Type: Null, Jangmo-o, The Aether Foundation, Zygarde Cells, and more in 'Sun' and 'Moon'!

Yeah, Lillie is most likely UB-01. From UB-01's description to its appearance, note its head looks like Lillie's hat too. But this also makes me wonder if Lumasine and Gladion are also UBs. And if so, it would be cool if the UBs were fighting each other for something. It would give more reason to why Aether and Skull are fighting and would give Gladion a reason to own Type: Null, a Pokemon created to fight Legendaries.

Sina and Dexio are back... whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

They left Pokemon X & Y with quite a couple of loose ends so this is awesome. This is just speculation but I think they'll do something like GSC and allow you to go to Kalos at some point during Pokemon Sun and Moon. While it might seem like a dream, it'd explain several things like Sina and Dexio, the absence of Pokemon Z and the tourist that gives you the strange souvenir and said he didn't come from any yet discovered regions. If they leave Kalos as is and just randomly add Zygarde, then Gen 6 could be called a prototype generation because of how incomplete it was.

They left Pokemon X & Y with quite a couple of loose ends so this is awesome. This is just speculation but I think they'll do something like GSC and allow you to go to Kalos at some point during Pokemon Sun and Moon. While it might seem like a dream, it'd explain several things like Sina and Dexio, the absence of Pokemon Z and the tourist that gives you the strange souvenir and said he didn't come from any yet discovered regions. If they leave Kalos as is and just randomly add Zygarde, then Gen 6 could be called a prototype generation because of how incomplete it was.

We don't need to go back to Kalos. Other games have done throwbacks before and never included the region. Unova had the Team Rocket "hyuck" member now retired.

Wow, the Japanese trailer is so much better than ours. Lots of footage of Alola in the first minute, lots of Aether dialogue later, new music, actual editing. I don't know why we keep getting these incomplete trailers, but the essential version is here:
There's also another video in the "Train On" series with Shohei and Hoku on the Japanese youtube. The bromance is overwhelming in this one.

UB-01: Finally Pokemon is embracing Lovecraftian horror into its storylines? I'll be curious to see if the Ultra Beasts are just a set of legendary Pokemon, or if they're weird non-pokemon, non-catchable entities. Maybe they could work like Totem Pokemon, since this one kind of looks like a trainer.

Type: Null also strikes me as a legendary based on its description, but then we see it being used by Gladion. It's weird for a legendary to be controlled by an NPC, but then again, we've seen Tapu Koko under the control of Hala. I hope this gen doesn't introduce tons of legendaries that could have just been regular pokemon...

I'm interested to see more about the Aether Foundation and how they influence the storyline. Maybe they'll end up having a Team Aqua/Magma relationship with Team Skull? (obviously this time without the roles reversed depending on the game)

I got a very Aqua/Magma vibe from this dynamic as well. However, the Aether Foundation is being described pretty unambiguously as good guys. I don't think GF is trying to pull one over on us by giving them a secret harmful motivation. I don't really get what purpose they'll have in the game, but the fact that Skull and Aether both have grunts and the same admin structure is probably just meant to play up the Light/Dark themes.

Edit: Oh, I see you though the roles wouldn't be reversed. I was thinking you would fight Aether in Pokemon Moon.

Pokémon Snap in the normal game is awesome. I really like that they decided to include it in the same game as Sun/Moon and didn't try and milk cash out of a spin-off.

I don't know, this is more like Pokemon Snap with very limited functionality. You can only activate it in certain places, the pictures you take mainly seem like a sharing thing, and that frame rate, ugh!

It's a cool little feature for a main series game, but I still want a Pokemon Snap sequel!

Last edited:
We don't need to go back to Kalos. Other games have done throwbacks before and never included the region. Unova had the Team Rocket "hyuck" member now retired.
They haven't just left the third legendary of a generation without a game of it's own (or in the case of Kyurem, two games). Moves such as Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves were also programmed into the games but were never used. Its quite evident that Kalos needs to be visited upon again.

They haven't just left the third legendary of a generation without a game of it's own (or in the case of Kyurem, two games). Moves such as Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves were also programmed into the games but were never used. Its quite evident that Kalos needs to be visited upon again.

So? Many Johto Pokemon were programmed into RBY but never used. That's why Missingno existed. There have been games in the past with unused data before, Kalos isn't special. There's no reason to re-visit Kalos especially in Sun and Moon where it would be completely random to do so. Besides if Zygarde deserves its own game because of unused data, so does Eternal Floette.

Oops, forgot about Porygon-Z.

They say that Ultra Beasts are a mysterious threat, which usually means a challenge for the player. As for what role they'll play, who knows. Another thing, the link between Team Skull and the Aether Foundation is that the Aether foundation care for the Pokemon mistreated by Team Skull so its very likely that we'll see the Aether Foundation chasing Team Skull around. But I do agree with you, both don't just seem like your generic good guys/bad guys but we'll have to wait and see.
On the site it specifically says that Ultra Beasts are "a threat to humans and Pokémon", meaning that they themselves are not Pokémon. That was just my point. :p And that's the given link between Team Skull and the Aether Foundation, and at some point some bland-looking grunts were trying to "save" a Slowpoke from Team Skull. The story probably won't be too deep, but my headcanon is much better than whatever will be in the final games :UUU
So? Many Johto Pokemon were programmed into RBY but never used. That's why Missingno existed. There have been games in the past with unused data before, Kalos isn't special. There's no reason to re-visit Kalos especially in Sun and Moon where it would be completely random to do so. Besides if Zygarde deserves its own game because of unused data, so does Eternal Floette.
While it's true that we don't need to go to Kalos, and nor should we, Johto Pokémon were never programmed into RBY. There were some Pokémon in the games who were kept until later on into the series because they either ran out of time when finalising their designs and spriting them or a myriad of other reasons. A similar thing happens pretty much every generation. :p

I'm rather intrigued by the fact that this game seems to be a bit more plot-based than previous Pokémon games. Not only is the gym system turned on his head and changed into something much more involved, but we keep getting tidbits of other stories and connections as well. There's definitely some weird stuff getting hinted at, especially with the Aether Foundation and the Ultra Beasts, so I'm pretty excited to see how this goes.

While it's true that we don't need to go to Kalos, and nor should we, Johto Pokémon were never programmed into RBY. There were some Pokémon in the games who were kept until later on into the series because they either ran out of time when finalising their designs and spriting them or a myriad of other reasons. A similar thing happens pretty much every generation. :p

Fair enough, but they are what caused Missingno if I'm remembering correctly. So it's not above GF to have unused data that's never used or used later. Zygarde is getting its unused stuff now in S/M. Doesn't mean we're going to Kalos again.

Fair enough, but they are what caused Missingno if I'm remembering correctly. So it's not above GF to have unused data that's never used or used later. Zygarde is getting its unused stuff now in S/M. Doesn't mean we're going to Kalos again. In fact, Zygarde's never stated as the guardian of Kalos. It can be wherever it wants to be.

"When the Kalos region's ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its secret power." Zyagrde's dex entry

"When the Kalos region's ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its secret power." Zyagrde's dex entry

Fair point, I retract that part. Thank you for the clarification. I played Y instead of X, so my dex entry was different.

I don't agree that UB-01 "is" Lillie. Their designs seem related for sure, and we know Lillie has some kind of secret, but I doubt the secret is she's actually a transdimensional jellyfish beast coming to destroy Alola. Pretty sure she's a human girl.

Sina and Dexio are back... whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

I'm not a fan of this either. Or the whole Zygarde collecting quest. It feels very much like a leftover from XY and doesn't "fit" in Alola at all. I think sometimes GF is afraid there's not enough new content in their games, so they just throw features at the wall and it ends up being distracting to the main point. Zygarde collection in the postgame? Sure! But when I'm between trials, fighting Team Skull, training my team, and building up to Solgaleo and Lunaala, I don't want a collection quest for a last-gen legendary.

One thing I will say for Dexio though, is I absolutely must have his shirt. Like in real life.

tumblr_od39xrRfOR1t1c1cro1_400.png

Lots of interesting reveals.

Type: Null is some kind of chimera, which is a first for pokémon. It has a cool and intringuing design. However, they called it "Type: Null" yet is a Normal-type, which sure, is the neutral type in pokémon, but I think it would have been interesting if it actually had no type (return of ???-type). Also, the description talks about being able to adapt, and they give it Battle Armor. No Adaptability or a type-changing ability like Protean. Honestly, I think it might have a different, stronger form or a better hidden ability, at least. Also of note, it seems to have an Arceus-like chain around its neck.

I'll be honest, the Dragon-type is probably my favorite but the Dragon-types of this gen have been really underwhelming to me. Jangmo-o is no exception but it's the better one so far and has the highest chance of growing on me in a short time. I don't like its yellow head scale mostly. Other than that, it looks cool. Agree that it might be the first stage of the pseudo-legendary line.

Alolan Raticate = Ratatouille. Design-wise, it's solid. Nothing special, it's pretty much just a fatter raticate, but it kinda looks better too.

Not gonna lie. I thought Gladion was a girl at first.
Same here.

The Time difference between games is a nice touch and a reinforcement to the version exclusive gimmick...

Or maybe our hero will have to fight two evil teams.
Yeah, this Aether Foundation looks really suspicious to me. I think they might be the actual antagonists while Team Skull are just a bunch of punks...

I was expecting we would get a specific item to keep the Zygarde cells. Nothing really new here. Sina and Dexio making an appearance is interesting though.

About the Ultra Beasts... So, after the Megas, the recolors (alola forms) and composite pokémon (type: null -> kimeramon), we now have the D-Reaper in Pokémon too. Nice!
Jokes aside, not criticizing or saying they're ripping off Digimon but the concept is quite similar and reminds me of that. And that's a good thing actually, because until now, we only had humans and pokémon inhabiting this game world, and this is something else entirely. Lillie possibly being UB-01 is a good theory too.

Finally, Cutiefly's evolution looks neat but I hope it evolves one more time.

Last edited:
I don't agree that UB-01 "is" Lillie. Their designs seem related for sure, and we know Lillie has some kind of secret, but I doubt the secret is she's actually a transdimensional jellyfish beast coming to destroy Alola. Pretty sure she's a human girl.

Well another theory is the living thing Lillie apparently has in her bag could be UB-01 as well. UB-01 is a shapeshifter and could have taken that jelly-fish form to try and mimic her.

Well another theory is the living thing Lillie apparently has in her bag could be UB-01 as well. UB-01 is a shapeshifter and could have taken that jelly-fish form to try and mimic her.

That's a good theory, though we see it appearing from a portal in the Japanese trailer. But it definitely has the look of a shapeshifter trying to mimic her hat, hair, and dress.

So many new features! I absolutely love Type: Null, it's such a unique looking Pokemon. The time differences are cool as well and mini Pokemon Snap? Awesome. November can't come fast enough!

Back