Tuesday, 5/2, VA Commentary

Malocide

Mewtwo User
RE: Tuesday, 5/1, VA Commentary

Cartoon Network and WB is like the same company.... makes no sense to switch like that...

anyway what they said about the episode was so unture for once I felt like I could watch pokemon and not fell like 7 year old nerd (no offense) I loved everthing abut the twisted plot and good and evil blured go PUSA... just work on the VAs...

and could they please release the transgender episode with James come on... your fans are growing up let the older fans expirece the true reality of James give him a femin vocie... sory I just hate when things are changed becasue of the stupid amercain cartoon standards and thats why it has problem it is consider a cartoon not an anime... why can't we allow it to be the way it was just translated... sorry off topic just my littel censorship sucks thing...

anyway I have no attachment to the old vocie actors if episodes contiue to get a littel more in depth and appeal to me as an older viewer I dont mind much about the voices allthough they kinda suck...

finnal awnser... Good episode except the voices...

bass_forte

ANet FTW.
RE: Tuesday, 5/1, VA Commentary

Wow, that was vicious. *shot*

I'm fairly neutral on the anime, considering I hate it, and that won't change unless the show, I suppose, 'grows up' - not that that'll happen, so whatever.

Out of interest, WPM, what made you go from supportive of the (former) VAs to supportive of PUSA?

Yoshi ex

King of Grass
The second I heard Ash's voice and everybody else, it was over, The only VA who even came close to doing a great job was Misty's. Did ya'll hear May, max,and especially Brock? I couldn't enjoy it the same way as with the old VAs. I just couldn't take it. If they don't get the old VAs back or someone one better then what I had to endure last weekend, Pokemon, in my opinion, doesn't have a bright future. Pokemon has come too far to try "something new". I grew up listening to Veronica and Eric and that's who I want to hear.

Boofu

Aspiring Trainer
The best scenario would be if Cartoon Network got the rights to air pokemon and then hired the old voice actors. Has anyone considered this option? The actors would have a job, Cartoon Network would be distributing a good product, and the fans wouldn't have to suffer through bad voice actors.

HaunterX6

Ghost Master
Boofu said:
The best scenario would be if Cartoon Network got the rights to air pokemon and then hired the old voice actors. Has anyone considered this option? The actors would have a job, Cartoon Network would be distributing a good product, and the fans wouldn't have to suffer through bad voice actors.

Agreed. this would be the best solution. HOWEVER, from what i gather, PUSA is still in charge of the show as a whole. they're just trying to work out a deal to let Cartoon Network air the show- most likely, CN won't have any other rights to it, other than airing/distribution rights. PUSA will still be in charge of producing the show, not CN. And so, with the old VAs bashing PUSA, it's rather unlikely for PUSA to hire them. You don't hire someone who's trying to run your reputation into the ground.

I do agree with WPM, that it seems like the old VAs are too concerned with getting their jobs back, as oppossed to the show as a whole, but, i guess i really can't blame them. They DO want their jobs back, for the money, but, also because that has become a big part of their lives. They're best known FOR their voices, and for the hard work, and many years put into the show. I'd be pretty P.O. if my career and legacy just got flushed down the drain, over such trivial things.

However, again, they're going about the wrong way with this. If anything, they should be supporting PUSA, and trying to work in a deal, for the VAs jobs, and for the fans' enjoyment.

All in all, PUSA is going in a good direction with the show. but the current voices just won't do. Until i hear some good VAs on the show, i refuse to watch.

Veyatii

EX. Strategist
This brutal and confusing. First they say that WB and 4Kids are bad and say Pokémon USA is the way forward. Then they shunn everything and want their jobs back at 4Kids. This is well and truley pathetic.

Mirage Master special was one of the best epsodes since the 6 vs 6 episode in the Orange League with Ash and Dragonite. Had the action, the attack animation was the best I have seen since Movie 2000 and finnaly they have show the 'no return' scene where Yung walks into the fire. 'It is violent'. PLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!! Shut your -****** mouths!!! That is the most PATHETIC talk I have heard about a Pokemon episode since the decision was made to cut the Dragonair episode beacause it had a GUN!! OMFG Pokemon has a gun! Lets ban it becaus emy kid will have trauma on the way to school!! Pathetic, pathe.tic.

Anyway, I left anime once it left ITV (UK) and 2 or so years I got back to it and found that 4Kids were the ones with a bad script and a downside on the action. I really didn't like it. The Mirage Master came in and my hopes were lifted. If this any direction as to how Cartoon Network and Pokémon USA are going go then the anime is coming back better than ever (though a separate, more adultish series like the manga would be PERFECT on an anime devoted channel).

The news I am hearing here however is imbascilic beyond compare. HOW. DARE. THEY!!!!!!

(*A SWORD IS BRANDISHED AND CUTTING NOISE IS HEARD OVER THE HILLS*)

Prime

Monisou Sentai Pokanger
Sorry WPM, but I do have to criticise you. You post news on your site a lot, and have been doing it for such a long time. You've stepped over the line now though. People who give news should NEVER involve their own opinions in the news. It just isn't acceptable. You can always post your opinion here on your boards, but it just isn't acceptable to force your opinion on all the visitors of your site. The people that give us news need to stay impartial when posting their news or the news will be corrupted and warped into something totally different.

I'm just appauled at how you went ahead and stated that the VA's didn't care about the show. That they just cared about getting their jobs back. Especially with no proof of it. You don't even know these people in person. After those people gave you exclusive information, you just slammed them because their views differ from yours, I don't expect to see many other inside people giving you information of any kind in the future.

Sorry Jon, you just slipped up heavily here IMHO.

animeforever04

Aspiring Trainer
atucaly i agree with wpm! all they are doing is moaning they have job for pokemon they try to get back so they can hack it again! bleh! i hate 4kids! also that lier Kazuhito at pokecommunity is spreading bs that pokemon was animated in usa!

ArrEmmDee

Aspiring Trainer
You have the exact same thoughts as I do. 4Kids is trying to screw the anime over, using as as the unwitting pawns with which to exact their revenge. Amidst a discussion on serebii's forums, I said this,

DO NOT EMAIL CARTOON NETWORK.

Similar to the new approach by the Kids WB! morning line-up for the fall, Cartoon Network is sort of in an anti-animé mood, and if it doesn't have really good ratings, they tend to put the show on at random times, and just generally screw it over.

Cartoon Network might not be inclined to pick up Pokémon at all if they find out the fans are in some sort of a angry protest, and just drop it. I'd say at this point it's unrealistic to think Nintendo would pay 4Kids to redub episodes probably already dubbed by another team, so all this is is 4Kids trying to screw PUSA over by using the average dullard fan to do it in.

Basically, if you want to see Pokémon on Cartoon Network, you're going to continue to e-mail PUSA (alternately, and what makes more sense, is to e-mail 4Kids and ask them to lower the price they charge PUSA to dub episodes), elsewise the show might not have any station to call home next season.

And shortly after someone said

If I understand correctly, to tell them that the fans want the old voices and only the old voices. If pressured enough, Cartoon Network might take the Pokemon from PUSA but on the condition that the have the old voice actors back on. If I'm wrong than you can ignore me or call me a loser, pick whichever you feel best.

Apparently--I don't have a reason to doubt it, but you know-- apparently then the person on the forum who signed up and says they're Maudie B. (voice of Meowth) agreed with them, and I made the point that

If was the head of a television company in negotiations for picking up a TV show, and all of a sudden I got a bunch of e-mail from fans saying they don't appreciate the show anymore or have some issue with the quality, I think it might be more inclined to completely cut off any talks of picking up the show as opposed to sifting through the e-mails and then having to figure out what exactly the issue is and then going back to the table and saying 'well, we will take it, but only if you cancel out all the translation work you've done so far and hire 4kids again and waste more money and this and that...'. Negotiations are for money reasons, not 'yeah well ash's voice sucks now'

This all sounds like saboutage more than anything, and I'd like some reassurance that if I e-mail 4Kids and ask the previous voice actors are reinstated that I'll be doing some good, as opposed to finding out come September I have nowhere to watch Pokémon.

She replied she was 'too stressed out to think about it'. A few posts later, she begins the rhetoric again. Dissapointing. She was probably my favourite VA, and then this-- it's like those kids who find out their hero isn't always perfect. I don't care though-- I'm worried we're messing up our chance to have Pokemon on Cartoon Network, and the worst part is that we're helping it along.

Nercinator

A Pokemon Collector
I agree with WPM too. The VA's are looking out for themselves and being ignorant of the fact that 4kids and the WB is a thing of the past now. The new VA's will probably get a lot better if given a few months to get used to their roles. If they don't by that time, then I'd say PUSA, or whoever has Pokemon at the time, should get rid of them. Let's hope Pokemon gets on the Cartoon Network and see if we can get the old VA's back however (because I agree that the having the old VA's back would be the best thing for the show).

FallenPhantom

Pokémon Ranger
I am putting my post where it truly belongs instead of the Mastermind thread:

I have just read the e-mails of Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart. And to think, I respected them...

"More violent than any other Pokémon episode ever to be seen…” I mean come on. *sarcasm* It truly was one of the most violent experiences in my life. I mean, forget Kill Bill, this blasted this out of the sky. *sarcasm* You all know I am kidding but when they are adapting something, how much you want them to cut up? She sounds like Pokémon fans can no take a bit of violence. A five year old surely would not run to his or her room and say, “Mews death was bloody mummy!” Next line of Veronicas that made me crack up in laughter…

“No way up to the standards 4Kids…set past eight years.” 4Kids…the standard? They changed the music every three seconds, the extras had terrible voices, they even began cutting out stuff in Pokémon…who heard of cutting things out in Pokémon? And what they cut out was not in the slightest violent I think. But I looked at Eric’s post and he honestly placed V. Taylor’s e-mail to shame…

“Amateurish and embarrassing…” If Mr. Stuart had cared to elaborate on how it was embarrassing, then I might take a look at the special and evaluate it again. But I fail to see what was terrible about it. He also said something about the voices being terrible which I say that, ‘This is there fist time adapting an episode, the voice actors will eventually get used to their voices and life shall go on.’

He then said, “The music was inappropriate and the sound mix was painful.” So, you say prob. the original soundtrack which Turner Network had the decency to keep is worse than the generic, cliché, down right awful music of 4Kids? That is the biggest pile of mushrooms I have ever heard (I am being nice here so the kiddies don’t go crying to their mummies saying, “FallenPhantom is violent11!11”)

Needed to get that off my chest. To Eric if you are reading this, you have lost my complete respect.

animeforever04

Aspiring Trainer
RE:  Tuesday, 5/2, VA Commentary

FallenPhantom said:
I am putting my post where it truly belongs instead of the Mastermind thread:

I have just read the e-mails of Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart. And to think, I respected them...

"More violent than any other Pokémon episode ever to be seen…” I mean come on. *sarcasm* It truly was one of the most violent experiences in my life. I mean, forget Kill Bill, this blasted this out of the sky. *sarcasm* You all know I am kidding but when they are adapting something, how much you want them to cut up? She sounds like Pokémon fans can no take a bit of violence. A five year old surely would not run to his or her room and say, “Mews death was bloody mummy!” Next line of Veronicas that made me crack up in laughter…

“No way up to the standards 4Kids…set past eight years.” 4Kids…the standard? They changed the music every three seconds, the extras had terrible voices, they even began cutting out stuff in Pokémon…who heard of cutting things out in Pokémon? And what they cut out was not in the slightest violent I think. But I looked at Eric’s post and he honestly placed V. Taylor’s e-mail to shame…

“Amateurish and embarrassing…” If Mr. Stuart had cared to elaborate on how it was embarrassing, then I might take a look at the special and evaluate it again. But I fail to see what was terrible about it. He also said something about the voices being terrible which I say that, ‘This is there fist time adapting an episode, the voice actors will eventually get used to their voices and life shall go on.’

He then said, “The music was inappropriate and the sound mix was painful.” So, you say prob. the original soundtrack which Turner Network had the decency to keep is worse than the generic, cliché, down right awful music of 4Kids? That is the biggest pile of mushrooms I have ever heard (I am being nice here so the kiddies don’t go crying to their mummies saying, “FallenPhantom is violent11!11”)

Needed to get that off my chest. To Eric if you are reading this, you have lost my respect. And Veronica is quite close to it to. More so to Eric.
they just wanted back so they can edited to heck and back again so no way for 4kids!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Prime said:
Sorry WPM, but I do have to criticise you. You post news on your site a lot, and have been doing it for such a long time. You've stepped over the line now though. People who give news should NEVER involve their own opinions in the news. It just isn't acceptable. You can always post your opinion here on your boards, but it just isn't acceptable to force your opinion on all the visitors of your site. The people that give us news need to stay impartial when posting their news or the news will be corrupted and warped into something totally different.

I'm just appauled at how you went ahead and stated that the VA's didn't care about the show. That they just cared about getting their jobs back. Especially with no proof of it. You don't even know these people in person. After those people gave you exclusive information, you just slammed them because their views differ from yours, I don't expect to see many other inside people giving you information of any kind in the future.

Sorry Jon, you just slipped up heavily here IMHO.
I involved my opinion because it is for the good of Pokemon. Like I said, if we were to e-mail Cartoon Network complaining about the situation, they would probably only air it under the conditions that the old VAs were back. However, this is impossible, as their contracts expired and PUSA set up contracts with new VAs. Thus, if CN stated that that be the requirement, and PUSA doesn't deliver, where does that leave the show? Gone.

I go to a lot of forums, and I do talk / have talked to the VAs through e-mail and on AIM and have seen what they have posted, especially VT. My opinion that they don't care about the show didn't come out of nowhere. Everything I said was carefully thought through, not just a spur of the moment thing that I typed up in five minutes. People who choose not to think about the situation will e-mail CN, and thus they will not know how they could potentially hurt the show.

The VAs do care about their individual voices of course, but what they are trying to get fans do is fight their battles, even if it means we lose the show in the crossfire, which is basically what we will be doing if we e-mail CN like they say to do. They know exactly what would happen if CN demanded the old VAs back and PUSA could not do so - they wouldn't air the show, and it would be gone. They want to take down PUSA and Pokemon just like they have been taken down - that is their goal. If 4Kids doesn't do the show, then no one can.

Like I said, I personally want the VAs back, but I don't approve of what they are posting and sending out to webmasters for us to post up (see front page). What they are doing will ultimately hurt us, and I am just trying to point it out to the people. There are much better ways to handle the situation than what they are suggesting, which is why I am lead to believe they want to take down PUSA with them. I really want them back to, but it just won't happen, and what they are doing is wrong and can ultimately hurt us all.

FallenPhantom

Pokémon Ranger
That is my point. But yet again, that is who they are marketing it for. 4Kids. ForKids. For Kids-so-we-can-have-a-reason-to-mutilate-an-anime. There music is terrible, their VAs are terrible to a certain extent. Just likeArrEmmDee said, I think we're messing up our chance to have the anime on Cartoon Network and we are helping it along.

Prime

Monisou Sentai Pokanger
WPM, it doesn't matter if your right and the VA's are trying to get their job back. It's the underlying princible. You post news. For the best of the community, you should be impartial in the posting of that news. Feel free to express your opinion about it on your own forums where discussion about the topic should be, but to blatently shove your opinion of what's going onto the visitors of your site is just wrong. If the poster of news cannot be impartial, who's to say that the information hasn't been editted to better conform to the poster's needs? All kinds of questions pop up when someone reporting news adds their own opinion to it. And that's why it's not good to do it.

And I am still astonished at how people feel about the VA's. Nobody knows these people, and they take a simple email, tear it apart, and label the VA's as people that don't care the anime one bit, and only care about their own job.

It shocks me too. Veronica Taylor had a few conversations with WPM, and I'm sure WPM thought she was a nice person. To go from nice person to total jack### is a large change, and all based on an email they sent WPM? Thats rediculous. It's not always so easy to label people after one or two emails from that person. I would think people would understand that before now. Guess not.

darkbamf

Aspiring Trainer

Prime said:
WPM, it doesn't matter if your right and the VA's are trying to get their job back. It's the underlying princible. You post news. For the best of the community, you should be impartial in the posting of that news. Feel free to express your opinion about it on your own forums where discussion about the topic should be, but to blatently shove your opinion of what's going onto the visitors of your site is just wrong. If the poster of news cannot be impartial, who's to say that the information hasn't been editted to better conform to the poster's needs? All kinds of questions pop up when someone reporting news adds their own opinion to it. And that's why it's not good to do it.
It's called an opinion-editorial. It happens all the time. Also, all news has bias. If that weren't the case, would we really need more than one news network? More than one newspaper?

And I am still astonished at how people feel about the VA's. Nobody knows these people, and they take a simple email, tear it apart, and label the VA's as people that don't care the anime one bit, and only care about their own job.
Have you read the e-mails? Is your interpretation of them that the voice actors only have an altruistic goal of wanting what's best for the show when some of those e-mails are along the lines of "Pokemon must return to 4Kids!"

It shocks me too. Veronica Taylor had a few conversations with WPM, and I'm sure WPM thought she was a nice person. To go from nice person to total jack### is a large change, and all based on an email they sent WPM? Thats rediculous. It's not always so easy to label people after one or two emails from that person. I would think people would understand that before now. Guess not.
I think you're putting words in WPM's mouth. He has not insulted anyone, especially not referring to any original VA as a "total jack###". In fact, there's been no labeling at all. All WPM did was address and counter what the e-mails put forth as supposed truth.

It's called debate. That happens in the news as well.

Tomokazu Komiya

He's cool. Sorta.
You can't say that they weren't whiny. They criticized every single aspect of the special, simply because they went into watching it with a closed mind, automatically assuming that it would be bad.

Prime

Monisou Sentai Pokanger
darkbamf, nope, it's called posting news the incorrect way. I'm sure you have never written for a newspaper before. The first thing I learned while writting for my high school's newspaper (when I was in high school LOL), was that when your giving news or information, you need to leave your biases or opinions at the table. When a person interjects their own opinion in the news and information, it leads people to not believe in the information as much or discredit the reporter themselves. Sometimes a person will want to give their opinion so badly, but they just have to withold themself from doing so. It only leads to trouble.