[UPDATED 7/2/14] Need Help For Nationals [VGC 2014]

Check

Definatly Baby Giratina
So this is the team I`m working on while playing the Showdown Simulations and with suggestions I think I have a good team together. Any help would be amazing because I would like this to be my team for nationals.

681.png

Aegislash (Deo) (Male)
Item: Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
Iv`s: 31 HP/31 Attack/ 31 Defense/ 31 Sp. Attack/ 31 Sp. Defense
Ev`s: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Attack/ 4 Attack
Moves -
-King`s Shield
-Flash Cannon
-Shadow Sneak
-Shadow Ball

658.png

Greninja
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Nature: Timid
Iv`s: 31 Sp. Attack/ 31 Sp. Defense/ 31 Speed
Ev`s: 252 Sp. Attack 4 Sp. Defense/ 252 Speed
Moves -
-Extrasensory
-Ice Beam
-Scald
-Mat Block

Greninja is the 1st turn protector and the speedy Sp. Attacker. Mat Block helps when its the 1st turn and your opponent is using powerful pokemon, this helps set up a status or a OHKO on 1 poekmon. The spread of different types of moves helps when the opponent is using a fire move when ice and you switch to water not very effective hit then. Finally Focus Sash because Greninja are not very defensive and it makes sure you get off at least 2 hits on the opponents.

706.png

Goodra (Lavender) (Female)
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
Nature: Modest
Iv`s: 31 HP/ 31 Defense/ 31 Sp. Attack/ 31 Sp. Defense/ 31 Speed
Ev`s: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Attack/ 4 Sp. Defense
Moves -
-Sludge Bomb
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse

Goodra is the special sweeper/wall to the team. Having such high Sp. Defense plus the boost from Assault Vest makes it perfect to take down special sweepers, and Pokémon with low Sp. Defense. With Gooey any move that makes contact slows down the attacker, and then makes them more vulnerable to being hit faster by my attacks. Finally the type spread on her moves can cover most Pokemon with a weakness to them.

479-w.png

Rotom-Wash (Virus)
Item: Sitris Berry
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
Iv`s: 31 HP/ 31 Defense/ 31 Sp. Attack/ 31 Sp. Defense/ 31 Speed
EV's: 252 HP/ 44 Defense/ 60 Sp. Attack / 148 Sp. Defense/ 4 Speed
Moves -
-Thunder Bolt
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder Wave
-Substitute

Rotom is the wall/status starter of the team. Thunder Wave adds in the status fetcher that also slows enemies speed. Substitutes adds in extra defense and stall effect because it can save Rotom form a super effective hit or from being double attacked. Thunder Bolt and Hydro Pump add in powerful STAB and power moves that cover a few types out there. Finally the EV yield on Rotom covers great because he has a Modest nature.

115.png
mega115.png
115-m.png

Kangaskhan (Ka`mi)
Item: Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
mega115.png
Parental Bond
Nature: Adamant
Iv`s: 31 Hp/ 31 Attack/ 31 Defense/ 31 Sp. Defense/ 31 Speed
Ev`s: 252 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 4 Defense
Moves -
-Sucker Punch
-Fake Out
-Power-Up Punch
-Return

M-Kangaskhan is purely a sweeper hands down. Turn 1 out Fake Out to get the target to flinch. Then the rest all depends on what the opposing Pokemon's type is. Her Ev`s help when needing to do extra damage to the opponents and with high HP it can wall for a few turns. Finally with combining Return with Parental Bond that equals for a devastating hit because of max friendship and attack.

591.png

Amoongus (Pwanzy)
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
Nature: Sassy
Iv`s: x HP/ 31 Attack/ 31 Defense/ 31 Sp. Attack/ 31 Sp. Defense / 0 Speed
Ev`s: 126 HP/ 4 Defense/126 Sp. Attack/ 252 Sp. Defense
Moves-
-Spore
-Rage Powder
-Giga Drain
-Protect

Amoongus is a filler because Tyranitar did not work out. Although it is a filler it works well and I might quickly breed another so that it is all perfect. Black Sludge helps in the case I get tricked or magician and they cant use the item. Rage Powder and spore help when wanting your opponents to not attack your attacker. Finally the Ev`s are sporadic and yes I know it`s not flawless but it was shiny and on a dare I trained it.

ReplacementPokémon
663.png

Talonflame (You guys name it)
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Adamant
Iv`s: 31 HP/ 31 Attack/ 31 Defense/ 31 Sp. Defense/ 31 Speed
Ev`s: 4 HP/ 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Moves -
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Tailwind
-Flare Blitz

Talonflame is the same as any other Talonflame pretty much. First if I run slower pokemon I`ll use Tailwind for a speed boost, or I`d use Brave Bird turn 1. Next depending on HP Roost or another Brave Bird. Having Gale Wings means that Talonflame gets Priority for its flying moves, so having Adamant instead of Jolly will give more attack and does not affect speed unless I use Flare Blitz. Finally I`m not sure on Ev`s in speed but if I do need Flare Blitz they should come in handy.

Again I am still taking suggestions and would love help because I would like to get my team fully together before nationals. So I have time to make quick changes the night before with your guys` help.

RE: Need Help For Nationals (VGC 2014)

Calm Florges @ Lum Berry/Leftovers
Flower Veil
IVs: Hp SpAtk SpDef Def Spe
EVs: 50Hp 52Def 100Spe 252SpDef 54SpAtk
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Rest/Wish
-Aromatherapy
Florges is an amzing Specialy Defensive wall capable of dealing with Delphox, Goodra and the likes. Calm Mind for the Special Defense boost and the Special attack which would help with the walling and Moonblast, which will save it from moves like taunt and Phsysical Pokemon like Blaziken and Aegislash. Aromatherapy is to deal with TW from Klefki's and WOW from Rotoms. Rest is to heal up after setting up and to be healed by Lum Berry. It's a Lum Berry in case it gets TW, but replace with a Chesto Berry to have Rest still hidden up your sleeves as it would automatically eat the Lum Berry. You can replace Rest with Wish and Chesto/Lum berry with Lefties and you can Wish pass to anyone else in your team.

Another pokemon I would recommend is Rotom-W as a Defensive wall. You can get a set from my team 'The Great Set-Up.

Hope I helped!

Smeargle can't afford to nor should it set up... Your opponent will be faster and one-hit it on the first turn. Smeargle has 20 base Attack and Sp. Attack. Even at +6, it's not a real monster. Either play an actual Sweeper, a differenet kind of Smeargle or Amoonguss for Spore and Rage Powder. Which one do you want?
For example on Smeargle (Focus Sash): Dark Void, King's Shield, Transform, <???>

What are you hitting with Sludge Wave for super effective? Pretty much only Wigglytuff. I recommend Focus Blast. While it's innaccurate, it has a chance to OHKO (I think no HP-investment) Mega Kangashkan.

@ Teal *Face palms* why did I put that smergal up I switched it last minute and had both on by accident the one you said is the one I`m using. Also I have Sludge Wave on there so I can hit fairies that can pose a threat I was thinking to switch it for Sludge Bomb, but if you think Focus Blast would be better than I`ll put in on.

@Ultimate Thanks for the suggestions and I was thinking on Rotom but its so generic and used by everyone out there. Predictable! Anything else you would suggest otherwise I`ll go with it.

Updating with current team thanks to Teal and Ultimate still taking suggestions tho.

I don't have any suggestions at this very moment, but I know 2 YouTube channels that do some Pokemon building (they create sets for some tough pokemon) TheJFlynn (TheJustinFlynn) and Verlisfy. Most of the actual pkm builds go on TJF's channel. They are really good and can be extremely helpful

What fairies? The thing is that you can't hit that many fairies with Sludge Wave. The only fairies that really are played in VGC are Mega Mawile and Azumarill, sometimes Gardevoir and Wigglytuff. Mega Mawile is immune to poison and you hit it with fire. Azumarill you hit with Thunderbolt. Wigglytuff and Gardevoir are special attackers so they only scratch you.

Also I recommend Flamethrower over Fireblast. I have come to regret the accuracy of Fire Blast too much and the only merit of FB is a 2HKO instead of 3HKO on Aegislash Shield... well, that if you don't miss either of those two... yeah.

Eh true honestly just ran into problems just now and I changed it so I`ll update again.

Use Close Combat on Heracross instead of Arm Thrust. After 5 hits, Arm Thrust has the equivalent of only 75 base power which is a joke.

Use Thunderbolt instead of Charge Beam on Washtom. The only 50 base power and pretty unreliable stat boosting that will only raise you +1 for every .63 times you use the move, not counting immunities, really isn't worth it. Thunderbolt is almost twice as powerful, is more accurate, has more PP, and has a chance for paralysis. Definitely worth it. While on the subject of Washtom, you may want to try a Calm nature and 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpAtk / 148 SpDef / 4 Spd. This way you can live a Mega Mawhile Play Rough or a Mega Charizard Y Solarbeam at full health.

Speaking of EV's, I don't know if you have any particular reason for these EV spreads and I don't pretend to be a VGC expert, but your Florges and Aegislash EV's look all over the place as though you just randomly distributed them. I'm probably wrong.

You may have more success using a Special or Mixed Aegislash, so you may want to try those out and see what you like best.

Also, I'd like to point out that an apostrophe looks like this ', not like this `. It's the key between enter and the semicolon. I have no idea what "Curacy" is supposed to be, but I think you meant "courtesy".

Stupid Freaking LAPTOP AUTOCORRECT!!! *calms self down* Sorry about that I typed out courtesy and it made a red line and then auto corrected without me knowing as usual till I see it and someone posts. Also on my laptop it says the ` is the apostrophe and ' is something else I don't know why.

As for my Florges and Aegislash`s Ev spreads it actually helps when I`m facing a Garchomp or T-Tar that has earthquake which helps them survive. (as long as Aegislash is in shield form) I was thinking on changing the rotom a bit the rotom came courtesy of ultimate and seeing it on the team I was surprised how well it blended but I saw it needed help. (as you said it was being 1-shot by Mawile on showdown) Also I am wary of using close combat because of the stat lowering and that can hurt him because right now he can survive a heat wave, moon blast, dazzling gleam, and moves like that at least one time. I`ll test out your suggestions and see if they work better I`ll update. Finally if you can give me a set up for a special/mix Aegislash I`ll see what I can do if I think its best.

Check said:
Stupid Freaking LAPTOP AUTOCORRECT!!! *calms self down* Sorry about that I typed out courtesy and it made a red line and then auto corrected without me knowing as usual till I see it and someone posts.
That's what I figured, lol.

In singles, Heracross generally runs 216 Speed EVs to outspeed Bisharp or Jolly with 212 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant Dnite and Gyara, so it might be a good option to move some HP EVs into Speed for some specific threats. Plus it would make the stat drops from CC matter less. EQ is also an option over Bullet Seed if you find opposing Aegislash annoying, plus it hits multiple targets.

For Aegislash:

move 1: King's Shield
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Substitute / Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword
item: Weakness Policy
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def/ATK
nature: Quiet
ivs: 0 Spe

Substitute to avoid Sucker Punches and status, Shadow Sneak for priority, Sacred Sword for coverage. The remaining 4 EVs can go to Def or Atk depending on the fourth move. Quiet and 0 IVs is to activate Blade Forme as late as possible and to be faster in TR.

I see I`ll think about it and thanks for the help guys its all been helpful! just so you guys know I need help with trying to get the pokemon for these so far I can breed for Aegislash and Rotom.

Cinesra, Charge Beam may seem useless, but when I was using it on Showdown, the 2 times I used it I got a boost, I was at half health when a Dialga came in, I burned it and proceeded to substitute. and hydro pump, I managed to take it down and suriving a STAB Draco Meteor and 2 STAB Outrages, even though Hydro Pump isvresisted by Dialga. If it wasn't for the x2 from the Charge Beam Rotom would have not defeated that Dialga and I would have lost the battle. It may have a .63 chance to boost, but Fire Blast has a .25 to miss, StoneEdge has a .2 chance to miss. It's always worth the gamble and in the end, it could save you a loss, and in this case, you don't want to lose in the VGC.
But it is entirely up to Check, also, if you go against a fast special attacker, and you see no point in WOW, then Discharge could be helpful as it has a bigger chance to paralyze in return for like 10/5 base power.

Um this is for nationals Ultimate not for showdown.

I know, but I was stating that when I was on Showdown, Rotom took down Dialga with the help of Charge Beam. It was an example of how helpful it could be against pokemon with the bulk of a legendary like Dialga. I was saying how Charge Beam isn't all that useless like Cinesra said. And also, in the nationals, that +1 Hydro Pump could save you a game.

You got lucky, seeing as how there's only a 40% chance of that happening. You're relying on luck whereas Tbolt has guaranteed power from the get-go. Hell, a +1 Charge Beam still does less damage that an unboosted Tbolt. It takes 2 boosts (a 40% chance) to be only 10 base power stronger than Tbolt, and is still less accurate and has less PP. Charge Beam isn't useless, but Tbolt is the safer and more reliable option. The boost chance may come in handy, but so too will 100% accuracy and immediate 90 base power to KO something quickly before it can KO you.

UPDATED! I fixed a few things and added some new things too. I can breed for the new Salamance and Crobat and for Aegislash but I need help breeding for everything else that is there. I also added 6 new Pokemon to the team that I believe blend well with the current; so help on these new 6 would be helpful too.

RE: (Updated!) Need Help For Nationals (VGC 2014)

Never use Hyper Beam on anything ever. Replace it with Draco Meteor on Salamence. It's powerful as hell and since Specs will make you switch more than you would otherwise, the stat drops don't matter as much.

Replace EQ on Kangaskhan with Return. EQ isn't boosted by Parental Bond, but Return is, plus it's STAB and has 102 base power iirc. You should move those HP EV's to Speed because it will be more useful to outspeed certain things such as Modest/Adamant base 100 speeds and below.

You already have Mega Kangaskhan, which is way better than Gardevoir, so I'd suggest replacing it with something else.

Like Kangaskhan, Speed is more useful on Bisharp, so move those HP EVs into Speed.

I have no idea why you're using Defog on Crobat in VGC where nobody uses hazards. Replace it with Taunt, which can actually support your team. Being faster than Talonflame doesn't matter when the entire reason people use Talonflame is because it has priority Brave Bird. Plus Talonflame has great secondary STAB with Flare Blitz. I'd say Talonflame is better because not only does it get what I've previously mentioned, but it also has Quick Guard and priority on Tailwind and Roost.

RE: (Updated!) Need Help For Nationals (VGC 2014)

Wow thanks for the advice but I wish you had said this 2 days ago my team is being leveled up as you read this post.

RE: (UPDATED 6/6/14) Need Help For Nationals (VGC 2014)

UPDATED! This is the team I`ve been working on and am using tomorrow at a premier challenge anything you want to say before then that I can change say so please. Also thanks for all the help guys this team seems great to me and after all this is going to be my 1st year doing VGC competitively instead of TCG and I thank you for all the help.

RE: (UPDATED 6/6/14) Need Help For Nationals (VGC 2014)

BUMP I`m thinking about switching Tyranitar for Talonflame so the data for Talonflame is above.

Back