Ruling TMs discarded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

He's baaaaaaack.
So yesterday, our TO told us that TMs get discarded at the end of your turn. I said no they aren't and everyone of course sided with him.
...so are they discarded at the end of your turn? Mismagius and Porygon-Z from IFDS basically tell me "no"

It's a ruling from the e-Card sets, when TMs were last used. It said right on the card that they were discarded at the end of your turn. However, it no longer says that on the new TMs, so it's believed that they aren't discarded, although everyone is still waiting on an official ruling on that.

EDIT: Fun fact: In the Legends Awakened rulebook, it says:

Rulebook said:
(Certain types of Trainer cards, such as Pokemon Tools and Technical Machines stay in play, but they'll say that on the card.)

In the glossary of the same rulebook:

Glossary said:
Technical Machine: A kind of Trainer card that you attach to your Pokemon. Each Technical Machine card has an attack on them that, when attached to your Pokemon, your Pokemon can use as if it were its own. Technical Machine cards are discarded at the end of a turn.

Such being the confusion surrounding this matter.

I do have terrible luck with them :|
I don't see why we don't have an official ruling on this yet.
Also - He tried to tell me that if my ditto is against a Gliscor LV X, I can't use burning poison or pester. only night slash. I told him that Kaga and the Compendium say you can and he still ruled against it.

Technically, Ditto has the same moves and hp stats as the defending pokemon, and Lv.Xs still count as their non-Lv.Xs counterparts, so Ditto can copy the attacks of either one.

EDIT: I looked into the rulebook and AC was right. :/ What's going to happen to LA Crawdaunt if they can't stay on?

The OLD TMs were discarded at the end of your turn.

The NEW ones are not. That's the end of story. People are using the old rules with the new cards, which isn't right.

The OLD TMs were discarded at the end of your turn.

The NEW ones are not. That's the end of story. People are using the old rules with the new cards, which isn't right.

This is an incorrect speculation. It states in the rulebook for LA that all new TM's also get discarded, they just are not in the rules text in the card.

Believe it or not, reading the actual rulebook in your theme deck is actually a lot more helpful than you might think.

Your TO is not crazy.

i am pretty much 100% sure that they don't get discarded because it doesn't say that on the card also it would make P-Z's power pointless and the league leader and most people in my area agree on this as well

Naki, quite obviously you didn't read my two threads complaining about my TO. He is very crazy.

Erk, I didn't notice what was being asked here.

TM's ARE discarded after use. However do not leave play until they are used. This is the limit of the confusion. But when they are used they go byebye.

This is one very mixed up ruling... I thought for sure the TM stays even after use. But the rulebook actually says outherwise.
ARGHH!! Make an official ruling! Quick!

Stigma said:
Okay, so if you don't use a TM it stays, but if you use it it goes away?

Doesn't sound like it. According to the glossary, TMs are discarded at the end of a turn, implying that whether they're used or not, they're gone after you attach. The old e-Card TMs had the same wording.

man... Stigma and my TO (we have the same one) is crazy. the TM's aren't discarded... It would say that, like it says 'you may play only one supporter per turn' on supporter cards.

Guys, I'm putting an end to this thread.

This question has been asked many times on Pokegym and on the Professor forums (I asked it myself there). So far, it has not received an answer. which means that apparently there is a debate about whether or not these get discarded. With as long as it's been sitting without an answer, the question has most likely been referred to PCL in Japan for a final ruling.

Until we receive an official ruling, I would rule that if the card doesn't say to discard, then you don't discard it. It's quite possible that the bit in the rulebook glossary is in error, or is the result of someone jumping to conclusions based on the old TMs (those all got discarded, but they all specifically stated that in the card text as well), or is simply old and obsolete and no one caught it to update it.

Mike Liesik said:
I just receive [sic] confirmation that the Glossary entry is outdated, and will be removed in rulebooks after Stormfront (which has already gone to the printer). The TMs from Legends Awakened are NOT discarded at the end of the turn. They remain attached.

Thread officially over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back