work very nice with that Gengar with Poltergeist. You can continuously do high damage with it and Vileplume.
4/5. It's pretty nice card, but could've been better.
5. How's the artwork?
I really like it. It's so calm and soft.

1. It's pretty good as a combo, but it can't be played on it's own. There's no way it could stand up with that attack.
2. Excellent combo with Gengar SF, considering that Spiritgar is pretty much the same combo.
3. Gengar SF, but it also combos well with Gliscor, as i've seen.
4. 4/5. Excellent combo with Gengar. Nuff' said.
5. 5/5 Aww... It looks so happy.

1. On it's own, it's pretty slow, however, Vileplume does have the ability to slow down many SP decks dead in their tracks. Weakness wise, Uxie Lv. X's Zen Blade can OHKO Vileplume. Vileplume is better off as a supporting cast.

2. So far, the only deck that I've seen Vileplume thrown in is the ever popular VileGar combo (Vileplume UD + Gengar SF).

3. Again, the ever popular VileGar, preventing your opponent from playing any trainer cards in play, while Gengar racks up the damage with Poltergeist. Also, Vileplume UD can actually be paired up with Bellossom LA. Thanks to Blend Pollen, it does 40 + 20 more damage for every Vileplume and Bellossom in play, meaning that the maxium damage Bellossom can deal is 120 damage for 2 energies, but that would take a while to get all 4 stage 2's in play (Vileplume + Bellossom)

4. 3/5 Honestly, this card is pretty slow and I would be very concerned about Dialga G Lv. X, since he can shut off Vileplumes Body, giving the SP player the opportunity to play trainers. Watch out for the Bright Look + Zen Blade combo. If only Vileplume wasn't a stage 2 Pokemon....

5. 5/5. Vileplume looks so happy in that picture!

Just a side-note, this is my first review ever.
1. This card is bad in my opinion.It has a great Poke-Body tha can ruin decks with heavy trainer lines but the weakness is horrible(not the worst) and the attacks are just decent.Overall it will mostly be a bench sitter just how Nidoqueen is.
2. it is currently in Vilegar(Vileplume and Gengar).
3. Gengar is one in which you Poltergeist to hit large amounts of damage from all the trainers in your opponent's hand.
4. 3.5/5 because they card isn't to great but the Poke-Body is very helpful(Just look at how many Vilegars top decked at Battle Roads
5. The artwork doesn't look to grand so 3/5

This car has a bad attack, but you shouldn't judge it based on that because it is only used for its body in metagame
This card is used in vilegar (Vileplume, gengar).
You can use it with the undaunted mismaguis as a quicker gengar SF
I would give it a 3/5 stars. It has a good body, but it can be bright looked to easily
5. How's the artwork?
I would give it a 2/5 stars. I think it could be more complex
:)

On its own this card is almost total crap beside its Poke-body no good attacks worth using on this card.
I truthfully don't know so I'm going with what everyone else has said: Vilegar (Vileplume Gengar)
Gengar prime seems to work really well with Vileplume, Gengar as the main attacker and Vileplume preventing your opponent from setting up.
I'd say 4/5 it doesn't work well on its own and its pretty slow but with help of other cards this is a great card!
5. How's the artwork?
I personally really like this cards art, although the background could use some work. 4/5

1: Bad. If this is your main attacker, your stupid
2: VileGar
3: Blocks trainers in hand so that Gengra SF/Mismagius UD can do lot damage with poltogeirst
4: 4/5 It's great but Luxray GL lv.X and Dialga G lv.X can stop it. And both of those very pupular in metagame
5: 1/5 Pretty poor

1: 3 energy, max 70 damage is poor, 2x retreat cost...don't play it as active. At least it has 120 HP.
2: VileGar
3: Poltergeist attack of Gengar Sf and Mismagius UD, to do lots of damage. Also it works well in a lock deck, and even with fire pokemon to counter-fight Dialga G.
4: 4/5. Stage 2 means slow set up, but once it comes out is hard to deal to. It has to worry only about Dialga G or to be sniped or bright-looked, but you should have a way to deal with this if you build your deck around it.
5: 3/5. I like the artwork with the stone, but what i prefer seeing vileplume in a more dark context.

Guiding questions:

These card, on it's own, is essentially useless as a main attacker. It has potential as a bench-sitter and if in some rare cases, a secondary attacker. It is worth being played in any trainer lock decks.

Vilegar. It is a major aspect of the deck.

Vilegar, Mix it with Gengar SF. Block your opponent from playing trainers with Vileplume and slow them WAY down and then just dominate with Gengar.

Everyone has essentially covered the basics of the card. The thread receives 5/5
The card receives a 3/5 because the only useful part of it is it's trainer locking abilities.

5. How's the artwork?
It's pretty old school so I give it a 4/5.

Back