Two Questions About Decks

Adam Ryder

Aspiring Trainer
1. What makes a deck a rogue deck?

2. What exactly are Tier 1, 2, 3 decks? I have never understood tiers.

Many people have different definitions of rogue decks. I consider a deck is a rogue deck if it does fairly well against a couple (or more) Tier 2-3 decks, and isn't played that much competitively. However as I said, different people will give you different definitions.

Tier 1 are the best decks atm. They do well wherever they go, and often these win Worlds if there are no Tier 0 decks (which Idt I've seen ever in Pokémon). Tier 2 are decks that are very good too, but one flaw or another keeps them from being Tier 1. It can be their speed, their consistency, etc. These can be as good as Tier 1 though, you just gotta know your deck.
Tier 3 are rest of the decks, and iirc rogues go here. They are often decks that do well in tournaments from time to time, but are too inconsistent/slow/rare to make any sort of impact in the game.

I mentioned Tier 0 earlier, and I'll explain what it is now. Tier 0 decks are decks that are so good that the format is 'play this or get rekt.' As I also said earlier, I don't think I've ever seen this in Pokémon. These have like 99.99999999% chances of winning Worlds, unless they somehow get bad hands or their opp gets lucky.

Hope this helped! :D

EDIT: Perhaps you could use this: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/forum-metagame-deck-discussion

Vom pretty much hit it on the head. Rogue is something that is not popular but is still viable and even good. The advantage to playing rogue is that your opponents can be caught off guard and probably won't have a counter to your deck. A good rogue is hard to make and is not something I'd recommend for a new player.

Tiers are ranking given to a specific deck (we make our rankings based off our own testing and tournament results). Tiers are constantly changing based off the evolving metagame. Tiers 2 and 3 are not necessarily worse than the tier 1 decks but they tend to need to play against a more limited variety of decks. These decks can still do insanely well if they hit the right matchups. Tier 1 decks are not without flaws but they just have the least amount of bad matchups, counter-plays, and flaws.

Thanks guys!

@Camoclone
I'm not a new player, but I never seem to have decks that are good or great.

Back