Tutorial and Resource Thread

NerdSparks

PM GFX Requests
Welcome to the new and improved tutorial and resource thread where we hold all of your graphic/artistic needs. Credits to all of the users who have contributed to the resources put in this thread all the way to those who have supplied ideas to it. Now without further a do:

Important Users:
Graphics
LilSparks101
SuperSleuth
Drawing
Xous
These are users who can/will gladly answer questions and help you with all of your needs.

Important Threads:
Common Courtest and Critique
The Midnight Designers: FRAGO-A great community of GFXers on Pokebeach eager to help.
Art Questions Thread-Ask specific questions that you may have here.
Soul Seeker’s GFX Art Gallery-A former great GFX designer on PokeBeach. Look but do not comment.
LilSparks101 GFX Art Gallery-Consistently updated with quality art to inspire you.
Xous’ Art Gallery-Consistently updated with quality art to inspire you.
Render Thread-Post and Look for Pokemon TCG Renders.
Super Sleuth's Gallery-Consistently updated with quality art to inspire you.

Informational Threads:
Art Dictionary #1 by Soul Seeker
Guide to Faking by Sonic Gal
Art Dictionary #2 by LilSparks101
Composition in GFX by Jytz
Dodge and Burn Tools by Jytz
GFX Tips by LilSparks101

Important Link:
Dzine GFX Search Engine
A wonderful tool to find any resource that you are looking for.

Tutorials:
Tortue Signature Tutorials
LilSparks101 Signature Tutorials
Sonic Gal’s Rendering Tutorials
Gliscor’s Tutorials and Tips
PokeFanJosh’s Tutorials
Userbar Tutorial
Gimp Logo Creation Tutorial by Pokemaister
Comic Bubbles
Speedline Tutorial
Drawing/Coloring Guidelines
These should have everything you need to create quality signature, renders, and userbars.

Helpful/GFX Sites
Planetrenders
Photobucket
TinyPic
ImageShack
Animerender
GFXresource
Sigresource
Gamerender
Deviantart

Help make PokeBeach a respectable GFX site by continuing to contribute to the GFX community getting involved in projects, and honing your own skills.

This is a great plan lilsparks, though I can't believe I am not on the list, but it's fine. This thread could be stickied though. A lot of peopel can come here to find what they need. :)

I missed your thread on my search, sorry. I assure you I was looking though. Just give me links to some useful stuff and I'll put it up ^_^

Yeah, this looks really nice and well thought out.

*Stickied*

dmaster out.

This is a great idea- it helps out the members new to this forum and it helps make this forum a bigger, better, and more functional place for the GFX and Artistic community here.

Dunno if anyone wants this, but here's a GIMP Watercolor Tutorial I made some time ago: http://karite-kita-neko.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-Watercolor-Tutorial-125816301

(This tutorial was simplified for users that are layer-illiterate.)

I think the gaussian blur was a bit too much, it looks like it was coloured using an airbrush rather than a watercolour brush (needs to have wet fringe effect)

Selective gaussian with a radius around 10 would probably be better IMO

Lol, Noobs are used a lot in that tut.

I actually have a tut almost done that Ill likely finish after I play MKW.

@FatalAeroX

You can just do a hue inversion (altering the hue by 180 degrees). That achieves the thing your tutorial does... in 1 step, and is what pros actually do ('pro' as in industry professional, not the slang term used on the internet to imply the opposite of noob). In fact calling it a colour inversion tutorial is a misnomer since a proper colour inversion does invert both hue and value (hence the 'negatived' look).

Plus hue inversion is way more versatile since you can change the hue by any specified degree.

Nah, its not my place to say whether or not a tutorial is or isn't suitable enough. Keep it.

Besides it does have a good side-effect: people who do try out that tutorial will catch on to the potential application behind the Hue blend mode used in layers (to alter the colour of something without affecting its brightness).

Now before someone confuses about the hue and colour layers...

Hue and Colour are 2 different blend modes, obvious from the fact that there is a Hue mode and Colour mode in programs like gimp and photoshop. They operate on the HSV model of colour: H=hue, S=saturation, V=value

If you use a Hue layer, painting on it will change the Hue of the layer beneath it. It doesn't matter if you paint with a bright red or a faded red, it will just appear as the exact same red.

If you use a Colour layer, 2 of the 3 factors are affected. Now the value is still unaffected, but the saturation IS now affected, so if you use a faded red, the result is you will get a faded red on the layer beneath. Brightness is STILL THE SAME.

Since both Hue and Colour do not affect brightness, they are very good layer blend modes for changing the colour of an object without messing up brightness. This is commonly used in things like photo editing (for example you can make a person's red shirt recoloured to blue). It doesnt take a genius to guess that colour mode is more versatile as it can achieve the same result as hue layer while doing things that the hue mode cannot.

A photoshop tutorial on speech bubbles
http://akeli.deviantart.com/#/d3j07dg

I personally just hand-draw all my speech bubbles. It takes like what, 2 minutes to lineart a round bubble at most? :p

Speedline tutorial using photoshop
http://blacklillian.deviantart.com/art/Speedline-Tutorial-60098810

useful for manga. For the record it's doable in gimp too as gimp also has a polar coordinates filter.

tootoorial_by_xierh-d40dpmv.jpg

Back