JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Tangela and the Victreebel evolution line have been officially revealed from Pokemon Card 151! As noted before, the set will release in Japan on June 16th. We expect to it release internationally as a special set this fall.
Bellsprout – Grass – HP60
Basic Pokemon
[G] Cut: 10 damage.
[G][C] Bind Down: 20 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, the Defending Pokémon can’t retreat.
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1

Weepinbell – Grass – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Bellsprout
[G] Cut: 30 damage.
[G][C] Spray Fluid: 50 damage.
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Two energy, 240 possible damage. I am surprised this isn't just Poison with 12 counters, which would have a very similar effect without memory problems.
Also, it's WeepinbeLL, unlike VictribeL. The wonders of Gen 1 ten-character limit.

Porygonbail

Aspiring Trainer
I think this Tangela ( the main card, not the fullart, even though that ones sweet too) might be my favorite one yet. How delicate it tries to reach that Berry. Composition is nice as well!

Clam

Almost decent
As if waiting two turns to evolve and attack with a stage two Pokemon wasn't bad enough, now you have to also wait for your opponent to choose if they want to take that extra 120 damage on their active Pokemon or to tank it with another Pokemon.

Sidenote for Tangela, but the fact that according to the Pokedex the identity is obscured by the vines and its identity remains unknown leads me to believe that every single scientist in the Pokemon universe is incompetent. I mean, is it really that hard to get an already-dead Tangela and just untangle (or cut) off the vines and see what's underneath? If it's dead it's not like it can grow new vines. No wonder the mysteries of evolution are still unsolved, nobody in this world knows how to science. It's like the humans made the Pokeball and decided that they peaked and no longer need to learn anything.

WastedSkyPirate

Two energy, 240 possible damage. I am surprised this isn't just Poison with 12 counters, which would have a very similar effect without memory problems.
Also, it's WeepinbeLL, unlike VictribeL. The wonders of Gen 1 ten-character limit.

That's a great bit of trivia!

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel - nah, i dont like it. 3/3/3
Tangela - meh for 80. If I want a single-energy attacker, I want 100+ for single energy, not the one that you have to drag a basic to the bench, just to do 80. 2

Nyora

A Cat
As if waiting two turns to evolve and attack with a stage two Pokemon wasn't bad enough, now you have to also wait for your opponent to choose if they want to take that extra 120 damage on their active Pokemon or to tank it with another Pokemon.

Sidenote for Tangela, but the fact that according to the Pokedex the identity is obscured by the vines and its identity remains unknown leads me to believe that every single scientist in the Pokemon universe is incompetent. I mean, is it really that hard to get an already-dead Tangela and just untangle (or cut) off the vines and see what's underneath? If it's dead it's not like it can grow new vines. No wonder the mysteries of evolution are still unsolved, nobody in this world knows how to science. It's like the humans made the Pokeball and decided that they peaked and no longer need to learn anything.
Pretty sure with the current wording that if the opponent switches active pokemon the effect dies. This card sucks

Clam

Almost decent
Pretty sure with the current wording that if the opponent switches active pokemon the effect dies. This card sucks
Oh, that's worse than I thought. I assumed it meant that it would do 120 damage to whatever Pokemon is in the active spot for your opponent at the time so even if they switch, whatever Pokemon they switch into would take damage which still is pretty bad but this is just awful. It's literally a choice for your opponent to take damage at this point.

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
I like it if one evolution line is drawn by the same artist, but I just noticed the illustrator name "Jerky". I didn't notice the illustration style yet either, because they did not have many cards yet. I'm not sure what to think about it. It is somewhat distinct, but I think with some more details it would look better.

Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
Lol. Delayed acid gets easily countered by a simple switch.. How sad they printed another useless victreebel. Could be fun with Spidops ex tho, I guess.. 😞🪴

edit: they can also evolve to remove the effect. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel - nah, i dont like it. 3/3/3
Tangela - meh for 80. If I want a single-energy attacker, I want 100+ for single energy, not the one that you have to drag a basic to the bench, just to do 80. 2
Tangela could be good against decks that play stage 1/ 2 ex's tho, since they need those 70 hp basics and could have one in their hand. Kinda slows them down a bit while getting an extra prize. Has potential for 1st turn KO. Funny thing about Erika is they would probably bench whatever they have anyways or if they have a full bench, you can't actually use it. So it being a bad supporter in specific situations could hinder tangela. But i still like the 1-energy potential surprise KO. 😊 (If only there is a new item like echoing horn or surprise box that lets you put a pokemon from your opponent's discard pile back into their hand instead. Who knows, they may even come up with a tangrowth with that ability.. 😉)

Also, its actually 70 damage, not 80. And I'm pretty sure gapejaw doesn't work for erika as well, but i could be mistaken..

Last edited:

Porygonbail

Aspiring Trainer

Yeahhhh and the pokedex basically just makes stuff up out of the blue ( as seen by the obviously falsely connected fossil pokemon in Galar having pokedex entries that act as if they really looked that way originally and wherent fraudulent "paleonthology" ), or use myths and legends, wich are just as truthful.

Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
Oh, that's worse than I thought. I assumed it meant that it would do 120 damage to whatever Pokemon is in the active spot for your opponent at the time so even if they switch, whatever Pokemon they switch into would take damage which still is pretty bad but this is just awful. It's literally a choice for your opponent to take damage at this point.
Any effects of attacks with 'the Defending Pokemon' is complete garbage. Could be a fun meme but that's as good as it gets. 😖

Last edited:

Clam

Almost decent
Yeahhhh and the pokedex basically just makes stuff up out of the blue ( as seen by the obviously falsely connected fossil pokemon in Galar having pokedex entries that act as if they really looked that way originally and wherent fraudulent "paleonthology" ), or use myths and legends, wich are just as truthful.
What I find interesting in the Pokedex is the existence of ghosts either being rumored or outright confirmed but the dex is incredibly indecisive on if it wants to present ghosts as fact or myth. If you look at the entries for Phantump you can see that the that in Pokemon Y it's just a rumor of them being dead children but in Pokemon Sun the Pokedex entry just states that they are dead children as if it were a confirmed fact. Which is amusing to me because we somehow outright confirmed (based on your region) that these Pokemon were once humans, but we're still not clever enough to figure out how to untangle a brambly grass-type.

Pokemon Y - According to old tales, these Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in the forest.

Pokemon Sun - These Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died in the forest. Their cries sound like eerie screams.

o7yourdesires

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder how many ARs and SARs will be in this set. Tangela is the 14th AR card here yet the 22nd grass/bug type in the pokedex. Be interesting to see what order special art cards are in. Type or Pokédex number. Though Japanese usually save their big secret rare lists till XMas

dineinunes

Buzzwole Appreciation Account
I wonder how many ARs and SARs will be in this set. Tangela is the 14th AR card here yet the 22nd grass/bug type in the pokedex. Be interesting to see what order special art cards are in. Type or Pokédex number. Though Japanese usually save their big secret rare lists till XMas
most likely they're going for pokédex number for the AR/SARs also, no way they are gonna release 14 grass ARs on top of everything else

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Are you guys really unironically criticizing the fictitious “science” of a world filled with magical creatures? Piss right the f off ffs…