Type: Null, Jangmo-o, The Aether Foundation, Zygarde Cells, and more in 'Sun' and 'Moon'!

Why does it seem apparent to me that the Ultra Beasts can play potentially the exact same role the Weapons have throughout the Final Fantasy series? Seemingly optional, non-canon bosses that are unbeliveably hard to kill when you work full time in the real world?

For people who keep wondering about Type: Null, this is what we know:

1.) It's based off of the mythical chimera.
2.) It was created for the purpose of fighting "Pokemon of mythology" aka Legendaries.
3.) It's helmet is similar to Mewtwo's armor from the movie, holding down its agility and latent power.
4.) Gladion has one.

Personally I wonder if they'll only be one Type: Null for us to catch, similar to Snorlax and Sudowoodo in previous games.

Firstly, they say that don't know if it has it's own will or not.
Secondly, we know very very little about Lillie other than she doesn't like battles and loves to read.

You... You realize this is, at it's core, a children's game, right?

Clearly the theory angers you for some reason, but it's completely possible that they could be the same.

Nobody knows if UB-01 has its own will or not, but we do know that Lillie does. She's Kukui's assistant for "personal reasons." She "doesn't like" making Pokémon battle. She's "read" a lot of books. UB-01 can't be her unless you want to think UB-01 has these characteristics only when it's in "Lillie form"

Even children will notice that UB-01 looks like Lillie. The description of UB-01 just downright says that it acts like a young girl. It's not difficult for any child to suspect that Lillie might be UB-01, so why would they say that if that's really the case?

I know it's early to be making conclusions at this point. I understand anything is still possible but given what we know now, we can make good guesses and cross out what won't happen.

Nobody knows if UB-01 has its own will or not, but we do know that Lillie does.
You keep saying that as though we know anything about either character. Pokemon are shown to have their own will, this one will be no different. They're just giving it an air of mystery.

Even children will notice that UB-01 looks like Lillie. The description of UB-01 just downright says that it acts like a young girl. It's not difficult for any child to suspect that Lillie might be UB-01, so why would they say that if that's really the case?
They make it quite obvious that they are extremely identical, you're right.
But, given that they likely won't over-complicate things too much, it's easy to assume that they are either the same, or connected for some other reason.

Nobody knows if UB-01 has its own will or not, but we do know that Lillie does. She's Kukui's assistant for "personal reasons." She "doesn't like" making Pokémon battle. She's "read" a lot of books. UB-01 can't be her unless you want to think UB-01 has these characteristics only when it's in "Lillie form"

I know it's early to be making conclusions at this point. I understand anything is still possible but given what we know now, we can make good guesses and cross out what won't happen.

Well, let's try to think about it from a different side. Imagine you're a young kid and you see UB-01 and Lillie, and you think they're the same and it turns out they are. You'd feel proud and happy you got it right.

Next side, what if this is just a red herring? UB-01 could be mimicking Lillie's appearance as it tries to learn about this world from her.

So at this point, it could be either theory. There's little reason to get upset over what it could be yet.

The ultra beatsts are called well "Ultra Beasts" in japanese and english, but they're called "Ultra Chimeras" in french. Make of that what you will.
Kinda reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist.
Nina D':

Last edited:
The Ultra Beasts just make no sense to me. Don't all non-human characters have to sign a contract with Game Freak that binds them into being toted around every which way by 11-year olds and ordered to kill random critters with elemental attacks?

So are the "Ultra Beasts" Pokemon???

That really is the million dollar question. It's hard to tell just WHAT the Ultra Beasts are, they're described as mysterious creatures with dangerous powers. But it'd be really disappointing if they couldn't at least function like Pokemon and you could battle with them. Ultimately I think they're something completely different but I think we'll be able to catch and train them.

That really is the million dollar question. It's hard to tell just WHAT the Ultra Beasts are, they're described as mysterious creatures with dangerous powers. But it'd be really disappointing if they couldn't at least function like Pokemon and you could battle with them. Ultimately I think they're something completely different but I think we'll be able to catch and train them.
We shall dub them Not Pokemon Pokemon

You keep saying that as though we know anything about either character. Pokemon are shown to have their own will, this one will be no different. They're just giving it an air of mystery.

They make it quite obvious that they are extremely identical, you're right.
But, given that they likely won't over-complicate things too much, it's easy to assume that they are either the same, or connected for some other reason.

Sure, I agree we don't know enough about each character, but we do have something.
What we know right now is that Ultra Beasts are not Pokemon, so we can't expect them to have Pokemon-like characteristics.

Just because it's easy to assume that Lillie is UB-01 doesn't mean that Lillie not being UB-01 is overly complicated. Like I said before, we've had relationships like this before such as in Pokemon heroes where latias likes to turn into Bianca because it likes her. Also in Destiny Deoxys where Tory befriends a green body of light that turns out to be energy signals from Deoxys.

Well, let's try to think about it from a different side. Imagine you're a young kid and you see UB-01 and Lillie, and you think they're the same and it turns out they are. You'd feel proud and happy you got it right.

Next side, what if this is just a red herring? UB-01 could be mimicking Lillie's appearance as it tries to learn about this world from her.

So at this point, it could be either theory. There's little reason to get upset over what it could be yet.

Wow, that's a super valid point there XD I'd call it genius even.
"Lillie is UB-01 because the children will think so, and it's important to keep them happy."
I can't believe I never thought about it that way haha

I'm just remembering that theory from before BW's release that Anthea and Concordia were Reshiram and Zekrom in human form.

I have my own theory about the Ultra Beasts that I'm quite fond of, but I'm fully aware of how silly and unlikely it is, so I won't bother saying anything.

Just because it's easy to assume that Lillie is UB-01 doesn't mean that Lillie not being UB-01 is overly complicated. Like I said before, we've had relationships like this before such as in Pokemon heroes where latias likes to turn into Bianca because it likes her. Also in Destiny Deoxys where Tory befriends a green body of light that turns out to be energy signals from Deoxys.

Fully agree with this. Wasn't it established earlier that Lillie had some mysterious creature in her bag? Maybe that could be the Ultra Beast or some kind of offspring from the Ultra Beast (which would indicate that they know and trust one another, which is why UB-01 took on a form that resembles Lillie).

Speaking of Not Pokemon Pokemon, Deoxys technically is a space virus mutated into a Pokemon. So it's likely other Not Pokemon Pokemon may have similar stories. There are other Pokemon that weren't Pokemon to start too, such as Banette and Yamask.

The website says UB-01 is an NPC, so I believe it rules out the 'Pokemon' possibility.

Here's all I have to say about this new batch.

Type: Null
Honestly... This thing is... Mildly horrifying. I feel like this is one pokemon I will NOT want, even if it's shiny. It's just so... Unsettling... Also, I wonder if it's a coincidence that it's face resembles Tapu Koko's.

Gladion
<insert Kids Bop Bring Me To Life cover here>

Aether Foundation
Now with them revealed and Type: Null and Gladion and whatnot, I can't help but feel like Team Skull is not the true villain here, but I don't think the Aether is necessarily bad. I feel like maybe it's one of the branch chiefs using their branch in order to do some shady stuff that Lusamine doesn't know about.

Ultra Beasts
I can't help but feel like Ultra Beasts are the SCP of the Pokemon world. I feel like 01 also looks the way it does possibly because it grew fond of Lillie. Perhaps it takes a smaller form to hide in her bag? But, one thing's for sure, I doubt all UB's look like this.

Misc
I love how Dexio and Sina are in the games. They look so adorable somehow. I'd seriously love it if they were there with Professor Sycamore and he is by the pool in a pokeball speedo lmao.

I'm honestly disappointed that they revealed UB-01 and Type: Null. I feel like they'd both be best as surprises to find in-game.

Here's all I have to say about this new batch.

Type: Null
Honestly... This thing is... Mildly horrifying. I feel like this is one pokemon I will NOT want, even if it's shiny. It's just so... Unsettling... Also, I wonder if it's a coincidence that it's face resembles Tapu Koko's.

Gladion
<insert Kids Bop Bring Me To Life cover here>

Aether Foundation
Now with them revealed and Type: Null and Gladion and whatnot, I can't help but feel like Team Skull is not the true villain here, but I don't think the Aether is necessarily bad. I feel like maybe it's one of the branch chiefs using their branch in order to do some shady stuff that Lusamine doesn't know about.

Ultra Beasts
I can't help but feel like Ultra Beasts are the SCP of the Pokemon world. I feel like 01 also looks the way it does possibly because it grew fond of Lillie. Perhaps it takes a smaller form to hide in her bag? But, one thing's for sure, I doubt all UB's look like this.

Misc
I love how Dexio and Sina are in the games. They look so adorable somehow. I'd seriously love it if they were there with Professor Sycamore and he is by the pool in a pokeball speedo lmao.

I'm honestly disappointed that they revealed UB-01 and Type: Null. I feel like they'd both be best as surprises to find in-game.
Wicked, also connects with Candle Wick, Aether has two meaning, either empty sky or a highly flamable liquid, combine that with the purple color scene, Red + Blue, like Pokemon Red and Blue, Team Flare, Team Aqua or Magma? Basically Wicked and part of Aether Foundation = Team Flare.

Who is Lillie again?

I officially want a new 3DS just to play this game. This may be the first game I enjoyed since Platinum.

Back