BW/BW2 Toxic Spikes; is it worth it for my Beedrill?

Gengar_is_Pwnage

Happy 20th Sonic (Since '91)
Hello all,

I'm currently EV training a Beedrill like so:

252 ATTK
252 SPD
4 HP

Or however it works out (too lazy to do the math)

But I want to see if Running Toxic Spikes is worth it for a Beedrill. I'm not entirely sure its the right idea.

The set up I have now is this:

Swords Dance
Poison Jab
X-Scissor
------------

Not sure what should go in that last slot

Mods, please move this if its in the wrong sub forum.

RE: Toxic Spikes. Is it worth it for my Beedrill?

If you're really intent on using Beedrill:

Beedrill @ Focus Sash
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Toxic Spikes
-U-Turn
-Knock Off
-X-Scissor

This set utilizes Toxic Spikes, but I really recommend using something else unless this isn't competitive. The only fully evolved Bug type that is worse than Beedrill is Kricketune, and that's saying something. Use Roserade for a Spiker if you want to.

See I like that set. Not too much to change at least (if I see anything I would want to out of personal preference). I already have the Jolly Nature on my Beedrill. Wasnt too sure about the item either.

But yeah, I really like Beedrill. He was my buddy back in Blue. So I was atleast in the right direction about everything but the moveset.

If I DIDNT use Toxic Spikes, what would be your suggestion/s?

If you didn't use Toxic Spikes, I would say Drill Run would be a good third offensive move. It adds a TON of coverage that you don't have otherwise.

squirtli said:
If you didn't use Toxic Spikes, I would say Drill Run would be a good third offensive move. It adds a TON of coverage that you don't have otherwise.

Can it learn this in B/W? Or just B/W2

Oh, forgot about that :x
It's BW2 Move Tutor only. I suppose Brick Break would work to a similar effect, but you still wouldn't be able to hit Ghosts or Poisons hard.

Choice Band Beedrill is okay, but there are so many other Pokemon that out class it in that aspect. You could also try Agility + Baton Pass, but the problem again is that Ninjask does a much better job.

The Yoshi said:
Choice Band Beedrill is okay, but there are so many other Pokemon that out class it in that aspect. You could also try Agility + Baton Pass, but the problem again is that Ninjask does a much better job.

I do agree with this, don't get me wrong. Yanmega does a better job than Beedrill, but with me its all a matter of preference.

If you want toxic spikes, you should probably change poison jab. The two moves clash a little since toxic spikes poisons, and so can poison jab, although not all the time. I would probably go with The Yoshi's moveset

Why not just use Toxic instead of Toxic Spikes? The reason I say this is because Toxic does far more damage every turn and Toxic Spikes only poisions one time and you have to keep using it when a Pokemon Switches out. Toxic is a lot more powerful compared to Toxic Spikes. It has a 90% accuracy too I think. Toxic Spikes is not that good in my opinion XD.:)

xxashxx said:
Why not just use Toxic instead of Toxic Spikes? The reason I say this is because Toxic does far more damage every turn and Toxic Spikes only poisions one time and you have to keep using it when a Pokemon Switches out. Toxic is a lot more powerful compared to Toxic Spikes. It has a 90% accuracy too I think. Toxic Spikes is not that good in my opinion XD.:)

Two layers of Toxic Spikes does the exact same thing as Toxic, except you don't have to use it over and over again. "Toxic Spikes only poisons one time and you have to keep using it when a Pokemon Switches out." <- This is completely wrong. Toxic Spikes stays on the field and will poison any non-Flying, Poison, Steel, or Levitating Pokemon that comes in at any time, unless they are blown away by Rapid Spin or absorbed by a Poison-type.

Well, I do thank you for your opinnions. They are very helpful since I'm not to knowledgeable in the VGC (although I DID know about Toxic Spikes always staying on the field unless those exceptions are met).

My team kinda looks like this. This is why I want some more Type coverage with a bug. Beedrill was my first choice due to the speed, and high attack stats. He just gets in there, scouts and gets out.

Muk
Tangrowth/Ferrothorn
Washtom/Freezetom
Empty
Empty
Empty

I'm trying to figure out those last three Pokemon I was thinking of Registeel in one of those slots. I havent been in the competitive scene since RBY and GSC. I need to catch up :p

Oh wow. I did not know that they can poison Steel types since they are usually immune to poison XD. Well If you have both moves use them then XD.:)

xxashxx said:
Oh wow. I did not know that they can poison Steel types since they are usually immune to poison XD. Well If you have both moves use them then XD.:)

It can't poison Steel-types... Steel is immune to Poison-type attacks. Only Twineedle can poison Steel-types.

squirtli said:
It can't poison Steel-types... Steel is immune to Poison-type attacks. Only Twineedle can poison Steel-types.

Twineedle lost its ability to poison Steel-types in the 3rd generation.

Back