XY Unova Starters now get Hidden Abilities

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this (still new and lurking)

But japan is now getting events with the unova starters.. These starters could potentionally have their HA (like any wondercard) and get the special move hold back.

Serperior
Ability: Contrary
- Leaf Storm
- Hold Back
- Wring Out
- Giga Drain

Emboar
Ability: Reckless
- Flare Blitz
- Hold Back
- Head Smash
- Take Down

Samurott
Ability: Shell Armor
- Razor Shell
- Hold Back
- Confide
- Hydro Pump

I'm not sure if this topic is relevant in the ORAS discussion threads despite being events for oras, but I guess worst case scenario a thread moved. ANYWAY.. HA unova starters finally being a thing!

The distribution methods are unclear, but it seems to be mostly via serial code from corocoro.

RE: Unova Starters now get HA.

HA Serperior is the most interesting out of the 3 having Leaf Storm that raises your sp.attack by 2 stages. I guess thats going to help him to get into UU. That and the buffed Glare move that he also can learn.
The others.. meh

I feel the need to emphasize; JAPAN is getting Unova Starters with Hidden Abilities. There is no proof that any other region will be getting these. I'm going to go on record as saying I doubt we will as we don't get half the stuff that they do. That means in a way the goodness out of this new might be for (Chest)naught.

Pikachu6319 said:
I feel the need to emphasize; JAPAN is getting Unova Starters with Hidden Abilities. There is no proof that any other region will be getting these. I'm going to go on record as saying I doubt we will as we don't get half the stuff that they do. That means in a way the goodness out of this new might be for (Chest)naught.

Why ? They cannot breed them and share them on wonder trade ?

scattered mind said:
Pikachu6319 said:

Why ? They cannot breed them and share them on wonder trade ?

Exactly.

Ugh, can we seriously just get the Johto starters already!? They are now the only group of starters without officially released hidden abilities..... -___-

When I saw this, for a second I thought, "Oh, awesome! Serperior with Contrary!" Then I checked its move pool. It needs a damn Hidden Power just to have any kind of type coverage outside of grass. FML

True Scattered Mind, they could (not to say they will mind you, that's something beyond all of our controls as we're relying on Japanese players to want to do this) breed for wonder trades. What happens for those of who can't/don't do Wonder Trades? What about those who want their Pokemon to be in English so they know what's on there (unless of course wonder trade does auto translations) since breeding doesn't mean the same moves are on them and it's safe to say alot of people don't know Japanese.

In my opinion it's just not a reliable way of doing this outside of Japan. Of course I could be taken by surprise with the news of English distributions, the truth is I said the same thing about the shiny Gengar event and we did get that here.

Who can't wonder trade ?
You just need wifi so I don't see the problem here.
When Pokemon Bank was only out in Japan we saw how the Wonder trade system got expload with pre-Kalos Pokemon. It is kind of safe to say that at least 1 player from Japan will wonder trade a ha Snivy and the next player that will get it will be able to breed it and send a bunch into wonder trade.
Heck, that will be really rare if no one in Japan will ever wonder trade ha Unova starter..In fact, I give it 2 weeks tops until wonder trade will have many of these starters.
Wonder trade does not auto translate but you can simply breed your ha Tepig with ditto to get your english Tepig :)

I've moved the thread to VG News & General Discussion as it relates to X and Y too.

If you ever aren't sure about where a thread should go, feel free to ask one of the moderators. :)

Thanks Ice Espeon,

In reguards to them being breedable in other regions, only the Japanese ones will be able to have the move hold back (not that anyone cares for it anyway..) so I guess that's something.. sorta.

scattered mind said:
HA Serperior is the most interesting out of the 3 having Leaf Storm that raises your sp.attack by 2 stages. I guess thats going to help him to get into UU. That and the buffed Glare move that he also can learn.
The others.. meh

This is going to be interesting in competitive. I feel like Mega sceptile and serperior will both see some competition over one another.. Mega Sceptile is the generally faster and more powerful one, while serperior has more utility in screens, boost it's stats reliably not counting accuracy can hold an item while not taking up a mega slot.. it's kinda like the clawitzer vs. blastoise debate. (which kinda goes backwards where blastoise is the one with utility) unforunantly the timing for him is pretty bad as birdspam is pretty much everywhere, rain isn't as big of a problem as BW, and there are many more checks like altaria and beedrill.

Reckless emboar sounds threatning too but he's too slow to scarf like staraptor and his typing it pretty bad.. banded flare blitz and head smash is scary.

Shell armor samurott though, ban to ubers. Still nothing going for him..

Back