Tornadus or Thundurus?

DarknessGrace

Vilegar Forever!!!
Which is your favorite and which do you think is more playable? I think tornadus is more playable just because he is colorless, which means he can fit in any deck, plus he doesn't need any specific energy. Tell me what you think :D

Tornadus is obviously better. Fighting Resistance, can use DCE to power things up. A really great addition to Zekrom decks that I've been seeing.

Thundurus...is just bad IMO. Worse version of Zekrom that has none of the good things going for it. Even when the eventual rotation happens, we'll still have Zekrom which will always be the superior choice out of the two lol.

dmaster out.

I agree with Dmaster on this one, Tornadus is better because it can abuse DCE and help you get set up while 2 shotting donphans and they ahe to 3 shot you. The fighting resistance puts it over the top on this one.

Thunderus might be playabe, just Zekrom is better /thread

Tornadus. It can serve as a Donphan counter for ZPS, can use DCE, and powers up your bench while attacking.

Thunderous is ok, but Zekrom is just better.

Tornadus is better. It can abuse DCE with only 3 colorless energy to attack. Also, it can 2-shot Donphan Prime.

Will have to say Tornadus here. It can use Double Colourless so it only needs two turns to build up (excluding any pachirisu-shaymin combos) and then it's attack can still help you set up other pokemon since you move the extra energy onto a benched pokemon anyway. Plus, it can OHKO a Phanpy and take out a Donphan Prime with 2 hits.

Thundurus could be used as "Zekrom 5-8" in a fast ZPS deck that aims to donk and it's true that there are a few things he can do that Zekrom can't, but overall Zekrom has better damage output which will make it more likely to appear in decks then Thundurus.

Tornadus>Thundrous

Why so? Tornadus is just overall better than Thundrous. Tornadus abuses DCE, can hit for some nice damage, and acts as a very good Donphan counter because he is resistant to Donphan and can 2HKO it. Being a basic, this makes him a pretty good card to play, and it is already finding its way into Zekrom builds because of how easily it takes care of Donphan compared to Yanmega.

Thundrous is just downright bad to play right now. He's basically the poor man's Zekrom. Zekrom can do a way better job attacking than Thundrous. Thundrous hits for 80, while Zekrom hits for 120, and Zekrom can take advantage of Outrage as opposed to Thundrous. Plus, compared to Tornadus, he's weak to Donphan.

Thundurus is an overall terrible card, being an inferior Zekrom if you are nice to it. It has nothing going for it, and I mean nothing. Being OHKOed by Donphan's Earthquake and either of the dragons is just terrible, letting well over half the metagame OHKO you. Add that to a 80 damage cap and there is no reason anyone would play it except at a PR. Tornadus, while still being OHKOed by the dragons, is 3HKOed by Donphan while it 2HKOs it back, making it a decent Donphan counter. In other words, Thudurus is a horrible, useless card while Tornadus counters a top metagame threat. [/thread]

I (Unlike everyone else here) prefer Thundurus. Play as active turn 1, attatch energy and use charge. turn 2 attach another energy and 80 damage to OHKO tepig, yanma, gastly, larvitar and all others. add Burned Tower and Energy Retreaveal (Spelling?) and your hand gets way too many energy. I play Thundurus and Tornadus and I prefer Thundurus to play with. I added Cheren and Bianca to get the energy I need. I never get a lot of energy in my discard pile, at least not yet (I play A LOT). Even though Zekrom does more damage and benefits from the damage it gives itself with outrage you cant use Bolt Strike until turn three if you have no energy in your Hand for Pachi. Also to do 80 turn 2 with Tornados you need to get lucky and draw a DCE, all in all I think Thundurus is just better.

(I'm so glad I pulled 2 tornadus at PR's for the swiss rounds, hehehe), does 80 by t2 ,set's cards with a t2 - t3 setup rate to t1 - t2, this being said I can see this card as a universally played card in pretty much any kind of deck. Setup rate between tunderous and tornadus is the same, however tunderous versus zekrom, zekrom is way more useful in the regard of outrage's incredibly useful dual 1hko rate against donphan, magnezone, etc, etc and bolt strike's 120, zekrom rage's tunderous, nuff sed.

olimar1023 said:
I (Unlike everyone else here) prefer Thundurus. Play as active turn 1, attatch energy and use charge. turn 2 attach another energy and 80 damage to OHKO tepig, yanma, gastly, larvitar and all others. add Burned Tower and Energy Retreaveal (Spelling?) and your hand gets way too many energy.

That is an unlikely setup banking on your opponent going second. For Zekrom's higher damage output and the high possibility of setting up using Pachirisu+Shaymin, the clear victor is Zekrom.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
That is an unlikely setup banking on your opponent going second. For Zekrom's higher damage output and the high possibility of setting up using Pachirisu+Shaymin, the clear victor is Zekrom.

dmaster out.

yet I play Thundurus as a start and whether I go 1st or 2nd I always can do 80 damage on my 2nd turn. And still To use Pachi you need extra energy in your hand plus 2 shaymin or 1 shaymin and super scoop up and try to get a heads.

like I said before, T1 attatch energy to Thundurus and use charge. T2 attatch another energy and use Disaster Bolt To knock out almost every basic you can think of (Not Reshiram or Zekrom though).

Thundurus is the better card, however that does not mean it should see more play. If Zekrom would not in the format, it would be being played like crazy, but last I checked, this card is outclassed by Zekrom in every way. There is no reason to play the worse version of a card that is already legal, unless you are trying really hard to be a rogue player, which is just stupid. If there is a better option available, play it. Tornadus is ok, I guess. I have mentioned in several other threads though, that most Donphan variants are prepared for its typing, because it is so similar to Yanmega. They will probably be carrying Ruins of Alph, or Zekrom, which makes Tornadus a useless counter. IMO Tornadus is a slightly better card for this format, but I don't think either of these cards should ever be played in the first place.

THe only time Thunderus becomes more playable than Tornadus is during prerelease. One can even try to run Tornadus in a stage 1 rush due to Tornadus using DCE itself.

I'll admit that Tornadus is better in most aspects, but Thundurus's Charge attack is actually really useful and overlooked. The two can work together pretty well.

I think pretty much everybody can agree that Tornadus is better in a format where Donphan is as popular as it is. I'm not really sure if I like 1 Thunderus in a Zekrom deck or not; it does offer nice energy acceleration but I'm not sure if it's worth the spot or not, seeing as you're already running Tornadus. But barring in Zekrom, Thunderous has absolutely no use.

I don't get why Thundurus is good at all. Zekrom can do basically the same with recoil that's probably about as bad (maybe even better once Eviolite comes out). Oh, and it has a much better first attack and 20 more HP (correct me if I'm wrong on the HP part, but I don't think I am).

Since Thundurus could really only work well in a Zekrom-like deck, I don't get why you would use an inferior version.

Tornadus can win against Zekrom's main weakness (Donphan) as well as keep your energy moving around. It's DCE-compatible and has an attack with so much less recoil- in fact, moving an energy to the bench can be a good thing if your Tornadus is going to be KO'd next turn (or even if it's not, and you want to retreat to a Zekrom next turn, you can use its attack and then not have a partially-charged Tornadus stuck on your bench.

Well Zekrom can't energy accelerate. Thunderus is like a 5th Zekrom in the first couple turns when nothing has more than 80 HP. That makes better starts and therefore makes for more donks. When you're in a pinch, you can use Thunderus then Shaymin the energy somewhere else. Also Thunderus doesn't damage itself so after attacking you're left with 110 HP, not 90. You don't always have a Defender.

I liked tornadus when i first saw the card, and I still think it's better. But zekrom and thuderus you can compare but you can't at the same time. By themselves, thunderus is better. It can attack with 80 turn two when zekrom takes three turns to do 120 then 40 to itself, but if you can get the pachi and shaymin with zekrom it's better. They are all great cards. Both Tornadus and Thunderus can do 80 turn two which is awesome. It all depends on personal preference.

Back