Victreebel Line, Tangela from ‘Pokemon Card 151!’

Are you guys really unironically criticizing the fictitious “science” of a world filled with magical creatures? Piss right the f off ffs…
Yes I am because I find it enjoyable to do so. I like how there are things like the Eevee Evolution Lab dedicated solely to the study of Eeveelutions that probably costed whoever made it probably billions of Pokedollars and it hasn't really done much in its purpose of finding out how evolution in the world works because, in my opinion, the scientist in the world are really bad at their job. The Pokemon world is so crazy and mysterious which makes me just love every little bit of insight we get on what life is like within the world of Pokemon. The Pokedex entries are so bad at actually giving good in-depth information, however, they are also really good because it leaves me wondering about each Pokemon and how it all clicks together.

But then again, I'm one of those people who's favorite part of a book is the exposition dump in the beginning.

Oh, that's worse than I thought. I assumed it meant that it would do 120 damage to whatever Pokemon is in the active spot for your opponent at the time so even if they switch, whatever Pokemon they switch into would take damage which still is pretty bad but this is just awful. It's literally a choice for your opponent to take damage at this point.
Defending Pokemon = The Pokemon that was attacked

Yes I am because I find it enjoyable to do so. I like how there are things like the Eevee Evolution Lab dedicated solely to the study of Eeveelutions that probably costed whoever made it probably billions of Pokedollars and it hasn't really done much in its purpose of finding out how evolution in the world works because, in my opinion, the scientist in the world are really bad at their job. The Pokemon world is so crazy and mysterious which makes me just love every little bit of insight we get on what life is like within the world of Pokemon. The Pokedex entries are so bad at actually giving good in-depth information, however, they are also really good because it leaves me wondering about each Pokemon and how it all clicks together.

But then again, I'm one of those people who's favorite part of a book is the exposition dump in the beginning.

I mean, that's the point, no? I think what makes the world of Pokémon engaging in the sense that we're discussing here, is preciselly this kinda "silly", "loose" science that is supposed to make us feel like we're participating in the interesting studies and discoveries of this wonderful world, filled with creatures, and myths, etc. That's why it works, it's not a "solved" world, they drop you in this world and go like "hey, isn't this world magical and interesting? we're studying it to find all about it! won't you join in and help us by adventuring and capturing these creatures?" etc, etc. And since it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek and sorta goofy...sorta magical...you're not supposed to have answers about everything, it's obviously part of the charm that the morons somehow never managed to see what a Tangela looks like under its vines or whatever. Isn't it obvious that if they suddenly started actually solving every "scientific mystery" of the Pokémon world, it would destroy the appeal and we'd lose a tremendous and critical part of the magic and charm that makes Pokémon Pokémon?

TI mean, that's the point, no? I think what makes the world of Pokémon engaging in the sense that we're discussing here, is preciselly this kinda "silly", "loose" science that is supposed to make us feel like we're participating in the interesting studies and discoveries of this wonderful world, filled with creatures, and myths, etc. That's why it works, it's not a "solved" world, they drop you in this world and go like "hey, isn't this world magical and interesting? we're studying it to find all about it! won't you join in and help us by adventuring and capturing these creatures?" etc, etc. And since it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek and sorta goofy...sorta magical...you're not supposed to have answers about everything, it's obviously part of the charm that the morons somehow never managed to see what a Tangela looks like under its vines or whatever. Isn't it obvious that if they suddenly started actually solving every "scientific mystery" of the Pokémon world, it would destroy the appeal and we'd lose a tremendous and critical part of the magic and charm that makes Pokémon Pokémon?
Really well said. Hits the mark of irony.

Last edited:
I mean, that's the point, no? I think what makes the world of Pokémon engaging in the sense that we're discussing here, is preciselly this kinda "silly", "loose" science that is supposed to make us feel like we're participating in the interesting studies and discoveries of this wonderful world, filled with creatures, and myths, etc. That's why it works, it's not a "solved" world, they drop you in this world and go like "hey, isn't this world magical and interesting? we're studying it to find all about it! won't you join in and help us by adventuring and capturing these creatures?" etc, etc. And since it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek and sorta goofy...sorta magical...you're not supposed to have answers about everything, it's obviously part of the charm that the morons somehow never managed to see what a Tangela looks like under its vines or whatever. Isn't it obvious that if they suddenly started actually solving every "scientific mystery" of the Pokémon world, it would destroy the appeal and we'd lose a tremendous and critical part of the magic and charm that makes Pokémon Pokémon?
But i guess part of the charm and appeal is in creating a real enough fantasy for the hyper-imaginative and selling them a good lie. Not a badly cooked lore with visible holes in it. I don't really care though, personally. Not really overly obssessed with silly fiction. More concerned with the strategy involved in the pokemon games.. ??

But i guess part of the charm and appeal is in creating a real enough fantasy for the hyper-imaginative and selling them a good lie. Not a badly cooked lore with visible holes in it. I don't really care though, personally. Not really overly obssessed with silly fiction. More concerned with the strategy involved in the pokemon games.. ??

I'm the complete opposite, I'm all about that fantasy, remove the backdrop and I wouldn't be forced to care about "natures" or "STAB" even if you tortured me with that "pointy sticks under the fingernails" shit.

I'm the complete opposite, I'm all about that fantasy, remove the backdrop and I wouldn't be forced to care about "natures" or "STAB" even if you tortured me with that "pointy sticks under the fingernails" shit.
I mean, don't get me wrong. I do love the pokemon world and its finer details. Just don't really have the time or energy to waste on a place I don't actually live in.. ?‍♂️?

I mean, don't get me wrong. I do love the pokemon world and its finer details. Just don't really have the time or energy to waste on a place I don't actually live in.. ?‍♂️?
I love learning facts about fiction. When I look into a fantasy world I tend to get quite invested into it. I like the world of Pokemon, but I just find it quite shallow so I can't really get too invested into it.
I understand that it's supposed to be a silly fantasy world meant to make some money off the games and a ton more money off of easily merchandisable monsters that appeal mostly to children. I get that looking too deep into something can ruin the fun since relatively simple fantasy worlds such as Pokemon are always going to be full of gaping plot holes and hideous blisters and putting these issues under a magnifying glass won't repair them by any means. However, my issues of it being simple are obviously not seen as bug and instead as feature of the world that make it more intriguing to the audience for most players, yourself included I assume.

But I am not you. I love delving deep into the details and having my questions answered after some time. I don't enjoy a simple world when something like Pokemon should be just as complex as our own, not simpler. I hate it when a game dismisses logical questions with a silence that only leads to my own speculation. You are criticizing me, because I found it amusing that untangling a Pokemon is something that is seemingly easy to deal with compared to acquiring the information that some Pokemon are literally dead children. You claim that my semi-critical view on the world is invalid because the world is in a fantasy setting and doesn't really have science like we traditionally understand it. We enjoy different aspects about the same thing. I don't think there is a "correct" way to look at something that has had such a massive cultural impact as Pokemon because it's way too big to not attract millions of people who feel polar opposites about certain aspects of media.

I love learning facts about fiction. When I look into a fantasy world I tend to get quite invested into it. I like the world of Pokemon, but I just find it quite shallow so I can't really get too invested into it.

I understand that it's supposed to be a silly fantasy world meant to make some money off the games and a ton more money off of easily merchandisable monsters that appeal mostly to children. I get that looking too deep into something can ruin the fun since relatively simple fantasy worlds such as Pokemon are always going to be full of gaping plot holes and hideous blisters and putting these issues under a magnifying glass won't repair them by any means. However, my issues of it being simple are obviously not seen as bug and instead as feature of the world that make it more intriguing to the audience for most players, yourself included I assume.

But I am not you. I love delving deep into the details and having my questions answered after some time. I don't enjoy a simple world when something like Pokemon should be just as complex as our own, not simpler. I hate it when a game dismisses logical questions with a silence that only leads to my own speculation. You are criticizing me, because I found it amusing that untangling a Pokemon is something that is seemingly easy to deal with compared to acquiring the information that some Pokemon are literally dead children. You claim that my semi-critical view on the world is invalid because the world is in a fantasy setting and doesn't really have science like we traditionally understand it. We enjoy different aspects about the same thing. I don't think there is a "correct" way to look at something that has had such a massive cultural impact as Pokemon because it's way too big to not attract millions of people who feel polar opposites about certain aspects of media.
A good fiction or a well constructed fantasy definitely keeps your creative juice running. It not just intrigues, it inspires. ?

Are you guys really unironically criticizing the fictitious “science” of a world filled with magical creatures? Piss right the f off ffs…
wow. how about you cool down first?? why you so serious about this? You mke yourself look silly.

Back