Trying to show someone Fullmetal Alchemist: Where to start?

Kecleon-X

124c41+
So I am trying to show my dad one of the series (In dub, as I have already watched the first and the majority of the second in sub) and I don't know what to show him in order to give him the gist of what it is to make sure that he wants to get into it.

I mean, the original series starts out with Edward exposing a false-priest; not that great of a first-impression in my book, but hey. Brotherhood, however, starts out with a great first episode and gives you a great first-impression, but there are elements from Brotherhood that wouldn't cross over to the other series, especially since I want to show him the original one first.

So what do I do? Do I show him Brotherhood's first episode to give him the gist of it, do I just YOLO it and go for good ol' Liore, or do I show him a later episode...? I'm at a loss. Suggestions?

Brotherhood is actually "the original" since it adapts the manga accurately, while the first anime is not canon in the manga. The manga came very first but it was unfinished while the first anime began to air so they had to make up another plot.

The first anima series began similarly to the mange more so than the newer series, with some fun filler episodes while waiting for new mange copies to be released, however, with one book every four months and only four chapter on average a book, the original anime had to stray off track into its own plot (such as why there is Dante and no Father)

The second anime starts off differently and then progresses directly into a straight-forward mirror image of the manga side a few fun filler episodes.

As far as where to start, just go with the first anime series. You still get the introduction, the Cornelo part isn't rushed, the main plot is more clear even though the Leto stuff isn't actually the main plot itself, and so on. The third episode shows in deeper detail how everything started out, and unlike the second anime, the fifth and sixth episodes, which show how Edward was put in the military, is actually shown. More developmental stuff is placed in the original series in just 8 episodes unlike the second where everything is dragged out accordingly to the manga.

Trainerhan1 said:
Wait, don't they expose a false priest at the beginning of Brotherhood?

Not the first episode, no. The second episode, sure, but the first is a great first impression episode.

But if I show him the first FMA series, the first impression wouldn't be accurate to the series as a whole. Then again, if I just go ahead and show him Brotherhood, then there is no problem. However, I would like to show him the original series first. But I dunno. What should I do?

You're trying to show your parents anime, and even worse, trying to get them to understand it?

You have my blessing.

Well, he watches Transformers Prime with me all the time. *shrugs* And I've been talking his ear off about this thing, so I guess he'll give it two shakes either way. Still, though, you have a very valid point. Hm. Should I show him Brotherhood first, or the original anime first?

Transformers is one thing, but this

tumblr_ldx1ogtnEH1qzfy8mo1_500_thumb.jpg

is another.

If it was me, I'd show him Brotherhood first, for no reason in particular. I just like it more.

You've been speaking on the basis of episodes too, so just to clarify, are you looking for a particular episode to show him the gist of the rest of them, or are you wanting to show him the entirety of one of the two series? If he's going to watch an entire series I'd personally say go with the original FMA- and by original I mean the first one into production. It's really all a matter of preference. I valued the voice acting in FMA over Brotherhood (mainly because of Al) and I preferred the order of progression. If you don't value those things as much, then it doesn't matter that much unless you care about going by the manga.

If you're just looking for an episode or a few to see how he likes it, again I'd say just go with the first because it kicks off showing the cause of the conflict that the brothers struggle with for the duration of the series. It will let him get an idea for whether he likes the subject matter or not. TBH, anyone who watches FMA needs to watch Brotherhood too, simply because FMA is an original, and Brotherhood is the real deal. But honestly I think he'll love both of them.

I'd recommend then watching Brotherhood, I really, really enjoyed the episodes I have watched. I have only watched 1/3 as I got it on DVD, but was really good.

Back