Top 4 Decks to Test Against to Prepare for BRs

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
thefleeee said:
I would honestly say the top 4 are DD, Stage 1, KYJ, MegaZone

So your saying nobody will use Reshiphlosion/Boar, winning decks at worlds? I'd say the top 4 to prepare against are Reshiphlosion, Metajudge. KYJ, and Goth Jelly. There will also be people trying their hand at google's deck. I think there won't be as many D&Ds out because no one running it did that well at worlds or nationals, although there will be some. Bearplume will be tried out but few will stick with it for a while and simply due to it going far at Nationals Stage 1 rush will see play. ZPS might not be played that that much but it will still be a viable deck and people may use it.

thefleeee

Uber N00b
Reshiphlosion will be popular, but I think more people in my area will be using stage 1's as most of them went to Nats

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
MegaJudge, Stage 1, DD, TyRam.
Simply the most played and most consistently good decks right now.
[/thread]

Ironman785

Get on my level
Im thinking right here
Stage1s- This deck is to fast its not funny it can take three to four prize cards on any deck before they get the correct set up and can counter most decks in the format with the correct techs.
TyRam- People are going to be playing this deckalot due to the fact of how good it is and coming up from behind and hitting hard all game.
Mewbox- This is an amazing deck if played correctly and with the right list it can beat anything.
Vileplume.dec- Vileplume is just a nuisance and has amazing support cards such as Sunflora and is extremely easy getting out by T2 or T3.
And that's my input on what's gonna be a good play for worlds.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'm doubtful Magneboar will get many wins. It gets much weaker with Catcher out. Also, it takes a huge amount of skill to play the deck in a speed-dominated format. A lot of the people playing it will probably be netdeckers who didn't test and just want to play it because it won.

Why no love for the Vileplume/Reuniclus variants? They're borderline BDIF right now.

Vulpix Yolk

\ \ durant gang \ \
I'm pretty sure that almost everyone on this thread has mentioned Trainer lock, and trainer lock with Reuniclus falls under that category. I haven't ever played one, but would it get wrecked by early game Catchers too?

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
No not really. Ideally you hit T2 Plume, but with Pichu you can get out 2 Solosis and 2 Oddish right off the bat. Then when they kill one of them you Twins for the evolution and Rare Candy then get it out. If you run enough Communication and Candy, you can often setup without them killing anything either, basically forcing them to take an early prize.

The only thing really capable of stopping setup is if they get out a Kingdra and Yanmega going first, Spray Splash a Solosis and kill the other one when you either don't have the evolve or you already have Plume out. Because then they can Spray+Linear the Duosion before you evolve it again into Reuniclus. However, if you play smart, you can get Chansey out the second you see Horsea and (hopefully) avoid the situation.

Decmaster

Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
corabed said:
If a person only tests against four decks it's incredibly unlikely they'll win anything bigger than Battle Roads. (Because they don't know the deck there playing against, NOT because there a bad player).

[/thread]

This is absolutely true, and I think that it goes a lot further than that, bringing it to that every decklist is unique and would have to be tested against separately. Because, lets look at it in unlimited. Yanmega Prime may have a great matchup against TyRam, but what if they tech in a Dialga G Lv.X (I'm not saying they can, I'm just using it as an example)? It just goes to show that every list is different, and that you really need to be testing against techs as well as decks.

Just my two cents.

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
^With Catcher, the use of techs is pretty hindered. Similarly, unless it's a very common tech (a Reshiram or two in Magneboar or Kingdra in Yanmega/Magnezone, for example) you simply can't test against all the possible techs. Lists that get too teched out tend to be pretty inconsistent. The most accurate testing of a matchup comes from playing the most consistent version of a deck against a player who knows what they're going. While it's great to test against every possible tech, it simply is not practical time-wise for most people. The way I test is I first play my list against a very consistent version of the deck for 10 games or until I think I've got the hang of it. Then I play against a list teched specifically to beat my deck - no sense testing my Yanmega/Magnezone against a Reshiram running a 1-0-1 Samurott they use in the mirror. However, testing the deck against a Yanmega/Magnezone/Kingdra deck is well worth my time.

thefleeee

Uber N00b
BRs is a place where people test out their decks, so I agree with the above... 4 decks are going to be popular but the techs will be infinitely possible

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
Stage 1's (MegaZorD really...) is going to be be heavily played, mainly because at worst it'll be Tier 1, at best it'll be BDIF, and has great matchups across the board.

TyRam will see a lot of play due to its Worlds showing, and just by the whole fact that it's the easiest deck in the format to play, taking absolutely no skill whatsoever to use (someone try to argue with me on this please).

google Deck will see many copycats but none will do well. This is mainly because the overall skill needed to play this deck is extremely high, along with the fact that not all of use (well, 90-95% of us) do not have a Tropical Beach promo which after testing I realized is needed for the deck to do well, along with an amazing understanding of the metagame.

MewPlume I put in the same boat as google Deck. Everyone will flock to it because Ness played it, though unlike google, it'll be easier to build/play, though I still don't see if doing well against MegaZorD or TyRam without exstensive practice.

MegaJudge will see a dip in play due to people being afraid of the Stage 1 and Tyram matchup, though it still has some hope.

Zekrom will still be missing something for BRs...but that changes once Eviolite comes out. Then it becomes insane. Any good list though right now is playing Tornadus.

My 2 cents.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
ashinto said:
TyRam will see a lot of play due to its Worlds showing, and just by the whole fact that it's the easiest deck in the format to play, taking absolutely no skill whatsoever to use (someone try to argue with me on this please).

You asked for it. How is it any easier to play than most of the other decks? ZPS, pray for donk turn 1 and if you don't get it swarm zekrom as best you can. Yanmega-kill the opponent's active if it's troublesome, if not just spread a bit of damage with yanmega and kingdra then devolve with rachi for game. Megazord-scout the opponents deck then swarm whatever works best against them. I don't think Tyram is that hard a deck to play but it is no where near the easiest.

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
TyRam is a fairly easy deck to play, but it does take skill- timing your Catcher, PlusPower, Defender drops and knowing when it's better to get out what all take a lot of practice and/or skill. Believe me, someone playing it for the first time will be far behind someone who's played it for a while.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
I think that more than 4 decks should be tested against, but if I had to pick 4, these would be them; Reshiphlosion, Donphan & Dragons, Stage 1 rush and MegaZone. Though all together, a complete list would be: The listed above 4 decks, BearPlume, google's deck, ZPS/Tornadus, Mewbox/Vileplume, Jumpluff/Cinccino, Gothitelle, Scizor Prime, KYJ, ReshiBoar, KingBuzz and rouge decks that may beat your deck or that you think may do good.

GyaradosPrime

Aspiring Trainer
Does anyone think that the google box deck and variants will see play
? Just from browsing the trade thread I can tell alot of people, including myself are looking for components in that deck like blissy and ESL (

ashinto

Aspiring Trainer
Dark Void said:
You asked for it. How is it any easier to play than most of the other decks? ZPS, pray for donk turn 1 and if you don't get it swarm zekrom as best you can. Yanmega-kill the opponent's active if it's troublesome, if not just spread a bit of damage with yanmega and kingdra then devolve with rachi for game. Megazord-scout the opponents deck then swarm whatever works best against them. I don't think Tyram is that hard a deck to play but it is no where near the easiest.
You have me at ZPS, but I really don't see that as a deck until Eviolite comes out. HorseMega takes a lot more skill than you stated, it is actually a deck that takes some thinking. I really haven't tested Megazord as much as I would like, but TyRam is still the easiest deck in the format to play. You can make the arguement that you need to time the catchers and pluspowers, but so does every other deck using them. There is no varying stradegy with it, you just do the same thing every single game. The thing is, it's a good deck, which means that a lot of copycats who aren't as good players will be using this and doing well just because it is so good and easy.

GyaradosPrime said:
Does anyone think that the google box deck and variants will see play
? Just from browsing the trade thread I can tell alot of people, including myself are looking for components in that deck like blissy and ESL (
As I said in my first post here, google Deck will be played, though it will not do well due to the lack of Tropical Beach in the deck and the overall skill needed to play the deck.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
ashinto said:
You have me at ZPS, but I really don't see that as a deck until Eviolite comes out. HorseMega takes a lot more skill than you stated, it is actually a deck that takes some thinking. I really haven't tested Megazord as much as I would like, but TyRam is still the easiest deck in the format to play. You can make the arguement that you need to time the catchers and pluspowers, but so does every other deck using them. There is no varying stradegy with it, you just do the same thing every single game. The thing is, it's a good deck, which means that a lot of copycats who aren't as good players will be using this and doing well just because it is so good and easy.

You don't see the deck that won Canadian and Mexican nationals as a deck? True, those aren't huge tournaments, only about the size of an American Regional, but that's still a tournament win. for the deck. With Reshiphlosion you must also choose whether to put damage counters on a Reshiram to charge it faster or whether to use manual attachments and keep it healthy, whether to have ninetales draw through your deck faster and equip the energy with afterburner or to manually attach them, whether to 2HKO something with outrage or blue flare it but lose energy which must be afterburnered, etc. I agree it isn't that hard to play but it is definately not the easiest.

Ty W

Reshiphlosion takes skill if you truly know what you're doing (I know that contradicts itself, but it's the truth.) Kingdra Yanmega Jirachi is the hardest deck in the format to play. Trust me, I probably have more experience with it than anyone else on this forum.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
KYJ is the hardest deck to play for sure. I've been playing it for 2 months. Because of that, it won't see much play. TyRam really isn't that hard.

ZPS is a deck to worry about, and gains the most from Catcher. There aren't really any techs to counter it though.

GyaradosPrime

Aspiring Trainer
what makes kyj so difficult? im still relatively new to meta play and i have never played or played against this deck. i do agree that zps will be better with catcher and see more play.